Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:17 AM   #301
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Dungeoncrawler
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dungeoncrawler once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Dungeoncrawler once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Dungeoncrawler once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Dungeoncrawler once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Dungeoncrawler once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Dungeoncrawler once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Hows the 'smudge' factor on the vita rig? I hated that on my psp. Might consider getting one if/when something comes down the pipe where you can trade-in a psp for a modest discount on a vita (already have $70 in reward zone discounts). Are there just the two models?

Hitbox TV @ 720p http://www.hitbox.tv/deadofnightgaming

Quote:
I cannot but conclude that the Bulk of your Natives, to be the most pernicious Race of little odious Vermin that Nature ever suffered to crawl upon the Surface of the Earth.

Last edited by Dungeoncrawler : Feb 27, 2012 at 12:20 AM.
Dungeoncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:59 AM   #302
Chubz
Doomer

Chubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird sings

Just completed Uncharted! Man, what an awesome game. Definitely an 8 out of 10. I can't believe the writer at Kotaku answered "NO" when he posed the question, "Is it worth playing?"

It was just a solid game all around with a good story, too, that was easy to follow and featured some nice twists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dungeoncrawler View Post
Hows the 'smudge' factor on the vita rig? I hated that on my psp. Might consider getting one if/when something comes down the pipe where you can trade-in a psp for a modest discount on a vita (already have $70 in reward zone discounts). Are there just the two models?
The screen is an absolute magnet for finger prints, so you should definitely come in expecting that. It's highly reflective, too. Thankfully, its size and quality helps make up for those downsides.

And yeah, right now there are just two models available: Wi-Fi and 3G/Wi-Fi. Go for the Wi-Fi. You can't play most games online with 3G and it's really just for surfing the web, messaging friends, using the Near app to find nearby Vita owners, and so forth. Considering you must pay a monthly fee for one of AT&T's data plans, it just doesn't seem worth it to me.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 01:10 AM   #303
Dungeoncrawler
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dungeoncrawler once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Dungeoncrawler once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Dungeoncrawler once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Dungeoncrawler once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Dungeoncrawler once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Dungeoncrawler once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubz View Post
Just completed Uncharted! Man, what an awesome game. Definitely an 8 out of 10. I can't believe the writer at Kotaku answered "NO" when he posed the question, "Is it worth playing?"

It was just a solid game all around with a good story, too, that was easy to follow and featured some nice twists.

The screen is an absolute magnet for finger prints, so you should definitely come in expecting that. It's highly reflective, too. Thankfully, its size and quality helps make up for those downsides.

And yeah, right now there are just two models available: Wi-Fi and 3G/Wi-Fi. Go for the Wi-Fi. You can't play most games online with 3G and it's really just for surfing the web, messaging friends, using the Near app to find nearby Vita owners, and so forth. Considering you must pay a monthly fee for one of AT&T's data plans, it just doesn't seem worth it to me.
Smudge factor certainly was just an inconvenience. Yea, the 3g model certainly does not fit into my 'must have' category - appreciate the info.

Quote:
I cannot but conclude that the Bulk of your Natives, to be the most pernicious Race of little odious Vermin that Nature ever suffered to crawl upon the Surface of the Earth.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:59 AM   #304
Chubz
Doomer

Chubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird sings

Default Uncharted gameplay footage from yours truly!

Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:32 AM   #305
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

HyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled with

Holy ****. The graphics are ****ing insane on this thing. What is in this badboy?
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:56 AM   #306
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Holy ****. The graphics are ****ing insane on this thing. What is in this badboy?
quad core gpu + quad core CPU

512 ram for system. 128 Ram for GPu
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png

Last edited by wc326 : Feb 27, 2012 at 10:00 AM.
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:58 AM   #307
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

9 Tips and tricks for the Vita by Sony

even some extra ones in the comments.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:35 AM   #308
BackToPC
Banned

BackToPC is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc326 View Post

in other words, more total ram than a PS3
BackToPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:48 AM   #309
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackToPC View Post
in other words, more total ram than a PS3
lol my lowend android phone has more ram than the ps3...

Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:55 PM   #310
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Clockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:

256 of that 512 is reserved for the OS.
Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:59 PM   #311
Omega53
Rage veteran

Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
256 of that 512 is reserved for the OS.
I wish they wouldve used 256MB of RAM for the GPU instead of 128MB
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 01:03 PM   #312
JulianLyle
Radeon Northern Islands

JulianLyle is still being judged by the masses

It's still awesome
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:06 PM   #313
Chubz
Doomer

I forgot to post about the Trigger Grips accessory! My brother picked one up for himself and me just the other day and I'm even using it in the Uncharted video above. It has helped a lot so far, especially with games that make excessive use of the L and R buttons. It allows you to hold the Vita for extended periods of time without cramps and greatly reduces the chance that your fingers will rest on the rear touch pad by accident. Two games that it helped with the most are ModNation Racers and FIFA Soccer.

Since you're always holding down the R button in ModNation Racers to accelerate, it used to become uncomfortable after lengthy periods of time. Now, with the handles at the bottom and triggers that are easier to reach, that isn't the case. And in FIFA, I constantly rested my fingers on the rear touch pad by accident and sometimes shot the ball when I didn't mean to, but now that never happens.

Overall, I think it's a great investment. I do wish the handles were a little longer and that you didn't have to pull the triggers so far down for it to register, but for the added comfort and design that keeps your fingers off the rear touch pad, I think it's worth the money. It's extremely easy to slip on and off, too, and can be done in seconds without having to wrestle with it.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:39 PM   #314
Dungeoncrawler
Radeon Arctic Islands

No shortage of vita stock at my local best buy. Clerk said they were only selling moderately well.

Quote:
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:22 PM   #315
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dungeoncrawler View Post
No shortage of vita stock at my local best buy. Clerk said they were only selling moderately well.
I never thought they were going to sell out of Vitas, I dont think its poular enough and the hefty price tag will keep a lot of potential buyers away from it.

Old Feb 27, 2012, 04:52 PM   #316
JulianLyle
Radeon Northern Islands

JulianLyle is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
I forgot to post about the Trigger Grips accessory! My brother picked one up for himself and me just the other day and I'm even using it in the Uncharted video above. It has helped a lot so far, especially with games that make excessive use of the L and R buttons. It allows you to hold the Vita for extended periods of time without cramps and greatly reduces the chance that your fingers will rest on the rear touch pad by accident. Two games that it helped with the most are ModNation Racers and FIFA Soccer.

Since you're always holding down the R button in ModNation Racers to accelerate, it used to become uncomfortable after lengthy periods of time. Now, with the handles at the bottom and triggers that are easier to reach, that isn't the case. And in FIFA, I constantly rested my fingers on the rear touch pad by accident and sometimes shot the ball when I didn't mean to, but now that never happens.

Overall, I think it's a great investment. I do wish the handles were a little longer and that you didn't have to pull the triggers so far down for it to register, but for the added comfort and design that keeps your fingers off the rear touch pad, I think it's worth the money. It's extremely easy to slip on and off, too, and can be done in seconds without having to wrestle with it.
I can't find it here in Europe. Hopefully GameStop will sell them.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:42 PM   #317
Omega53
Rage veteran

Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I bought Virtua Tennis 4 for it and I am very impressed with the graphics. My biggest complaint so far is battery life. I was really getting into the career mode and the damn Low Battery warning came up . I charge it every night when I go to bed. One night I put it on standby with the battery at 80% and when I woke up in the morning it was less than 25%. Learned my lesson.
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:24 PM   #318
pahncrd
Stranger in a Strange LAN

pahncrd is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Quote:

The 3g is nice though and a good deal.. It also includes gps and an included 8gb memory stick, which is not included in the wifi only model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega53 View Post
I wish they wouldve used 256MB of RAM for the GPU instead of 128MB
With any luck it will be like the ps3, where system ram is fast enough to be used as vram sometimes.

I really like my 3g vita so far. It's not going to take the place of my ipad 2 yet, as the browser is very clunky in comparison and it is still low on games (and man they're expensive after getting used to ios prices), however, I can tell there is a lot to look forward to. I imagine it will become my default mobile gaming platform within six months.

One thing to keep in mind is it is a great deal. My 3g ipad 2 set me back nearly $700, and yet the more powerful vita with 3g is only $300. Pretty awesome bang for the buckage.

