Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old May 23, 2009, 01:58 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Perky McGiggles
I see what you did there

Perky McGiggles is still being judged by the masses

Default Games bought from Steam that don't work with Steam

I'm beginning to think we need a thread on this. So far I've only bought three Steam games which don't work with Steam completely, or not at all. Had I known they didn't work on Steam I wouldn't have bought them, so maybe we can save others here the trouble and make a list of known Steam bought games that won't work with it, or at least don't work as their retail counter parts do.

1701 A.D. Gold - Everything works fine except for multiplayer, you can't play people with retail copies of the game, only other Steam owners.

Rainbow Six 3: Gold - Multiplayer won't work because Punkbuster kicks the Steam client out of PB games. Only works if you create a server without it enabled (or join one).

ArmA: Armed Assault/Combat Operations - Won't work at all in Vista/7 (Possibly XP). Steam version is only at 1.08 and the game requires 1.14 (or beta 1.16) to be able to run correctly. You have to manually download the patch and install it. Even then, the game still will not launch with Steam, you'll get a 'Game is busy' error. You have to add a 'Non-steam game' shortcut and then change the shortcut target to "E:\Steam\steamapps\common\arma armed assault\beta\arma.exe" -mod=beta -nosplash". E: being your drive Steam it's installed to of course.

I'll try and update this OP if there appears there are quite a bit more.
name, so sayeth the Lord.
- Penguins 22, chapter 3, verse 8
Perky McGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 02:03 PM   #2
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

spindoctor is still being judged by the masses

stalker soc is kind of like this too... the game on steam is 1.005 while all the multiplayer servers are (apparently) 1.006 so it's not possible to play on them. then again, i believe 1.006 is not an official patch and it was recalled by the developers so...
spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 02:30 PM   #3
genci88
lololololol

genci88 is still being judged by the masses

lol proprietary DRM platform.

- The hardest thing about getting a Mac is telling your parents that you're gay.

- If I had the choice between being gay and owning a Mac, I would rather be gay, because if I owned a Mac I would be both gay and own a horrible computer.

- Imagine a giant cock flying towards your mouth, and there's nothing you can do about it. And you're like "Oh man, I'm gonna have to suck this thing", and you brace yourself to suck this giant cock. But then, at the last moment, it changes trajectory and hits you in the eye. You think to yourself "Well, at least I got that out of the way", but then the giant cock rears back and stabs your eye again, and again, and again. Eventually, this giant cock is penetrating your gray matter, and you begin to lose control of your motor skills. That's when the giant cock slaps you across the cheek, causing you to fall out of your chair. Unable to move and at your most vulnerable, the giant cock finally lodges itself in your anus, where it rests comfortably for 4, maybe 5 hours. That's what using Mac OSX is like.
genci88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 23, 2009, 02:34 PM   #4
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

Stupid developers not suppling patches to steam...Thats what that sounds like.

"we updated our game, but won't bother to tell steam to update their files! WooWoo"

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
:heart: I took a few weeks off, but Rage is like a home away from home.
A2597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 03:00 PM   #5
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

spyre is still being judged by the masses

Steam dont patch games with beta patches apparently (which is why IL-2 Sturmovik hasn't been updated to the latest patch) so if the ARMA devs released a none beta patch and gave it to Valve it would probably get updated on Steam.
Old May 23, 2009, 03:10 PM   #6
Perky McGiggles
I see what you did there

Well 1.14 isn't BETA, and it is not on Steam. I used 1.16 because it helps those of us with Vista, 4GB memory, and dual core processors. Although, ATi users benefit the most from the ArmA beta patches.

And while I think a fair amount of blame should go to the developers not properly supporting their game on Steam, Valve should share some responsibility as well. Either by putting a disclaimer, or removing the product completely. I realize they can't fix games that aren't their own, but I'm sure if they pressured these developers/publishers to get their game working correctly on their platform it would help. I mean, if they took ArmA down maybe then the devs would be more eager to fix the game on Steam so it can be sold again.

Last edited by Perky McGiggles : May 23, 2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old May 23, 2009, 04:02 PM   #7
Jet Black
Radeon Sea Islands

Jet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird sings

I agree with this. It seems like common sense for Steam to indicate whether a game is fully functional or not.

Reminds me of a few weeks ago at Wal-Mart. I always look at the PC game section to see how pathetic it is (it wasn't half bad, but not great) and they had about 20 copies of Tabula Rasa there on sale. I didn't see any warning about the game saying that their servers were all shut down.
Jet Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 05:43 PM   #8
[email protected]
Radeon R420

sAnt@ is still being judged by the masses

sAnt@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 08:16 PM   #9
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perky McGiggles View Post
Well 1.14 isn't BETA, and it is not on Steam. I used 1.16 because it helps those of us with Vista, 4GB memory, and dual core processors. Although, ATi users benefit the most from the ArmA beta patches.

