Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:08 PM   #211
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Basically the way it looks is:

Steam: Chromodynamic Armor
Direct2Drive: Multi-Spatial Personal Shield
Amazon: Borg Bridge Officer
Target: TR116 Rifle
Walmart: Extra skill points
Best Buy: Tribble Pet
Gamestop: Constitution Class Ship (original series Enterprise ship class for those who don't know)

However the download retailers have the advantage of also offering the digital deluxe content. While I guess the non-download retailers have the collector's edition.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:14 PM   #212
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

spindoctor is still being judged by the masses

it's a strange trend that's come about recently where different shops have different pre-order items. i doubt it increases sales but who knows.

the important point though, is that it's highly unlikely that they would give out some extremely powerful item as a pre-order bonus. it might be (very) useful at some point in the game, but you will eventually find an equivalent or better item to replace it.
spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:24 PM   #213
Nagorak

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I guess it differentiates between the shops. Like I am inclined to go with Amazon due to the Borg Bridge Officer. Maybe if I was a TOS fan I'd want the Constitution Class ship. I don't know.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:53 PM   #214
buckshot23
Radeon Caribbean Islands

buckshot23 is still being judged by the masses

I want my tribbles!
buckshot23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:57 PM   #215
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

The items in question are only of much effect early in the game according to the FAQ. As the game progresses, much more powerful items and bridge crew should become available to everybody. These items shouldn't cause any imbalance issues.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:00 AM   #216
dawdler
Radeon Caribbean Islands

dawdler is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoctor View Post
it's a strange trend that's come about recently where different shops have different pre-order items. i doubt it increases sales but who knows.
But what if it does increase sales? Its sort of cheap to basicly say that "yeah we got this unique item that you need to *ehrm* give us a good offer to use with in your sale of the game *cough* or we give it to another seller".

I've already looked at the whooping 3 different choices available in Sweden and I would definetly pick it based on the item if forced to buy such a version. Still hasnt decided yet though (I've yet to buy a monthly cost MMORPG).
dawdler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:18 AM   #217
Nagorak

I wonder which pre-order item people like the most? I went with the Borg Bridge Officer and ordered from Amazon. I couldn't justify paying the extra $13 for the digital deluxe version anyway.

Personally, I couldn't care less about the Tribble pet, Constitution Class ship, but maybe some people out there like those?
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:34 AM   #218
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawdler View Post
But what if it does increase sales? Its sort of cheap to basicly say that "yeah we got this unique item that you need to *ehrm* give us a good offer to use with in your sale of the game *cough* or we give it to another seller".
i seriously doubt developers/publishers would be willing to antagonize retailers over something as trivial as pre-order bonus items
Old Jan 14, 2010, 06:08 AM   #219
Pirate Neilsouth
The undead have returned!

Pirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled with

Im now playing online , PirateNeilsouth
Old Jan 14, 2010, 08:31 AM   #220
Encyclopedia_b
Purveyor of OFN

Encyclopedia_b is still being judged by the masses

i went with the walmart exclusive. not sure how the points works out, since i havent played it yet ... but it seemed like the most advantageous of the exclusives.

see you in feb
Encyclopedia_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 09:24 AM   #221
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

Old Jan 14, 2010, 09:33 AM   #222
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Just asked them for one. I'd like to try this out for myself.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:42 AM   #223
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Android1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Just asked them for one. I'd like to try this out for myself.
As did I. Thanks, spindoctor!
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:00 AM   #224
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I wonder which pre-order item people like the most? I went with the Borg Bridge Officer and ordered from Amazon. I couldn't justify paying the extra $13 for the digital deluxe version anyway.

Personally, I couldn't care less about the Tribble pet, Constitution Class ship, but maybe some people out there like those?
I wanted the armor suit. Felt like I might get more milage out of it on away team missions. And the beta is enforcing my feelings on that, away missions can be really hard! Having that extra layer of protection will help alot.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:55 AM   #225
Pirate Neilsouth

Pirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled with

Probably already mentioned but...

Do you have to be a federation kiss ass , can you start off as a klingon or romulan in the full game
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:03 PM   #226
Dungeoncrawler
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwards

sup - I was watching some live gameplay last night and the servers kept going down. Is this happening overall as much as it did while I was watching? I realize its a beta but was just curious. Besides, I've been through allot of day-one launches so I'm really not complaining . Anarchy Online was the worst imo. I'm a big ST(TOS) fan but haven't activated my beta account yet. I'd probably go with the Constitution Class Starship as my bonus-order item. Also, what are the class breakdowns if comparing to traditional fantasy mmo's (tank, mage, etc.)? Thanks.

Last edited by Dungeoncrawler : Jan 14, 2010 at 12:07 PM.
Dungeoncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:13 PM   #227
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dungeoncrawler View Post
sup - I was watching some live gameplay last night and the servers kept going down. Is this happening overall as much as it did while I was watching? I realize its a beta but was just curious. Besides, I've been through allot of day-one launches so I'm really not complaining . Anarchy Online was the worst imo. I'm a big ST(TOS) fan but haven't activated my beta account yet. I'd probably go with the Constitution Class Starship as my bonus-order item. Also, what are the class breakdowns if comparing to traditional fantasy mmo's (tank, mage, etc.)? Thanks.
Alot of the server up and down right now is Open Beta fixes going into place as you watch. I know it's irritating, but I'm MORE then happy to allow for it since the first day happened that way and it was a MASSIVE benefit to me. The first server downage of the open beta was accompanied by a patch that TOTALLY eliminated all disconnect probs I was having in a single shot. The patch from yesterday's downtime smoothed out gameplay hugely and cut down lag in specific areas.

