Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Legacy ATI Discussion and Technical Support » AIW / Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AIW / Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support Discussion and support forum for all of the All-In-Wonder Radeon cards, the TV-Wonder, Remote Wonder I and II, the new HDTV Wonder, and basically anything with VIVO support.

Old Jan 2, 2005, 03:11 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
meerkat154
Radeon R600

meerkat154 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymeerkat154 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

HDTV - "TV Player Failed to Initialize the Video"

Installed ATI HDTV card this weekend and I've had no luck getting it to work.
When running the TV I get error message "TV Player Failed to Initialize the Video".

I've done the following:
a) Reinstalling OS - WIndows XP SP-2.
b) Installed drivers from the install CD.
c) Installed drivers from the install CD and installed latest updates from ATI.
d) Reinstalling OS - Windows XP Media Edition 2005.
e) Moved the card to another slot (removed all other cards besides video).
f) Exchanged card from retailer to determine good/bad card.
g) Read forum posts.

My current Config:
AMD 64 3200XP, MSI KT8-NEO, 1024MB 266mhz, ATI 9600 XP.

None of the above worked.
Any sugestions? Much appreciated.
Mabus.
meerkat154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 03:44 PM   #2
grog
No longer on Rage3d

grog is still being judged by the masses

This may help.

I still find it strange as many of us have not had any issues with the install but others have. Still this information has helped a number here.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showpost...51&postcount=2

Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabus
Installed ATI HDTV card this weekend and I've had no luck getting it to work.
When running the TV I get error message "TV Player Failed to Initialize the Video".

I've done the following:
a) Reinstalling OS - WIndows XP SP-2.
b) Installed drivers from the install CD.
c) Installed drivers from the install CD and installed latest updates from ATI.
d) Reinstalling OS - Windows XP Media Edition 2005.
e) Moved the card to another slot (removed all other cards besides video).
f) Exchanged card from retailer to determine good/bad card.
g) Read forum posts.

My current Config:
AMD 64 3200XP, MSI KT8-NEO, 1024MB 266mhz, ATI 9600 XP.

None of the above worked.
Any sugestions? Much appreciated.
Mabus.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 03:58 PM   #3
meerkat154
Radeon R600

meerkat154 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymeerkat154 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Thank you for the quick response.

I added the string ;%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers to the PATH variable under Windows XP and still no luck. However now under the TV tab in the ATI multimedia center I can now select the ATI DTV Wonder AV Capture device.

Still investigating..
PC test results show DirectX components not installed properly and Graphics chip not ATI Radeon which is odd...I have 9600XP installed. I have latest ATI video drivers installed.

DirectX 9.0c is standard in WinXP Pro SP-2 so now I'm confused...
Any thoughts?
Mabus

Update: Thought maybe my ATI 9600XP card was bad...but the box/video card clears 3DMark 2003 with no issues.

Last edited by meerkat154 : Jan 2, 2005 at 04:32 PM.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 2, 2005, 04:51 PM   #4
grog
No longer on Rage3d

The PATH variable must be the system PATH not user. That said this is yet another option to try.

This is from AVS forum but I am not sure why this would have any more impact then simply adding the 'system32\drivers' to the PATH but you could give it a try. Seems to have worked for some who are reporting issues on AVS forum.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&pagenumber=70

Not sure about PC-Check. Some have reported problems but I don't see them.

Oh, I am running WinXP PRO SP2 as well.

Greg

Quote:
I had problems getting the analog TV tuner working. It would not initialize with a fresh clean install of the latest software and drivers. ATI was little help for nearly two weeks. Lots of phone calls and web searching. NO ANSWERS! Finally I talked to a tech who pointed me to missing files in the Multimedia Center 9.02 (9.03?) software. The four files needed to be copied from Win/sys32/drivers folder to the ATI/Multi/Main folder were:

vidcap.ax
kswdmcap.ax
ksxbar.ax
kstvtune.ax
Quote:
Thank you for the quick response.

I added the string ;%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers to the PATH variable under Windows XP and still no luck. However now under the TV tab in the ATI multimedia center I can now select the ATI DTV Wonder AV Capture device.

Still investigating..
PC test results show DirectX components not installed properly and Graphics chip not ATI Radeon which is odd...I have 9600XP installed. I have latest ATI video drivers installed.