And while I think a fair amount of blame should go to the developers not properly supporting their game on Steam, Valve should share some responsibility as well.
Valve is just giving third party devs the keys to the platform. Its upto them to use it properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 08:53 PM   #10
Perky McGiggles
I see what you did there

Read the rest of what you cut off my quote. Valve should take off the games if they aren't supported right. It's called quality control.
Old May 23, 2009, 09:37 PM   #11
FiggyG
Radeon Caribbean Islands

FiggyG once held a door open for a complete strangerFiggyG once held a door open for a complete strangerFiggyG once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Read the rest of what you cut off my quote. Valve should take off the games if they aren't supported right. It's called quality control.
Quality control doesn't seem to be a high priority for Valve. They are focusing on selling lots of games through their platform via free game weekends and deals. However, on the free weekend, the demand is so crushing that people who already paid for their game can't play it. I love not being able to launch Left 4 Dead with a steam server unavailable message. I wouldn't expect them to ensure that games are fully compatible with their platform at this point. All that they want is their cut. I've opted to never purchase games again through Steam and games that tie into their platform.
FiggyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009, 01:19 AM   #12
javiermq
Radeon Volcanic Islands

javiermq is still being judged by the masses

The more reason to avoid steam at all costs.
02:55 Mackey-IW
No, PC has custom stuff like mouse control, text chat in game, and graphics settings.

Steam's Logic on currency: $1 =€1
The euro is just a european version of the dollar! ITS TEH SAME THING!!
javiermq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009, 01:34 AM   #13
Perky McGiggles
I see what you did there

Ugh, I really didn't want to get a "Steam sucks" thread going on. Steam has been awesome (except for these cases) to me, and I prefer it over any other form of purchasing games. However, it doesn't mean it's perfect. Steam can always become better, and the first thing they can do is start by doing some quality control and either getting the developers to support these games on their platform, or stop selling them.
Old May 24, 2009, 01:37 AM   #14
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

Sweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
Valve is just giving third party devs the keys to the platform. Its upto them to use it properly.
Although I love Steam, I do believe Valve has some responsibility to make sure that 3rd party devs are supporting the Steam version of their games properly because it's Valve's system that makes the games incompatible with the retail patches in the first place.
Sweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009, 01:42 AM   #15
javiermq
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
Ugh, I really didn't want to get a "Steam sucks" thread going on. Steam has been awesome (except for these cases) to me, and I prefer it over any other form of purchasing games. However, it doesn't mean it's perfect. Steam can always become better, and the first thing they can do is start by doing some quality control and either getting the developers to support these games on their platform, or stop selling them.
They wont do that. remember when they only fixed a problem with a game not working on steam only after it was on the major game media outlets? They are only concerned with selling as much gamers as possible with their weekend deals, nothing more, not supporting the games, not answering customers questions. I don't think they're concerned about making games anymore, their last games were all bought from 3rd parties, and theres no sign of episode 3 of some game they were making whose title I forgot what was it was called.
No, PC has custom stuff like mouse control, text chat in game, and graphics settings.

Old May 24, 2009, 01:48 AM   #16
javiermq
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Im not stating my position, just stating the factual information so that potential buyers can make their own informed decisions.

Old May 24, 2009, 07:50 AM   #17
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

t0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Pretty much, if it ain't on steam, then I won't buy it. I like steam alot.

that being said.

Even though, I haven't had any problems with steam, I do think that developers should support a game with the latest patches if they want to use steam as a retail method.
t0adp1p3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009, 07:54 AM   #18
genci88
lololololol

genci88 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0adp1p3 View Post
Which means that all your games will go down the ****ter when Steam closes shop.

- The hardest thing about getting a Mac is telling your parents that you're gay.

- If I had the choice between being gay and owning a Mac, I would rather be gay, because if I owned a Mac I would be both gay and own a horrible computer.

- Imagine a giant cock flying towards your mouth, and there's nothing you can do about it. And you're like "Oh man, I'm gonna have to suck this thing", and you brace yourself to suck this giant cock. But then, at the last moment, it changes trajectory and hits you in the eye. You think to yourself "Well, at least I got that out of the way", but then the giant cock rears back and stabs your eye again, and again, and again. Eventually, this giant cock is penetrating your gray matter, and you begin to lose control of your motor skills. That's when the giant cock slaps you across the cheek, causing you to fall out of your chair. Unable to move and at your most vulnerable, the giant cock finally lodges itself in your anus, where it rests comfortably for 4, maybe 5 hours. That's what using Mac OSX is like.
genci88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009, 08:29 AM   #19
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0adp1p3 View Post

that being said.

Even though, I haven't had any problems with steam, I do think that developers should support a game with the latest patches if they want to use steam as a retail method.
I wish I could do this, but in sweden retail games costs 30-36€ and new games on steam costs 49€.

The "steam tax" is a bit too much for me.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009, 08:50 AM   #20
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by genci88 View Post
Which means that all your games will go down the ****ter when Steam closes shop.
quit spreading that false rumour.

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
:heart: I took a few weeks off, but Rage is like a home away from home.
A2597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009, 09:21 AM   #21
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by genci88 View Post
Yeah but when I die of old age I probably wont be playing many games.

Plus you also know that isn't true.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009, 10:22 AM   #22
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Perhaps we should start ragging on those devs, whos games dont work on Steam. Get their butts into gear.. But really, bitching to the devs of the game, might be a better route.

I dont own many non Valve games on Steam at this point, so I havent had the issues or read much about the issues that you are speaking of.

However, knowing some of the model, its basically just like handing the keys to the devs and giving them instructions.
Quote:
Old May 24, 2009, 10:55 AM   #23
SteveButabi
Did you just grab my ass?

SteveButabi is still being judged by the masses

I remember reading a few threads on the steam forums for games where people were complaining about the newest patch not being on steam yet and someone from valve actually posted saying they would try and contact the devs.

Clear Sky was one of the games. There was a patch that fixed a lot of crashing and it wasn't on steam still for weeks, then after the valve guy said he'd look into it, the patch was up a few days later.

So I think they will make an effort if enough people bring it to their attention, maybe they just don't know? but they can only go so far. The people who made the game still have to get off their asses and give them the updates.
SteveButabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009, 02:52 PM   #24
Perky McGiggles
I see what you did there

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
Perhaps we should start ragging on those devs, whos games dont work on Steam. Get their butts into gear.. But really, bitching to the devs of the game, might be a better route.

I dont own many non Valve games on Steam at this point, so I havent had the issues or read much about the issues that you are speaking of.

However, knowing some of the model, its basically just like handing the keys to the devs and giving them instructions.
Again, yes the devs are responsible. But Valve also has the ability to take off non-working games from their platform, as they should. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.
Old May 24, 2009, 03:08 PM   #25
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Again, yes the devs are responsible. But Valve also has the ability to take off non-working games from their platform, as they should.
but all the games you mentioned in the first post do work, in one way or another. the fact that the game doesn't have the latest patch, punkbuster makes it crash, or it doesnt work on newer OS'es doesn't mean you cant sell the game.

Retail stores sell games will limited compatibility,shut down game servers, etc too, dont they?
GanjaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009, 03:12 PM   #26
Perky McGiggles
I see what you did there

Had I been aware of it though I wouldn't have bought them on Steam. Which is why I feel a disclaimer is needed, or make them not able to be bought at all. I had to jump through a lot of hoops to get ARMA working, things I would not have had to do if I bought the retail version of the game. Instead of buying 1701 on Steam to play with a friend, I would have found the retail version for much less money. Same with Rainbow Six 3. And those are just the ones I know about it.

I made this thread hoping people could contribute more games that are not fully functional on Steam so people (like me) can avoid them, but it seems everyone just wants to piss on Steam instead, or unnecessarily defend it. It's getting old.
Old May 24, 2009, 03:24 PM   #27
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

spyre is still being judged by the masses

I guess you could fix Raven Shield 3 Gold by getting hold of the core.dll file from someone who has the shop bought version of the game. If it still doesn't work after that then a file compaire between the retail and steam version to see what is messed up. Thats assuming the retail version works with punkbuster too. Since Punkbuster may only work with the two separate raven shield 3 games not the combined gold version.

Then at least people would have a work around as I cant see Ubisoft caring or Valve doing anything about it.
Old May 24, 2009, 03:27 PM   #28
NIGELG
Fire of Unknown Origin

NIGELG can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyNIGELG can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I don't buy games from Steam but isn't the principle the same when you buy a DVD game from a store?It's not sure to work unless you install and see for yourself.The store is not obligated to stop selling the game because it doesn't work on a particular system....
NIGELG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009, 03:59 PM   #29
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
I made this thread hoping people could contribute more games that are not fully functional on Steam so people (like me) can avoid them, but it seems everyone just wants to piss on Steam instead, or unnecessarily defend it. It's getting old.
I understand your frustration becuase money doesn't grow on trees. I would be equally pissed off if I bought a game and it didn't work just because of steam, but it never happend to me so far.

The thread is definitely a good idea, and with a bit of mod cleaning it could become a nice guide for those of us who buy a lot of stuff from steam. I just think we don't need to argue whose fault it is for the shortcomings,and what valve should do about it. Steam forums are for that IMO, or simply another thread.

Just listing the games that have issues over steam sounds more reasonable to me, kinda like the win7 games compatibility thread.So far only the first post contains any relevant information to what you set out to do. the rest is as yu said, craping on steam or defending it.

It is helpful to know that the 3 games you bought do have real issues that limit their playability just because of steam, and I thank you for that
GanjaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009, 07:15 PM   #30
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

Quote:
Again, yes the devs are responsible. But Valve also has the ability to take off non-working games from their platform, as they should. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.
Why should they? They are making a buck off someone elses **** up? Business as usual? How are they responsible?

Every retail business out there sells ****ed up **** in their stores that doesnt work and makes millions off it (without actually owning the product)

Hows Valve different from this business model? Im confused?
Quote: