Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Oct 30, 2017, 04:03 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky doesn't need no stinkin' badgesHapatingjaky doesn't need no stinkin' badgesHapatingjaky doesn't need no stinkin' badgesHapatingjaky doesn't need no stinkin' badgesHapatingjaky doesn't need no stinkin' badgesHapatingjaky doesn't need no stinkin' badgesHapatingjaky doesn't need no stinkin' badgesHapatingjaky doesn't need no stinkin' badgesHapatingjaky doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllexxisF1 View Post
I'm still rocking my i7 2600K and now that I have a Rift I am considering an upgrade.

I have a GTX970 and where should the money go? Buy a 1080ti or a new proc/mobo/mem combo?

The main game I want to focus on is DCS World 2 and VR in general.

As much as I wanted to upgrade these past almost seven years, I have found no reason too. Graphics cards were always enough.

Any help would be appreciated.
As long as you are 4.8GHz+ on the 2600K a 1080ti will be fine.
Intel Core i3 8350K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Hero, GSkill Trident-Z 32GB DDR4 3866MHz CAS18, Asus Strix 1080Ti OC, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 960 Pro 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, Corsair 900D, Corsair K70 RGB, Logitech G900, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2017, 04:11 PM   #32
AllexxisF1
Resident Liberal.

AllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
As long as you are 4.8GHz+ on the 2600K a 1080ti will be fine.
So I should try to OC the bastard to 4.8Ghz (now wondering if I could buy a watercooler that would fit that socket) and then pick up a 1080ti.

TBH, it would piss the hell out of me to buy a new proc, mobo and memory and see little to no increase in FPS. I guess for at least one more cycle, it would be best to go with a faster graphics card.
AllexxisF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2017, 04:51 PM   #33
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky doesn't need no stinkin' badgesHapatingjaky doesn't need no stinkin' badgesHapatingjaky doesn't need no stinkin' badgesHapatingjaky doesn't need no stinkin' badgesHapatingjaky doesn't need no stinkin' badgesHapatingjaky doesn't need no stinkin' badgesHapatingjaky doesn't need no stinkin' badgesHapatingjaky doesn't need no stinkin' badgesHapatingjaky doesn't need no stinkin' badges

1920x1200 on a 2600K running at stock? You are severely CPU bottlnecked unless you are pushing the 4.8GHz on Sandy Bridge.
Intel Core i3 8350K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Hero, GSkill Trident-Z 32GB DDR4 3866MHz CAS18, Asus Strix 1080Ti OC, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 960 Pro 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, Corsair 900D, Corsair K70 RGB, Logitech G900, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 30, 2017, 05:41 PM   #34
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
I'm still rocking my i7 2600K and now that I have a Rift I am considering an upgrade.

I have a GTX970 and where should the money go? Buy a 1080ti or a new proc/mobo/mem combo?

The main game I want to focus on is DCS World 2 and VR in general.

As much as I wanted to upgrade these past almost seven years, I have found no reason too. Graphics cards were always enough.

Any help would be appreciated.
For VR, a new GPU will make a big difference. Nvidia put in a bunch of optimizations for VR in the 10xx series. Basically, in VR, a 1060 can be as good as a 980 Ti.

I can't speak for how much of a bottleneck the 2600k would be, but I think the 970 is not going to be that great for VR.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 06:02 PM   #35
AllexxisF1
Resident Liberal.

AllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviphysics View Post
For VR, a new GPU will make a big difference. Nvidia put in a bunch of optimizations for VR in the 10xx series. Basically, in VR, a 1060 can be as good as a 980 Ti.

I can't speak for how much of a bottleneck the 2600k would be, but I think the 970 is not going to be that great for VR.
I can run most games smoothly without issue, so now I'm wondering if getting the 1080ti is a smart choice.

The main title I would like a few more frames per second is DCS World 2. Pretty sure the 1080ti would remedy that.
AllexxisF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2017, 08:56 PM   #36
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Flyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFlyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

You would see a MAJOR uplift with more RAM and a GPU vs CPU unless you plan on going to a 7700K or something to that effect.

I am just slightly above you in CPU power and I seen a MAJOR uplift just going to the RX Vega. My bottleneck is DRAM now. (I need 16GB, lol)
Old Oct 31, 2017, 12:41 AM   #37
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
I can run most games smoothly without issue, so now I'm wondering if getting the 1080ti is a smart choice.

The main title I would like a few more frames per second is DCS World 2. Pretty sure the 1080ti would remedy that.
If you can wait, no harm in waiting for a gtx 2080 (or whatever they call their next gen cars)