Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Jul 2, 2012, 09:00 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
taz291819
Radeon Northern Islands

taz291819 is still being judged by the masses

Default Apple: 2 Samsung: 0

I'm not sure how the judge agreed with Apple on this one. Voice search has been a part of the Android OS for quite some time, while Siri has only been out for less than a year:

http://www.totaltele.com/view.aspx?ID=474714

And wouldn't that be infringement against Google, not Samsung?
Old Jul 2, 2012, 09:02 PM   #2
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

Stupid trolling Apple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 09:32 PM   #3
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post
I'm not sure how the judge agreed with Apple on this one. Voice search has been a part of the Android OS for quite some time, while Siri has only been out for less than a year:

http://www.totaltele.com/view.aspx?ID=474714

And wouldn't that be infringement against Google, not Samsung?
I am not sure if Samsung has devised their own version of the voice search.

But other than that I completely agree with you. There are a number of products out there that have been doing what Siri does for a while, in particular voice search. But beyond that, I think we will probably need to read up on the unified search aspect. I am pretty sure Google has been doing unified search longer than anyone and there may well be others who have been doing it even longer.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 2, 2012, 09:34 PM   #4
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Guys apple INVENTED voice detection with Siri. everyone else just went to the future in time machines and copied Apple, then came back and made their own so called voice stuff.

Its totally justified.....
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 09:44 PM   #5
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post

But other than that I completely agree with you. There are a number of products out there that have been doing what Siri does for a while, in particular voice search. But beyond that, I think we will probably need to read up on the unified search aspect. I am pretty sure Google has been doing unified search longer than anyone and there may well be others who have been doing it even longer.
Samsung has, but not on the Nexus, only on Touchwiz devices like the GS2 and 3. The Nexus being a pure Google device has pure Google voice search...
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 09:50 PM   #6
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Samsung has, but not on the Nexus, only on Touchwiz devices like the GS2 and 3. The Nexus being a pure Google device has pure Google voice search...
Reading the article, it seems like the Google Voice Search is the culprit.

Interesting.

-edit-

And it seems to be related to the indexing?

Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 09:51 PM   #7
taz291819
Radeon Northern Islands

taz291819 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Then this really doesn't make sense on the judge's part. If the infringement is due to the OS, shouldn't that be against Google, not Samsung?

If Microsoft infringed on a patent, that wouldn't mean every PC manufacturer has to quit selling their product.

This is really starting to go overboard (yeah, I know, it went overboard a long time ago).
Old Jul 2, 2012, 10:09 PM   #8
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Apple feels that competing products infringe unfairly on their patents. Not their ideas or their innovations, but on their patents. You see, it isn't about innovating or providing the customer with a magical experience, Apple understands that their best innovative years may already be behind them. What's important was their maximizing of opportunities during those years when they pursued aggressively patent acquisitions that would enable them to put their boot on their competitor's throats. That way when innovation begins to wane, they can refocus their efforts to the courts and protect their market share there.

Basically what Microsoft did not do to Apple during the 90's and early 2000's that enabled Apple to climb back. They learned from Microsoft's mistake.

Oh and punting this thread over into Smartphones.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2012, 10:04 AM   #9
Rakeesh
Rustacean

Rakeesh is still being judged by the masses

That's pretty stupid, android has had voice search since early 2010.
Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2012, 10:21 AM   #10
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siri_(s...PA_involvement
Quote:
With Siri, Apple is using the results of more than four years of research funded by DARPA via SRI International's Artificial Intelligence Center through the Personalized Assistant that Learns Program and Cognitive Agent that Learns and Organizes Program CALO.
This includes the combined work from research teams from Carnegie Mellon University, the University of Massachusetts Amherst, the University of Rochester, the Institute for Human and Machine Cognition, Oregon State University, the University of Southern California, and Stanford University. This technology has come a long way with dialog and natural language understanding, machine learning, evidential and probabilistic reasoning, ontology and knowledge representation, planning, reasoning and service delegation.[10]
So the department of defense (our tax dollars) funded Siri then Apple sues everyone over it?
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2012, 11:13 AM   #11
BackToPC
Banned

BackToPC is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post

So the department of defense (our tax dollars) funded Siri then Apple sues everyone over it?
When they bought Siri, they bought all of its history too.

Personally I believe that DARPA-funded projects should be released patent-free in the public domain.

But that's more of a defense budget issue than an Apple issue. Apple is quite the douche nozzle though.

Last edited by BackToPC : Jul 3, 2012 at 11:16 AM.
BackToPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2012, 10:08 PM   #12
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

luckily this kind of apple abuse can only be done in the US or EURO area

we have yet to seen any banned samsung device by apple in asia.
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2012, 12:24 PM   #13
Blasphemer
Radeon Northern Islands

Blasphemer is still being judged by the masses

Just wait till Apple "invent" widgets in the iPhone 5.
Blasphemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 10:23 AM   #14
jolle
Hipster Dufus

jolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Atleast they lost in britain against HTC with their supposed patent on "Slide to unlock".
Which a swedish company, NeoNode, already had a patent on.
They also concluded that "changing alphabet", or "multitouch" werent viable patents, which IMO is sensible.

And the forth one, patent on a method to browse a image library, was valid but HTC didnt break it.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 10:41 AM   #15
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Next they're going to try and lay claim to a touchscreen dialpad
Hidavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2012, 11:37 AM   #16
lmchv
Planet Express

lmchv can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultylmchv can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

My Nokia N97 has had a slide to unlock for the past 3 years..., it's kind of stupid really...

I used to avoid Apple products because they were completely overpriced, now there's another reason not to buy one.
BEHEMOTH (Desktop): Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Intel Core i9 9900K @5.0Ghz + Asus ROG Ryuo 240 | Corsair Ballistic 32GB DDR4-3000 | Dell 2715Q 27" 4K | XFX Radeon VII 16GB | CoolerMaster Cosmos C700P + Asus ROG Thor 1200W Platinum | Sound Blaster Z + Logitech Z-5500 + Logitech G635 | HyperX Alloy Elite RGB CherryMX Red + Logitech G700S + Gigabyte Krypton | Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD 512GB + 2 x Samsung 850 Pro SSD 512GB RAID0 + 2 x Western Digital Black 1TB RAID0 | LG BD-RE | Windows 10 Pro 64bits

Charquito (Desktop): Asus Sabertooth X99 | Intel Core i7 5930K @4.7Ghz + Corsair Hydro H110 | Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4-2400 | Dell U2713HM 27" | Asus ROG Strix Geforce GTX1080| Cooler Master Cosmos 2 + Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W | Microsoft Reclusa + Logitech MX Performance | Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD + Seagate 500GB | Sony BD-ROM | Windows 10 Pro 64bits

Bloodzone.net Moderator
lmchv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2012, 03:40 AM   #17
Apocalypsee
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Apocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Although that's just plain stupid from a stupid company who stole people money, it's strictly business. Yeah apple sue Samsung, but all those money will get back to them because let's face it apple stuff are mostly made of Samsung components.
If 3 fans left the station at 10:30am cooling at a temp of 63c and one fan was derailed by a stray sata cable on the track, how long would it take all 3 fans to get on Seyiji's last nerve?

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(c) Hey there muscly arms, why the long face?
(d) Must use fire.
Apocalypsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:58 PM   #18
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/09/u...e=home_oneline

UK Judge says Galaxy Tab 'not as cool' as iPad, awards Samsung win in design suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:30 PM   #19
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/09/u...e=home_oneline

UK Judge says Galaxy Tab 'not as cool' as iPad, awards Samsung win in design suit
Hidavi is offline   Reply With Quote