Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Aug 29, 2019, 12:16 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Default AMD Overtakes Nvidia in Overall GPU Shipments for the First Time in Five Years

This is PC only and doesnt include console sales. Makes it interesting in that Nvidia is claiming all time highs in sales tho thats probably profit per sale. And AMD doesnt have much laptop discrete presence tho much more apu presence. Also doesnt mean AMD is making more $ than Nvidia but still.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/am...ort,40266.html

Can only wonder when AMD has a proper all new gpu product lineup next year how things will shape up.

Quote:
Jon Peddie Research has released its Q2 2019 GPU market results, and it's official: AMD shipped more graphics unit than Nvidia for the first time in five years, thanks to AMD shipping almost 9.85% more GPUs than in Q1 (by comparison, Nvidia sold about the same). The market share data represents cumulative shipments of all types of desktop PC graphics units, including those present in processors, which is an area that Nvidia doesn't have a significant market presence.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 20.1.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50a bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 20.1.3. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2019, 04:09 PM   #2
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

So, is it shipment or sales? There is a difference. You can ship all the products you want to a retail store, but if it doesn't sell.....

The article seems to want to treat it one and the same.
But hey, let us not forget that while you bemoan about how Hollywood is bending over backwards for that market, you're also asking them to simultaneously consider the 'delicate' sensibilities of those state side who need to see a flag plastered all over the place like some Michael Bay movie barfed into another equally worse Michael Bay movie that then **** into the mouth of the team who designs the Call of Duty campaigns with all of their red, white and blue awesomeness with such an overly large boner for America that one does not need to actually 'fly' to the moon, they simply could tight rope on top if it. And if you're concerned about whether or not that penis is strong enough to be load bearing for such a journey, you forget that what fills all of those engorged crevices is freedom.
Exposed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2019, 05:09 PM   #3
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Most shipments would be to oem's so def sales.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 20.1.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50a bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 20.1.3. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 29, 2019, 09:25 PM   #4
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

since intel is on top

Nvidia is being hurt by not having a APU and the sky high RTX prices

wonder if they count intel's igpu and AMD's APU's even if not used like my 3770k system that almost always had two NV gpu's in it

………

what will happen if AMD brings out a card without ray tracing that kills the RTX 3080 ti in non RT games
without half the chip devoted to RT and Tensor cores

I bet there would be a straight GTX card so fast to make your head spin
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2019, 01:37 PM   #5
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
since intel is on top

Nvidia is being hurt by not having a APU and the sky high RTX prices

wonder if they count intel's igpu and AMD's APU's even if not used like my 3770k system that almost always had two NV gpu's in it

………

what will happen if AMD brings out a card without ray tracing that kills the RTX 3080 ti in non RT games
without half the chip devoted to RT and Tensor cores

I bet there would be a straight GTX card so fast to make your head spin
As much as I'd like to see that happen it's looking doubtful.

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2019, 03:44 PM   #6
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
well after Ryzen I won't count them out ever

and they got the cash to do it now

they say navi 23 maybe 2.3x faster than a rx5700 xt but all just rumors for now
but the 5700 xt is a fairly small chip
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2019, 04:26 PM   #7
pax
Rage3D Spammer

https://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphi...rushing-nvidia

Quote:
AMD shipped 9.85 percent more GPUs compared to the previous quarter, Nvidia’s shipment numbers remained mostly flat, and Intel shipped 1.44 percent fewer GPUs.

The overall GPU market for the PC was up 9.25 percent compared to the previous quarter and witnessed a gain of almost 3.1 percent year-on-year.

Discrete graphics card shipments dropped by 16.6 percent compared to Q1, and a hefty 39.7 percent year-on-year, a slump that’s most likely still tied in with the implosion of the market for crypto-mining GPUs, which is seemingly continuing to make its effects felt at least to some extent as we progress through 2019.

However, while that was miserable AMD saw a big gain in market share in the discrete market.

AMD moved up to a 32.1% share of the discrete GPU market, which represents a big upward swing of nearly 10% – AMD’s share was 22.7% last quarter. Nvidia, of course, owns the rest of the market, meaning it’s currently on 67.9%.

Nvidia’s discrete market share was a colossal 81.2% last year according to Jon Peddie. So there has been quite a shift towards AMD throughout.

Competitive APUs may have helped AMD in the laptop market. As for discrete, perhaps bargain-basement graphics cards (like the RX 570, for example, which has seen some tempting deals in recent times) are helping drive some of this momentum.

What must be putting the fear of god into Nvidia is that AMD’s discrete success hasn’t been driven by Navi, as those GPUs weren’t on sale in the timeframe of Jon Peddie’s Q2 report.
Navi seems to be selling well so the next report should be interesting.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Aug 30, 2019, 04:41 PM   #8
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
I don't know. It seems like Nvidia have sort of hamstrung themselves by having so much of the die devoted the ray tracing and tensor cores.

There's no reason a larger Navi couldn't be much faster. If they'd had the money in earlier years it seems like they could have had a big version of Navi come out not long after the current midrange version. So, with more money now flowing it, I think that next gen we're going to see AMD back in competition.

That being said, it seems like AMD and Nvidia are currently a bit off-cycle with one another, so full competition might not come back until the Nvidia 4000 series.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote