Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

View Poll Results: Which phone
HTC Touch Pro 9 56.25%
BlackBerry Tour 6 37.50%
BlackBerry Curve 8350i 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:26 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Default New phone time -- what to get?

Since I was terminated from my job on Friday, I am losing my company phone.

So now I have to pick a new phone, because my Mogul has reached the end of the line (runs slow as hell, even after fresh OS Flash, its beat to ****, and eats through batteries).

So here are my options

HTC Touch Pro - $100 w/no contract extension
BlackBerry Tour - $150 w/2yr contract extension
BlackBerry Curve 8350i - $100 w/2yr contract extension

I'm leaning towards the 8350i so I can still have the Direct Connect feature, but the Touch Pro has a lot more potential but is the biggest phone out of the bunch. The tour is small and has Sprint 3G service unlike the the 8350i.

So it boils down to:

HTC Touch Pro - Full QWERTY keyboard, nice big touch screen, WinMo, 3G, Big footprint
BlackBerry Tour - Sleek, 3G Speed
BlackBerry Curve 8350i - Sleek, Direct Connect, New BB OS
Desktop - Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Redshift | ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen 7 1700X | Hyper 212 EVO | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 512GB Intel 660p | 2TB Seagate 7200.12 | 16x LG BD-Burner | MSI Armor OC GeForce GTX 1080 | Tt ToughPower Grand RGB 750w | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
HTPC - Fractal Design Define R4 | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | Intel Core i5 3570K | Antec Kuhler 620 | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600 | 128GB Intel 330 SSD | 16x Lite-On DVD-R/RW | eVGA GeForce GTX 970 ACX 2.0+ | Asus Xonar DGX | Corsair CX750M | Westinghouse 50" 1080P | Windows 10 Pro
File Server - NZXT Classic Series Source 210 | ASRock 970A-G/3.1 | AMD FX-8320E Black Edition | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1333 | 128GB Samsung 830 | 4x2TB HGST UlstraStar | Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 | Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W | Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
I play a medic in TF2 so I think I know a little bit about diagnosing disease. Plus I watched a lot of House.
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 12:26 AM   #2
DorXtar
SMILE!

DorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

What the heck man! You're totally leaving us out of the loop! You were going for an interview on Friday... and before that you warned us that you might go postal... then fast-forward to today that you got fired!?!?!?

SPLAIN!
2 Peter 3:3) For YOU know this first, that in the last days there will come ridiculers with their ridicule, proceeding according to their own desires 4) and saying: “Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep [in death], all things are continuing exactly as from creation’s beginning.” 5) For, according to their wish, this fact escapes their notice [...]

8) However, let this one fact not be escaping YOUR notice, beloved ones, that one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. 9) Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with YOU because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.
Like 12Bass says, critical thinking and the scientific method are probably the best tools we have to avoid it. (bias)

However, this method relies on repeatable, falsifiable hypotheses and theories. Only an extremely small spectrum of time and space can be rendered into these, or at least a good approximation of such.

-RFtinkerer

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Daniel J. Boorstin
DorXtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 12:38 AM   #3
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorXtar View Post
What the heck man! You're totally leaving us out of the loop! You were going for an interview on Friday... and before that you warned us that you might go postal... then fast-forward to today that you got fired!?!?!?

SPLAIN!
My former employer was big on "ass kissing gets you ahead". I stopped kissing ass after the 2nd time they ****ed with my hours/paycheck. Apparently they didn't like that and decided to get rid of me. My direct supervisor is not happy at all; i'm friends with his son and his son said he's extremely upset about it.

I'm not upset about it, because the workplace projected too much negativity onto my life and it wasn't worth it.

As far as the interview, I think I nailed it. The CIO and IT Manager were gushing over my resume. I should find out tomorrow or wednesday if I got the job or not.
Desktop - Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Redshift | ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen 7 1700X | Hyper 212 EVO | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 512GB Intel 660p | 2TB Seagate 7200.12 | 16x LG BD-Burner | MSI Armor OC GeForce GTX 1080 | Tt ToughPower Grand RGB 750w | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
HTPC - Fractal Design Define R4 | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | Intel Core i5 3570K | Antec Kuhler 620 | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600 | 128GB Intel 330 SSD | 16x Lite-On DVD-R/RW | eVGA GeForce GTX 970 ACX 2.0+ | Asus Xonar DGX | Corsair CX750M | Westinghouse 50" 1080P | Windows 10 Pro
File Server - NZXT Classic Series Source 210 | ASRock 970A-G/3.1 | AMD FX-8320E Black Edition | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1333 | 128GB Samsung 830 | 4x2TB HGST UlstraStar | Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 | Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W | Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter

Quote:
I play a medic in TF2 so I think I know a little bit about diagnosing disease. Plus I watched a lot of House.

Last edited by Shadowless : Nov 17, 2009 at 12:41 AM.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 17, 2009, 12:42 AM   #4
DorXtar
SMILE!

DorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Nice. As for the OP... I'd also get the HTC touch pro. I can't stand phones that aren't touchscreen. I used the tour for a weekend and that was enough. I think I could handle the black berries if they had a full-size screen and a slide-out keyboard. That dinky screen and the little nub to move the cursor around are big-no-nos.
2 Peter 3:3) For YOU know this first, that in the last days there will come ridiculers with their ridicule, proceeding according to their own desires 4) and saying: “Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep [in death], all things are continuing exactly as from creation’s beginning.” 5) For, according to their wish, this fact escapes their notice [...]

8) However, let this one fact not be escaping YOUR notice, beloved ones, that one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. 9) Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with YOU because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.
Like 12Bass says, critical thinking and the scientific method are probably the best tools we have to avoid it. (bias)

However, this method relies on repeatable, falsifiable hypotheses and theories. Only an extremely small spectrum of time and space can be rendered into these, or at least a good approximation of such.

-RFtinkerer

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Daniel J. Boorstin
DorXtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 12:44 AM   #5
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorXtar View Post
Nice. As for the OP... I'd also get the HTC touch pro. I can't stand phones that aren't touchscreen. I used the tour for a weekend and that was enough. I think I could handle the black berries if they had a full-size screen and a slide-out keyboard. That dinky screen and the little nub to move the cursor around are big-no-nos.
I had the same initial feelings when I had to ditch my iPhone for the curve 8350i when my company switched carriers. I got used to it, but at times I found myself cursing at the ball. I could live with it, just like i lived with the screen lag on the Mogul and 8525 when you slide out the keyboard.

Quote:
Old Nov 17, 2009, 12:28 PM   #6
ratm
Radeon R300

ratm is still being judged by the masses

3GS man all the way - I'll never look back oh and jailbreak that shizzle!
Old Nov 17, 2009, 12:53 PM   #7
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post
3GS man all the way - I'll never look back oh and jailbreak that shizzle!
Umm that wasn't one of the options, and i'm not switching carriers to pay $60/mo more.

Quote:
Old Nov 17, 2009, 01:09 PM   #8
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

I picked up the Bold 2 9700 yesterday. Much better than my old Curve 8320. I think the Tour is close to the 9700 correct? If so it's good for that class of phone.

People seem to think Blackberry phones are so yesterday etc but I like a secure dependable phone that does a good job with email and phone conversations. If I want to watch a movie I'm not going to do it on my phone.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 01:23 PM   #9
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

I had the 8350i for a while and personally I can't recommend it to anyone unless you're dead set on the iDEN network and the Direct Connect. Between the three I'd have to recommend the BB Tour. It's what I'm using now and the CDMA network is just faster where data is concerned. The apps are better and useful in the App World. Plus the phone is nice in and of itself, good screen, keyboard etc...
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 01:25 PM   #10
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Under Options -> Memory
how much Application Memory Free Space do you have?
Old Nov 17, 2009, 01:52 PM   #11
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Why not consider the Samsung Moment? It's a pretty damned nice phone, IMO.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 05:35 PM   #12
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Why not consider the Samsung Moment? It's a pretty damned nice phone, IMO.
I don't know how I feel about Android yet.