Last edited by pahncrd : Feb 27, 2012 at 10:32 PM.
pahncrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:29 PM   #319
logical
What is my purpose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahncrd View Post
The 3g is nice though and a good deal.. It also includes gps and an included 8gb memory stick, which is not included in the wifi only model.
A lot of people arent happy with the bait and switch sony is pulling with their 3G bundle. You get a month free and a free game only if you pay for a months service.

Id rather save the money and get the wifi + 8GB alone = 280.

Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:39 PM   #320
pahncrd

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
A lot of people arent happy with the bait and switch sony is pulling with their 3G bundle. You get a month free and a free game only if you pay for a months service.

Id rather save the money and get the wifi + 8GB alone = 280.
Why would you get a 3g model and not get service for it? Is it really worth getting upset over. I mean, I can see why they did it, as people would just buy the 3g version and never actually bother paying for service after taking advantage of their free month of 3g and free game. Seems like it would be a total dog for att if that was the case.

The device is only $300, which is pretty cheap for such a powerful and 3g enabled portable, spend $15 and you get a free month, a free game and an 8gb memory stick. Not too shabby.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:48 PM   #321
logical
What is my purpose?

Quote:
Why would you get a 3g model and not get service for it? Is it really worth getting upset over. I mean, I can see why they did it, as people would just buy the 3g version and never actually bother paying for service after taking advantage of their free month of 3g and free game. Seems like it would be a total dog for att if that was the case.

The device is only $300, which is pretty cheap for such a powerful and 3g enabled portable, spend $15 and you get a free month, a free game and an 8gb memory stick. Not too shabby.
Resale value would be the main reason to get the 3G version and not use it. Its the only reason I considered that pack, but the bait and switch steered me away from it.

$300 bucks is far from pretty cheap. You could get either full blown console for that price.

Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:10 PM   #322
pahncrd

Subscriber

Quote:
Resale value would be the main reason to get the 3G version and not use it. Its the only reason I considered that pack, but the bait and switch steered me away from it.

$300 bucks is far from pretty cheap. You could get either full blown console for that price.
It's pretty cheap for being the most poweful 3g enabled device around. There aren't any mobile cellular data media\gaming devices that are anywhere near it's power and future library for $300.

Also, I forgot to mention the gps included in that $50 premium.

I can see being annoyed by the small print, but it is hardly a big deal to shell out $65 for gps, 3g radio, two months of 3g, a free $15 game and an 8gb memory stick. In fact, that sounds pretty reasonable.

There is reacting and then there is overreacting.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:18 PM   #323
logical
What is my purpose?

I can see where you are coming from with the GPS thing, but its of no value to me and many people. Most people already have a smart phone that can do the job(and probably better) and we pay for that already.

As for its power, for right now its probably the most powerful portable gaming device but probably not for long. I think that phones will probably catch up to it in no time. The real thing it has going for it is its physical controls which cant be beat by any smartphone.

Its game library is not that extensive yet and it really doesnt have any game selling software... Uncharted might be considered that but its not as pretty as everyone is making it out to be and its not my type of game.

The bait and switch thing annoys me. If it says free game and a free month of service on the front you should be able to redeem that without paying anything. Just a matter of principle for me. People dont like being swindled which is why gamers are making a fuss about it.

Did you pick up a Vita pahn?

Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:33 PM   #324
pahncrd

Subscriber

Quote:
I can see where you are coming from with the GPS thing, but its of no value to me and many people. Most people already have a smart phone that can do the job(and probably better) and we pay for that already.

As for its power, for right now its probably the most powerful portable gaming device but probably not for long. I think that phones will probably catch up to it in no time. The real thing it has going for it is its physical controls which cant be beat by any smartphone.

Its game library is not that extensive yet and it really doesnt have any game selling software... Uncharted might be considered that but its not as pretty as everyone is making it out to be and its not my type of game.

The bait and switch thing annoys me. If it says free game and a free month of service on the front you should be able to redeem that without paying anything. Just a matter of principle for me. People dont like being swindled which is why gamers are making a fuss about it.
I understand the principle, but I just can't see getting worked up over $15. Anyone with a smartphone that doesn't intend to use the 3g or gps features should just get the wifi version in the first place. Obviously att and sony couldn't afford to give out a slew of 3g radios to people that won't ever use them. For those of us that actually want to use 3g features, it's a pretty decent deal.

It'll take probably a year for top smartphones to reach the vitas raw performance level, but how many games are programmed to the metal for smartphones. The vita will outshine graphically merely because the games will be built from the ground up for one powerful device.

That's not to say I dislike iOS gaming, it's great in fact, but the vita will have quite a few core games I cannot get on iOS, and that's what'll keep me coming back to it.

I'm not one to normally defend corporations, and sony and att are particularly vile at times, but being that I expected to use the 3g capabilties I paid for, I felt the opposite of ripped off in this case. I was actually surprised to hear about the level of outrage.

Quote:
Did you pick up a Vita pahn?
I sure did, guess which kind!

Last edited by pahncrd : Feb 27, 2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:52 PM   #325
logical
What is my purpose?

Quote:
I understand the principle, but I just can't see getting worked up over $15. Anyone with a smartphone that doesn't intend to use the 3g or gps features should just get the wifi version in the first place. Obviously att and sony couldn't afford to give out a slew of 3g radios to people that won't ever use them. For those of us that actually want to use 3g features, it's a pretty decent deal.

It'll take probably a year for top smartphones to reach the vitas raw performance level, but how many games are programmed to the metal for smartphones. The vita will outshine graphically merely because the games will be built from the ground up for one powerful device.

That's not to say I dislike iOS gaming, it's great in fact, but the vita will have quite a few core games I cannot get on iOS, and that's what'll keep me coming back to it.

I'm not one to normally defend corporations, and sony and att are particularly vile at times, but being that I expected to use the 3g capabilties I paid for, I felt the opposite of ripped off in this case. I was actually surprised to hear about the level of outrage.

I sure did, guess which kind!
Phones need some kind of connectivity to make phone calls so getting a wifi version of a phone is out of the question. Man, 15 bucks is 15 bucks lol. 15 bucks != to free, so you really dont get anything for free. Not to mention when you sign up for service its automatically put on auto-renew.

I dont doubt that the games will definitely surpass iOS games, I just hope its sooner. The only thing holding me back from getting one is lack of games that I want to play. Super Stardust is awesome but other than that there are no other compelling games for me. I think the next iPhone(maybe even the upcoming iPad) will be able to rival the Vita though. As I said before, no phone will ever be able to match the physical controls though. I really want to see what EA does with Madden for the Vita If they can do for Madden with they did with FIFA I will be happy. (COME ON 60FPS MADDEN)

The other gripe I have with the 3G service is the download restrictions. Limited to 20MB, cant use PSN on the go... dont even think about netflix either. Its basically useless cause the web browser isnt that amazing either. The only real thing you can do with it is the near app/feature. If I pay for 250 MB I should be able to use it how I want as long as I dont pass my 250MB limit.

Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:08 AM   #326
pahncrd

Subscriber

I was just looking at the box and the front of the box says that the bonus stuff requires activation. It also says "free month" and not "first month free", sneaky buggers. While perhaps not as explicit and verbose as it should be, it is still obvious to me that it wasnt going to be a completely free lunch.

I knew nothing about the bait and switch claims, so I imagine because I didnt expect free stuff, it didnt bug me that it wasnt. I would have gotten the 3g regardless as I wanted the feature, so the bonuses were a pleasant surprise.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:37 AM   #327
Chubz
Doomer

Default ModNation Racers Videos

Here are a couple ModNation Racers: Road Trip videos in which I show off a quick race versus seven A.I. opponents and talk about its superb track creation tools:

Old Feb 28, 2012, 01:11 AM   #328
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

i got the Grip addon..

it might be too big for me.

but i think it gives you better control over your analog stick....
now i can't charge my vita while using this. Lol totally didn't thought of that when i bought this. Other grip you can charge and use it at the same time..

Last edited by wc326 : Feb 28, 2012 at 02:34 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:42 AM   #329
Chubz
Doomer

Quote:
but i think it gives you better control over your analog stick....
now i can't charge my vita while using this. Lol totally didn't thought of that when i bought this. Other grip you can charge and use it at the same time..
Until you pointed it out, I didn't even notice that about that grip. Those designers are retarded for blocking the USB/charging port like that.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:55 AM   #330
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Until you pointed it out, I didn't even notice that about that grip. Those designers are retarded for blocking the USB/charging port like that.
yes this is totally lame without being able to charge the system while using...

but i got this for only 3 dollars US, and it works ok.... much better for Analog stick precision..