Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jan 20, 2021, 09:39 PM   #361
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
KAC
RGB mofo, do you have it!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
CPU-Z - Single thread 625.4
Multi Thread 8587.5
Cinebench R20 - 7868
Geekbench 5 - Single-Core - 1590
Multi-Core - 13535
AIDA64 6.32 - Read 54160
Thanks for running those. There is a size able difference in performance. Mine benches quite high compared to yours. However, it is definitely not benching at the top. It might be because I didn’t pay 400 for RAM.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2021, 10:25 PM   #362
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Thanks for running those. There is a size able difference in performance. Mine benches quite high compared to yours. However, it is definitely not benching at the top. It might be because I didn’t pay 400 for RAM.
In all honesty your probably talking a gain of 1 FPS though. But I guess if messing with settings to get the most out of it is enjoyable to you then I guess no harm done. I just dont care enough about that 1 frame though and in all honesty the cpu isn’t holding you back, it’s the current graphics cards.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2021, 02:20 AM   #363
KAC

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Just to complete this thread. After experimenting a shite metric ton, I decided to go back to default PBO without any voltage controls. Reason for that is that it gave me the most stable outcomes in terms of performance. I ended up w/ +200 MHz on PBO (5.15 Gs SC boost), default volts, default platform thermal limits etc., IF 1867/DDR4 3733, CL16-19-19-19-39-65-1T. It scores highest in CBR20 (with exception of 4.7 Gs all core clock that scored 9100). I tweaked the memory also. Ended up w/ these results.

CPU-Z ~650/9700
Geekbench 1676/14969
CBR20 ~630/8630
AIDA ~56.7 Gs/62 ns

I also replaced a couple of Corsair ML120 fans (got free replacement from Corsair) and synced the RGB. Did some cable management and now the computer looks as below. Max temps I see are 81 C in CBR20 but normally 70-75 C in most games. In COD BOCW it does hit around 85 C (during menus not sure why ). However, in game it is usually around the 78-80 C mark. As far as I understand this is normal operating behavior.

Time to enjoy this beast. Btw all stability tests passed and no WHEA errors or random reboots after 3-5 days of computer being idle. I wanted to try custom water cooling as well but it was about 800 bucks to cool CPU/GPU w/ two radiators. I really don't think it is worth the time, effort and maintenance. As you can see I top mounted my rad again allowing for all component temps to go back to normal especially my graphics card that runs at 62-63 C max load w/ overclock to 2 Gs/20.5 Gs at only 1800 RPM (inaudible).

Hope this helps someone .
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 23, 2021, 02:44 AM   #364
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

KAC: People already told to let PBO do it's thing and just tweak the memory.You just prove their point.Well .... you wanted to wrestle with the beast..At least you aquire some intimate knowledge about it.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 04:23 AM   #365
KAC

For me it was worth experimenting and trying out different things. At the end I did learn a lot about the bios, the quirks of overclocking AMD, finding the right balance between volts and temps and more about how the platform works. This wouldn't have been possible if I didn't put in the effort.

Btw if you do compare the work that I did significantly (as in synthetic benchmarks) improved the overall performance of the rig than defaults (you can compare my results with Nascar24's who is sporting a very similar system). So it wasn't all in vain and I don't think it is correct to say that "we told to let PBO do it's thing". I did end up changing a few things here and there to improve PBO performance as well.

Finally, the whole ordeal was not only about performance but also about temperatures and highest possible "sustained" boost clocks.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 07:05 AM   #366
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
For me it was worth experimenting and trying out different things. At the end I did learn a lot about the bios, the quirks of overclocking AMD, finding the right balance between volts and temps and more about how the platform works. This wouldn't have been possible if I didn't put in the effort.

Btw if you do compare the work that I did significantly (as in synthetic benchmarks) improved the overall performance of the rig than defaults (you can compare my results with Nascar24's who is sporting a very similar system). So it wasn't all in vain and I don't think it is correct to say that "we told to let PBO do it's thing". I did end up changing a few things here and there to improve PBO performance as well.