Quote:
Old Nov 17, 2009, 05:59 PM   #13
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowless View Post
I don't know how I feel about Android yet.
I feel much better about it than I do WM or BB OS
Old Nov 17, 2009, 06:57 PM   #14
Debello
Not built for speed

Debello is still being judged by the masses

I voted BB Tour, but Samsung Moment is a pretty nice phone, one of my friends loves his Moment.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 07:01 PM   #15
Elysian
SCAATSJW

The Moment should also be getting Android 2.0, and with its 800mhz processor, it's every bit as fast as, and potentially faster than, the Motorola Droid.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:34 PM   #16
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jokerzwild is still being judged by the masses

Dude... I just replaced my iPhone with a 8350i today. I'm sure I'll get used to it but my first day's impression is that I feel like I went back in time 4 or 5 years .

No 3g... hell no 2g! Only the sloooow iden network, thank God this thing has WiFi. Lost all my useful apps, but I have found a couple of cool ones for the BB. I like how programs can run in the background on this phone, like Facebook and IM clients. Can't believe the iPhone can't do that. Otherwise though I miss just about everything about the iPhone, but I'm sure I'll adjust.

I had to make this switch though. I had been carrying around two phones for a year, one for the Nextel PTT for work and the iPhone for everything else and that just sucked, had to consolidate. This phone was the one and only choice I had for a Sprint smartphone with PTT. I definitely would not have willingly chose this one though, if only because of the dog slow data speeds.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:00 PM   #17
ATi VGA Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerzwild View Post
Dude... I just replaced my iPhone with a 8350i today. I'm sure I'll get used to it but my first day's impression is that I feel like I went back in time 4 or 5 years .
I replaced my 8320 with a 9700 yesterday. I had my 8300 series phone for over 2 years and had to ditch it because 16 MB RAM didn't cut it. The new one has 128 MB RAM.

I noticed the CDMA versions of Blackberrys seem to have 2x RAM of the GSM counterparts. Of course they have totally different CPUs as well even though the screens and cases look the same.

Under Options -> Memory

Hopefully Shrike will respond too.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:02 PM   #18
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jokerzwild is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
I replaced my 8320 with a 9700 yesterday. I had my 8300 series phone for over 2 years and had to ditch it because 16 MB RAM didn't cut it. The new one has 128 MB RAM.

I noticed the CDMA versions of Blackberrys seem to have 2x RAM of the GSM counterparts. Of course they have totally different CPUs as well even though the screens and cases look the same.

Under Options -> Memory

Right now it says 62.9MB.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 09:27 AM   #19
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post

Under Options -> Memory

Oh sorry for some reason I thought you were asking someone else. On my BB Tour it says 86.5 MB of free space. But this is with a number of apps like GTalk, GMail, App World, WHERE and a number of other apps installed.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:21 AM   #20
ATi VGA Wonder

Right now my 9700 has 117 MB free. I have some apps running but not many.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 02:03 PM   #21
Pornstar Yard Gnom
Radeon Evergreen

Pornstar Yard Gnom is still being judged by the masses

i would get a 9700 myself but i saw a new android phone coming out that looks freaking sweet, i have yet to find it on any websites... its not a snapdragon so i may pass tho...
Pornstar Yard Gnom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2009, 02:05 PM   #22
Elysian
SCAATSJW

You can get the Samsung Moment on Amazon for 79.99 with a new contract. That's what you should do!
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:37 PM   #23
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
You can get the Samsung Moment on Amazon for 79.99 with a new contract. That's what you should do!
That'd be great if it weren't for the fact I'm already a customer.

Quote:
Old Nov 19, 2009, 06:47 AM   #24
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowless View Post
That'd be great if it weren't for the fact I'm already a customer.
What plan are you setup on right now? Also yeah the Moment looks to be a pretty good phone, I think it's the one I'm gonna get myself. I know it doesn't have the Sense UI that HTC wrote but when Android 2.0 comes out it shouldn't matter too much and that faster CPU is gonna be nice. I know I voted BB Tour but if you had the Moment as an option I'd probably have gone with that one instead.

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Nov 19, 2009, 08:27 AM   #25
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I think you should get a job before you get a new phone.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote