Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Feb 10, 2020, 07:32 AM   #181
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

My money is on Juliana Tainer from "Inheritance". She was Soong's wife that died and then Soong made an android of her. He made her unaware that she was an android.

My bet is that Bruce Maddox found out about her.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2020, 10:58 AM   #182
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

The amount of hollywood bullshit virtue signalling in this series is pretty astounding and almost every character is written as an asshole.

Oh well, not paying for it anyway.
daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:28 AM   #183
Cyko
Rusty Pirate

Cyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by daPhoenix View Post
The amount of hollywood bullshit virtue signalling in this series is pretty astounding and almost every character is written as an asshole.

Oh well, not paying for it anyway.
So you have no right to complain. Have a nice day.

Alpha
| Mobo: MSI P6N-SLI | CPU: Intel C2D E6600 @ 3.2ghz | Memory: 4GB (4x1GB) G.Skill DDR2-800 | Video Card: EVGA NVIDIA 8800GTX | Hard Drive(s): 2xMaxtor 200GB | Sound: Onboard 7.1 HD | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 | PSU: OCZ GameXstream 700w | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Vista Home Premium |

Omega

| Mobo: Asus A8V S939 VIA K8T800 Pro | CPU: Athlon 64 X2 3800+ "Manchester" | Memory: 2GB (2x1GB) OCZ PC3200 Platinum | Video Card: BBA AIW X800 XT | Hard Drive(s): Maxtor 100GB + Maxtor 200GB + WD 120GB | Sound: SB Audigy 2 ZS | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | DVD Reader: Memorex Generic | Case: Antec Lifestyle Sonata II | PSU: Antec 450w SmartPower 2.0 | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Windows XP Media Center Edition |

Cyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 15, 2020, 12:33 AM   #184
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

So what's the verdict? Is it good, or does it suck?

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2020, 01:35 AM   #185
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog View Post
So what's the verdict? Is it good, or does it suck?
So far, kinda meh. It just doesn't "feel" like Trek anymore.

"Be careful what you say, not everybody is open minded"

"If Fascism Ever Comes to America, It Will Come in the Name of Liberalism -Ronald Reagan"
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2020, 02:03 AM   #186
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I was a little turned off by all the unnecessary cursing. I wanted a Trek I could watch with my kiddos. I can't watch this with kids. It also feels like they are forcing f-bombs into the dialog just to get a TV-14 rating.

Also, it really feels like this is about 10 years too late. Action scenes with Picard is pretty cringe-full and painful to watch. I just find myself worrying that he will fall and break a hip. Patrick Stewart is 79 years old. At no point should he be flying 30 feet through the air after an explosion. That would end any 80 year old person. Apparently not in Star Trek though. He just had a scrape on the head and was otherwise fine.

The story started out pretty well. Now it feels like it's dragging along for the last few episodes to me. The cameo's feel forced and out of place. For example all of a sudden out of nowhere and with no context a cameo person appears and joins into a space battle for no apparent reason. That made no sense.

It has it's good points. The overall story is a decent premise. It just feels like the last few episodes are going in multiple different directions very, very slowly. Also, I'm starting to get a 'Tilly' vibe out of the blonde Dr. Agnes Jurati character. I'm really not liking that much.

All in all I'd give it like a 7.5/10 so far. I really hope that it picks up from here. I kind of doubt it though. On a side note, I am paying for it. I'm really entertaining dropping the CBS service before the end of this season if it doesn't get better soon.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2020, 02:17 AM   #187
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
I was a little turned off by all the unnecessary cursing. I wanted a Trek I could watch with my kiddos. I can't watch this with kids. It also feels like they are forcing f-bombs into the dialog just to get a TV-14 rating.

Also, it really feels like this is about 10 years too late. Action scenes with Picard is pretty cringe-full and painful to watch. I just find myself worrying that he will fall and break a hip. Patrick Stewart is 79 years old. At no point should he be flying 30 feet through the air after an explosion. That would end any 80 year old person. Apparently not in Star Trek though. He just had a scrape on the head and was otherwise fine.

