Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Jan 28, 2019, 01:05 PM   #1261
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Awesome if its working for $10.

I really wish I could find more Dreamcast games in thrift stores. Just never see them.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2019, 03:16 PM   #1262
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
Awesome if its working for $10.

I really wish I could find more Dreamcast games in thrift stores. Just never see them.
Yeah I need to make some time to take it apart.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2019, 03:21 PM   #1263
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

You could always replace the power supply with a DreamPSU, or put in one of the various SD card solutions. Those cost more $$, but will definitely get a broken dreamcast working again.

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 28, 2019, 03:54 PM   #1264
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog View Post
You could always replace the power supply with a DreamPSU, or put in one of the various SD card solutions. Those cost more $$, but will definitely get a broken dreamcast working again.
Yeah I'm expecting to do that at some point. I have enough GDROMs though that I'd like to have a Dreamcast that actually reads them.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 04:00 PM   #1265
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Yeah I'm expecting to do that at some point. I have enough GDROMs though that I'd like to have a Dreamcast that actually reads them.
How many have you come across that all do not run GDROM discs? Is it that widespread that they are all failing?

I found two Dreamcasts this year and they both still read GDROM discs so maybe I'm lucky.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 04:18 PM   #1266
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
How many have you come across that all do not run GDROM discs? Is it that widespread that they are all failing?

I found two Dreamcasts this year and they both still read GDROM discs so maybe I'm lucky.
I only have one other Dreamcast, and it reads the GDROM up to the point where I go to actually play the game, then it fails. Game loads up to the main menu then can't get any further. No such problem using a CDR copy of the game.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 06:53 PM   #1267
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

Quote:

Mine still works, but I keep hearing people say they're breaking down. Eventually they will all break. But for how often I actually play my dreamcast (rarely these days), mine may last forever afterall.

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
Old Jan 29, 2019, 09:03 AM   #1268
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
I only have one other Dreamcast, and it reads the GDROM up to the point where I go to actually play the game, then it fails. Game loads up to the main menu then can't get any further. No such problem using a CDR copy of the game.
I always thought it was more likely the other way around, in that they stop running CDR copies of games before the GDROM. But I probably just had that wrong. I've heard of people fixing it by adjusting the laser but I wouldn't ever recommend trying that unless you really know what you're doing. Those things are sooo sensitive and easy to screw up. Furthermore even if it worked its likely only a temporary fix.

Quote:
Mine still works, but I keep hearing people say they're breaking down. Eventually they will all break. But for how often I actually play my dreamcast (rarely these days), mine may last forever afterall.
Yeah I don't play mine much either, mainly because I don't have many games for it. I've downloaded some expensive Japanese shooters but they are all short games. Maybe at some point I'll finally luck into a big lot of Dreamcast games and be able to buy out someone's collection so I can have a decent library.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 02:05 PM   #1269
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Yeah I don't play mine much either, mainly because I don't have many games for it. I've downloaded some expensive Japanese shooters but they are all short games. Maybe at some point I'll finally luck into a big lot of Dreamcast games and be able to buy out someone's collection so I can have a decent library.
I love the Dreamcast for it's arcade games, experimental games, and the enormous leap in graphical fidelity. But honestly it's not a system that I play alot of hours on anymore for several reasons:
  • Controller lacks dual analog. Actually one of the most tragic misses about the dreamcast, in retrospect. FPS games, which were a major draw back in the day, don't stand up well because of the controller. And it's practically a crime that Canon Spike wasn't a twin-stick shooter.

• Poor framerates on many games. Sure, you could play FPS titles with the mouse & keyboard, but they still kindof suck because of the framerates.

• Game library lacks genre-defining titles. Sure the dreamcast has racing games, but there's nothing comparable to Gran Turismo. It has shooters, but there's nothing comparable to Halo. It has rpgs, but nothing comparable to Final Fantasy. It has platformers, but nothing comparable to Mario.

• Arcade games only go so far. Dreamcast has absolutely the best arcade games. But arcade games don't draw me in to spend hours and hours on the console.

• Games that really defined the dreamcast don't hold up so well. Sonic Adventure, in particular, has not stood the test of time well. Also Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, etc. The 2k sports games were top-class at the time, but sports games don't age well in general.

For me, the dreamcast stands up mostly on nostalgia, for it's technology & experimentation. But aside from its nostalgia & historical significance, I think there's little there to get excited about today. I still love it, but its mostly a collector's console for me. Contrast it against something like the SNES, which has many genre-defining games that stand up 100% today, even without the nostalgia-goggles.

That being said, I love that you can play dreamcast online again. I built a dreampi last year, and have played a few evenings of lagtastic Quake3. I'd love to see a larger dreampi community, but it's cool that it exists at all. I can't wait for them to get Outtrigger support up and running.

