Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Nov 29, 2021, 10:24 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Eisberg
Radeon Arctic Islands

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Default Does it normally take this long to clone a hard drive to an SSD?

So here is the hardware being used:

Acer Nitro 5 with:
Ryzen 5 2500U CPU
16GB DDR4 2400 Memory
1TB 7200RPM HDD 2.5 inch

Insignia 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub that is connected to the USB 3.0 port on laptop

Transfering data from 1TB HDD in laptop, which is the only drive in the laptop to this SSD:

SK hynix Gold S31 1TB SATA Gen3 (560MB/s read, 525MB/s write)

is it currently connected to the Insignia USB hub using this

Sabrent USB 3.0 to SSD / 2.5-Inch SATA I/II/III Hard Drive Adapter

So that is all the hardware that is involved with this process.

I am using SK Hynix cloning software. I started this process at 10:50am yesterday, and it is now 8:22 AM right now, and it is only 65% done.

This is massively long, is this normal for cloning a drive? If not, what do you think is the bottleneck in this process?
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2021, 11:05 AM   #2
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

How much data is on the laptop's HDD?

Also, regardless of the SSD's theoretical write speeds, you're limited by the read speed of the HDD and its fragmentation level.

Lots of variables. Going through the hub might cause unnecessary overhead as well. Try connecting the SSD directly to the laptop's USB 3.0 port and see if that helps.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2021, 11:12 AM   #3
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Open up Task Manager and you can see the data transfer rate.

I'd guess its USB bottleneck and/or software verifying data.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 29, 2021, 04:19 PM   #4
QEFX
AIW Rage Pro Turbo

QEFX can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyQEFX can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

A year or two ago I cloned over a 2 TB HDD of games, it was failing, and the last thing I wanted was to reinstall stuff (ya ya lazy) it took about 50 hours.

That said, it was a HDD to HDD through a sketchy USB Hub with full verification and stuff running in the background (since it actually goes HDD -> Hub -> computer -> Hub -> other HDD).

So slow, but not impossible that it's actually still doing it's thing.

And before anybody chimes in about how stupid it was to put it back on a HDD, I got a screaming boxing day deal on 8TB HDDs ($125 CDN each vs $200 or so - stock in store while it lasted - so I bough 8 of them). 4 are set-up as daily backups for "friends" who can't be trusted to do regular backups but it's somehow my fault they keep clicking the "not now" button until things go sideways.
GOG: ITHAQUACDN
Battle.Net: <Account is dead ... for now>
Marvel FF: ITHAQUACDN

Last edited by QEFX : Nov 29, 2021 at 04:27 PM.
QEFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2021, 12:49 PM   #5
Eisberg
Radeon Arctic Islands

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by QEFX View Post
A year or two ago I cloned over a 2 TB HDD of games, it was failing, and the last thing I wanted was to reinstall stuff (ya ya lazy) it took about 50 hours.

That said, it was a HDD to HDD through a sketchy USB Hub with full verification and stuff running in the background (since it actually goes HDD -> Hub -> computer -> Hub -> other HDD).

So slow, but not impossible that it's actually still doing it's thing.
So for mine it took 36 hours for completion.

After everything was done I decided to do some tests. I used crystal mark before removing the HDD, and used Crystal mark on the SSD while connected to the HUB and while connected internally to the laptop. I also checked fragmentation of the HDD which it was sitting at 2% fragmented, which is extremely low.

What I found is for the SSD, it being connected to the HUB with that USB to SATA device, I lost about 20% of it's performance compared to what I got when inside the Laptop, and it being connected to the HUB was still massively faster than the HDD anyways. So of course the fastest the process could go would be dependent on the read speed of the HDD.

So overall it was a combination of slow read speed of the HDD along with cloning process just takes a very long time anyways.

I am glad I did this upgrade, the laptop actually feels like a new laptop, basically a $90 upgrade ($78 for the SSD, and $12 for the USB to SATA cable) made it feel like a new faster laptop.
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.

Last edited by Eisberg : Nov 30, 2021 at 01:05 PM.
Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2021, 12:37 AM   #6
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Eisberg, there is nothing normal about your life.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote