Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Sep 21, 2018, 03:07 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
clerick
tfw

clerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwards

Default Telltale is dead

A case of real poor managment and badly treated employees:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/telltale-games-shut-down
https://twitter.com/joeparlock/statu...27346692726784

Quote:
A report from The Verge suggests the studio is downsizing to about 25 employees. That number is backed up by journalist Jeffrey Grub on Twitter, who says that’s down from 250 employees – so it appears 90% of the studio is affected. USGamer reports this small crew is in place to finish the final season of The Walking Dead, after which the studio will shut down altogether.
clerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2018, 04:43 PM   #2
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2018, 04:55 PM   #3
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

sad to see such a unique company going down the drain while others rehash the same crap every year and stay in business forever.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Another world, another time, in the age of wonder. A thousand years ago, this land was green and good - until the Crystal cracked."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 21, 2018, 05:03 PM   #4
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Their mistake was working on too many rehashed game at the same time.

The EAs and Activisions of the world does not have 10 Call of duties/Battlefields in development at the same time.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 06:36 PM   #5
Mangler
PC

Looks like the final season of TWD got cancelled.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 07:02 PM   #6
Brainstew
The Nameless One

Brainstew can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyBrainstew can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Damn
Old Sep 21, 2018, 07:53 PM   #7
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

This really didn't make my day.

I really wanted to see the last season of TWD. Of course, another "Wolf Among Us" would have been good, but if they at least finished the final TWD I wouldn't have been that sad to see them go.

I wonder if the problem is they just over-expanded and had too many people working there? "Hundreds of people" seems like a lot for the technical level of the games they were release. Even AAA titles only have "hundreds of people" working on them. TWD feels like something an Indy team with 10 people could make, IMO (plus voice actors but no need for them to be on the payroll). Granted there were multiple projects, but they shouldn't have got so overextended if they weren't sure the games were going to be profitable.

Quote:
An anonymous source tells USGamer reports this small crew is in place to finish the final season of The Walking Dead, after which the studio will shut down altogether. This source says that Telltale has filed for bankruptcy, and projects like The Wolf Among Us 2 and Stranger Things are effectively cancelled.
Actually maybe there is hope for TWD, at least.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2018, 07:58 PM   #8
Mangler
PC

Nah, they did an update on that, it's dead.

Quote:
We previously reported that a skeleton crew will remain behind to complete work on The Walking Dead Final Season. That information was inaccurate. Sources who wish to remain anonymous explained that there is a skeleton crew at Telltale, but they will be working on the Minecraft Story Mode project for Netflix. In fact, The Walking Dead team was also laid off today and The Walking Dead Final Season will not be completed
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/rep...hings-canceled
Old Sep 21, 2018, 07:58 PM   #9
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

What an utter failure by management. The writing was on the wall when they dropped 25% of their staff.

They grew too large too quickly - 300+ employees
They went for huge franchises that would have cost a lot of royalties/licensing - Batman, GotG, Minecraft, Game of Thrones, Stranger Things.
They kept making the same games without really improving in areas that needed improving.

Rumors that none of the newer games made money. So they decided to go back to the old ones that did (The Wolf Among Us) but it was too late.

I'm not really surprised, I saw it coming a long time ago when their newer games were just doing so badly (on steam) versus their older titles.

I'm crushed that we won't get another season of The Wolf Among Us.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2018, 08:46 PM   #10
azalea
Radeon R300

azalea can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyazalea can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyazalea can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-Runner View Post
sad to see such a unique company going down the drain while others rehash the same crap every year and stay in business forever.
...is this SUPPOSED to be an ironic comment? Their obsolete engine has been overused for years now.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2018, 08:57 PM   #11
Nagorak

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
Nah, they did an update on that, it's dead.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/rep...hings-canceled
I don't know... I'm kind of disappointed/pissed off about this. I guess I'm not getting a refund that I paid for the final season? I agree with Nutcrackr, they should have stuck to the stuff making money and taken it slow, not gone after tons of huge franchises.

Now we don't even get closure on the series that really set Telltale up (TWD). It's stupid getting so invested in a game series to feel bad about it being cancelled, but I do feel that way about Telltale's TWD.

Edit: I think another problem is they just kept milking the same formula and applying it to other games, but the result wasn't really that different. This is definitely a situation where they should have just stuck to the basics and focused on making a few good games, and improving the model used for those games, not just copy/pasted to a million different ones.

Last edited by Nagorak : Sep 21, 2018 at 11:44 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 11:36 PM   #12
Dungeoncrawler
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwards

Game development can be a precarious existence. Rumor is other studios are offering axed employees jobs with them . Has it been confirmed that next weeks release of ep2 of final season has been forfeited?

Quote:
I cannot but conclude that the Bulk of your Natives, to be the most pernicious Race of little odious Vermin that Nature ever suffered to crawl upon the Surface of the Earth.
Dungeoncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2018, 11:56 PM   #13
Drexion
Radeon Sea Islands

Drexion can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDrexion can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

TWD was a huge hit and a massive success, but now it looks like it was both a blessing and a curse, as it's success was probably the deciding factor in causing their exponential growth in such a short time and taking on more than they could handle.
[Proc: Intel Core i7 [email protected]][GPU: MSI GTX980Ti 6GB][Mem: 64GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 2666-DDR4][Mobo: Asus X99-A][HD: Samsung 500GB SSD 840 EVO][PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850W G2][Audio: Yamaha RX-V673 7.2/JBL 7.2 Surround]
Drexion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2018, 12:11 AM   #14
Fuku2
Metal Guitarist

Fuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Deep sale soon?

Old Sep 22, 2018, 01:40 AM   #15
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Did they even make games? All they seemed to be were interactive stores, no more exciting than watching a movie with interruptions.

"Be careful what you say, not everybody is open minded"

"If Fascism Ever Comes to America, It Will Come in the Name of Liberalism -Ronald Reagan"
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2018, 01:45 AM   #16
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I really hoped that they would finish Season 4 of TWD.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2018, 03:47 AM   #17
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

People should get a refund for The Final Season. The store page says you get four episodes. If there are only 2 then that is surely reason enough for a refund. The only issue is how that works regarding a defunct company. Valve make enough money though, so I think they'll foot the bill for any refunds in order to maintain good will in the platform.

Reminds me of SiN Episodes, they canned that after just one episode. Couldn't buy all of them at once though.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 04:19 AM   #18
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCLAVEx View Post
Did they even make games? All they seemed to be were interactive stores, no more exciting than watching a movie with interruptions.
never played an adventure game before? They are point and click adventure games, but can be controlled with a controller broken sword 3 style too.
Feather_Of_A_Phoenix: Nah I think it's utterly ridiculous when I invalidate someones very existence and they get mad at me. Like the **** I was just attacking an integral part of you! Why you gotta get mad at me?
theshadowcult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2018, 04:30 AM   #19
clerick
tfw

clerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwards

clerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2018, 09:13 AM   #20
TenFour
Radeon Northern Islands

TenFour is still being judged by the masses

They used to make traditional adventure games. Their Monkey Island game is my second favorite of the whole series. Then they realized they could pump out stuff a lot faster if they just made choose-your-own-adventure stories with the illusion of choice. This led them to pumping out as many as they could while customers wised up and lost interest.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2018, 12:55 PM   #21
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadowcult View Post
never played an adventure game before? They are point and click adventure games, but can be controlled with a controller broken sword 3 style too.
Ahh. The only adventure game I ever played that I liked was Full Throttle (fantastic game). No others really appealed to me, just not my cup of tea.

"If Fascism Ever Comes to America, It Will Come in the Name of Liberalism -Ronald Reagan"
Old Sep 22, 2018, 12:56 PM   #22
xCLAVEx
Not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
They used to make traditional adventure games. Their Monkey Island game is my second favorite of the whole series. Then they realized they could pump out stuff a lot faster if they just made choose-your-own-adventure stories with the illusion of choice. This led them to pumping out as many as they could while customers wised up and lost interest.
This is more of what I was referring to, interactive movie and not a real adventure game from what I could tell.

Old Sep 22, 2018, 01:45 PM   #23
DarkFoss
Radeon R700

DarkFoss is still being judged by the masses

A real shame, I feel bad for all those that lost their jobs.
I was just about to purchase the final season on gog to complete TWD on the PC.
Wonder if a kickstarter will spring up?
Old Sep 22, 2018, 07:43 PM   #24
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

wow, if what this video says is true, thing are much worse for the developers than what we thought

New people were being hired even up to a week ago, some even relocating across the country to work for TTG.

There is no severance package for the people laid off

Their health insurance are canceled in a 1 week.

The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2018, 08:47 PM   #25
borat
Radeon R700

borat can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyborat can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyborat can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
That's unfortunate. Is it easy to tell which are which? I've always been meaning to get some of these games.
borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2018, 08:57 AM   #26
Nagorak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisberg View Post

wow, if what this video says is true, thing are much worse for the developers than what we thought

New people were being hired even up to a week ago, some even relocating across the country to work for TTG.

There is no severance package for the people laid off

Their health insurance are canceled in a 1 week.

The place as obviously run by complete jackasses. This reminds me of what happened with 38 Studios. They kept hiring people up to the point the whole thing just shut down. What's inexplicable is that the guys running Telltale had some degree of success, so you'd think they'd have had at least some understanding of how to run a business, unlike an ex-baseball player?

But apparently not, since we see the same basic story here: they just ran the business into the ground, rather than make drastic changes to keep afloat. If they'd retrenched by firing 75% of their workforce 6 months ago, then the remaining employees could have finished up those projects that were actually going to turn a profit (TWD S4). Instead everything just gets axed, including the stuff that would have done well.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:55 AM   #27
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
What's inexplicable is that the guys running Telltale had some degree of success, so you'd think they'd have had at least some understanding of how to run a business, unlike an ex-baseball player?
Apparently problems started when Bruner (ex-CTO) was appointed CEO in 2015 and things started to fall apart soon after.

He was ousted last year but the damage was done and the avalanche had started and it was too late for the pebbles to vote.
daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2018, 07:27 PM   #28
zizbuka
Judgemental Old Guy

zizbuka is still being judged by the masses

I'm not a big point-and-click adventure fan, but I did enjoy some of their earlier games. Before they started to rinse/repeat

Bone and Sam & Max games were pretty good. Maybe there'll be a major sale now, I'd think about picking up some of the newer stuff.
zizbuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2018, 07:43 PM   #29
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

Goodness, now some "partners" have come forward in an attempt to finish the last season. I mean that's good news for the buyers but I can't see this going well. The staff is gone, I doubt they'd come back to finish it. What a weird situation.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 09:27 PM   #30
Nagorak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrackr View Post
Goodness, now some "partners" have come forward in an attempt to finish the last season. I mean that's good news for the buyers but I can't see this going well. The staff is gone, I doubt they'd come back to finish it. What a weird situation.
The only reason I think it might potentially work out is apparently the third episode was almost done, just not in shippable condition. And the script for the fourth was already written. Enough might be in place for another team to be brought in to finish it off.

Of course, you need to get the voice actors back, but I can't imagine that's a problems. I doubt voice actors were full time staff at Telltale, most likely outside contractors.

Anyway, here's hoping at least. I'd like to see this series come to a conclusion.