Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old May 9, 2017, 10:18 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Default Elex- Spiritual Successor to Gothic?

So Piranha Bytes is working on their next game, it is a new IP called Elex. Set to release sometime this year.

http://elexgame.com/

The Setting:
Quote:
Advanced in technology, civilized and with a population of billions, Magalan was a planet looking to the future. Then the meteor hit.

Those who survived are now trapped in a battle to survive, a struggle to decide the fate of a planet. At the center of this fight is the element “Elex”. A precious, limited resource that arrived with the meteor, Elex can power machines, open the door to magic, or re-sculpt life into new, different forms.

But which of these choices should be the future of Magalan? Can technology or magic save this world? Or will this new power destroy all those left alive amongst the ruins?
There are 4 preview gameplay videos that are 40 minutes each, some with English translations if you do not know German.

After watching these, this game feels like a spiritual successor to Gothic. Gothic was one of the best Open World RPGs out there.

Here is the Steam link
http://store.steampowered.com/app/411300/ELEX/

If you have Amazon prime, you can get the game for $40 for PC version
https://www.amazon.com/Elex-PC/dp/B01GT0RJWG?th=1
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2017, 01:39 AM   #2
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

This game looks like it could easily be the best open world RPG since Witcher 3, and could be a whole lot better than Witcher 3.

If you liked Witcher 3, this game might be something you will like as well.

Yes, I am really excited for the game.
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Old May 10, 2017, 01:48 AM   #3
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

only because there have not been many since witcher 3. Definitely going to be worth checking out, but while i loved the first three gothic games, and even gothic four was pretty goode, none of them compare to the witcher in anything but maybe their combat/rpg mechanics.
Feather_Of_A_Phoenix: Nah I think it's utterly ridiculous when I invalidate someones very existence and they get mad at me. Like the **** I was just attacking an integral part of you! Why you gotta get mad at me?
theshadowcult is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 10, 2017, 02:28 AM   #4
lviz
On my way

lviz is still being judged by the masses

The mechanics in Gothics were a bit clumsy always IMO, but the worlds were good. I liked especially G2, and G3 was quite good also after it got some thousands of patches. I tried replaying the first Gothic last winter, but it's not aged very well.
Old May 10, 2017, 02:31 AM   #5
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

Napoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisberg View Post
This game looks like it could easily be the best open world RPG since Witcher 3, and could be a whole lot better than Witcher 3.

If you liked Witcher 3, this game might be something you will like as well.

Yes, I am really excited for the game.
Combat in this game looks awful.
Old May 10, 2017, 03:11 AM   #6
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by lviz View Post
The mechanics in Gothics were a bit clumsy always IMO, but the worlds were good. I liked especially G2, and G3 was quite good also after it got some thousands of patches. I tried replaying the first Gothic last winter, but it's not aged very well.
I have been replaying Gothic recently, and there is a DX11 mod for the game and makes the game look better and use some of the DX11 features.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=484664831

I highly recommend it. They did the same thing for Gothic 2 as well.

I started to play Gothic 1 again before I saw the Elex gameplay videos, and while watching that I could see so much of Gothic in that game.
Quote:
Old May 10, 2017, 03:13 AM   #7
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleonic View Post
Looks good to me. Nothing flashy like it was in Witcher 3 or other 3rd person combat games, but looks more appropriate for an RPG /shrug
Quote:
Old May 10, 2017, 03:19 AM   #8
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Combat in these games are always pretty rough, but it's better than it looks. Much better than it looks.
Feather_Of_A_Phoenix: Nah I think it's utterly ridiculous when I invalidate someones very existence and they get mad at me. Like the **** I was just attacking an integral part of you! Why you gotta get mad at me?
Old May 10, 2017, 04:54 AM   #9
lviz
On my way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisberg View Post
I have been replaying Gothic recently, and there is a DX11 mod for the game and makes the game look better and use some of the DX11 features.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=484664831

I highly recommend it. They did the same thing for Gothic 2 as well.

I started to play Gothic 1 again before I saw the Elex gameplay videos, and while watching that I could see so much of Gothic in that game.
I don't mind the original graphics. The controls are what made me quit.
Old May 10, 2017, 10:17 AM   #10
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird sings

I liked all of Piranha Byte games, which includes Gothic 1 - 3, Risen 1 - 3, so this one I expect will be fantastic as well.