DirectX 9.0c is standard in WinXP Pro SP-2 so now I'm confused...
Any thoughts?
Kim

Last edited by grog : Jan 2, 2005 at 04:54 PM.
grog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 05:01 PM   #5
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird sings

I will be back in a min with the files you need to copy over, Had this problem and had it fixed in 5 mins thanks to http://www.avsforum.com/

This corrected the problem for me..........................

I had problems getting the analog TV tuner working. It would not initialize with a fresh clean install of the latest software and drivers. ATI was little help for nearly two weeks. Lots of phone calls and web searching. NO ANSWERS! Finally I talked to a tech who pointed me to missing files in the Multimedia Center 9.02 (9.03?) software. The four files needed to be copied from Win/sys32/drivers folder to the ATI/Multi/Main folder were:

vidcap.ax
kswdmcap.ax
ksxbar.ax
kstvtune.ax

Edit: opps same fix posted above allready...

Last edited by Nascar24 : Jan 2, 2005 at 05:06 PM.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 05:07 PM   #6
meerkat154
Radeon R600

My System PATH is:

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel;C:\Program Files\Symantec\pcAnywhere\ ;%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers

Going to try copy those files next...
Thanks again for all the help/fast responses!
Mabus
Old Jan 2, 2005, 05:10 PM   #7
meerkat154
Radeon R600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24
I will be back in a min with the files you need to copy over, Had this problem and had it fixed in 5 mins thanks to http://www.avsforum.com/

This corrected the problem for me..........................

vidcap.ax
kswdmcap.ax
ksxbar.ax
kstvtune.ax

Edit: opps same fix posted above allready...

Ok found the files:

vidcap.ax
kswdmcap.ax
ksxbar.ax
kstvtune.ax

in c:\windows\system32\drivers.

I cannot find the path ATI/Multi/Main. Do you have a more specifc path location?
Thanks,
Mabus.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 05:13 PM   #8
Nascar24

Nascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Ok found the files:

vidcap.ax
kswdmcap.ax
ksxbar.ax
kstvtune.ax

I cannot find the path ATI/Multi/Main. Do you have a more specifc path location?
Thanks,
Mabus.
I will look, hold on......

C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\main
Old Jan 2, 2005, 05:17 PM   #9
grog
No longer on Rage3d

Should be C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\main

Greg

Quote:
Ok found the files:

vidcap.ax
kswdmcap.ax
ksxbar.ax
kstvtune.ax

Thanks,
Mabus.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 06:55 PM   #10
Nascar24

I take it that made it work?
Old Jan 2, 2005, 07:02 PM   #11
meerkat154
Radeon R600

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog
Should be C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\main

Greg
Still no luck...this is SO frustrating. I've been building PC's for 15 years and ultimately always figure out these head-aches. I would hate to return this product. Makes no sense that most folks have no issues installing the card.

Here's a couple of screenshots from my PC:

Not sure if they help...
Old Jan 2, 2005, 07:30 PM   #12
Nascar24

Hmmm, Not sure what to suggest now, Heres a link to the thread with people with all kinds of issues with this card, Your not the only one. This thread is huge.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=393949
Old Jan 2, 2005, 07:33 PM   #13
Nascar24

Also dont worry about the error dialog box, Mine gives me all kinds of errors as well but seems to work fine after I moved my files over. ATI's software for this card is BIGTIME in need of alot of work.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 08:07 PM   #14
meerkat154
Radeon R600

Quote:
Also dont worry about the error dialog box, Mine gives me all kinds of errors as well but seems to work fine after I moved my files over. ATI's software for this card is BIGTIME in need of alot of work.
Reminds me of the early Radeon days when ATI had the worst drivers (as far as I remember) in history.

What are they thinking? Sort of like introducing a killer new car but no one can get it to drive.

It takes an ATI employee to install

Ok - some progress now...I installed WebCAM XP which has a built in tuner and it works great! Guess it's just the ATI software which has the "clap".

Do you think I should hold onto the card until ATI releases stable drivers? $200 is expensive if it doesn't work in many cases.

