Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Feb 2, 2012, 02:52 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Chubz
Doomer

Chubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird sings

Post PS Vita

So who else is grabbing one of these badboys at launch here in a few weeks? And what titles are you picking up?

Here is what I'm going to be picking up on (or before) launch day:And later this year, I'm definitely going to grab these:I can't remember the last time I was this excited about a handheld system. The dual analog sticks, online features, and near-PS3-ish hardware alone have me sold, but the software is just insane. There are top-notch platformer, racing, shooting, puzzle, and even fighting games to behold -- and this is at and shortly following launch! And although little has been said about them, we apparently have upcoming Bioshock and Call of Duty titles. It makes me giddy just thinking about what developers will be able to do with this platform. Despite the terrible reception in Japan, I really hope sales start to pick up and the Vita goes on a tear. It's certainly the must-have portable system for the hardcore crowd for many reasons and it has all the makings of a juggernaut if things pick up once it releases in North America, Europe, and Australia.

Last edited by Chubz : Feb 2, 2012 at 02:56 AM.
Chubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 03:21 AM   #2
Dungeoncrawler
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dungeoncrawler once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Dungeoncrawler once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Dungeoncrawler once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Dungeoncrawler once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Dungeoncrawler once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Dungeoncrawler once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I have the original psp and never use it. I just cannot game on such a small screen.

Hitbox TV @ 720p http://www.hitbox.tv/deadofnightgaming

Quote:
I cannot but conclude that the Bulk of your Natives, to be the most pernicious Race of little odious Vermin that Nature ever suffered to crawl upon the Surface of the Earth.
Dungeoncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 03:25 AM   #3
Chubz
Doomer

Chubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dungeoncrawler View Post
I have the original psp and never use it. I just cannot game on such a small screen.
That really bothered me with my 3DS. My God, both screens were tiny. The Vita is supposed to have an absolutely gorgeous 5" OLED screen, though, so hopefully that will help make it more bearable versus the 3DS' main 3.5" screen. I checked and it looks like the PSP models had a screen size of roughly 4", so the Vita has those beat by about an inch and its screen will be more vibrant since it's using OLED technology.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 2, 2012, 04:09 AM   #4
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

spindoctor is still being judged by the masses

damn thing is too expensive in my country. 400$ for the wifi system, 500$ for the 3g one, games between 45-55$ and they don't even want to reveal the memory card prices yet because of how absurd they are going to be. will wait for a price drop and/or refresh.
spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 04:31 AM   #5
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

i have both vita and 3ds.
as far as screen goes, the vita screen is top notch. the color are so vivid which is great for gaming.

but i still think 5 inch is n't big enough for gaming, but for mobility i don't really want anything bigger
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 04:50 AM   #6
Chubz
Doomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc326 View Post
i have both vita and 3ds.
as far as screen goes, the vita screen is top notch. the color are so vivid which is great for gaming.

but i still think 5 inch is n't big enough for gaming, but for mobility i don't really want anything bigger
I know this is almost an entirely separate topic, but since you have it I must ask something regarding the analog sticks:
Although they're significantly shorter/smaller than their PS3 controller counterparts, do they still have nearly the same range of motion? In other words, can you still slowly shift from walking to jogging to running in a game like Uncharted or Gravity Rush, or is that range of motion compromised so that it's more or less black and white - walking or running?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 06:03 AM   #7
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubz View Post
I know this is almost an entirely separate topic, but since you have it I must ask something regarding the analog sticks:
Although they're significantly shorter/smaller than their PS3 controller counterparts, do they still have nearly the same range of motion? In other words, can you still slowly shift from walking to jogging to running in a game like Uncharted or Gravity Rush, or is that range of motion compromised so that it's more or less black and white - walking or running?
of course you can do slow movement on both anolog stick easily the stick works just like the one from arcade machine.. and imo this has to be the best anolog stick on any handheld system todate.
the stick is just miles better than the one on the 3ds.
the 3ds uses the same design for its anaolog stick as on the psp1, the vita anolog stick feels liike sometthing from arcade game machine, but much smaller.

it feels much easier to use. altho i am not too convince that this kind of anolog stick(too small) , will work well on fps game.

Last edited by wc326 : Feb 2, 2012 at 06:17 AM.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 07:12 AM   #8
mrbaggs
Ashes to Ashes

mrbaggs is still being judged by the masses

Got mine preordered along w Uncharted. The gamestop near me has a display Vita set up, thing is very cool. It seems a lot bigger than it looks in pictures. The analogs are excellent as well, nearly as good as the ones on the dualshock IMO.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 07:16 AM   #9
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaggs View Post
Got mine preordered along w Uncharted. The gamestop near me has a display Vita set up, thing is very cool. It seems a lot bigger than it looks in pictures. The analogs are excellent as well, nearly as good as the ones on the dualshock IMO.
imo the d-stick is better than the d-pad

i think sony has copied ninitendo on the d-pad this time. not sure why they have done this.

Last edited by wc326 : Feb 2, 2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:39 AM   #10
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I'll decide after a couple months, when hopefully you can install homebrew. go go gadget hackers.
Spring the trap. Spring it all over her face.
_TiTaNiuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:48 AM   #11
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jokerzwild is still being judged by the masses

I can't imagine myself needing one of these. Will I get one though? Probably, because I waste money on unnecessary crap. I've bought and sold 3 PSP's because I like the THOUGHT of playing stuff on a handheld, but when it comes right down to it, I either play games on the PC or occasionally something like Angry Birds or PvZ on my ipad2. Oh I'll love it and use it all the time for like 2 or 3 weeks, but long term...

Who knows, maybe this will be awesome and make me change my habits? I doubt it though, it'll prolly end up on the shelf right in between the 3ds and PS Move didlo
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:10 PM   #12
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird sings

Was interested until I found out that PSP games won't use the Vita properly.

Re:Gran Turismo PSP, You can map accel/brake to the new RH analog stick but it will still be digital controls.

Lame!
Old Feb 2, 2012, 01:45 PM   #13
Chubz
Doomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
Re:Gran Turismo PSP, You can map accel/brake to the new RH analog stick but it will still be digital controls.
What do you mean by "still be digital controls"?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 01:58 PM   #14
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
What do you mean by "still be digital controls"?

It means that pushing the RH nub upwards will be like pushing a button, it will only be on or off. No gradual acceleration effect like a large gamepad or joystick.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 02:22 PM   #15
Chubz
Doomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
It means that pushing the RH nub upwards will be like pushing a button, it will only be on or off. No gradual acceleration effect like a large gamepad or joystick.
Ah, I see. That really sucks.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 05:45 PM   #16
wangFu
take him away!

wangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badges

makes sense, the games were not made with that in mind
Old Feb 2, 2012, 06:34 PM   #17
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

nomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
So who else is grabbing one of these badboys at launch here in a few weeks?
I have no interest in PS Vita.

Quote:
And what titles are you picking up?
hopefully Uncharted: Golden Abyss in few weeks/months for the PS3 and Rayman Origins for the PC once it gets cheaper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H001iGAN View Post
no matter how you look at it, it's still better on PC
nomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 07:00 PM   #18
MyTMouse
Console Forumas Modamus

MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

I remember how small the original gameboy screen was...it was monochrome and had no backlight or HD.

People these days are babies complaining about screens being too small or not bright or HD enough

/cranky old coot rant

MyTMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 07:00 PM   #19
Chubz
Doomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore View Post
I have no interest in PS Vita.

hopefully Uncharted: Golden Abyss in few weeks/months for the PS3 and Rayman Origins for the PC once it gets cheaper.
Golden Abyss isn't making its way to PS3 though, is it? I don't see anything about it on the Wiki. Do they have a PS3 version in development too, set to be released at a later date? I thought it was a Vita exclusive.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 07:10 PM   #20
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

nomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Golden Abyss isn't making its way to PS3 though, is it? I don't see anything about it on the Wiki. Do they have a PS3 version in development too, set to be released at a later date? I thought it was a Vita exclusive.
probably not right away.
but God of War games for PSP came to PS3 so I am hoping Uncharted game for Vita will come to PS3 as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H001iGAN View Post
no matter how you look at it, it's still better on PC
nomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 09:14 PM   #21
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore View Post
probably not right away.
but God of War games for PSP came to PS3 so I am hoping Uncharted game for Vita will come to PS3 as well.
lol
the game on ps3 should come to the vita, not the other way around

i say this because i no longer have a ps3, traded in for a 3ds and never look back. i will say good bye to home console this gen. it has been a good 6 years.

