Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Oct 4, 2006, 10:33 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Nakor Allthumbs
Gibson junkie

Location: Canada The eighth concentric circle of Dantes' easy bake.
Nakor Allthumbs is still being judged by the masses

Default brown widow spider moves into gulf coast

As if the West Nile-toting mosquito isn't enough to worry Mississippians, add the poisonous Latrodectus geometricus to the state's list of creepy-crawly creatures.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061003/...sc/brown_widow

Dr. Jerome Goddard, entomologist with the Mississippi Department of Health, said the poisonous Brown Widow spider that is a cousin to the well-known Black Widow, is now calling the Mississippi Gulf Coast home.

"The tropical Brown Widow spider .... has recently been captured in many locations along the Mississippi Gulf Coast," Goddard said in a news release Tuesday.

He said his office has been receiving many phone calls reporting buildings and grounds heavily infested with this type of spider.

"This spider is in the same family as the Black Widow, and is poisonous to humans," Goddard said. "I first heard of a collection of this spider at Keesler Air Force Base in Biloxi in early 2005 and figured it was probably just an isolated incident."

The Health Department said the Brown Widow can grow to 1 1/2 inches long. It is brown or grayish-brown instead of black and has an orange-to-yellow hourglass design on its underside, as opposed to the familiar red hourglass design on the Black Widow.

"That's a dead giveaway," Goddard said. "When the hourglass design is yellowish or orange, instead of deep red, you know it is a Brown Widow."

He said there is a positive note — the Brown Widow is not as aggressive as the Black Widow. And although some scientific reports claim the Brown Widow is twice as poisonous, Goddard said that was doubtful.

"One very good medical review of 45 cases of Black Widow and Brown Widow bites showed that the symptoms of Brown Widow bites were mild and tended to be restricted to the bite site and surrounding tissues (not the case with black widows)," Dr. Goddard said. "Brown Widows will not attack if they are not bothered or made to feel threatened."

Most spiders in Mississippi are unable to puncture human skin, and if they do, their venom is not generally harmful to humans. There are three main spider species in Mississippi that health officials worry about — the Black Widow, Brown Recluse and now the Brown Widow.

Goddard said he was unaware of the new species existing anywhere else in Mississippi.

"I've gone down to the Gulf Coast several times and looked for myself," he said. "They are, indeed, in many places."

He said the spider probably made its way to Mississippi from Florida through commercial imports of plants, food, building materials, or furniture.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/2...i7fmeg1_.k_g--

Pinky: I think so, but if they called them sad meals, nobody would buy them.

Folding under Pharoh
Nakor Allthumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 03:51 PM   #2
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Android1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird sings

Very interesting. I did not know that there was a Brown Widow spider in addition to a Black Widow.

Very informative. Thanks for posting that.

Last edited by Android1 : Oct 4, 2006 at 03:54 PM.
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 04:02 PM   #3
NEODARK
Radeon Sea Islands

NEODARK is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android1 View Post
Very interesting. I did not know that there was a Brown Widow spider in addition to a Black Widow.

Very informative. Thanks for posting that.

I wonder how long until Mayor Nagin complains there was NO white widows
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 4, 2006, 04:14 PM   #4
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

ugh i hate spiders
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 05:48 PM   #5
jimmt
Trumpification

jimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird sings

Interesting. Hmm I live in MIssissippi

Jim
Asus TUF B450M-Plus Gaming |Ryzen R7 2700X |16GB DDRR DRAM 3000 |MSI Radeon RX 580 8GB | 6TB NVMe/HDD |Windows 10 Pro
Laptop
Dell Inspiron 7577 | Intel i7-7700HQ |16GB DDR 4 DRAM 2400 |Nvidia 1060 6GB |3TB NVMe/SDD |Windows 10 Pro / OpenSuse
VR
HPWMR / PSVR
Consoles
Switch|WiiU|Wii|Gamecube|New 3DS XL|DS|GBA|N64|SNES|NES|XBOX|XBOX360|XBONEX|PS1|PS2|PS3|PS4|Vita|PSP|DreamCast|Genesis
Classical Liberalism: A political ideology and a branch of liberalism which advocates civil liberties, private property, and political freedom with representative democracy under the rule of law. Strong emphasizes economic freedom and the individual over the collective.
jimmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 08:44 PM   #6
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

OzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English Channel

We have redbacks and whitebacks here in Australia...
OzzieBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 08:46 PM   #7
squid
Cute

squid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieBloke View Post
We have redbacks and whitebacks here in Australia...
black widows as well.
we've got lots of friendly bugs in aus
squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 08:57 PM   #8
eatyour1337ies
Orgy-porgy gives release

eatyour1337ies is still being judged by the masses

Doesn't surprise me there's a brown widow. I'm just waiting for an albino widow Last summer when I was rolling the barrels to the street at dusk, I saw what appeard from standing position a fairly grown black widow running across the driveway. I looked closer and its abdomen had a funny white stripe that looked like a tiny tiretrack across the top of it and I used a leaf to flip it over and it actually had a nice fat red hourglass.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 09:12 PM   #9
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jokerzwild is still being judged by the masses

The south will rise again! Woo Hoo! This time we'll enlist armies of brown and black widows as well as Katrina victims to defeat the north led by the evil George Bush!

Lol j/k! I don't live down here by choice.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 09:20 PM   #10
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

OzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
black widows as well.
we've got lots of friendly bugs in aus
I wish I could find the Scared Weird Little Guys song about dangerous Australian animals. I can only remember the first line of, "Red Back, Funnel Web, Blue ringed octopus..."
OzzieBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 12:09 AM   #11
Villainess
Haaaaaaiiii

Villainess kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshVillainess kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshVillainess kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshVillainess kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshVillainess kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshVillainess kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshVillainess kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshVillainess kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshVillainess kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshVillainess kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieBloke View Post
I wish I could find the Scared Weird Little Guys song about dangerous Australian animals. I can only remember the first line of, "Red Back, Funnel Web, Blue ringed octopus..."

Redback, Funnel-Web, Blue-ringed octopus
Taipan, Tigersnake and a Box jellyfish
Stonefish and the poison thing that lives in a shell
That spikes you when you pick it up

Come to Australia
You might accidentally get killed

Your life's constantly under threat
Have you been bitten yet?
You've only got three minutes left
Before a massive coronary breakdown

Redback, Funnel-Web, Blue-ringed octopus
Tiapan, Tigersnake and a Box jellyfish
Big shark just waiting for you to go swimming
At Bondi Beach

Come to Australia
You might accidentally get killed
Your blood is bound to be spilled
With fear your pants will be filled
Because you might accidentally get killed
Old Oct 5, 2006, 01:59 PM   #12
jimmyboy
Walk it off!

jimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Ugh. That's what shotguns and flamethrowers were invented for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatyour1337ies View Post
Doesn't surprise me there's a brown widow. I'm just waiting for an albino widow Last summer when I was rolling the barrels to the street at dusk, I saw what appeard from standing position a fairly grown black widow running across the driveway. I looked closer and its abdomen had a funny white stripe that looked like a tiny tiretrack across the top of it and I used a leaf to flip it over and it actually had a nice fat red hourglass.
Sounds like an immature black widow. There are a lot of black widows where I come from. I have a visceral disgust for these little hell-spawn so I avoid them as much as possible, but I do remember seeing lighter-colored, smaller widows with non-uniform coloration.

Or it's actually a new breed of widows that are immune to everything but Kryptonite. Did you happen to notice a little "S" in the middle of that hourglass...?

Last edited by jimmyboy : Oct 5, 2006 at 02:02 PM.
jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 02:06 PM   #13
Uber_Tiny
WTF DID I STEP IN

Uber_Tiny is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
ugh i hate spiders
You and me both man.

Just glad there wasn't pics...cause reading that gave me chills....yuk yuk yuk!!
Uber_Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 02:54 PM   #14
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Android1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird sings

I like spiders.
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 02:54 PM   #15
acidosmosis
Mispacio Rodriguez

acidosmosis is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber_Tiny View Post
Just glad there wasn't pics...cause reading that gave me chills....yuk yuk yuk!!

Problem solved.