IMO PB games have the best RPG open worlds. Gothic 3 is proof of this, despite its drawbacks. I think the only game that came close was Witcher 3.
But hey, let us not forget that while you bemoan about how Hollywood is bending over backwards for that market, you're also asking them to simultaneously consider the 'delicate' sensibilities of those state side who need to see a flag plastered all over the place like some Michael Bay movie barfed into another equally worse Michael Bay movie that then **** into the mouth of the team who designs the Call of Duty campaigns with all of their red, white and blue awesomeness with such an overly large boner for America that one does not need to actually 'fly' to the moon, they simply could tight rope on top if it. And if you're concerned about whether or not that penis is strong enough to be load bearing for such a journey, you forget that what fills all of those engorged crevices is freedom.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2017, 01:14 PM   #11
lviz
On my way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
I liked all of Piranha Byte games, which includes Gothic 1 - 3, Risen 1 - 3, so this one I expect will be fantastic as well.

IMO PB games have the best RPG open worlds. Gothic 3 is proof of this, despite its drawbacks. I think the only game that came close was Witcher 3.
G3 world is indeed very good. What I've managed to play of the new Zelda surpasses it so far, though. I've only played Witcher 3 for about 10 minutes, so can't compare to it.
Old May 10, 2017, 01:34 PM   #12
Bires
50 lb lap dog ;)

Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:

Me too. I LOVED the Risen games. 2 and 3 are in my top 10. Unfortunately many people won't play them due to mediocre reviews.
My computer? I've put its specs in the box to the left.
There are many people on the Rage3D forums.
They're very proud of their computers.
Bires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2017, 02:10 PM   #13
atomBomb
Diamond Stealth 2mb VRAM

atomBomb is still being judged by the masses

Man, does it look awful after horizon zero dawn.

pc-masterrace
atomBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2017, 03:11 PM   #14
yoz
The Garbage Man

yoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:

Same for me. There is something about PB games that no other developer can replicate. They are janky, little rough, but boy are they fun.

Witcher 3 is on another level in terms of production values, but in terms of gameplay PB games are my favotite.
  • Play the classics
  • Vista/XP Compatible
yoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2017, 04:46 PM   #15
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomBomb View Post
Man, does it look awful after horizon zero dawn.
meh, that is just graphics, the gameplay is more important.
Quote:
Old May 10, 2017, 05:40 PM   #16
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
How it could it be a PB game otherwise?
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2017, 07:13 PM   #17
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Looks fairly interesting...combat (what little I saw) didn't look too terrible, little monsters getting blown a few feet in the air looked entertaining....maybe...
Old May 11, 2017, 03:07 AM   #18
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Danny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDanny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I'm hyped. I should install and finish Risen 3 before this though.
ASUS PG279Q | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC 2025MHz/12.2GHz | Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | Fractal Design R4 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | SteelSeries Rival 310 | Qpad MK-50 | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + 840 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 10 Professional

iPhone 8 Plus
Danny Nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017, 06:23 AM   #19
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

could be a really cool game. As for the combat, well, it looks sluggish as expected. No real dealbreaker though, i guess, at least if the world and story makes up for it.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Another world, another time, in the age of wonder. A thousand years ago, this land was green and good - until the Crystal cracked."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017, 10:16 AM   #20
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Nissan View Post
I'm hyped. I should install and finish Risen 3 before this though.
Risen 3 is an interesting game.

At first I didn't like the new character (Risen 1 and 2 had the same protagonist). But this new fella has the funniest one liners and comments, like he just don't gaf . Risen 3 turned out to be one of the better games in the series.

But hey, let us not forget that while you bemoan about how Hollywood is bending over backwards for that market, you're also asking them to simultaneously consider the 'delicate' sensibilities of those state side who need to see a flag plastered all over the place like some Michael Bay movie barfed into another equally worse Michael Bay movie that then **** into the mouth of the team who designs the Call of Duty campaigns with all of their red, white and blue awesomeness with such an overly large boner for America that one does not need to actually 'fly' to the moon, they simply could tight rope on top if it. And if you're concerned about whether or not that penis is strong enough to be load bearing for such a journey, you forget that what fills all of those engorged crevices is freedom.

Last edited by Exposed : May 11, 2017 at 10:22 AM.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017, 10:50 AM   #21
yoz
The Garbage Man

yoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete stranger

I know, i love the dialogue in the games. Everyone is such an asshole. I remember in Risen 2, some pirate guy referred to the big boss as " That bitch Mara". Was pretty funny to me, came out of nowhere.
  • Play the classics
  • Vista/XP Compatible
Old May 11, 2017, 01:41 PM   #22
Higgy10

Higgy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

the thing i loved about gothic 1+2 was that it was a hand crafted open world. No level scaling, lots of scripted encounters, great dialouge and story. That euro jank combat grew on you after a while too.
CFX 290
Acer Predator x34 21:9
Intel x25-m 80gb ssd and 500gb SSD
2x1tb WD Black in raid0
Higgy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017, 06:27 PM   #23
Nagorak

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I loved Gothic 1 and 2, however I have to part with others about later games. Gothic 3 started out good, but the storyline was ultimately too drawn out and the horrendous combat grew really irritating by the end of the game (I didn't think the combat in the first two was actually bad). Risen was good for the first half, and combat was much improved, but then the story just disappeared for the second half of the game.

So, really from Gothic 3 onward I have been disappointed by PB. I hope they manage to get back to basics and create a game that's truly good from start to finish. The first two Gothics are true master pieces, but the later games fell short, IMO.
Old May 11, 2017, 08:10 PM   #24
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I loved Gothic 1 and 2, however I have to part with others about later games. Gothic 3 started out good, but the storyline was ultimately too drawn out and the horrendous combat grew really irritating by the end of the game (I didn't think the combat in the first two was actually bad). Risen was good for the first half, and combat was much improved, but then the story just disappeared for the second half of the game.

So, really from Gothic 3 onward I have been disappointed by PB. I hope they manage to get back to basics and create a game that's truly good from start to finish. The first two Gothics are true master pieces, but the later games fell short, IMO.
I agree with everything you said there.

Gothic 3 does have the community patch, which Pirahna Bytes took part in, that apparently fixes most of the problems with the game. If you have the Steam version you can put Gothic 3 into beta mode and it will update your game to the community patch version, otherwise the patch is available on the internet.

I was very disappointed in Gothic 3 and I never got far into it, like 10 hours. I am currently playing Gothic 1, then I'll head to Gothic 2, and after that I will do Gothic 3 with community patch and hopefully it is much improved.

I have Risen 1, but something about that game never really grabbed me for some reason, even from the start, i really cannot put my finger on it as to why. So I didn't get far into that game either.

But with Elex, just watching the gameplay videos which is about 3 hours starting at the beginning of the game, it already grabbed me like Gothic 1 did and so much of it reminded me of Gothic. So I have high hopes this game is them going back to what made Gothic 1 and 2 so great.
Quote:
Old May 11, 2017, 08:30 PM   #25
yoz
The Garbage Man

Disagree, Risen 1 is an excellent game, and I liked it better than Gothic. It has the best combat of the PB games too.

And the second half "problem" where its mostly dungeon crawling, is present in both Gothic 1 and 2, yet people always blame Risen only.

For me though, i like hacking and slashing, and having done lots of questing and getting lots of gear, its good to go on some rampage towards end game.
  • Play the classics
  • Vista/XP Compatible
Old May 11, 2017, 09:05 PM   #26
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoz View Post
Disagree, Risen 1 is an excellent game, and I liked it better than Gothic. It has the best combat of the PB games too.

And the second half "problem" where its mostly dungeon crawling, is present in both Gothic 1 and 2, yet people always blame Risen only.

For me though, i like hacking and slashing, and having done lots of questing and getting lots of gear, its good to go on some rampage towards end game.
I think for me when it came to the feeling of Risen 1 and comparing it to the feeling of Gothic 1 it was really different.

This article talks about what made Gothic 1 different than other games of its time, and imo that didn't ring true with Risen 1, it didn't feel like it had a society in the same magnitude of Gothic 1.

Here is the article
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...retrospective/

I am hoping Elex will be bringing that level of society back with improvements.
Quote:
Old May 12, 2017, 08:51 AM   #27
DiaperJe|\|i3
Proud Papa

DiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete strangerDiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete strangerDiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete strangerDiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post

Same here. Risen was far more polished in terms of mechanics and build quality but never quite captured the feeling of the Gothic 1/2. Maybe I got old and jaded *shrugs*.

edit : Keeping fingers crossed as Sci-Fi space opera is the cats ass!
DiaperJe|\|i3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2017, 01:09 AM   #28
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

You know, im playing risen 3 right now, and i cant help but feel, with the changes made over the years, that it simply would have been better off as a first person game like elder scrolls. Not just a fp camera in the current game, but built the same way with a fp camera as the basis.
Old May 14, 2017, 01:17 AM   #29
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadowcult View Post
You know, im playing risen 3 right now, and i cant help but feel, with the changes made over the years, that it simply would have been better off as a first person game like elder scrolls. Not just a fp camera in the current game, but built the same way with a fp camera as the basis.
I never played Risen 3, so can you explain why it would have been better in FP?

I know I couldn't imagine Gothic 1 and 2 in FP, and felt they are better as third person.
Quote:
Old May 15, 2017, 03:56 PM   #30
Nagorak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiaperJe|\|i3 View Post
Same here. Risen was far more polished in terms of mechanics and build quality but never quite captured the feeling of the Gothic 1/2. Maybe I got old and jaded *shrugs*.

edit : Keeping fingers crossed as Sci-Fi space opera is the cats ass!
I think one thing missing from Risen was the character connections. I still remember my "friends" from Gothic 1 and 2. I can't remember pretty much anyone from Risen. It's still a decent game though, and did capture some of the feeling of Gothic, it just wasn't quite as good.