i am hoping they port gt5 to the vita and mgs4

the gaming experience on these new handheld are different than last gen one, i got to say i hate the NDS , and even the NDS game on 3ds still sucks so much. But with its own 3ds game with 3d mode on, games just can't look as cute on the wii or any other system. Mario is so cute with 3d on

games on these handheld looks sharp, i even like the graphic more on these handheld than on the ps3. yea the screen might be too small, but the game looks just so much cleaner sharper, much more colorful and you really don't get that blurry sub hd effect any more on smaller screen.

vita is a monster machine, what it can do with graphic is still unknow, but so far the gameplay itself has already match what we have on the ps3.

Last edited by wc326 : Feb 2, 2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 09:26 PM   #22
Omega53
Rage veteran

Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTMouse View Post
I remember how small the original gameboy screen was...it was monochrome and had no backlight or HD.

People these days are babies complaining about screens being too small or not bright or HD enough

/cranky old coot rant

Not Only that, it would eat four AA batteries for breakfast
Omega53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 07:56 AM   #23
DiaperJe|\|i3
Proud Papa

DiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete strangerDiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete strangerDiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete strangerDiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega53 View Post
Not Only that, it would eat four AA batteries for breakfast
LOL, remember the sega nomad, turbo express. They are still legendary for double the amount of batteries and half the uptime. Too bad too. The Turbo Express was pretty phenomenal for what it was.
DiaperJe|\|i3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 07:23 AM   #24
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I need to get a sense for how cheaply I can get games for this before I make the plunge.
Hidavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 10:35 AM   #25
Renocide
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Renocide is still being judged by the masses

super excited for this release.

I pre-ordered the Feb. 15th Early Edition along with Uncharted, ModNation, Little Big Planet, and Unit 13.

I finally got a chance to get some hands on time up at the local Gamestop.

I had heard that the analog sticks were a little laggy but I didn't notice it while playing Uncharted. I also heard that there was a ton of jaggies and such and while it does show some it's not as nearly as bad as the guy made it out to be.

I can't wait for this to get here!!!!

I say if anyone has any doubts they should go up to Gamestop and try it out. I'd be surprised if it didn't change a few minds about getting it right away!
Renocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 10:47 AM   #26
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

i have already put 20 hours of capcom vs marvel on the vita.

great game. wonderful control

Old Feb 4, 2012, 11:39 AM   #27
LimeyGeeza
Get down with da sickness

LimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete strangerLimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete strangerLimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete strangerLimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete stranger

Not me, I got burned with the PSP with Sony not following through on their promises, I haven't played the PSP for years. The vita would have to blow me away when I see one for me to buy it, and I doubt that is going to happen.
LimeyGeeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 04:26 PM   #28
Chubz
Doomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidavi View Post
I need to get a sense for how cheaply I can get games for this before I make the plunge.
Most titles are $39.99, whereas others are $29.99. Uncharted is $49.99, but that's the only game priced that high.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 08:33 PM   #29
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

MK on vita.

mbl

Last edited by wc326 : Feb 4, 2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 08:39 PM   #30
Progression
Radeon Arctic Islands

Progression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Ok that's pretty damn cool. I may get one of these for when my PC is rendering or something.

Edit: Can the vita browse / read kindle / read pdf / watch videos, though?
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
If you must listen to country [music], play it backwards. You get your woman back, the dog comes back to life, Momma pops out from under the train, and it stops raining. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bete View Post
I'd bet it would be fun to do him up the ass.

Last edited by Progression : Feb 4, 2012 at 08:41 PM.
Progression is offline   Reply With Quote