Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old May 21, 2022, 04:26 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Iznougoud

Iznougoud is still being judged by the masses

Default RX480 (Windows 10 throws error 143 with modded BIOS)

I've got this old Asus RX480 board (ROG STRIX-RX480-8G-GAMING) that I've been using for mining ethereum in a headless Linux environment (Ubuntu server) until recently. It's been running with a modded BIOS (ever so slightly overclocked RAM @2050MHz compared to the stock setting at @2000MHz) and tighter timings, can't remember the exact settings right now).

When I pulled the card I thought I'd use it in my secondary Windows 10 build, giving it a new lease of life with a few added BIOS tweaks. Which didn't turn out as expected. At all. At first I assumed my settings was too aggressive, but soon enough I found that no matter what change I made to the BIOS, even if I underclocked it with 1MHz or made minor adjustments to the power target, Windows would throw me an error 143 at the following reboot.

If, however, I restore the card to stock settings and use software like Asus GPU Tweak II it's responsive to overclocking which, presumably, is related to those settings being added after Windows 10 is more or less done loading.

I have no idea what's going on here, anyone else?
Iznougoud is offline   Reply With Quote