Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:36 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
nrs421
Radeon Arctic Islands

nrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Default study: android users sad hicks, iphone users rich girls

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-20...=2547-1_3-0-20

Quote:
Today, Google bought Motorola Mobility and the world stopped.

While it did, I had time to open an e-mail from the folks at Hunch, a Web site that tries to take decisions out of your hands (and your head).

The e-mail contained an interesting infographic that offered some of the most graphic (if not always the most informational) illustration of the difference between Android users and those who prefer iPhones.

Firstly, and perhaps most stunningly, Android users are 86 percent more likely than iPhone users to live in the countryside. What can this possibly mean? Possibly nothing, but wait. Those who prefer the little green robot are also 80 percent more likely to have only a high school diploma. They're also 71 percent more likely to say they follow rather than lead.

Surely one of those nice illustrators in Central Park could draw a perfect picture of these people without even having one sit in front of them.

What a contrast with iPhone users. They are 67 percent more likely to have a household income of more than $200,000. They are 39 percent more likely to declare themselves high-maintenance. And they are 18 percent more likely to be women.

Please, I haven't made any of this up. This is, allegedly all based on responses from 15,818 Hunchers.

The infographic is so full of joyous nuggets that mere words can barely do it justice. Androiders are 71 percent more likely never to have traveled beyond the borders of the United States. They are more than 100 percent more likely to be PC users. And they adore "How I Met Your Mother."

iPhone users, world travelers that they are, loved "Midnight in Paris" and are 67 percent more likely to back up their laptops constantly. Oh, and they're 13 percent more likely to play a musical instrument.

I know the infographic will offer hours and endless mirth, laughter, and solemn shaking of heads all around the world. If it's begun turning yet, that is.
nrs421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:39 AM   #2
ragejg
Rage3d Staff Emeritus

ragejg is still being judged by the masses

move to mobile section please.
ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:49 AM   #3
Encyclopedia_b
Purveyor of OFN

Encyclopedia_b is still being judged by the masses

makes sense considering the price point and plan costs
Encyclopedia_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:02 AM   #4
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Many rich people are self absorbed, many Apple users are self absorbed. Not surprised.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:16 AM   #5
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

http://blog.chron.com/techblog/2011/...y-stereotypes/

One of my pet peeves is the silly way people take sides when it comes to technology, then cling to their choice as though it was some kind of religion.

I don’t have much patience for the hoary Mac vs. PC debate, but of course tech-as-religion didn’t start there. Vi vs. Emacs, anyone?

But seeing as how humans like to divide themselves into us vs. them tribes, it seems inevitable that this behavior would now extend to smartphones. iPhone vs. Android is the new Mac vs. PC.

Can’t we all get along? No, not as long as sites like Hunch are churning out blog posts like this one, which features a giant infographic looking at the demographic and attitudinal differences between iPhone and Android users. Here’s an excerpt:

**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:19 AM   #6
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

and for sh*ts and giggles...

While Apple has done an amazing job at capturing people's minds in the few markets they participate in and partially dominate, in the smartphone world Android has come out on top throughout 2011 with most impressive usage figures.

Last week we reported on a study by researcher Canalys indicating that Google’s Android platform had reached nearly 50 percent of the global smartphone market, followed by Apple and Nokia's Symbian OS. And now mobile advertising network, Jumptap, has gathered enough data to report on which U.S. states are dominated by either Google's or Apple's operating systems.

The stats are based on the 83+ million users that were served ads through Jumptap's advertising platform during June. As you can see on the map below, Android tends to dominate on the South and West regions of the U.S. Having visited San Francisco just a few weeks ago, anyone would have imagined that'd be an iOS state with a very Apple-centric feeling across town and with people flocking to buy anything the company has to sale on its stores, but apparently Android has a stronghold in California. Apple does give a battle and is the most popular mobile OS in Midwestern States and part of the Northeast.

Blackberry is the third most popular mobile operating system according to Jumptap, with 22% percent of the market. RIM's OS is widely used in New York and other seven states.

Interestingly, the data also shows which users are most likely to click on mobile adverts. Apple iPhone users are by far more willing to click on ads (0.78% click-through rate, versus 0.47% of Android users), though it's not specified if only ads and clicks served through the browser are being counted, or if ads embedded into apps are also part of the equation.

Within the Android population, Sony Ericsson owners seem to click ads more than users running LG, Samsung or Motorola phones. HTC users are by far the least likely to click on ads.
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:20 AM   #7
[GFX]TheDon
Radeon R420

[GFX]TheDon is still being judged by the masses

Guess I´m a sad hick then who also live in the burbs...(HTC Legend)
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:45 AM   #8
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

I think for the fact that Android has 50% of the market, but only 21% of the Hunch user base goes to show that anything that Hunch says should be taken with a grain of salt, actually is shows not to be accurate. /shrug
Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:45 AM   #9
sittal
Radeon Arctic Islands

sittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

i'm a hick with my EVO apparently. even though i do things iphone users didnt know could be done with a phone.

Learn to embed videos in your posts, highlight text, and even post code!
sittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 12:03 PM   #10
genci88
lololololol

genci88 is still being judged by the masses

You own an iPhone because you are either a sheep or too stupid to use something better. Sheep ("all my friends use iPhones, so I need to get an iPhone" or "the guy on the TV said it was magical so it must be" ) are the most common. The people with lower intellect are not to be ignored either ("I use an iPhone because Android is hard to use").

If you care about features, usability, and compatibility, you go with Android. If you don't care about any of that and just want a phone to call people, you go with a decent, dirt cheap, feature phone. If you are too stupid for Android, and too sheepish for feature phones, you go with iPhone.

- The hardest thing about getting a Mac is telling your parents that you're gay.

- If I had the choice between being gay and owning a Mac, I would rather be gay, because if I owned a Mac I would be both gay and own a horrible computer.

- Imagine a giant cock flying towards your mouth, and there's nothing you can do about it. And you're like "Oh man, I'm gonna have to suck this thing", and you brace yourself to suck this giant cock. But then, at the last moment, it changes trajectory and hits you in the eye. You think to yourself "Well, at least I got that out of the way", but then the giant cock rears back and stabs your eye again, and again, and again. Eventually, this giant cock is penetrating your gray matter, and you begin to lose control of your motor skills. That's when the giant cock slaps you across the cheek, causing you to fall out of your chair. Unable to move and at your most vulnerable, the giant cock finally lodges itself in your anus, where it rests comfortably for 4, maybe 5 hours. That's what using Mac OSX is like.
genci88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 12:06 PM   #11
Stingray
Banned

Stingray is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by genci88 View Post
You own an iPhone because you are either a sheep or too stupid to use something better. Sheep ("all my friends use iPhones, so I need to get an iPhone" or "the guy on the TV said it was magical so it must be" ) are the most common. The people with lower intellect are not to be ignored either ("I use an iPhone because Android is hard to use").

If you care about features, usability, and compatibility, you go with Android. If you don't care about any of that and just want a phone to call people, you go with a decent, dirt cheap, feature phone. If you are too stupid for Android, and too sheepish for feature phones, you go with iPhone.
I´m sorry, my sweeping statement detector just blew up.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 12:13 PM   #12
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

I guess this makes me a depressed and wealthy country girl.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 12:21 PM   #13
XSBagage
while the world crumbles

XSBagage can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyXSBagage can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Does apple make cheap phones?
Are there cheap phones with android?
Old Aug 16, 2011, 12:22 PM   #14
zodiak
YAWK YAWK YAWK

zodiak can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyzodiak can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyzodiak can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Louie, Walking Dead and Radiohead. We win.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 12:25 PM   #15
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

GSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird sings

I have them all, many versions of each... I must be schizophrenic (or a mobile applications developer)
Old Aug 16, 2011, 12:33 PM   #16
MaxSt
Radeon Arctic Islands

MaxSt once held a door open for a complete strangerMaxSt once held a door open for a complete strangerMaxSt once held a door open for a complete strangerMaxSt once held a door open for a complete stranger

You guys have no idea how such "... percent more likely" stats are designed to fool you.

Let's pretend that 0.01% of phone1 users are rich, and 0.03% of phone2 users are rich. Does it mean anything? Of course not. But since one number is 3x bigger, they'll say "phone2 users are 300% more likely to be rich than phone1 users!"

Which is complete BS.
MaxSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 12:45 PM   #17
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:

That's funny, I got an iPhone because it supports more of the apps I use. God, such a sheep. How dare I want to be able to look at my department's MS OneNote from anywhere, how dare I want to view my company's security system, how dare I want Exchange support that doesn't suck.

Guess I'm just a sheep....

