Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Aug 5, 2019, 09:11 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Default Age of Wonders: Planetfall (August 6th 2019)

Age of Wonders: Planetfall comes out tomorrow, anybody going to play it?

If you played AoW 3 then it's quite similar to that. It's basically like Heroes of Might and Magic. You explore a world map with your armies (probably led by heroes) and whenever you collide with enemies you enter a turn-based tactical experience. This time it's sci-fi themed, so in general you see more ranged units in combat.

I can confirm that this game will consume hours of your life.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/7...rs_Planetfall/
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2019, 09:45 PM   #2
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

it does look pretty sweet. I've been trying to stay away from 4x (or similar games like this one) for a while though. Burnt out on them.
Feather_Of_A_Phoenix: Nah I think it's utterly ridiculous when I invalidate someones very existence and they get mad at me. Like the **** I was just attacking an integral part of you! Why you gotta get mad at me?
theshadowcult is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2019, 08:07 AM   #3
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Looks promising. I'll keep my eye out for a good sale.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 7, 2019, 01:47 PM   #4
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Anyone get this? Thoughts? It's getting decent reviews. I used to love the old Age of Wonders games.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 08:18 PM   #5
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I've played 3 of the campaign missions (3 factions). So far it's excellent and a good sci-fi adaption of the series. It's pretty much the same as AoW 3 although there are a few tweaks. More diplomacy this time. NPC factions can give you mini quests and ask for donations and in return you can buy their units or ask for their help. It's still mostly about military conquest but you can definitely finish by being allies with everybody.

Tactical combat has cover system and more ranged units. You can mod all units with bonuses (e.g. more damage vs certain types, healing stuff etc). Heroes have all that too plus skills and weapons.

The strategic map has a sector system where you can grow your empire in specific directions. So you can grab a sector with specific growth in mind (energy / unit production). in the last game the realm just expanded in all directions equally.

So far the campaign missions have been 2-4 hrs long. Depends on if you simulate battles or manually control them.

Game looks great and runs well. Colorful units and worlds. Performance is pretty good on my machine. Some people said that it takes minutes to wait for your turn when you get to 80+ turns. I've done a max of about 70 and it only took about 10-15 seconds for NPCs to act all there moves.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:30 AM   #6
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

I played a couple missions in the campaign last night. Loving this game so far. I really like the NPC interaction and quests. Sure they're relatively shallow, but a nice change of pace from the regular sandbox mode.

I did have a facepalm moment after the tutorial mission, though.
After they escape the cataclysm on the tutorial planet, they're in cryo for 200 years. They get out and want to contact the same people they hung out with 200 years prior. Then they act surprised when they land on their home planet and find out it was wiped out by war. You were seriously expecting that nothing had changed in the past 200 years while you were sleeping?
Old Aug 10, 2019, 08:04 AM   #7
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2019, 09:27 AM   #8
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Good deal.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:21 PM   #9
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

A few of the reviews mentioned how difficult this game was to run due to poor optimization. Far less than 60fps at 4k with a 9700k/2080Ti.

How hard was it for you guys to run, at what resolution/settings, and which hardware?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:23 PM   #10
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
A few of the reviews mentioned how difficult this game was to run due to poor optimization. Far less than 60fps at 4k with a 9700k/2080Ti.

How hard was it for you guys to run, at what resolution/settings, and which hardware?
I'm running at 2560x1080 with all settings maxxed on a 1060. Everything is smooth, but it's not like there is a ton of animation that requires fast FPS. Nothing is choppy anyway.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 01:50 PM   #11
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
I'm running at 2560x1080 with all settings maxxed on a 1060. Everything is smooth, but it's not like there is a ton of animation that requires fast FPS. Nothing is choppy anyway.
Awesome! Thanks

Game looks super appealing to me. Might buy...

Anyone running at 4k with a 1080Ti?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 11:47 AM   #12
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

My only gripe so far is that manual battles are far more difficult than they should be. My troops must be stormtroopers, since they can't hit anything for crap. The enemy, on the other hand, seems to ignore cover.

I'm probably just doing something wrong. Still learning.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 07:43 PM   #13
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

Flanking is important, shooting their backs is a good thing still.

You might know this already but when you have a unit selected, move the cursor over the various positions it can move and keep your eye on the enemies. There will be a cross over them that represents hit accuracy, no cross is no shot, red is bad, orange is low, yellow is okay and green is annie oakley.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 07:28 AM   #14
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrackr View Post
Flanking is important, shooting their backs is a good thing still.

You might know this already but when you have a unit selected, move the cursor over the various positions it can move and keep your eye on the enemies. There will be a cross over them that represents hit accuracy, no cross is no shot, red is bad, orange is low, yellow is okay and green is annie oakley.
Yeah I noticed that. Started positioning my troops better and now I'm winning battles. Whodathunkit?