Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Aug 29, 2018, 09:19 AM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
I haven't had a phone ever last this long out of the box. Of course batteries age.
Never had an Xperia Z3
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:56 AM   #92
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
I haven't had a phone ever last this long out of the box. Of course batteries age.
Of course new phones with higher capacity batteries and optimized systems run longer? Its really how they deal with them over time as you bog the system down.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:04 PM   #93
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Come back in a couple of months and report. Most batteries are amazing the first couple of months people get it. But things start to equalize, phones arent fresh and batteries goes out of that honeymoon phase.
Samsung has started something where they say the battery maintains 95% of it's capacity after a year of use, and those with the S8/Note8 have said that claim has held up.

My guess is that they actually put larger batteries in, and then hardware lock it to only charge so much, effectively preventing the full charge cycle each time.
(Note 8 had a 4000mHa battery, note 9 has larger)

That said, I'm taking it a step further and not fully charging my phone often, and not leaving it on the charger at all. It's 11pm at night and I still have 50% of my battery left. That is insane, my note 5 would have died twice over already. LOL

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
:heart: I took a few weeks off, but Rage is like a home away from home.
A2597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:16 PM   #94
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2597 View Post
Samsung has started something where they say the battery maintains 95% of it's capacity after a year of use, and those with the S8/Note8 have said that claim has held up.

My guess is that they actually put larger batteries in, and then hardware lock it to only charge so much, effectively preventing the full charge cycle each time.

That said, I'm taking it a step further and not fully charging my phone often, and not leaving it on the charger at all. It's 11pm at night and I still have 50% of my battery left. That is insane, my note 5 would have died twice over already. LOL
Youre coming from a note 5 though lol. Any recent phone will crush that in every category.

Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:19 PM   #95
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

finely got my kenwood navigation system back from kenwood fixing the tuner for 6 weeks

so my note 8 is back to being plugged into android auto all the time
battery life doesn't matter anymore again
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2018, 07:28 AM   #96
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:

Do you also turn off fast charge? I only use that when I absolutely need to. I don't go as far as stopping short of 100% because like you said, pretty sure there are things in place to not allow it to fully charge already. Plus it slows down pretty fast as it nears 100% if you look at the charging tests, turns it into more of a trickle charge.

That being said, it's nice not having to charge the phone every day, especially one with a screen this big and with specs like this. I started today with 47% and 4h10m of screen time.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2018, 08:39 AM   #97
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

How are your Note 9 s-pen? I have been seeing increasing reports of the tail cap breaking. Is the Note 9's s-pen that flimsy?

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
0091/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2018, 09:57 AM   #98
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Nothing wrong with mine, I did see a thread about them being bent though, but such is expected when the whole thing is plastic (not breaking, but the curve I've seen).

As for the battery, not a single day yet where I haven't had at least 5 hours of screen time stretched across two days.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:27 AM   #99
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Sea Islands

NWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird singsNWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird singsNWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird singsNWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird singsNWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird singsNWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0091/2 View Post
How are your Note 9 s-pen? I have been seeing increasing reports of the tail cap breaking. Is the Note 9's s-pen that flimsy?
S-pens breaking/bending are caused by the user, not the design, as it hasn't changed much. if the end cap is breaking, or the pen is getting bent, it means the user is either not pushing it back in till it clicks closed, or they are putting it in their pocket and it is accidentally getting pressed and pops up (happens to me at times, on all notes I have owned (3, 5, and now 8), and I know it isn't Samsung's fault). Or they are screwing with the end cap (clicking it like a pen out of habit) and when they go to put it away, it is in the down position and it pops up when they insert it, rather than the closed/safe position, which will cause it to get bent/break, or at times, for the pen to slide out part way causing it to get bent or damaged.

My son broke the pen on my old note 5 a month after I gave it to him. It was his fault, he admitted he didn't get it in all the way and shoved it in his pocket. (I had the phone for 2 years with no issues). In fact, to this day, I have yet to break an S-Pen, or damage one.
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:19 PM   #100
somewon
Radeon R700

somewon is still being judged by the masses

On the topic of battery tips and management:

I'm a serial charger, my phone is probably plugged into the charger most of the days at work, from 8-5.

When I'm at home and relaxing on the sofa, again, you'll most likely find my phone plugged into the charger.

Or when I'm in the car, again, it's charging away.
Likewise, at night, it's plugged in and charging its way to 100% until I unplug in the morning.

I always like to have my battery charged/topped off, in the off-chance that I won't be near a charger for some prolonged time, be it an emergency scenario or otherwise -- knowing that I'm at 100% instead of 15-50% is a much more comforting thought.