Last edited by meerkat154 : Jan 2, 2005 at 08:34 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 08:46 PM   #15
Nascar24

Yea I picked up this card on a whim after I saw it online at compusa for $150. They have since raised the price on it, Im going to keep it, If you got it working I have to believe ATI will someday straighten this card out. The problems with their software is pretty bad. Picture is great on my CRT and should be better on my 20" widescreen LCD from Dell coming in a week or two. Ive spent too much money latly. ATI hasnt been to quick with getting it right though, This card has been out about 6 months.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 09:03 PM   #16
meerkat154
Radeon R600

Quote:
Yea I picked up this card on a whim after I saw it online at compusa for $150. They have since raised the price on it, Im going to keep it, If you got it working I have to believe ATI will someday straighten this card out. The problems with their software is pretty bad. Picture is great on my CRT and should be better on my 20" widescreen LCD from Dell coming in a week or two. Ive spent too much money latly. ATI hasnt been to quick with getting it right though, This card has been out about 6 months.
I know what you mean about spending too much $$$. My main rig has an endangered/rare X800 Platinum edition which I'm regretting since ATI already has another whole slew batch of cards out without the X800 ever seeing the light of day on any retail shelves.

What I'm afraid is that the HDTV2 will resolve all the issues and of course the drivers would not work on my 1st gen card.

Time to start a mass calling/email campaign to ATI to quit releasing alpha drivers/software.....
Old Jan 2, 2005, 09:10 PM   #17
Nascar24

Quote:
I know what you mean about spending too much $$$. My main rig has an endangered/rare X800 Platinum edition which I'm regretting since ATI already has another whole slew batch of cards out without the X800 ever seeing the light of day on any retail shelves.

What I'm afraid is that the HDTV2 will resolve all the issues and of course the drivers would not work on my 1st gen card.

Time to start a mass calling/email campaign to ATI to quit releasing alpha drivers/software.....
No doubt about the money thing, Also bought a Hard drive DVD recorder this last week as well, My credit card is on fire. . I went the cheap route on the X800 line and got only the pro. Also upgraded my system to an A64 3400+ in the last month as well. Ive been in a huge upgrade mode after not doing anything for 2 years.
Yea ATI's software for the HDTV wonder are very much Alpha seeing all the problems everyone is having with them. I dont think they will be coming out with a new HDTV card in the near future so I wouldnt worry about that if I were you. They will fix it someday, Could be a while though I think.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 09:22 PM   #18
grog
No longer on Rage3d

Maybe we need to get back to basics here.

1.) Do you have "Windows Media Encoder 9" installed? (not Windows Media Player... The encoder). This is required.

2.) Does DTV work? It sound from the posting that MMC/TV+ is not working but you did not say if DTV was working or not.

3.) What does the "ATI Multimedia Center Configuration" tab "TV" show for the "Primary Capture Device". It should say "ATI DTV Wonder Analog AV Capture".

4.) What ATI components do you have installed.
Should be install in the order shown:

WinXP CATALYST Windows XP 4.12 - Driver
http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/w...2&submit=GO%21

Windows Media Encoder 9
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...r/default.aspx

HDTV WONDER Windows XP Software
http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/w...8&submit=GO%21
Should be installed in this order:
a.) DAO / MDAC
b.) HDTV WONDER Drivers
c.) DTV Decoder
d.) Multimedia Center

One last question. Is this a retail 9600 or some other manufacturer?

Hope this helps.

Greg

Quote:
Still no luck...this is SO frustrating. I've been building PC's for 15 years and ultimately always figure out these head-aches. I would hate to return this product. Makes no sense that most folks have no issues installing the card.

Here's a couple of screenshots from my PC:

Not sure if they help...
Old Jan 3, 2005, 07:28 AM   #19
meerkat154
Radeon R600

Greg,
To answer your helpful suggestions:

I have the Windows Media 9 encoder installed.

DTV works fine.

It does show Primary Capture Device as "ATI DTV Wonder Analog AV". This was fixed when I added the PATH changes.

I have a retail genuine ATI 9600XP - no third party video card. The current Catalyst 4.12 are installed and DirectX 9.0c has also been verified. My primary display has been tested with 3DMark 2003 with no issues.

Do you know if ATI releases beta drivers to the public? I know they do with the Catalyst series.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 08:42 AM   #20
meerkat154
Radeon R600

Last night I reformated drive and installed MCE 2005.

Now here's the shocker - everything works! All right I just jinxed myself

Can't figure what I did different from the Windows XP Pro SP2 install I had before.

Now I have to figure out why my webcam software stopped working. When I click the tuner button nothing happens. Fun fun....

I hear MCE 2005 has a built in TV tuner but I can't seem to locate it anywere. Is that a seperate install?
Thanks,
Mabus