Ignorant and arrogant statement will be ignorant and arrogant

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSBagage View Post
Does apple make cheap phones?
Are there cheap phones with android?
I paid $150 for my iphone 4 last september...
Desktop - Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Redshift | ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen 7 1700X | Hyper 212 EVO | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 512GB Intel 660p | 2TB Seagate 7200.12 | 16x LG BD-Burner | MSI Armor OC GeForce GTX 1080 | Tt ToughPower Grand RGB 750w | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
HTPC - Fractal Design Define R4 | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | Intel Core i5 3570K | Antec Kuhler 620 | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600 | 128GB Intel 330 SSD | 16x Lite-On DVD-R/RW | eVGA GeForce GTX 970 ACX 2.0+ | Asus Xonar DGX | Corsair CX750M | Westinghouse 50" 1080P | Windows 10 Pro
File Server - NZXT Classic Series Source 210 | ASRock 970A-G/3.1 | AMD FX-8320E Black Edition | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1333 | 128GB Samsung 830 | 4x2TB HGST UlstraStar | Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 | Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W | Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
I play a medic in TF2 so I think I know a little bit about diagnosing disease. Plus I watched a lot of House.
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 12:51 PM   #18
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSt View Post
You guys have no idea how such "... percent more likely" stats are designed to fool you.

Let's pretend that 0.01% of phone1 users are rich, and 0.03% of phone2 users are rich. Does it mean anything? Of course not. But since one number is 3x bigger, they'll say "phone2 users are 300% more likely to be rich than phone1 users!"

Which is complete BS.
Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 12:52 PM   #19
voodoo1
Proud OIF Veteran

voodoo1 is still being judged by the masses

I have had a droid and I current have an iPhone. I like the android's open o/s where it is not locked like the iOS. You can do alot more with the android o/s than you can with the iOS. The android has a more advanced GUI than the iOS. The iOS is very dumbed down. I currently use the iPhone due to the fact that well, I just like it. I loved my droid, but I decided to wanted to try the other side of the fence. So far I love my iPhone. I have found it a little more stable than the android o/s. This may be due to the fact that I had a first generation android o/s on the Droid and I am sure they have got most of the bugs worked out by now. It all comes down to preference. I am by far no means a wealthy person, and probably have an income lower than most people my age, and I live out in the country and I do not have a droid. So fail on the survey.
voodoo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 01:05 PM   #20
Stingray
Banned

Stingray is still being judged by the masses

These "surveys" are to be taken with a grain of salt. Most of the times they aren´t really "accurate" because math is some kind of black magic to us noobs at it.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 01:07 PM   #21
Sundance Kid V2
Rage3D Spammer

Sundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

call me hicky!
Sundance Kid V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 02:07 PM   #22
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I guess I should be using Android...
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 02:54 PM   #23
DivotMaker
Radeon Caribbean Islands

DivotMaker is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

What an absolutely idiotic statement.....
DivotMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:38 PM   #24
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Don't feed the troll, peeps.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Aug 17, 2011, 03:16 AM   #25
necropimp
666 Flavors

necropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird sings

Android users are 72% more likely to know 371 ways to kill an iphone user, 52% of them are 100% more likely to be able to
Old Aug 17, 2011, 09:13 AM   #26
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclopedia_b View Post
makes sense considering the price point and plan costs
Aren't some Android phones more expensive than iphones? In fact, you can get an iphone for $50 now. And the phone plans cost about the same too
Hidavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:03 AM   #27
globalist
Rage3D Veteran

globalist can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyglobalist can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:

Actually, many people got an iPhone because at the time they were deciding to get it, Android was just a concept on Google's drawing boards. And many of these people never looked back and gave second thoughts to android after it was released. And rightfully so.

Personally what got me hooked was this "commercial":

globalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:35 PM   #28
Encyclopedia_b
Purveyor of OFN

Encyclopedia_b is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidavi View Post
Aren't some Android phones more expensive than iphones? In fact, you can get an iphone for $50 now. And the phone plans cost about the same too
orly

that youtube video was hilarious!
Encyclopedia_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2011, 07:19 AM   #29
Warpedkevin
Old School!

Warpedkevin is still being judged by the masses

Those stats make me lol. As an Android user, 95% of that was drastically wrong. Then again saying that, Apple stats were off for like 75% off for saying I know a lot of people that use an iphone...

Hey I just made me own stats up there, just like... Oh, wait.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 08:56 AM   #30
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpedkevin View Post
Those stats make me lol. As an Android user, 95% of that was drastically wrong. Then again saying that, Apple stats were off for like 75% off for saying I know a lot of people that use an iphone...

Hey I just made me own stats up there, just like... Oh, wait.
You're not American

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"