Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Jan 29, 2014, 09:58 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

somewon is still being judged by the masses

Default 2014 Honda CRV vs 2014 Nissan Rogue

I've been looking at both of these two as options for the wife and our new baby boy.
I was previously leaning toward the Honda based on various reviews centered around safety and reliability, but I can't get over how bad it looks inside and out compared to the new Rogue, which also ranks high overall (still waiting for safety numbers to come in from Crash tests).
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...-Compact-SUVs/

Thoughts?

Alternatively, I could also forgo the entire Compact SUV route and just buy an Infiniti G37 (2013 model with 20K miles) for the same price as one of these higher level trim SUV's.

Budget is constantly fluctuating, but I'd be willing to spend up to $26K pre tax, title, etc.
somewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:48 AM   #2
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

switchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Toyota RAV4 in the running?

I just sold my wife's Tiguan -- we were really happy with that as well.
switchAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:17 AM   #3
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by switch911 View Post
Toyota RAV4 in the running?

I just sold my wife's Tiguan -- we were really happy with that as well.
Haven't given it much thought to be honest, but I certainly wouldn't rule it out.
It would probably take a few really good solid reviews for me to be convinced however, but starting out with this one ( http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...-Compact-SUVs/ ), it left me wanting...

Also, big fan of VW's, drive a Passat myself, but we haven't really given too much consideration to the Tiguan -- as with the Rav4, a few solid reviews may convince me otherwise.

Honestly, it's just so hard to get past those rankings on sites such as USNews, Car & Driver, etc., as they do skew my perspective.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:21 AM   #4
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

I'd go with the Rogue, but I'm biased. I think they are an incredible value for the money. (The 2014, not the 13).

For a first year vehicle, so far it seems going well. No recalls yet, haven't seen any common issues rise up. But then again, they've only been around 3 months.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:33 AM   #5
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
I'd go with the Rogue, but I'm biased. I think they are an incredible value for the money. (The 2014, not the 13).

For a first year vehicle, so far it seems going well. No recalls yet, haven't seen any common issues rise up. But then again, they've only been around 3 months.
I was extremely close to signing a deal with the Honda dealership for the CRV just two days ago until I reevaluated the 2014 Rogue (agreed, not the 13).

It really does seem like an amazing deal inside and out, but I am hesitant to pull the trigger until those safety rating results come in (and they may have, just haven't found them).

We are anxious to purchase as we are down to one vehicle now (sold both of our older used cars last week), and would like to seal the proverbial deal by end of week if possible.

On that note, any IIHS, NHTSA, Crash Test, etc. results that you may know of that I could check out...I googled a bit a few days ago, but the googles did nothing?

By the way, is it safe to assume you own a 2014 Rogue?
Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:54 AM   #6
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

switchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I am a little wary of the "ratings" -- to me every make has lemons and they are all under warranty. Assuming it has a good safety rating and all the options you want, it is just preference.

When I was looking at mid sized SUVs the ones in the first 5 rating spots we had no interest in.

That said, I don't think you can go wrong with Honda or Nissan.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 12:03 PM   #7
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewon View Post
I was extremely close to signing a deal with the Honda dealership for the CRV just two days ago until I reevaluated the 2014 Rogue (agreed, not the 13).

It really does seem like an amazing deal inside and out, but I am hesitant to pull the trigger until those safety rating results come in (and they may have, just haven't found them).

We are anxious to purchase as we are down to one vehicle now (sold both of our older used cars last week), and would like to seal the proverbial deal by end of week if possible.

On that note, any IIHS, NHTSA, Crash Test, etc. results that you may know of that I could check out...I googled a bit a few days ago, but the googles did nothing?

By the way, is it safe to assume you own a 2014 Rogue?
No, I am a Service Advisor for a Nissan dealership.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old Jan 29, 2014, 05:04 PM   #8
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

How about a Mazda CX-5? I'm really digging the Skyactiv stuff lately.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 06:49 PM   #9
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by curio View Post
That is a fine choice. I'm torn between a Subaru WRX or Mazda CX-5. The 2.5 liter Grand Touring with tech package is very nice. The blind spot monitoring is really cool I tried it out on the freeway when I was testing one. I think next year will have cross traffic alert like the Mazda 3 where it warns you of cross traffic when backing out.

