Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Nov 17, 2017, 03:57 PM   #511
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
badsykes
Radeon Caribbean Islands

badsykes can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultybadsykes can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultybadsykes can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
Indeed, just like I've been for the last 20 years, and with luck it won't stop anytime soon since we have the tech to make 5K panel's ( 4x more demanding than 2560*1440 ), and even 8k panels which are 4x more demanding than 4K, so assuming I hit 100 Fps at 4K between both Vega's, I won't do better than 25 Fps at 8k using two GPU's packing 12.5 billion transistors and 26 Teraflops of shading power.

In short, we've got a hell of a long way to go to photo realism running realtime at 60+ Fps

When the dial-up connection was dawning 20 years ago ...
Old Nov 18, 2017, 04:29 PM   #512
shadow001
Captain thread derail....

shadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete stranger

The cards are now installed and I connected them to the water loop and bled the air out, but still will be running a leak test overnight to make sure everything is sealed up nicely......Tomorrow comes the easy part with the install of the latest drivers and the fun part ( hopefully.... ), running games and recording performance differences.

I've been re-installing as many games as I have storage space available for and are demanding to run at 4K / maxed quality settings for any GPU on the market right now.
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM   #513
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Northern Islands

NWR_Midnight can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyNWR_Midnight can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyNWR_Midnight can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
The cards are now installed and I connected them to the water loop and bled the air out, but still will be running a leak test overnight to make sure everything is sealed up nicely......Tomorrow comes the easy part with the install of the latest drivers and the fun part ( hopefully.... ), running games and recording performance differences.

I've been re-installing as many games as I have storage space available for and are demanding to run at 4K / maxed quality settings for any GPU on the market right now.
You know, you do need to share your findings with us.
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Yesterday, 07:09 PM   #514
shadow001

shadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWR_Midnight View Post
You know, you do need to share your findings with us.

Incoming.....First off, both cards are working fine and there's no DOA to worry about, though the driver install took a while and it's probably not used to just having 2 cards in the system rather than the usual 4.....

But, my post wouldn't be anything without pictures with both cards installed.....System still weighs like a mother, but less so that before ( still not taking it to a LAN just the same... ), and thus a few new pictures incoming:

First off:

Looks rather neat in the overall scheme of things, but i am biased since i'm not expected to say anything less anyhow.....

So much free space with the 2 cards removed, and i can access that M2 slot to put in another SSD once they get even larger, or something entirely different on the PCI-e slots......Can't have all those PCI-e lanes go to waste after all...

Yes, the back plates on each card are fairly visible, even the lower one so it wasn't a bad idea to go thru the extra fitting work to get it in.

Performance numbers will be incoming over the week as time allows though, so some extra waiting will be required.....
Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM   #515
shadow001

As a teaser though, i ran assassins creed origins and i don't think the profile is engaging but even then, the frame rate at 4K has more than doubled and i haven't even bothered with overclocking yet, so it's hitting the expected performance level i demand when i change hardware.....Double or nothing basically.

Ghost recon wildlands is the reverse though, Crossfire does engage and at 4K with all settings on ultra and in the built in benchmark, both cards are used and the average performance is 47 Fps.....I used to hit just a bit over 20 Fps with a pair of 290X's and a pair of GTX1080 TI's average 53 Fps in the same benchmark at the same settings and resolutions, showing just how demanding this benchmark really is but again, the performance has more than doubled in these 2 examples.

Temperature wise, both cards haven't exceeded 40*C under load, with the latter at 4k hovering in the 70 to 100% range for both cards......One might think it's surprisingly low but the cooling was built to handle 4 cards and not just 2, even if they are power hungry.
Old Yesterday, 09:30 PM   #516
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Flyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFlyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Bout time. :-p Looks great. Did you have to cut the backplate?
Old Yesterday, 10:18 PM   #517
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyordie View Post
Bout time. :-p Looks great. Did you have to cut the backplate?

A little bit on the upper one but more on the lower one since there were clearance issues with the water connection block between both cards...Nothing major, but enough to keep me busy another 15 minutes with a dremel....

Even without tweaking, I set the power plan to turbo mode and the cards remain at 1700 ~1725 Mhz the entire time under load ( 70 to 100% load, but varies constantly on both cards ) and both remain at 45*C even after 2 hours of solid gaming)...
Old Yesterday, 11:41 PM   #518
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:34 AM   #519
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post

Mine have been at 55*C at peak CPU levels, but also average out in the high 40's with all the cores "overclocking" themselves to 3.7 Ghz on their own but again, I went suitably overkill on the CPU cooling with a pair of triple thick 240 mm radiators and 6 fans, just for the CPU alone.....They're at the bottom of the case, ahead of both power supplies and one of radiators can partially be seen in the third picture, along with the Noctua's set to exhaust the air out of the case.

A proper test will be in 6 months time in the middle of a summer heat wave.....Then i'll know how high temps can get but one thing I do know, I have a lot of wiggle room......