The class break downs are, Tactical Officer, Science Officer, Engineering Officer. Engineering Officer is the general armor/shield tank. Science Officer is the Mage. And Tactical Officer is the pure fighter and hits the hardest. The way you mix your bridge officers of these 3 classes makes a massive difference to your combat style, both in space and on the ground.

Last edited by moshpit : Jan 14, 2010 at 12:15 PM.
moshpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:19 PM   #228
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

I should add that, there is no single "best" mix of officers yet, really. From what I've seen so far, the mix of officers you utilize will heavily influence your combat style, but a mix of styles often is needed to overcome various situations, so you cannot static yourself into a corner with a single style of approach for every situation. For some away team missions, for example, you may prefer a Science/Engineering heavy team for rescue based away missions, you'll want more security members on more aggressive negotiations.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:30 PM   #229
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

Quote:

So today we’ve got 1000 keys for the Star Trek Online open beta to give away. (All gone.)

Sigh...

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Another world, another time, in the age of wonder. A thousand years ago, this land was green and good - until the Crystal cracked."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:56 PM   #230
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-Runner View Post
So today we’ve got 1000 keys for the Star Trek Online open beta to give away. (All gone.)

Sigh...
If they send me one I'll PM you with it since I got one afterwards.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 02:13 PM   #231
dawdler
Radeon Caribbean Islands

dawdler is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-Runner View Post

Sigh...
yeah its always gone quicker than you can blink. When the word "beta" is thrown around the internet seem to be filled with at least 10 billion people.
dawdler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 02:46 PM   #232
Scart
Radeon Northern Islands

Scart can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyScart can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Tried it. It's Cryptic alright. The same stale and zero-excitement engine that also powers Champions Online. You can fly into planets and asteroids and do all kinds of wonderful Star Trek "stuff".

Two options: in 2 months this will become the next Champs Online with 10k people playing on primetime or devs actually get their heads on straight and do some real developing on this title. It's alpha, barely. Beta and release in 3 weeks? Give ma a break.
Scart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 02:50 PM   #233
Pirate Neilsouth

Just like every other mmorpg or mmo i'm getting bored
Old Jan 14, 2010, 02:52 PM   #234
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scart View Post
Tried it. It's Cryptic alright. The same stale and zero-excitement engine that also powers Champions Online. You can fly into planets and asteroids and do all kinds of wonderful Star Trek "stuff".

Two options: in 2 months this will become the next Champs Online with 10k people playing on primetime or devs actually get their heads on straight and do some real developing on this title. It's alpha, barely. Beta and release in 3 weeks? Give ma a break.
that's brutal
Old Jan 14, 2010, 03:55 PM   #235
TopoGeigeo
Da Mouse, Huzaa!

TopoGeigeo is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Neilsouth View Post
Just like every other mmorpg or mmo i'm getting bored
In less then a day?

How much content is there, a pile of poop?
Old Jan 14, 2010, 04:07 PM   #236
Scart
Radeon Northern Islands

Scart can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyScart can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopoGeigeo View Post
In less then a day?

How much content is there, a pile of poop?
Atleast atm, it's "kill! kill! kill! kill! kill! kill!" I don't think I missed anything. The so called episodes are nothing more than "warp to point A, kill everything in sight, warp to B and kill everything in sight, warp to C, kill everything and then finish the episode by hailing Starfleet and get a new one." That's it.

If CO was light on content, then this game is anemic. It's Starfleet Command, with a monthly sub.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 04:10 PM   #237
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
that's brutal
read scarts post history, its nothing but a series of brutal attacks on MMO"s, and yet he plays EVERY SINGLE ONE
GanjaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 04:16 PM   #238
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scart View Post
Atleast atm, it's "kill! kill! kill! kill! kill! kill!" I don't think I missed anything. The so called episodes are nothing more than "warp to point A, kill everything in sight, warp to B and kill everything in sight, warp to C, kill everything and then finish the episode by hailing Starfleet and get a new one." That's it.

If CO was light on content, then this game is anemic. It's Starfleet Command, with a monthly sub.
Bullcrap. I've done one escort mission and one diplomacy mission, both without a single shot fired on top of the combat missions.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 04:30 PM   #239
Pirate Neilsouth

How do you do the " hide and seek " mission? , i have to scan certain objects but they are surrounded at a time by 10+ enemy ships. With no team mates or allies in the area its abit
Old Jan 14, 2010, 04:32 PM   #240
Scart
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
Bullcrap. I've done one escort mission and one diplomacy mission, both without a single shot fired on top of the combat missions.
That settles it then! Must have been a glitch on my part to have 2 of those big "go to four locations and patrol" missions straight. All of them pure combat. I guess them klingons have really started to build ships as I have single handedly killed like 20 battleships so far. In a cruiser.

This game is a joke.