The story started out pretty well. Now it feels like it's dragging along for the last few episodes to me. The cameo's feel forced and out of place. For example all of a sudden out of nowhere and with no context a cameo person appears and joins into a space battle for no apparent reason. That made no sense.

It has it's good points. The overall story is a decent premise. It just feels like the last few episodes are going in multiple different directions very, very slowly. Also, I'm starting to get a 'Tilly' vibe out of the blonde Dr. Agnes Jurati character. I'm really not liking that much.

All in all I'd give it like a 7.5/10 so far. I really hope that it picks up from here. I kind of doubt it though. On a side note, I am paying for it. I'm really entertaining dropping the CBS service before the end of this season if it doesn't get better soon.
Yep, Agnes is the Wesley Crusher of the series, although that raffi with her constant bitching is gunning for a close second. I'm not liking either of them at all.

"If Fascism Ever Comes to America, It Will Come in the Name of Liberalism -Ronald Reagan"
Old Feb 15, 2020, 05:29 AM   #188
wazman
Resident Curmudgeon

wazman once held a door open for a complete strangerwazman once held a door open for a complete strangerwazman once held a door open for a complete strangerwazman once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
People in Star Trek live longer than people today, though, so an 80-year-old in Picard's time is like a younger person today. Your point is still valid, though. I think Admiral McCoy in the STTNG pilot was supposed to be 130 years old, and he didn't seem to be having any problems getting around or with his memory.

RIP, Hannibal. RIP, Shadow. RIP, Mitchell. RIP, Annie. RIP, Jones.
wazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2020, 12:31 PM   #189
xCLAVEx
Not gone

So...Picard seems to be in the Prime timeline with Kelvin influences.

Quote:
"We are in the Prime timeline," Kurtzman confirmed, referring to the original series timeline as opposed to the alternate "Kelvin" timeline established in JJ Abrams' 2009 Star Trek movie. "Events from the Kelvin timeline impacted Picard, but if you look at that movie, the destruction of Romulus was in the Prime timeline. It is what enabled the Kelvin timeline jump to happen. So that is very consistent with canon." In other words, the fall of Romulus is the inciting incident for both the Kelvin timeline, and for Star Trek: Picard, which is the first onscreen Trek story to explore the aftermath of that event.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...ine-explained/
In a nutshell; the events of the 2009 reboot movie where Romulus blew up also happened in the Prime timeline due to Spocks meddling with time travel.

Old Feb 17, 2020, 04:25 PM   #190
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

**** those Abrams movies. Might as well forget it like you would a bad case of gonorrhea.
But hey, let us not forget that while you bemoan about how Hollywood is bending over backwards for that market, you're also asking them to simultaneously consider the 'delicate' sensibilities of those state side who need to see a flag plastered all over the place like some Michael Bay movie barfed into another equally worse Michael Bay movie that then **** into the mouth of the team who designs the Call of Duty campaigns with all of their red, white and blue awesomeness with such an overly large boner for America that one does not need to actually 'fly' to the moon, they simply could tight rope on top if it. And if you're concerned about whether or not that penis is strong enough to be load bearing for such a journey, you forget that what fills all of those engorged crevices is freedom.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2020, 05:24 PM   #191
Cyko
Rusty Pirate

Cyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
Might as well forget it like you would a bad case of gonorrhea.
That's the problem, you should never forget that. You don't want to catch it again

Alpha
| Mobo: MSI P6N-SLI | CPU: Intel C2D E6600 @ 3.2ghz | Memory: 4GB (4x1GB) G.Skill DDR2-800 | Video Card: EVGA NVIDIA 8800GTX | Hard Drive(s): 2xMaxtor 200GB | Sound: Onboard 7.1 HD | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 | PSU: OCZ GameXstream 700w | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Vista Home Premium |

Omega

| Mobo: Asus A8V S939 VIA K8T800 Pro | CPU: Athlon 64 X2 3800+ "Manchester" | Memory: 2GB (2x1GB) OCZ PC3200 Platinum | Video Card: BBA AIW X800 XT | Hard Drive(s): Maxtor 100GB + Maxtor 200GB + WD 120GB | Sound: SB Audigy 2 ZS | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | DVD Reader: Memorex Generic | Case: Antec Lifestyle Sonata II | PSU: Antec 450w SmartPower 2.0 | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Windows XP Media Center Edition |

Cyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2020, 05:34 PM   #192
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyko View Post
That's the problem, you should never forget that. You don't want to catch it again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz8bOTVvwuI
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2020, 08:14 AM   #193
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

As mentioned before, Stewart is really showing is age here. His slow speech and movements are quite a contrast to the last time we saw him on screen. We all get old, and he still looks darn good for 79, but I can't help but cringe a little every time I see him. He should NOT be doing action scenes.

Sadly, I don't care about any of the other characters. Just finished Ep3 and I'm going to have to force myself to watch the rest.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2020, 09:19 AM   #194
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
Sadly, I don't care about any of the other characters. Just finished Ep3 and I'm going to have to force myself to watch the rest.
7 of Hot looking good as ever....

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2020, 10:47 AM   #195
xCLAVEx
Not gone

Quote:
As mentioned before, Stewart is really showing is age here. His slow speech and movements are quite a contrast to the last time we saw him on screen. We all get old, and he still looks darn good for 79, but I can't help but cringe a little every time I see him. He should NOT be doing action scenes.

I agree. I just don't care for the other characters so far. Also, why did they make the romulans look like space elves now?

Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:34 AM   #196
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:

I noticed his age and how much he slowed down when I saw him in the Movie Logan. Which is why I was really surprised about Star Trek Picard. Thought maybe it was just his character in Logan.... Nope! He's up there in age, but he wasn't young when TNG series and movies ended, and neither was his character Captain Picard, so we shouldn't expect anything different. He's an old man, playing an old man in Star Trek Picard. But I believe that is part of the plot of the series, an old man, long past his time, trying to do what's he believes is right, against all odds.

~I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability. ~ Ron White
~You can't fix Stupid! ~ Ron White
~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad
~Live everyday as though it is your last, it can all end at any moment!

Last edited by NWR_Midnight : Feb 18, 2020 at 11:54 AM.
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2020, 12:07 PM   #197
xCLAVEx
Not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWR_Midnight View Post
I noticed his age and how much he slowed down when I saw him in the Movie Logan. Which is why I was really surprised about Star Trek Picard. Thought maybe it was just his character in Logan.... Nope! He's up there in age, but he wasn't young when TNG series and movies ended, and neither was his character Captain Picard, so we shouldn't expect anything different. He's an old man, playing an old man in Star Trek Picard. But I believe that is part of the plot of the series, an old man, long past his time, trying to do what's he believes is right, against all odds.
Picard is fine, it's the weak cast around him that is problematic. Perhaps Jeri Ryan, Frakes, and friends can make it better...

Old Feb 18, 2020, 12:12 PM   #198
Capt. Picard
Radeon Northern Islands

Capt. Picard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Capt. Picard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Capt. Picard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Capt. Picard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Capt. Picard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Capt. Picard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCLAVEx View Post
Picard is fine, it's the weak cast around him that is problematic. Perhaps Jeri Ryan, Frakes, and friends can make it better...
I looking forward to that as well. Frakes is directing and I know that he can step up his acting when the need arises.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 12:19 PM   #199
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCLAVEx View Post
You forgot your Sarcasm tag.

~I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability. ~ Ron White
~You can't fix Stupid! ~ Ron White
~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad
~Live everyday as though it is your last, it can all end at any moment!
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2020, 12:25 PM   #200
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
7 of Hot looking good as ever....
She hasn't shown up yet, but I might just keep watching to see her.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 12:26 PM   #201
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
She hasn't shown up yet, but I might just keep watching to see her.
She did in the last episode!

yoz
Old Feb 18, 2020, 12:27 PM   #202
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
She did in the last episode!
I just finished Ep3 so I'm behind.

Re: Mr. Stewart's age, I hope I look as good as he does when I'm 80(ish). I've always had a bro-crush on that guy.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 02:23 PM   #203
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Re: Mr. Stewart's age, I hope I look as good as he does when I'm 80(ish).
Ya, rly.

yoz