The 2 liter CX-5 sucks.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 07:23 PM   #10
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by curio View Post
Seems to be a fine choice as well, but can't seem to get over my own personal bias against Mazda based on a bad previous experience.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 12:41 AM   #11
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Ford Edge isn't in the running??
Desktop - Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Redshift | ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen 7 1700X | Hyper 212 EVO | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 512GB Intel 660p | 2TB Seagate 7200.12 | 16x LG BD-Burner | MSI Armor OC GeForce GTX 1080 | Tt ToughPower Grand RGB 750w | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 11:51 AM   #12
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

Well, I wasn't expecting yesterday to turn out the way that it did, but after a few phone calls from the dealership and an aggressive financing offer that is otherwise unavailable (as a means of matching Honda), I ended up with the 2014 Rogue SV in Cayenne Red.

Drove it home last night, going to hand it back to the dealership today to get leather added throughout.

Pricing + Financing were both right at around what I wanted but did not expect to receive, which is a big plus!

Wife loves the car by the way, but is now deathly afraid to drive it in fear of putting a blemish on it.

Never thought it would happen or at least not this soon, but looks like my VW Passat is now going into the driveway (who really has room in a 2 car garage for 2 cars these days).
Old Feb 3, 2014, 10:29 PM   #13
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
(who really has room in a 2 car garage for 2 cars these days).
My Aunt and Uncle fit their LR2 and LR3 in their 2 car garage. My grandparents in Florida used to fit my grandma's mark viii and my grandpa's silverado in their garage but then my grandpa wanted a ride on mower so he's been parking in the driveway since 1998
Desktop - Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Redshift | ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen 7 1700X | Hyper 212 EVO | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 512GB Intel 660p | 2TB Seagate 7200.12 | 16x LG BD-Burner | MSI Armor OC GeForce GTX 1080 | Tt ToughPower Grand RGB 750w | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:43 AM   #14
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowless View Post
My Aunt and Uncle fit their LR2 and LR3 in their 2 car garage. My grandparents in Florida used to fit my grandma's mark viii and my grandpa's silverado in their garage but then my grandpa wanted a ride on mower so he's been parking in the driveway since 1998
This weekend's project will be to clean out the garage in that case.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 11:32 AM   #15
swingline
Dab on them folks

swingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Subscriber

Quote:
going to hand it back to the dealership today to get leather added throughout.
"leather added" - what?
The man who in times of popular excitement boldly and unflinchingly resists hot-tempered clamor for an unnecessary war, and thus exposes himself to the opprobrious imputation of a lack of patriotism or of courage, to the end of saving his country from a great calamity, is, as to "loving and faithfully serving his country," at least as good a patriot as the hero of the most daring feat of arms, and a far better one than those who, with an ostentatious pretense of superior patriotism, cry for war before it is needed, especially if then they let others do the fighting. - Carl Schurz

RIP Jesse
swingline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2014, 11:51 AM   #16
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingline View Post
"leather added" - what?
Dealer installed.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2014, 11:53 AM   #17
swingline
Dab on them folks

swingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Subscriber

That sounds horrible.
The man who in times of popular excitement boldly and unflinchingly resists hot-tempered clamor for an unnecessary war, and thus exposes himself to the opprobrious imputation of a lack of patriotism or of courage, to the end of saving his country from a great calamity, is, as to "loving and faithfully serving his country," at least as good a patriot as the hero of the most daring feat of arms, and a far better one than those who, with an ostentatious pretense of superior patriotism, cry for war before it is needed, especially if then they let others do the fighting. - Carl Schurz

RIP Jesse
swingline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2014, 11:57 AM   #18
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingline View Post
That sounds horrible.
Depends on how good a job the dealer does and the warranty they provide you with.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2014, 03:10 PM   #19
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Depends on how good a job the dealer does and the warranty they provide you with.
Dealers don't install leather, it's always sublet. Generally don't have problems with it, but there are the few that do.