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580

Last edited by SubCog : Jan 30, 2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 02:58 PM   #1270
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Yeah back when it was released my younger brother bought one. It was an incredible leap in home console tech and we were amazed at the seemingly 1:1 Sega arcade ports, and the sports titles were top notch at the time. Other than that though there wasn't much else in the library that drew me in so I never got one myself. Also, the PS2 was released soon after and that was my go to at the time.

More recently though since I found one locally this past year I finally was able to D/L and burn some of the awesome shooters that are for it. Really, it has the best shoot em ups of any console.

I agree though its seems lacking of any real console defining games. In retrospect though, its short lifespan and limited third-party support is what killed it. Had it been more successful and around longer it might have had better games released for it.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 05:59 PM   #1271
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

So we bought a new house, and we're moving in a couple weeks. I should have a bit more room for my game room, so I'm thinking about how I might set it up. Hoping to expand by adding a couple more CRTs and maybe another HDTV too. I also want to have a permanent place to station my VirtualBoy & Vectrex. We'll see how much I actually get to do once we've gotten moved in and situated.

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:12 PM   #1272
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
So we bought a new house, and we're moving in a couple weeks. I should have a bit more room for my game room, so I'm thinking about how I might set it up. Hoping to expand by adding a couple more CRTs and maybe another HDTV too. I also want to have a permanent place to station my VirtualBoy & Vectrex. We'll see how much I actually get to do once we've gotten moved in and situated.
Congrats!

One thing I will suggest, plan to make for extra shelf space. You always end up needing more space for games than you think.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:39 AM   #1273
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Found a Duke Xbox controller for $5.

Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:04 PM   #1274
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

I've actually been semi- interested in picking up an original Xbox. I keep finding games for it i want to play on the cheap so seems its definitely a good time to be collecting for it.

Game pick ups for me, I've still be finding stuff here and there. Just haven't been posting them since hasn't been too much or too often. Before spring hits I'll probably show everything I've found over the winter in one big post.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 04:33 PM   #1275
Android1
Radeon Tahiti PRO2

Android1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
I've actually been semi- interested in picking up an original Xbox. I keep finding games for it i want to play on the cheap so seems its definitely a good time to be collecting for it.

Game pick ups for me, I've still be finding stuff here and there. Just haven't been posting them since hasn't been too much or too often. Before spring hits I'll probably show everything I've found over the winter in one big post.
Have you looked to see if your Xbox games are backwards-compatible with the Xbox One?
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2019, 07:54 AM   #1276
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:

Yeah, OG Xbox had some great titles, and its very moddable. My main Xbox is modded with XBMC and emulators and all that. I have two others, one is broken, the other one works as far as I remember but is unmodded.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 09:34 AM   #1277
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android1 View Post
Have you looked to see if your Xbox games are backwards-compatible with the Xbox One?
They might be, but I don't have an Xbox One nor will I be buying one anytime soon. I just don't buy current consoles, like ever. I only start buying console stuff once its a generation or two behind.

I'd be a buyer for an original second hand Xbox for around $20 locally. I see them all the time but just haven't grabbed one yet.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 09:36 AM   #1278
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Yeah, OG Xbox had some great titles, and its very moddable. My main Xbox is modded with XBMC and emulators and all that. I have two others, one is broken, the other one works as far as I remember but is unmodded.
Yes! I would probably try modding it if I got one. I also want to at some point mod my PSVITA but I'm not sure about that one yet since I still like to tie my PSN account to it.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:36 AM   #1279
Android1
Radeon Tahiti PRO2

Android1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
They might be, but I don't have an Xbox One nor will I be buying one anytime soon. I just don't buy current consoles, like ever. I only start buying console stuff once its a generation or two behind.

I'd be a buyer for an original second hand Xbox for around $20 locally. I see them all the time but just haven't grabbed one yet.
Ah, gotcha.
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2019, 08:14 PM   #1280
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Here's my underwhelming pick ups from the past month or so.

Everything was from thrift stores and FB deals. Best game was Lightening Force in the Genesis lot, which I've been wanting for ages. Got it for a steal considering how much it goes for. The God of War is sealed, and I've got a decent little collection started of sealed games now. Everything else is standard stuff that I just thought I'd add to the collection, except Wild Gunman and Wii Sports which I already had. Will flip those soon.

Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:33 AM   #1281
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Way to go Meteor. The rest of us are all shirking our game collecting duties, it seems.

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
Old Mar 15, 2019, 08:06 PM   #1282
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Way to go Meteor. The rest of us are all shirking our game collecting duties, it seems.
Yeah its OK stuff. But those pick ups are basically me not trying for 2 months.

I just don't see the point in putting in much effort over the winter around here. Until yard sale and flea market season starts up there's really not much to find.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 09:01 PM   #1283
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

ok, a few recent pickups from facebook, craigslist, & a gamestop sale. Oh, the megaman book was from amazon.

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
Old Yesterday, 08:52 AM   #1284
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Some nice finds there.

Let me know what you think about Mad World once you try it. I've seen it for cheap a few times but passed on it. Looks cool though with some interesting art style, and there's not many ultra violent games for the Wii.