And in the 13 months now that I've owned my Note 8, I can't say that battery performance has been markedly compromised, certainly not enough to worry about how I charge, when I charge, did I charge too much, too little -- I just plug it in and unplug it whenever I feel like it.

And according to AccuBattery, my Battery Health (in terms of current capacity / original) = 92%, which I say bears out in real life usage.

All of this to say, I think you guys are making too much of big deal out of nothing/User battery management.
somewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2018, 04:20 PM   #101
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWR_Midnight View Post
S-pens breaking/bending are caused by the user, not the design, as it hasn't changed much. if the end cap is breaking, or the pen is getting bent, it means the user is either not pushing it back in till it clicks closed, or they are putting it in their pocket and it is accidentally getting pressed and pops up (happens to me at times, on all notes I have owned (3, 5, and now 8), and I know it isn't Samsung's fault). Or they are screwing with the end cap (clicking it like a pen out of habit) and when they go to put it away, it is in the down position and it pops up when they insert it, rather than the closed/safe position, which will cause it to get bent/break, or at times, for the pen to slide out part way causing it to get bent or damaged.

My son broke the pen on my old note 5 a month after I gave it to him. It was his fault, he admitted he didn't get it in all the way and shoved it in his pocket. (I had the phone for 2 years with no issues). In fact, to this day, I have yet to break an S-Pen, or damage one.
A lot of people are breaking it the same way taking it out of their phone. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1FIgnN04SXU
https://youtu.be/bVKMDY13_q8?t=3m4s
It looks like the Note9 is thinner at the part that breaks compared to the note 8 s-pen

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
Old Sep 4, 2018, 06:20 PM   #102
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Sea Islands

NWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird singsNWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird singsNWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird singsNWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird singsNWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird singsNWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
A lot of people are breaking it the same way taking it out of their phone. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1FIgnN04SXU
https://youtu.be/bVKMDY13_q8?t=3m4s
It looks like the Note9 is thinner at the part that breaks compared to the note 8 s-pen
There is nothing indicating it is weaker, just minor changes. The video that supposedly shows it breaking is staged. (watch it, pay attention, there are a few indicators, the biggest one is no broken piece is never visible, it just "disappears" into thin air) In this case, I bet it is user error and he is trying to cash in on it. I suspect it was not inserted and closed properly, which if you leave it sticking out, it will damage it and/or cause it to crack.

However, as of anything made in large quantities, every once in a while you get a defective one, but 99.9% of the time, s-pen damage is due to user neglect/improper use.

Last edited by NWR_Midnight : Sep 4, 2018 at 06:32 PM.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 08:45 PM   #103
0091/2
We Do It!

Quote:
There is nothing indicating it is weaker, just minor changes. The video that supposedly shows it breaking is staged. (watch it, pay attention, there are a few indicators, the biggest one is no broken piece is never visible, it just "disappears" into thin air) In this case, I bet it is user error and he is trying to cash in on it. I suspect it was not inserted and closed properly, which if you leave it sticking out, it will damage it and/or cause it to crack.
Why would someone stage this? It's hard to see in the video but I do notice the missing button after the audible click.

Quote:
However, as of anything made in large quantities, every once in a while you get a defective one, but 99.9% of the time, s-pen damage is due to user neglect/improper use.
True. I have been fairly active on the note 8 reddit since I got it. I haven't read any the tail cap breaking before. It's very concerning to see new s-pen threads pop-up what feels like daily occurrences on note 9 reddit. It is a very small sample though.

I'll be getting mine tomorrow. Do you recommend using Samsung smart to move data to the new phone? Someone recommend using "super back-up" for backing up text messages. Is this good advice?

Current Desktop [2016]
Old Sep 4, 2018, 09:28 PM   #104
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Sea Islands

Quote:
Why would someone stage this? It's hard to see in the video but I do notice the missing button after the audible click.
Oh, it just vanishes.. but wouldn't you think it we would see it go flying onto the counter or somewhere.. it just disappears. Also, why didn't it come out when he tried to take it out the correct way, and then it breaks when he tries to remove pushing from the side, the incorrect way?

The internet is full of stuff like this, for one reason or another (you tuber trying to get more subscribers maybe?)

Quote:
True. I have been fairly active on the note 8 reddit since I got it. I haven't read any the tail cap breaking before. It's very concerning to see new s-pen threads pop-up what feels like daily occurrences on note 9 reddit. It is a very small sample though.

I'll be getting mine tomorrow. Do you recommend using Samsung smart to move data to the new phone? Someone recommend using "super back-up" for backing up text messages. Is this good advice?
I never move anything but contacts, If I need a record of text messages, I use Textra which gives you the option to email yourself the complete conversation, or singled out messages. anything that is of importance data, photo's etc, I have linked to drop box so it is automatically backed up in the cloud and on my pc at home. I install everything from scratch.

Last edited by NWR_Midnight : Sep 5, 2018 at 08:24 AM.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 08:15 PM   #105
0091/2
We Do It!

Is it me or is the phone visibility option missing? Is used to be a button option in the notification panel and in wifi connections settings under Bluetooth.

Current Desktop [2016]
Old Sep 5, 2018, 09:50 PM   #106
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Sea Islands

Quote:
Is it me or is the phone visibility option missing? Is used to be a button option in the notification panel and in wifi connections settings under Bluetooth.
I believe it is under connections in settings. 3rd option from the top.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:59 AM   #107
0091/2
We Do It!

Quote:
I believe it is under connections in settings. 3rd option from the top.
I fixed it. I needed smart things app. which I don't need because I don't have any smart devices.

Current Desktop [2016]

Last edited by 0091/2 : Sep 6, 2018 at 07:21 AM.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 09:03 AM   #108
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

I think my favorite feature is that the battery is good enough for a full day of normal usage outside, where you have to crank the brightness. I've never had a phone where I could max brightness and still use it normally without worry.

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.

Quote:
Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:51 AM   #109
0091/2
We Do It!

Anyone here use Bixby? The new Bixby is horrible. It doesn't perform phone command accurately like it did on my note 8. I simply asked it to show me display options - it open yelp instead. It heard me right. it had a good reputation of controlling your phone. Now it doesn't do that right. Bixby is now useless.

Current Desktop [2016]
Old Sep 11, 2018, 03:39 PM   #110
A2597
A Peculiar Person

About to go on a business trip, so picked up a USB-C adapter for Dex for use in the hotel. Will let you know how it works.
(HDMI, 2 USB ports, pass through charging)

Quote:
Old Sep 15, 2018, 05:41 PM   #111
0091/2
We Do It!

Current Desktop [2016]
Old Sep 16, 2018, 09:20 AM   #112
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Wow. Glad I didn't "upgrade". I'm sure it will eventually get fixed, but last thing Samsung needs is another black eye for their Notes.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2018, 11:09 AM   #113
0091/2
We Do It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
Wow. Glad I didn't "upgrade". I'm sure it will eventually get fixed, but last thing Samsung needs is another black eye for their Notes.
It looks like it affects the 512gb model more than the base 128gb.
There was a report yesterday someone's note 9 caught fire. I imagine Samsung's mobile president DJ Koh might be having flashbacks right about now. We've been using li-on wayyyyyyyy to long.

Current Desktop [2016]
Old Sep 18, 2018, 08:40 AM   #114
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Just opened up my 512GB yesterday and haven't had this problem at all. Never had it on my 128GB either.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 03:35 PM   #115
A2597
A Peculiar Person

Ok, DeX is pretty sweet now that I've had reason to play with it.
Little things like slack using the desktop layout is nice.

Also....having a phone that plays gamecube and PSP games on a TV with a wireless controller on business trips is ace.

Quote:
Old Sep 19, 2018, 07:43 PM   #116
logical
What is my purpose?

Quote:
Ok, DeX is pretty sweet now that I've had reason to play with it.
Little things like slack using the desktop layout is nice.

Also....having a phone that plays gamecube and PSP games on a TV with a wireless controller on business trips is ace.
Dex looks like something Apple is going to steal. New iOS suggests that the next iPads can output to TVs.

Old Oct 2, 2018, 02:16 PM   #117
A2597
A Peculiar Person

So had this phone for a little bit now, still easily the best phone I've ever owned.
Literally nothing to not like about it. And we're getting a software camera update soon. Even better!

Quote:
Old Oct 2, 2018, 03:18 PM   #118
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Same. Wish the update would drop but from what I heard it's nothing very noticeable, haven't seen real world tests though.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 03:33 PM   #119
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Sea Islands

My 18 year old son just ordered a note 9, so it will be fun to see the differences between that and my note 8. Of course he will notice a change, as he is going from my old note 5.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 07:15 PM   #120
0091/2
We Do It!

Quote:
My 18 year old son just ordered a note 9, so it will be fun to see the differences between that and my note 8. Of course he will notice a change, as he is going from my old note 5.
One thing that sucks about the note 9 right now is the camera randomly freezes.

Quote:
Just opened up my 512GB yesterday and haven't had this problem at all. Never had it on my 128GB either.
Did you experience any camera freezes on your 512gb?

Current Desktop [2016]