Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Nov 9, 2017, 12:18 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Skynet
Banned

Skynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Amazing how pivotal AMD has become for the industry given how small they are.
Skynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2017, 12:22 PM   #32
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

If the rumor of rtg going to intel and amd cpus to nvidia which would you prefer?

An AMD/Nvidia rig or an Intel Radeon rig?

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.2.2, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 21.2.2. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2017, 12:38 PM   #33
Skynet
Banned

Skynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

AMD/Nvidia.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 9, 2017, 01:35 PM   #34
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Intel is on notice:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/09/amd-...hics-head.html

Quote:
AMD sent the following statement when asked for comment on Intel's new hire:

"We have a very strong graphics team and will continue our focus on building great products. We also have industry-leading graphics IP and, if necessary, will vigorously defend it."

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.2.2, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 21.2.2. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Nov 9, 2017, 05:30 PM   #35
Skynet
Banned

Lisa Su might be setting a trap.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:11 PM   #36
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Was kinda hoping it wouldnt go this route. That somehow this was all a part of intel paying amd for ip license. That statement by AMD shows they got blindsided by Raja's move to intel.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Nov 9, 2017, 11:01 PM   #37
Skynet
Banned

I bet Raja was planning this for awhile.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 11:24 PM   #38
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Def but so has all the amd and intel business... I wonder if this will kibosh some of that now.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Nov 10, 2017, 01:46 AM   #39
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I'm still not a believer of the Church of Raja. He was at AMD for years. I don't care whether Vega was started before he got there or not, he still didn't manage to steer it in a good direction.

I'm not honestly convinced he's a big loss, nor that he'll be able to work miracles at Intel. But maybe I'm wrong.

Honestly ATi GPUs going to Intel and AMD CPUs to Nvidia might create a better competitive landscape. I'd probably be in the AMD/Nvidia camp though. Intel is a much bigger company.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2017, 08:42 AM   #40
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Console King

He'll make a good addition to the intel graphics team IMHO.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:06 AM   #41
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Has AMD named a replacement yet? I bet they sell RTG or it focuses on integrated only.
GSGRUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2017, 11:51 AM   #42
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I'm still not a believer of the Church of Raja. He was at AMD for years. I don't care whether Vega was started before he got there or not, he still didn't manage to steer it in a good direction.

I'm not honestly convinced he's a big loss, nor that he'll be able to work miracles at Intel. But maybe I'm wrong.

Honestly ATi GPUs going to Intel and AMD CPUs to Nvidia might create a better competitive landscape. I'd probably be in the AMD/Nvidia camp though. Intel is a much bigger company.
In Raja's defence I think he had too small r&d budgets to work with... and maybe he thought they would stay small while the cpu division got the lions share of the new money coming in.

I also hope we arent stuck choosing between just the 2 entities if this happens. but can keep on using other companies gpus with anothers cpus. Id still grab a ryzen cpu if it gave me more cores for the money and a radeon gpu for price perf in my budget range.

One article talked about how we will soon buy Processing Units mainly meant for ai/ml for our gaming needs/wants. Instead of GPUs for gaming that are also used for ai. Basically telling us that gaming will become a subset for the gpu business instead of the main reason.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Nov 10, 2017, 02:44 PM   #43
Skynet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
In Raja's defence I think he had too small r&d budgets to work with...
Then he is a bad manager you work as effectively as possible within your budget. Maybe Su pushed him to do too much, but by the looks it was Raja that shot for the moon and things had to be his way or see ya.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:14 PM   #44
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Interesting video on the whole saga.

Basically Raja left as Vega and Navi were done just as Keller was done with his project. Vega is starting to show its fine wine and Navi will beat nvidia to market with multi chip solution which both vendors are moving to.

Question remains whether they will use Infinity Fabric for navi as talked about or amd got a license for the new intel embed.

My take is Vega stayed pricey for so long not because of coin mining but pro sales and maybe yields. But they are selling just about every one they make so amd got back in the game even if pc game share of ~20% discrete didnt change much.

www.realitysandwich.com