Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Apr 27, 2016, 04:30 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Default Nintendo - Switch (finally revealed)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-2017-globally

Zelda Will also be ported to NX, also rumors of many wii u games that were being developed now are NX titles. (such as Luigi Mansion 3)

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2016, 04:45 AM   #2
lviz
On my way

lviz is still being judged by the masses

It'll be interesting to see what they come up with this time. Wii and Wii U have been the family consoles for us, so it's likely that we'll be getting the next one also.

They should port Xenoblade Chronicles X to the new system immediately. It was a bit too much for Wii U to handle. I'd definitely like to see it without the pop-in issues.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 04:48 AM   #3
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

That and new music, but yeah I'd be down for a port.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 27, 2016, 09:47 AM   #4
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I guess this means that nothing is coming out on the ripU this year?

I hope the nx is backwards compatible.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:05 AM   #5
Serotonin
Lacking details

Serotonin is still being judged by the masses

Well....IMHO I think you can go ahead and scratch out Nintendo in this race. I think they'll just go to software and avoid hardware after this.

March 2017? So they're going to go almost a full calendar year with the Wii U, which has NOTHING coming out for it beside Zelda, which is also almost a year away?

So you build no amount of steam toward your new system, rather, fizzle out.

Worse, you just gave Sony the chance to one up you and release the PS4k ahead of your system and steal your potential customers.

NX DOA. Horrible business. And so late to the race...with a proven track record of terrible third party support since the Nintendo 64.
Serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2016, 11:43 AM   #6
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

Well they can be stupid but I wouldn't count them out just yet.

Also why would they release for the Wii U, system is piratically dead.

They can build hype later in the year, with actual NX titles, releasing wii u games isn't going to build hype for the NX it's just going to take more titles away from a new system.

And no they will never just go software that's just a fantasy, if they do give up on console hardware, they will just go Handheld only.

Old Apr 27, 2016, 01:15 PM   #7
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
Well they can be stupid but I wouldn't count them out just yet.
Actually I think the timing might work out well for them, since it might coincide with the upgraded PS4 & wbone. This will make the NX release seem more like the beginning of a console generation, rather than awkwardly late like the WiiU was.

Of course, the upgraded PS4 will absolutely crush the NX in terms of specs, but I think it doesn't matter too much. These days people don't expect Nintendo to keep up anyway. The most important thing is that the NX runs on a similar AMD jaguar architecture, so they can get some leftover 3rd party support. Then nintendo just has to make sure they have a decent online service, and they should be very competitive.

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2016, 01:51 PM   #8
Progression
Radeon Arctic Islands

Progression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badges

What a ****ing disappointing and stupid way to announce a new console.
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
If you must listen to country [music], play it backwards. You get your woman back, the dog comes back to life, Momma pops out from under the train, and it stops raining. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bete View Post
I'd bet it would be fun to do him up the ass.
Progression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2016, 02:21 PM   #9
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serotonin View Post
Well....IMHO I think you can go ahead and scratch out Nintendo in this race. I think they'll just go to software and avoid hardware after this.

March 2017? So they're going to go almost a full calendar year with the Wii U, which has NOTHING coming out for it beside Zelda, which is also almost a year away?

Worse, you just gave Sony the chance to one up you and release the PS4k ahead of your system and steal your potential customers.

NX DOA. Horrible business. And so late to the race...with a proven track record of terrible third party support since the Nintendo 64.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog View Post
Actually I think the timing might work out well for them, since it might coincide with the upgraded PS4 & wbone. This will make the NX release seem more like the beginning of a console generation, rather than awkwardly late like the WiiU was.

Of course, the upgraded PS4 will absolutely crush the NX in terms of specs, but I think it doesn't matter too much. These days people don't expect Nintendo to keep up anyway. The most important thing is that the NX runs on a similar AMD jaguar architecture, so they can get some leftover 3rd party support. Then nintendo just has to make sure they have a decent online service, and they should be very competitive.
Whelp, confirmed a prediction I had in the other thread. Zelda is delayed back enough to be an NX launch title. Based off the recent earnings report from AMD, it seems like it is a near certainty that the NX is going to be running AMD chips. I'm thinking Nintendo has finally come to grips that they were wrong in how they approach 3rd parties and that they need to be in the cross platform lineup.

Unfortunately... my guess is that the NX is going to be like the Dreamcast all over again. Totally bitchin, easier to develop for but too little, too late.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 03:11 PM   #10
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

Wii u also used AMD, at least on the GPU side of things, hell even the gamecube/wii did

Old Apr 27, 2016, 03:12 PM   #11
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progression View Post
What a ****ing disappointing and stupid way to announce a new console.
Wasn't a announcement, plus they've mentioned the name NX many times. This was a financial briefing, nothing to do with the general public.

Old Apr 27, 2016, 03:26 PM   #12
Progression
Radeon Arctic Islands

Progression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Wasn't a announcement, plus they've mentioned the name NX many times. This was a financial briefing, nothing to do with the general public.
Don't care, this is the first time an actual release date, launch games and such have been mentioned publicly by Nintendo. This is awful. This should have been a BIG DEAL at E3. Right now it feels like they are announcing a peripheral.
Quote:
If you must listen to country [music], play it backwards. You get your woman back, the dog comes back to life, Momma pops out from under the train, and it stops raining. :)
Quote:
Old Apr 27, 2016, 03:43 PM   #13
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

e3 is DED.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2016, 04:17 PM   #14
Progression
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
e3 is DED.
Nah, I am excited to see how Sony will once again stomp Nintendo and laugh at MS' "slim" watered down console. That is, if MS doesn't have something hardware related that will blow us away.

I really hope MS surprises us with an "expansion pack" (like on the N64) for the XBone. I think the PS4K opens SONY to an attack from MS by allowing MS to offer a better alternative to buying a new console (expansion kit).

I had a blast with my 360 back in the day and wouldn't mind another Halo machine. I miss the MP, what can I say.
Quote:
Quote:
Old Apr 27, 2016, 07:46 PM   #15
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serotonin View Post

Who the heck is going to buy a PS4k? PS4 owners wouldn't...they have a PS4 already. Its more likely going to attract potential PS4 buyers who would then buy the NEWER version, and would attract some hardcore who want the whole VR experience (as if the original PS4 cannot handle it....)
Wii-U has been on life support for so long without any major releases already so its not like having 0 releases is going to turn things sideways vs the 3 major yearly releases they had this year. Its slow, and its still going to be slow.

The last major release is Starfox Zero which is more or less Starfox 64 Wii-U HD remake.

Honestly Nintendo keeps shooting themselves in the foot by always having something that gives Devs no reason to develop for it.

N64 = stuck with cartridges after CD's started becoming the norm and provided a helluva lot more space and cheaper to develop for I think.

Gamecube = tinyass proprietary discs that held less than half the total amount of data as a DVD. Awkward controller (I don't think it was) and was apparently not conventional to develop for (not sure about it but the whole TEV system vs pixel shader support). Not to mention no multiuse support (couldn't play DVD's like the other systems) and looked like a lunchblock with a handle.

Wii = Waggle, basically a 2x gamecube stuck together powerwise vs HD graphics (could not run anything remotely recent at the time with the visuals anywhere near what the ps360 could) and a mostly basic online support.

Wii-U = HD graphics right before the transition to Quad HD graphics, tinyass internal storage, more reliable online (I think) but still weak and garbage compared to the competition, came out at the tail end of the 7th gen era (did I get that generation right?) no one knew whether it was an addon to the original wii or its own system. Wasn't a value proposition (100 bux more got you a PS4/Xbone)

Nintendo's first party franchises are enough to prop up the systems they make as shown time and time again, but they cant continuously pump out hits after hits using ALL of their original IP (which they have a ton) because they just don't have the manpower to do that at their level of quality and with that many IP.
Besides they've already started branching out to other areas of financial gain like mobile, their handheld business is still fine, and the Amiibo.

Obviously they need to regain the 3rd parties and just having a console with the same power as the competition is probably enough to do that. So now the devs would have "3 sources" of income rather than having "2 sources and a potential third would depend on whether theres a time/money benefit"
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:21 AM   #16
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Wii u also used AMD, at least on the GPU side of things, hell even the gamecube/wii did
Don't do that. Don't play semantics when you know that's a reference to IBM getting the boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
Who the heck is going to buy a PS4k? PS4 owners wouldn't...they have a PS4 already. Its more likely going to attract potential PS4 buyers who would then buy the NEWER version, and would attract some hardcore who want the whole VR experience (as if the original PS4 cannot handle it....)
Wii-U has been on life support for so long without any major releases already so its not like having 0 releases is going to turn things sideways vs the 3 major yearly releases they had this year. Its slow, and its still going to be slow.

The last major release is Starfox Zero which is more or less Starfox 64 Wii-U HD remake.

Honestly Nintendo keeps shooting themselves in the foot by always having something that gives Devs no reason to develop for it.

N64 = stuck with cartridges after CD's started becoming the norm and provided a helluva lot more space and cheaper to develop for I think.

Gamecube = tinyass proprietary discs that held less than half the total amount of data as a DVD. Awkward controller (I don't think it was) and was apparently not conventional to develop for (not sure about it but the whole TEV system vs pixel shader support). Not to mention no multiuse support (couldn't play DVD's like the other systems) and looked like a lunchblock with a handle.

Wii = Waggle, basically a 2x gamecube stuck together powerwise vs HD graphics (could not run anything remotely recent at the time with the visuals anywhere near what the ps360 could) and a mostly basic online support.

Wii-U = HD graphics right before the transition to Quad HD graphics, tinyass internal storage, more reliable online (I think) but still weak and garbage compared to the competition, came out at the tail end of the 7th gen era (did I get that generation right?) no one knew whether it was an addon to the original wii or its own system. Wasn't a value proposition (100 bux more got you a PS4/Xbone)

Nintendo's first party franchises are enough to prop up the systems they make as shown time and time again, but they cant continuously pump out hits after hits using ALL of their original IP (which they have a ton) because they just don't have the manpower to do that at their level of quality and with that many IP.
Besides they've already started branching out to other areas of financial gain like mobile, their handheld business is still fine, and the Amiibo.

Obviously they need to regain the 3rd parties and just having a console with the same power as the competition is probably enough to do that. So now the devs would have "3 sources" of income rather than having "2 sources and a potential third would depend on whether theres a time/money benefit"
I would be a PS4k buyer as I'm in the potential buyer group. I don't care about VR, I'd likely get motion sick. This also sums up Nintendo's missteps perfectly, imo. I think they know they have to hit on this hail mary throw called 'NX'. My belief is that's why they are dipping a toe in the smartphone gaming market..... just in case it the NX play doesn't connect, it will help provide a cushion.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:27 AM   #17
MyTMouse
Console Forumas Modamus

MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

I'd love to know why they're launching in March 2017...maybe the hardware isn't going to be ready until then? Perhaps so they don't launch around the same time as Sony's NEO? Maybe to get software up to snuff...

All I know if that it would appear that Nintendo doesn't seem to care at all about being successful because they've done almost nothing to be successful for many years now. Seriously, they are avoiding every single public gaming event that gives massive awareness in the gaming community, they do almost no advertising at all. Not only that but they are putting out AAA 1st party titles at a snail's pace. Seriously that company needs a major revamp in their upper management and marketing dept. They need to invest millions on in-house development so they can crank out franchise titles better and faster. Seriously Nintendo...you could hire 250 game devs at $100k/yr and it'd only cost you $25Mil which is nothing for a company your size. Get with it!

Hardware wise I have no idea what they're gonna be doing, a March '17 release would easily allow them to use new AMD Polaris tech and fairly powerful hardware at a reasonable price but this is Nintendo and they're most likely gonna come out with something only slightly faster than PS4 but very efficient.

As far as Wii U goes there's still Paper Mario: Color Splash but ya, nothing else really for the system other than Zelda next year. I still got the best deal ever on that system. Probably got around 20 games or so for it and the vast majority were $20 or less because of clearance sales and whatnot.
MyTMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2016, 04:55 PM   #18
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelphiaX View Post
Based off the recent earnings report from AMD, it seems like it is a near certainty that the NX is going to be running AMD chips.
It would be a massive mistake if Nintendo didn't use an AMD architecture. It means that without changing any of their relationships with 3rd parties, they can still get xbone & PS4 leftovers, practically for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelphiaX View Post
Unfortunately... my guess is that the NX is going to be like the Dreamcast all over again. Totally bitchin, easier to develop for but too little, too late.
WiiU has already taken Dreamcast's crown for "Greatest failed console of all time". It'd be unfortunate if NX did it again.

I've been saying it for years, but it's time for Nintendo to get out of the console business. They'd make a fortune selling Mario Kart on the big boys' platforms.

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
Old Apr 28, 2016, 04:58 PM   #19
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
In terms of getting 3rd party leftovers, it'd be better the other way though. WiiU would have tons of 3rd party support if it rocked a jaguar cpu & nvidia gpu.

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
Old Apr 28, 2016, 05:04 PM   #20
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTMouse View Post
I'd love to know why they're launching in March 2017...

Let's see if there's someone in this thread who can answer this question. Oh here's someone who knows what they're talking about:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTMouse View Post
a March '17 release would easily allow them to use new AMD Polaris tech and fairly powerful hardware at a reasonable price

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
Old Apr 28, 2016, 06:05 PM   #21
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
I guess this means that nothing is coming out on the ripU this year?

I hope the nx is backwards compatible.
Me too dude. Will also be interested to see how they handle digital downloads for the wii u.
BababooeyHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2016, 07:28 PM   #22
jimjobob
Radeon Volcanic Islands

jimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
WiiU has already taken Dreamcast's crown for "Greatest failed console of all time".
3DO, Jaguar, Neo Geo?
jimjobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2016, 07:58 PM   #23
Serotonin
Lacking details

Serotonin is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
It would be a massive mistake if Nintendo didn't use an AMD architecture. It means that without changing any of their relationships with 3rd parties, they can still get xbone & PS4 leftovers, practically for free.

WiiU has already taken Dreamcast's crown for "Greatest failed console of all time". It'd be unfortunate if NX did it again.

I've been saying it for years, but it's time for Nintendo to get out of the console business. They'd make a fortune selling Mario Kart on the big boys' platforms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjobob View Post
3DO, Jaguar, Neo Geo?
I always considered Sega Saturn the greatest failed console of all-time. It was an excellent system that was just really hard to code for. It also started Sega's downfall. Sega cd/32x were failures but they were additions to Genesis, Saturn was a full on console.

If we just want to talk about turds that never had a chance, my vote would go to Virtual Boy.
Serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:34 PM   #24
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjobob View Post
3DO, Jaguar, Neo Geo?
Those weren't great. Those were bad.

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
Old Apr 29, 2016, 01:57 AM   #25
Chuck
How's the flow tonight?

Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

2017 looks to be another great year for gaming. Not only will we have significantly more powerful graphics cards, there'd be at least three refreshed consoles with a whole new generation of AMD tech. Really looking forward to it.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:04 PM   #26
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
In terms of getting 3rd party leftovers, it'd be better the other way though. WiiU would have tons of 3rd party support if it rocked a jaguar cpu & nvidia gpu.
I keep thinking that all Nintendo needed was hardware equivalent to the competition and they'd have all the third party support, even if the games were just ports and afterthoughts because that's all they really need. They miss out on so many big name multiplatform titles because of their self imposed limitations. Weaker hardware (oftentimes by a helluva lot), gimmick systems (waggle), low power (cant put the more powerful hardware inside), apparently crappy dev tools, price for profit (I can see this being a big deal). I imagine from a hardware standpoint that ideally the power structure should be lower end gaming pc (Nintendo) vs high end gaming PC (Sony/MS). At least this way they can still run and support all the big name dev tools but may need to scale back some of the details to get the framerate smoother.

As it is and has been since the Wii its more like Gaming PC (Sony/MS) vs non-windows Tablet (Nintendo). Cant put the same thing there without significant rework.

The Wii-U should have been what the Wii was hardware-wise from the get go. Then they could have stretched out the cycle and the Wii-U could have been a true PS4/XB1 competitor. I don't think NX would have been in the conversation until deemed ready for the next gen and I think Nintendo could have been making a killing. obviously their online infrastructure still needs work but it actually works good enough for what it needs to do.

As for NX...I'm hoping its backwards compatible with Wii-U. The concept rumors indicate it actually sounds similar to how the Wii-U functions, but the controller wouldn't be tied down to the console. I wonder then if I would be able to use the wii-U gamepad with it.....that would be pretty slick. Also more bonus points if the wii controllers continue to be supported.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 02:59 PM   #27
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

I hope they don't do any backwards compatibility, and totally start from scratch.

Old Apr 30, 2016, 04:00 AM   #28
monkeydust
Radeon Arctic Islands

monkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
I hope they don't do any backwards compatibility, and totally start from scratch.
I hope it is completely backwards compatible with Wii-U and 3DS.
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
Samsung EVO 1TB SSD
Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX case
Dell 2408WFP 24" Widescreen LCD
Windows 8.1 64-bit
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2016, 02:28 PM   #29
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

Only if it's backwards compatible in the sense that it can use the Wii U gamepad, but the console itself doesn't contain any stupid crap like that.

Old May 1, 2016, 01:44 AM   #30
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Quote:
Only if it's backwards compatible in the sense that it can use the Wii U gamepad, but the console itself doesn't contain any stupid crap like that.
Which way would be the best out of the known methods:

1.) PS2-PS3 BC. Had PS2 hardware built in that jacked up the price. Later models took out the PS2 hardware and ended up not being backwards compatible anymore. I think it got brought back via emulation sometime after that. Unless the price of the old hardware is low then this isnt likely the most cost effective solution.

2.) GC-Wii. Use the same hardware and overclock it. yeah no. hardware got faster, hardware didn't get updated with the times.

3.) Wii-WiiU. Use same hardware base, but newer and more powerful. Would be fine, except the Wii-U hardware just wasn't anywhere near powerful enough to take it to the next gen (don't think it was possible to tweak the hardware to be at that level without a full ground-up redesign)
I think this might actually be the best way to do it, but the foundation needs to be solid from the get go, which the Wii base was not.

4.) emulation. I'm guessing the Xbone does it this way. If the hardware is strong enough, then it would be fine. However compatibility isn't 100% so you couldn't just pop in say a previous console disc and expect it to work. Also means old software needs to be re-released, downloaded and released only when it works properly.