Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Nov 29, 2011, 05:28 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Qb2k5
Alienware Certified

Qb2k5 is still being judged by the masses

Default The Prices for Vita Memory Cards Are Surprisingly Expensive!

Gamestop has posted their pricing on Vita memory cards.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[/quote]

Source

Im not up to how different techwise it is from the industry standard SD card except for the physical size of the Vita card, but by going by US prices the SD card averages 70% less of what Sony is charging.

So not only will you need to spend $249-$300 for the Vita, but you will need to spend $29 for at least a 4GB memory unit. Of course most people never buy a console without a game or two game, right? So add another $39 for a PSVita launch game and right now your out $369 without tax. Add another game and your close to half a G without tax. I'm not sure about most of you guys but that's pretty damn expensive for a handheld unit.

With these outrageous prices its going to make the 3DS look a heck of a lot more attractive come next year.

Last edited by Qb2k5 : Nov 29, 2011 at 05:41 AM.
Qb2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 06:31 AM   #2
Sharkfood
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Sharkfood is still being judged by the masses

So they don't take the PSP standard Pro Duo cards?

That makes NO sense at all... either that or they do take Pro Duo cards and these are the Sony branded "Vita" ones, which will cost a mint... else just buy generic's/SanDisks for less than half that.

Don't spread my wealth, spread my work ethic.
3/21/2010 - R.I.P. Freedom, Democracy, America
Sharkfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 08:00 AM   #3
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Maybe someone will release a "docking station" for regular sd cards.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:04 AM   #4
1madman1
Rage3D Veteran

1madman1 is still being judged by the masses

I'm guessing they're proprietary for content protection reasons. Also makes them difficult or impossible to directly read them on a regular computer.
1madman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:30 AM   #5
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

anyone know what is the needs for the sdcard?

is it only for video and mps3 those kind of stuff?
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:55 AM   #6
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue once held a door open for a complete strangerASCI Blue once held a door open for a complete strangerASCI Blue once held a door open for a complete strangerASCI Blue once held a door open for a complete stranger

If Sony keeps up with the network connectivity you could also download games to the portable rather than have to use a disc. My guess is (with zero information mind you) is Vita will probably carry on with the PSP Go idea of discless functionality. Digital downloads as we all know is huge and in reality there's becoming very little reason to provide a form of media which can be easily damaged, lost, or stolen.

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
battlenet: voxmortis, origin: asci_blue, steam: death_incarnate352
ASCI Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 04:53 PM   #7
Qb2k5
Alienware Certified

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1madman1 View Post
I'm guessing they're proprietary for content protection reasons. Also makes them difficult or impossible to directly read them on a regular computer.
Bingo!

An outside company will make a generic card someway somehow. Plastic can be molded into any shape. If those memory cards use a proprietary encryption method then it may make 3rd party companies jobs a little harder. In the end I wouldn't be surprised to see unofficial 3rd party memory cards 5 months after the Vita has launched.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 05:38 PM   #8
CyanBlues
Radeon Northern Islands

CyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc326 View Post
anyone know what is the needs for the sdcard?

is it only for video and mps3 those kind of stuff?
supposedly for game saves and

Quote:
Today it has been revealed that Uncharted: Golden Abyss for PlayStation Vita will require a memory card to store additional game data. It was revealed earlier this year that some games would require a memory card for play as the game cart won’t be able to store extra content like DLC or save data and Uncharted: Golden Abyss shall be one of them.
http://www.examiner.com/video-game-i...-for-save-data
Old Nov 29, 2011, 07:10 PM   #9
Qb2k5
Alienware Certified

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanBlues View Post
Well they got to recoup their expensive investment somehow. Id expect next gen consoles to go the same route that's if they all go HDD-less.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 07:22 PM   #10
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

nomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channel

do you really need a memory card after this update?

A new system software update (v4.00) will be released this week. In preparation for the launch of PlayStation Vita (PS Vita) in Japan, this update will prepare PlayStation 3 (PS3) to serve as a content management device. It will allow users to copy their digital content such as games, music, photos, and videos between PS Vita and PS3, back up PS Vita game games including save data to your PS3 hard drive, and update the system software for your PS Vita system using the network features of your PS3.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/...update-v-4-00/
Quote:
Originally Posted by H001iGAN View Post
no matter how you look at it, it's still better on PC
nomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 02:06 AM   #11
Ub3r_n00b
Unwashed peasant

Ub3r_n00b is still being judged by the masses

So you're actually surprised Sony is releasing a new device with a new and relatively expensive proprietary storage medium? Yeah, they never do that
Old Nov 30, 2011, 05:15 PM   #12
YellowBeard
is not amused.

YellowBeard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'YellowBeard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'YellowBeard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'YellowBeard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'YellowBeard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'YellowBeard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore View Post
do you really need a memory card after this update?

A new system software update (v4.00) will be released this week. In preparation for the launch of PlayStation Vita (PS Vita) in Japan, this update will prepare PlayStation 3 (PS3) to serve as a content management device. It will allow users to copy their digital content such as games, music, photos, and videos between PS Vita and PS3, back up PS Vita game games including save data to your PS3 hard drive, and update the system software for your PS Vita system using the network features of your PS3.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/...update-v-4-00/
Considering you most likely need to save the game to something before being able to back it up to your PS3. Yeah, I imagine you still do.
the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!”

YellowBeard says, "Fold ya scurvy b*st*rds!"
YellowBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 06:50 PM   #13
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Looks like a microsd card at first glance... I guess sony wants to get as much money as they can with their own proprietary card.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 07:16 PM   #14
Bender
Radeon R700

Bender is still being judged by the masses

Ugh and I felt ripped off paying $60 for a 32 GB MicroSD card , the Vita better rock!
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 08:31 PM   #15
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

nomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowBeard View Post
Considering you most likely need to save the game to something before being able to back it up to your PS3. Yeah, I imagine you still do.
good point.
but then I wonder whether PSN+ is coming to Vita, that would mean you can save your games online and there won't be a need for Memory cards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H001iGAN View Post
no matter how you look at it, it's still better on PC
nomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 06:34 AM   #16
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

spindoctor is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ub3r_n00b View Post
So you're actually surprised Sony is releasing a new device with a new and relatively expensive proprietary storage medium? Yeah, they never do that
yea... this is the same **** from sony that they keep doing time and again.

i've been going back and forth on whether to get a vita at launch or wait for the first refresh. things like this make me lean towards the latter option.
spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 06:41 AM   #17
Ciera
Bueno

Ciera is still being judged by the masses

i'm opting for the third option: not getting it at all. my psp was a cool toy for a while but it spent the majority of the 3 or 4 years i owned it collecting dust in a closet. i'm really quite burned out on consoles tbqh. i'll prob just stick to pc games and mobile for the occasional retro fix.
Ciera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:13 AM   #18
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciera View Post
i'm opting for the third option: not getting it at all. my psp was a cool toy for a while but it spent the majority of the 3 or 4 years i owned it collecting dust in a closet. i'm really quite burned out on consoles tbqh. i'll prob just stick to pc games and mobile for the occasional retro fix.
yea actually that's true in my case too. both my psp and nds have gone untouched for years now. plus nowadays you have mobile gaming which is fairly entertaining as well. i still feel like getting a vita at some point but it's not an absolutely must have purchase either.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 01:01 PM   #19
Dungeoncrawler
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dungeoncrawler once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Dungeoncrawler once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Dungeoncrawler once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Dungeoncrawler once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Dungeoncrawler once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Dungeoncrawler once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ub3r_n00b View Post
I see Sony used the cold-war phone and called upon M$ for some marketing advice.

Hitbox TV @ 720p http://www.hitbox.tv/deadofnightgaming

Quote:
I cannot but conclude that the Bulk of your Natives, to be the most pernicious Race of little odious Vermin that Nature ever suffered to crawl upon the Surface of the Earth.
Dungeoncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2011, 01:52 PM   #20
Shark
Pain

Shark is still being judged by the masses

my feelings tell me this thing will flop and 6 months later Sony will announce its retirement from handheld devices
Old Dec 2, 2011, 07:02 PM   #21
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dungeoncrawler View Post
I see Sony used the cold-war phone and called upon M$ for some marketing advice.
It is their same marketing strategy, from their memory sticks, to blu-ray...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2011, 07:58 PM   #22
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

if vita has hdmi output for games.. that will be one great feature.

Old Dec 3, 2011, 06:32 AM   #23
JulianLyle
Radeon Northern Islands

JulianLyle is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Unlike the PSP(2000 and 3000), the PlayStation Vita will not support video output or contain a removable battery.
Source
Old Dec 9, 2011, 09:59 AM   #24
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

guess im not getting this then.
Hidavi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2011, 10:11 PM   #25
Ub3r_n00b
Unwashed peasant

Ub3r_n00b is still being judged by the masses

Not surprised they opted for a sealed battery considering how the PSP was modded via the battery. I am a little surprised that they didn't add video output though, but I guess they had to save something for the inevitable product refresh. Gotta get them multiple sales to the same people!
Old Dec 10, 2011, 01:28 AM   #26
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianLyle View Post
no that sucked.. if it has hdmi out.. then i can say good bye to ps3...

Old Dec 13, 2011, 06:20 AM   #27
delirium121
Radeon Northern Islands

delirium121 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydelirium121 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciera View Post
gonna have to agree with you there
simply cant justify the cost to myself
BEWARE!.. the lemon wheels
delirium121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 08:38 AM   #28
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Hidavi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 07:31 AM   #29
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

forget memory cards, have you guys seen the prices for games?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ry-card-prices

uncharted vita is 45 pounds which is 70$ . it's going for 50$ on amazon.com. this in an age when ios and android games cost 1$. and yes i know there's no comparison in the games they offer but mobile gaming is mobile gaming and the market is going to punish sony severely for this stupid pricing.

and yea, any last doubts i had about getting a launch vita are gone. i'll wait a couple of years for a price drop on a refresh or something. if this thing even survives that long.

Last edited by spindoctor : Jan 2, 2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 07:43 AM   #30
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoctor View Post
forget memory cards, have you guys seen the prices for games?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ry-card-prices

uncharted vita is 45 pounds which is 70$ . it's going for 50$ on amazon.com. this in an age when ios and android games cost 1$. and yes i know there's no comparison in the games they offer but mobile gaming is mobile gaming and the market is going to punish sony severely for this stupid pricing.

and yea, any last doubts i had about getting a launch vita are gone. i'll wait a couple of years for a price drop on a refresh or something. if this thing even survives that long.
I don't know if those prices are that outrageous, it's more or less the same as the 3ds titles.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote