Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Oct 23, 2017, 02:48 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshRazeus kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshRazeus kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshRazeus kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshRazeus kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshRazeus kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshRazeus kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshRazeus kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshRazeus kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshRazeus kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Default Apparently The Pixel 2 XL is a disaster

Grainy, dull, blue tinted screens:

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...lg-oled-screen

I have been using the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL for nearly a week now, and in that time I’ve immersed myself in the goodness that is Android 8.0, Google’s pleasantly updated design, and the unprecedented and unequaled Pixel camera. I’m a satisfied Android user, and I know for a fact (because I’ve reviewed every other major flagship out there) that no other Android device can bring me as close to mobile nirvana and contentment as these new Pixels do. But for the majority of this week, I’ve opted to use the smaller Pixel 2, owing to just how poor the Pixel 2 XL’s screen is.

screen burn in issue:

https://www.androidcentral.com/googl...xl-screen-burn

...we have something new to talk about now: screen burn-in. It's something people with OLED screens worry about (to varying degrees) and something people who prefer LCDs like to poke fun about. But one of our Pixel 2 XL review units, in use for about a week, is already seeing some pretty crazy levels of burn-in.

Viewing a grey image on the screen, you get a clear look at where the navigation bar has started to settle in on the display. You also interestingly see the portions of pixels where the back, home, and recents buttons go — those don't seem to be burned in themselves (displaying white instead of black), but the outlines clearly show where they are compared to the black portion that's burned in. Or that may be some optical trickery and the buttons are burned in. We're just not sure what we're seeing here.

For a $900 phone, you should have these issues with a screen.

My life is dope and I do dope sht.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2017, 03:59 PM   #2
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

Yeah I cancelled my order. Sticking with Pixel 1 XL
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2017, 06:15 PM   #3
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Subscriber

Bummer. I was going to get a 2XL as my work phone. Maybe I'll pick up a Note 8 instead. Loving my iPhone 8+ for personal use. but my company will only pay for an Android variant for work use.
“The larger the mob, the harder the test. In small areas, before small electorates, a first-rate man occasionally fights his way through, carrying even the mob with him by force of his personality. But when the field is nationwide, and the fight must be waged chiefly at second and third hand, and the force of personality cannot so readily make itself felt, then all the odds are on the man who is, intrinsically, the most devious and mediocre — the man who can most easily adeptly disperse the notion that his mind is a virtual vacuum. The Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men. As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” — H. L. Mencken, 1920
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 23, 2017, 06:44 PM   #4
Elysian
No sir, I don't like it.

Elysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
Bummer. I was going to get a 2XL as my work phone. Maybe I'll pick up a Note 8 instead. Loving my iPhone 8+ for personal use. but my company will only pay for an Android variant for work use.
Essential Phone?
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2017, 06:45 PM   #5
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Essential Phone?
I'll look into that one.
“The larger the mob, the harder the test. In small areas, before small electorates, a first-rate man occasionally fights his way through, carrying even the mob with him by force of his personality. But when the field is nationwide, and the fight must be waged chiefly at second and third hand, and the force of personality cannot so readily make itself felt, then all the odds are on the man who is, intrinsically, the most devious and mediocre — the man who can most easily adeptly disperse the notion that his mind is a virtual vacuum. The Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men. As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” — H. L. Mencken, 1920
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2017, 07:47 PM   #6
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Those burn ins sound like recall worthy problems. But apparently the burn in is only temporary?
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2017, 09:42 PM   #7
WarlorD721
Jizzlobber

WarlorD721 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
I'll look into that one.
The price just dropped $200 yesterday.. A great phone for $499.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 02:38 AM   #8
Silent-Runner
Céad míle fáilte

Silent-Runner has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSilent-Runner has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSilent-Runner has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSilent-Runner has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSilent-Runner has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSilent-Runner has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSilent-Runner has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSilent-Runner has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSilent-Runner has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSilent-Runner has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSilent-Runner has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
might take a look at the Mate10 too.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Cuius Testiculos Habes, Habeas Cardia Et Cerebellum " Omnian Quisition

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2017, 09:39 AM   #9
GTwannabe
Rage3D Veteran

GTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Glad I went with the Pixel 2.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:00 AM   #10
somewon
Radeon R700

somewon is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Doesn't get better than a Note 8, I honestly wouldn't even consider any other Android phone or phone period besides the Note8.

As for the 2XL issues, it doesn't surprise me.
I owned an LG G5 and LG G6, and both of their displays had burn-in issues as well.
somewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:17 AM   #11
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshRazeus kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshRazeus kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshRazeus kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshRazeus kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshRazeus kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshRazeus kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshRazeus kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshRazeus kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshRazeus kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Google says they plan on software updates to fix burn-in issues and crackling sounds.

Does nothing for blue shift and grainy screens though.

They will give you a 2 year warranty to make up for this fiasco.

I actually checked the price of the XL and damn, I didn't know they cost that much. For that price, this is unacceptable.

I hear bad things about LG screens. I know that Apple is working with them to produce OLED screens for next year or so. All I know is that if my iPhone had an LG screen, it would be returned immediately. No wonder Apple didn't use them this year and had to go with only Samsung.

Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:29 AM   #12
GTwannabe
Rage3D Veteran

GTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Google should have fired LG permanently after the Nexus 5X bootloop fiasco or at least delayed the "Made by Google" campaign until HTC could handle production of both Pixels.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 03:20 PM   #13
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

Crazy thing is that the LG OLED TV's are fantastic screens.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2017, 08:25 PM   #14
GTwannabe
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Crazy thing is that the LG OLED TV's are fantastic screens.
LG OLED TV's don't have a big slab of 2.5D Gorilla glass over the display.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 09:34 PM   #15
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

|MaguS| doesn't need no stinkin' badges|MaguS| doesn't need no stinkin' badges|MaguS| doesn't need no stinkin' badges|MaguS| doesn't need no stinkin' badges|MaguS| doesn't need no stinkin' badges|MaguS| doesn't need no stinkin' badges|MaguS| doesn't need no stinkin' badges|MaguS| doesn't need no stinkin' badges|MaguS| doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
Google should have fired LG permanently after the Nexus 5X bootloop fiasco or at least delayed the "Made by Google" campaign until HTC could handle production of both Pixels.
Love my LG V30. Its a great device and I am glad I chose it over the Pixel 2 XL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewon View Post
I owned an LG G5 and LG G6, and both of their displays had burn-in issues as well.
Both those devices use IPS LCD so that is extremely rare.

Most likely your PC monitor is using LG Panel, They make majority of the world's LCD Panels. Even Samsung uses them for their TVs.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 01:30 PM   #16
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Phone is now suffering from poor audio quality.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/30/...ording-quality

i think Google flatout threw this thing together.

Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:31 PM   #17
chigger_ns
Do the Xmas Cart-moon

chigger_ns can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultychigger_ns can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Old Nov 6, 2017, 09:11 AM   #18
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by chigger_ns View Post
There's total lack of quality control with these phones. I would totally skip it, or at least wait a couple of months for Google to get its act together.

Shipping a phone without an OS is total BS.

Old Nov 10, 2017, 07:06 AM   #19
The Luggage
Life is Good

The Luggage knows why the caged bird singsThe Luggage knows why the caged bird singsThe Luggage knows why the caged bird singsThe Luggage knows why the caged bird singsThe Luggage knows why the caged bird sings

Replaced my beat up Nexus 6P with a Pixel 2 XL. Haven't had any problems, other than a few apps that wouldn't run.
The Luggage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2017, 08:56 AM   #20
GTwannabe
Rage3D Veteran

Google pushed an update with new screen options. Boosted colors is now default. There's also a Saturated mode for those who want the blown out Samsung look.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:00 AM   #21
Elysian
No sir, I don't like it.

Elysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badgesElysian doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
Google pushed an update with new screen options. Boosted colors is now default. There's also a Saturated mode for those who want the blown out Samsung look.
People actually want that crap?
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2017, 11:11 AM   #22
GTwannabe
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
People actually want that crap?
It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!
Old Nov 13, 2017, 04:55 PM   #23
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

This phone can't catch a break. Good grief.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/11...es-fix-coming/

Quote:
Some Pixel 2 XL touchscreens are unresponsive near the edges, but a fix is coming

Old Nov 14, 2017, 09:19 AM   #24
GTwannabe
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
This phone can't catch a break. Good grief.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/11...es-fix-coming/
Ton of bugs and quality control issues, even for LG. HTC's Pixel 2 is still tits though.