Finally, the whole ordeal was not only about performance but also about temperatures and highest possible "sustained" boost clocks.
Well ... i am happy that there is another that got the time to experiment.If i will ever get a similar system i will ask you. I really hope you enjoy some gaming from now with now all the technical stuff out of the way.
Anyway regarding the COD menu i can say that from my experience if i am, not limiting my FPS intentionaly the rig is coil winning big time.In games menus i saw 300 fps sometimes.The high fps put much strain on GPU so coil whine is present.Games menus actually evolved to cinematic stuff in the background and very complex animations..I have vega56 reference blower and limiting fps for sound and coil whine.
The ironic thing is i do undervolt my vega56. Well both products are AMD...

Last edited by badsykes : Jan 23, 2021 at 07:10 AM.
badsykes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2021, 11:46 PM   #367
KAC

Some more tweaking. This time with curve optimizer.

Geekbench 1712/15203
CPU-Z 680/9915
AIDA64 - 56.8Gs / 61 ns

CO updated settings.
Best cores -15
All others -10

Need to wait 3-5 days for WHEA errors.

Last edited by KAC : Jan 24, 2021 at 02:33 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 08:03 AM   #368
KAC

To experiment further in reducing temps I ordered 3 Noctua NF-A12X25 PWM brown fans. I will also order a spray paint can of black to coat the damn thing. Will first see how the performance goes. I only need to paint the side as the fan itself I can live with brown as it won’t be visible from anywhere.

I read a lot about gays getting Arctic and EK AIOs but seems like they are getting same cooling results as me with top mounted rad. Let’s see if this does anything to reduce temps. Should be here in about 7-10 days.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 08:18 AM   #369
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

How are you going to protect the fan from paint getting in the motor and bearings? How do you know if the paint will affect acoustics or performance?

Spray painting the fan is a terrible idea.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2021, 08:23 AM   #370
Higgy10

Higgy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
How are you going to protect the fan from paint getting in the motor and bearings? How do you know if the paint will affect acoustics or performance?

Spray painting the fan is a terrible idea.
yup it is, a poor spray job could unbalance the fan as well
Higgy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2021, 08:27 AM   #371
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy10 View Post
yup it is, a poor spray job could unbalance the fan as well
I didn't even think of that, but yup, that's actually the most likely thing that will happen. Paint getting in the motor/bearings and burning it out quickly, and the fan making a **** ton of noise because it's off-balance.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Jan 24, 2021, 08:31 AM   #372
Higgy10

Higgy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
I didn't even think of that, but yup, that's actually the most likely thing that will happen. Paint getting in the motor/bearings and burning it out quickly, and the fan making a **** ton of noise because it's off-balance.
https://www.amazon.ca/Graco-Cordless...36732895&psc=1

if kac had one of those with a 4" ff lp tip, a roll of frog tape he might be able to pull it off
Higgy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2021, 09:29 AM   #373
KAC

Gays, gays, gays. First thing I said is I will spray paint the side. The other alternative is to use a black tape around the side (all ghetto like). I had no intention of spray painting the fan. Just literally one side of the fan that faces outward in the case w/ sufficient masking tape to cover it from spreading elsewhere.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 10:43 AM   #374
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Gays, gays, gays. First thing I said is I will spray paint the side. The other alternative is to use a black tape around the side (all ghetto like). I had no intention of spray painting the fan. Just literally one side of the fan that faces outward in the case w/ sufficient masking tape to cover it from spreading elsewhere.
Okay, I see what you're saying. For that, I would do the tape rather than spraying it. You don't want to risk overspray getting anywhere near the fan blades or motor.

When it's a KAC idea, I always assume the worst. I'm sorry
Old Jan 24, 2021, 10:58 AM   #375
KAC

Not all my ideas are bad (except building an AMD rig and trying to overclock it and then cool it then buying RGB fans and then buying Noctua fans to counter the RGB fans).
Old Jan 24, 2021, 10:59 AM   #376
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Lmfao

Imagine if you had done what I recommended you to do. The money that would have been saved! (and the better performance cough)
Old Jan 24, 2021, 10:59 AM   #377
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:

Not all my ideas are bad (except building an AMD rig and trying to overclock it and then cool it then buying RGB fans and then buying Noctua fans to counter the RGB fans).
It's been a great ride watching you build and test this.

I'll go hug my 8086K now....

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2021, 11:01 AM   #378
KAC

Quote:
Lmfao

Imagine if you had done what I recommended you to do. The money that would have been saved! (and the better performance cough)
I no longer have any recollection of what you told me to do.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 11:21 AM   #379
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

.... and the intel RKL is comming in march..
.... and Alder Lake is comming in 2h 2021
.... and AMD will come with something too

There will be an entire movie for each one from KAC .... Prepare a huge quantity of popcorn in the basement.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 12:57 PM   #380
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
To experiment further in reducing temps I ordered 3 Noctua NF-A12X25 PWM brown fans. I will also order a spray paint can of black to coat the damn thing. Will first see how the performance goes. I only need to paint the side as the fan itself I can live with brown as it won’t be visible from anywhere.

I read a lot about gays getting Arctic and EK AIOs but seems like they are getting same cooling results as me with top mounted rad. Let’s see if this does anything to reduce temps. Should be here in about 7-10 days.
WTF Just get the gray ones like I did... they look nice.

Painting will destroy those fans.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.2.2, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 21.2.2. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2021, 12:58 PM   #381
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post

The grey ones are not A12x25s.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 01:02 PM   #382
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

I feel KAC subconsciously may want to destroy the AMD ...
Old Jan 24, 2021, 01:07 PM   #383
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Ah... kind of overkill to get that extra 2-3 cfm. Get the grey p12 ones. Or shine a led light on them to change the color.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.2.2, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 21.2.2. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2021, 01:08 PM   #384
KAC

Quote:

Which grey ones are you referring to? I didn’t see them anywhere.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 01:10 PM   #385
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

He's talking about the old line of noctuas, one of the most overrated case fans in history.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2021, 01:11 PM   #386
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Ah... kind of overkill to get that extra 2-3 cfm. Get the grey p12 ones. Or shine a led light on them to change the color.
It's more than just the cfm. The A12x25 are incredibly silent due to the motor and blade design. Even at 1300rpm, they're mostly inaudible.

The grey ones are the Noctua REDUX series. They're also good fans, but using the older bearing and motor design. https://noctua.at/en/products/fan/redux
Old Jan 24, 2021, 11:25 PM   #387
KAC

Well we will see what’s what. Fans already shipped. I love Amazon. Coming all the way from USA and still cheaper than buying locally (almost impossible to find here too).

Free prime shipping too.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 01:22 PM   #388
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Well we will see what’s what. Fans already shipped. I love Amazon. Coming all the way from USA and still cheaper than buying locally (almost impossible to find here too).

Free prime shipping too.

Prime shipping works internationally too? lol

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2021, 01:31 PM   #389
KAC

Yup, UAE has prime shipping since Amazon officially launched here maybe 1-2 years ago.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 04:41 PM   #390
howard stern
Radeon Northern Islands

howard stern can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyhoward stern can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I have been messing around with some new functions in the latest bios called the curve optimizer.

My initial single core score in cpu-z was 620 on my 5800x. After tweaking all of the curve optimizer settings I am able to hit 682 on single core and 6904 on multi-thread. Its a lot of fun to play with I do have one bad core the best setting is neg 10 in bios, all other cores I can do neg 20.

walked into Micro center last weekend and they had a boat load of 5800x and one Asus Tuf RTX 3080 in stock. Grabbed both since its a 2 hour drive each way.

Running prime 95 default setting I am getting 4.850 mhz on all cores for the first 10 minutes until some heavier workloads kick in then drops to 4.7 on all cores. The chip still gets hot around 80c during peak workloads.

Stays cool during gaming though and hits peak frequencies.
howard stern is offline   Reply With Quote