But it's definitely not the same quality as factory. And typically, cost more.
Quote:

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old Feb 5, 2014, 10:06 AM   #20
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

Looks like Nissan passed Honda in Monthly sales due to the huge sales of the Rogue.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/04/n...ad-over-honda/

Quote:
The five top-selling brands in the automotive industry are usually Ford, Toyota, Chevy, Honda and Nissan, in that order. This lineup emerged intact when counting a year's worth of sales for 2013, and there was no reason to expect it would change at the beginning of 2014. But it did. Thanks to surging sales of its all-new Rogue, Nissan managed to pull ahead of Honda to become the fourth best-selling auto brand in January 2014, selling 81,472 units (an increase of 10.41 percent compared to January 2013) to Honda's 80,808 (a decrease of 3.96 percent).

The Rogue led the way for Nissan, contributing an additional 4,880 units in January compared to the same month last year – a 54.5-percent increase for a grand total of 13,831 units. But the Rogue had help, with the Frontier pickup adding an extra 2,307 units (an 87.9-percent increase), the Juke an extra 1,081 units (a 45.8-percent increase), the Altima an extra 1,051 units (a 4.9-percent increase) and the Maxima an additional 983 units (a 32.9-percent increase). Honda, meanwhile, was hurt by falling sales of the Accord (down 13.9 percent) and Pilot (down 7.6 percent), and stagnant sales of the Civic.

Honda, however, should take pride in the fact that it's luxury division, Acura, outsold Infiniti, Nissan's luxury division, last month – 10,823 units sold to 8,998. That margin of victory was large enough to keep the parent company of American Honda ahead of Nissan North America for the month of January.
Quote:

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz

Last edited by CurrentlyPissed : Feb 5, 2014 at 10:12 AM.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 10:59 AM   #21
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Dealers don't install leather, it's always sublet. Generally don't have problems with it, but there are the few that do.

But it's definitely not the same quality as factory. And typically, cost more.
Exactly.
The car goes to a 3rd party that specializes in these areas, and this particular one has had 30+ years of experience.

Since the trim I went with, SV, didn't have leather as an option, the next trim up, SL, (highest trim available) did come with it but at a $4,000 premium for leather and a few other non-essential options.

On the other hand, for $1,500 I get to have leather and heated seats installed throughout, and pocket the $2,500 that I'd rather not spend on 18" vs 17" wheels, or a moonroof.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 11:03 AM   #22
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Looks like Nissan passed Honda in Monthly sales due to the huge sales of the Rogue.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/04/n...ad-over-honda/
Nice.
Can't say I'm too surprised however.
The CRV's that I test drove, from the basic to highest-end trim levels did not look or feel too appealing on any level (but I still get that they are great reliable cars).
There also didn't appear to be much changed between the previous model years and the 2014.

On the other hand, while I'm still waiting to have my 2014 Rogue returned to me (leather & Heated seats install), I was given a 2013 Rogue by the dealer to drive as a loaner.
Man, the difference in terms of quality, feel, and looks is night and day between the 2013 and 2014 Rogue's.

I can see why Nissan wasn't a major player in this space before, but now appears to be one due to the complacency of Honda and some others that Nissan has evidently capitalized on.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 12:43 PM   #23
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

Quote:
Nice.
Can't say I'm too surprised however.
The CRV's that I test drove, from the basic to highest-end trim levels did not look or feel too appealing on any level (but I still get that they are great reliable cars).
There also didn't appear to be much changed between the previous model years and the 2014.

On the other hand, while I'm still waiting to have my 2014 Rogue returned to me (leather & Heated seats install), I was given a 2013 Rogue by the dealer to drive as a loaner.
Man, the difference in terms of quality, feel, and looks is night and day between the 2013 and 2014 Rogue's.

I can see why Nissan wasn't a major player in this space before, but now appears to be one due to the complacency of Honda and some others that Nissan has evidently capitalized on.

Well to be fair, the 2013 rogue is a plat form that has been around since 2007, and designed in 2006.

So that whole era has changed drastically.

But yes, it's still a huge leap forward. In perceived quality, and feel.
Quote:

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz