Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Dec 29, 2008, 06:41 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
dreamwalker
valar morghulis

dreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default PS3 unable to hold its own against Wii, Xbox 360 this holiday season

Quote:
But early results from this holiday season aren't promising. U.S. sales of the PS3 fell 19% last month from a year earlier, while sales doubled for the Wii console and rose 8% for the Xbox 360, according to research firm NPD. Analysts say they expect PS3 sales for this month to be flat or lower than last year, while sales for its rivals are likely to rise. And Sony may not reach its goal of selling 10 million PS3 consoles in the fiscal year through March, analysts say.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1230...sia_Technology
dreamwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 06:55 PM   #2
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

nomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channel

don't worry, PS3 will do fine next holiday season with the price cut and GOW3 is going to be released on the same time.

most of the PS2 owners won't have an excuse not to move to PS3 afterwards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H001iGAN View Post
no matter how you look at it, it's still better on PC
nomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 07:34 PM   #3
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore View Post
don't worry, PS3 will do fine next holiday season with the price cut and GOW3 is going to be released on the same time.

There is nothing on it that I want to play.

I got a PS2 for 1 reason originally, and that was to play Gran Turismo. The latest gran turismo is a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 29, 2008, 07:47 PM   #4
dreamwalker
valar morghulis

dreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete stranger

I think the only games I want to play on PS3 would be Resistance 2 and Uncharted.
dreamwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 08:12 PM   #5
Unicron
Radeon Evergreen

Unicron is still being judged by the masses

*shrug* I hope Sony knows what they're doing .... don't look like all is going to plan.

I paid $599 for mine back in '06 and it's the only console I need (3 generations of gaming in 1 box).
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 08:39 PM   #6
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

nomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
There is nothing on it that I want to play.

I got a PS2 for 1 reason originally, and that was to play Gran Turismo. The latest gran turismo is a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamwalker View Post
I think the only games I want to play on PS3 would be Resistance 2 and Uncharted.
I think PS3's main problem is marketing.
there are a lot of good exclusive titles for PS3/PSN that people are not aware of and therefore some people are not interested that much.

and from what I can tell online multiplayer is really good so far, I didn't experience anything horrible.
the only con is Sony didnt ship a headset with ps3.

Sony improved PSN a lot lately and I was saying negative things about it before. but you can buy/rent movies, they have added more exclusive game titles.
you can download some of the retail games and the download speed is quite awesome.
Sony can improve more things and I think the system is really going to mature in 2009.

If Sony plans everything and executes well enough in 2009 with the help of the exclusive line up for 2009 and the price cut, then PS3 won't be playing catch up anymore.

btw, full version of gran turismo is expected to ship sometime in 2009.
Quote:
Old Dec 29, 2008, 08:47 PM   #7
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

there is so much on it that i want to play this year and next year.
of course only on the ps3..
i am not going to say those title again, since it won't turn out to be good.

not even worrying about the ps3, they have great games. this year and next year.
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png

Last edited by wc326 : Dec 29, 2008 at 08:55 PM.
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 09:07 PM   #8
xFilter
Radeon R700

xFilter is still being judged by the masses

If Sony doesn't close the gap with its rivals, it could risk making the PS3 an afterthought to game publishers, who focus most of their resources on the machines with the most users.

Last month, four of the five best-selling U.S. games were exclusive to either the Wii or Xbox 360, according to NPD. Sony's best-selling game during the month was an action shooter game, Call of Duty: World at War from Activision Blizzard Inc. But twice as many people bought the Xbox 360 version.
Ouch!

If I'm a game publisher that is making or has a made a game exclusively on the PS3 I'm kicking myself right about now wondering how much $ I could be missing out on.
xFilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 09:16 PM   #9
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

Quote:

yes, 2009 will be the year of the PS3. And xbox has nothing in the pipeline either.

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 09:22 PM   #10
xFilter
Radeon R700

xFilter is still being judged by the masses

Another article basically saying the same thing. http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/...on-08-/1276642

Quote:
As the newest kid on the block, Microsoft is less concerned with catching Nintendo than they are with kicking Sony's butt, which is pretty much exactly what they're doing. Take, for instance, the November NPD numbers for Activision's best-selling first-person shooter, Call of Duty: World at War. The 360 version of the game sold an impressive 1.4 million copies -- over twice that of the PS3 version (597,000). It's hard to play catch up when you're getting beaten that badly.
Quote:
As for Sony, well, they just can't catch a break. The company scored a major coup when Blu-ray officially trounced HD-DVD in the hi-def format war, but few believe the technology will catch on with consumers. Strong sales of big-time exclusive Metal Gear Solid 4 were promising, but the troubled launch of their 'Home' network coupled with relatively weak holiday sales (only Resistance 2 cracked the Top 10 list in November, all the way back at number 9) cramped their style. The once-promising PSP is getting whomped by both the DS and Apple's surging iPhone. Did a witch cast a spell on these guys or what?
Quote:
Microsoft, on the other hand, found itself in second place by keeping its eyes on the prize: core gamers willing to shell out for great downloadable content. The recently released "New Xbox Experience" system update has nearly tripled sales over Xbox Live Arcade, while huge releases like Gears of War 2 and Fable II cemented their status as the go-to console for most gamers.
xFilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 09:44 PM   #11
Encyclopedia_b
Purveyor of OFN

Encyclopedia_b is still being judged by the masses

due to the high price tag and the pretty bad economic times were in ... none of this suprises me

sony isnt going anywhere ... trust me

just like ninentendo isnt going to take over the world
Encyclopedia_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 09:56 PM   #12
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog View Post
yes, 2009 will be the year of the PS3. And xbox has nothing in the pipeline either.
if you think xbox has nothing prepared, you would be very wrong.

next holiday season success of PS3 will depend on how well Sony can execute their plan.
and how well they can market the price cut and their exclusives for 2009.

if Xbox gets another pricecut, they can be in trouble though.
Quote:
Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:11 PM   #13
Sound_Card
Banned

Sound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
if you think xbox has nothing prepared, you would be very wrong.

next holiday season success of PS3 will depend on how well Sony can execute their plan.
and how well they can market the price cut and their exclusives for 2009.

if Xbox gets another pricecut, they can be in trouble though.
We went over this in another thread. Though, it is almost certain that MS will cut the prices again in half a year or by 2009 holidays. When Valhalla launches and most remaining 360's are Jaspers, it's inevitable. All at the same time, RROD issues will decreases accordingly as they greatly have already with Falcon.

Keep in mind nomore, I would not pass off ps2 owners as loyal sony costumers either. I was a proud PS2 owner with 20+ games on it. I'm on the 360 for good reason and I honestly never see my self owning a PS3.

2009 is going to be another great year for MS in the games sector despite what some fanboys say. It won't be like GOW3 will get a free pass in 2009.
Sound_Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:22 PM   #14
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird sings

Lets not forget that this time around Microsoft has the 900 lb North American RPG gorilla we know as Bioware back in their game. Mass Effect 2 for the 360 will likely help to drive a few sales as well. It's been shown that one does not need Square to have a good RPG.

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
battlenet: voxmortis, origin: asci_blue, steam: death_incarnate352
ASCI Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:23 PM   #15
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound_Card View Post
Keep in mind nomore, I would not pass off ps2 owners as loyal sony costumers either. I was a proud PS2 owner with 20+ games on it. I'm on the 360 for good reason and I honestly never see my self owning a PS3.
Michael Pachter and few other analyst stated before that most of the PS2 owners are happy with their system and they have no interest of moving to xbox360, or PS3 unless they see price cuts or titles that they enjoyed with PS2 system.

Microsoft and Sony are battling to lure the PS2 owners into their latest systems.
and Microsoft has been successful with stealing few playstation exclusives but I think there was an estimate of 40-80 million PS2 owners that didn't make the switch or didn't decide what to get yet.

Sony is trying to lure those people especially with God of War 3 like they did with MGS4.
and GOW3 will be a system seller like MGS4 and will have its own bundle. if the price cut comes before GOW3 that will have a bigger impact.

regardless, whoever executes well enough will lure more and more gamers.
I think 2009 is going to be very interesting.
Quote:

Last edited by nomore : Dec 29, 2008 at 10:26 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:32 PM   #16
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

i really dont' get this.
why most of the people here always think their xbox360 is much superior than the ps3 when it comes to gaming...

Last edited by wc326 : Dec 29, 2008 at 10:38 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:34 PM   #17
Daemos
Radeon R700

Daemos is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc326 View Post
i really dont' get this.
why most of the people here always think their xbox360 is much superior than the ps3 when it comes to gaming...
I'm not a fanboy...but to be honest I enjoy the Xbox360's game lineup much more than the PS3.

This is coming from a guy who owned a PS2 and didn't want anything to do with the original xbox.
Daemos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:38 PM   #18
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemos View Post
I'm not a fanboy...but to be honest I enjoy the Xbox360's game lineup much more than the PS3.

This is coming from a guy who owned a PS2 and didn't want anything to do with the original xbox.
i have the xbox360 and the ps3, other than gears of war what make the xbox360 so special and interesting about their games lineup?

Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:52 PM   #19
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
i really dont' get this.
-if you ask me from gaming stand point Wii beats the crap out of xbox360 and ps3 combined.
I see people playing Wii in retirement homes, in waiting rooms and Wii just redefined gaming period.
and it is easier to play for everyone that likes playing games.

-from movies stand point, PS3 is better because of blu-ray and sales of blu-ray movies show that(recently Batman Dark Knight).
and it is better to get a PS3 than a normal blu-ray player.

-from online multiplayer stand point, xbox is better because of microsoft's experience with PC gaming and bringing that to their consoles.
but PS3 is not that much behind as many people like to believe.
from what I experienced it is actually quite good for free online multiplayer system.
I didn't have any lag problems or finding friends or playing games online.
I see a lot of people playing online games on the PS3. and it is not a ghost town or something like that.
it would have been really good if Sony shipped a headset with the PS3 though.!
I think they might start doing that with a Killzone 2 bundle.

-from hardcore gaming stand point, PS3 and xbox360 have pretty much the same titles except exclusives.
so you can't really lose by buying a PS3 or a xbox360.
xbox has Gears of War ...... , PS3 has MGS4......

-from failure rate stand point, well xbox360 wins that hands down.

-from price stand point, xbox 360 is cheaper currently unless you try to buy things that are included with PS3 but are not in xbox 360.

but anybody who thinks xbox360 is much superior than the ps3 when it comes to gaming is blind/dreaming or doesn't own a ps3 or just wants to defend his/her purchase.

same goes for anybody that thinks PS3 is much superior than xbox360 when it comes to gaming.
Quote:

Last edited by nomore : Dec 29, 2008 at 11:00 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:02 PM   #20
Daemos
Radeon R700

Quote:
i have the xbox360 and the ps3, other than gears of war what make the xbox360 so special and interesting about their games lineup?
I like Forza more than GT. Not really into First person shooters...Tales of vesperia, Blue Dragon interest me. I enjoyed castle crashers *alot* I was told by some that Little Big Planet on PS3 would be similar, I didn't find it to be nearly as fun. I thought Saints row was a pretty decent game.

Other than that that also explains why I don't have an Xbox360 either =) Although the 360 has quite a nice range of RPGs that i'd enjoy.

Although the PS3 also has games that interest me...there's less...and it costs much more, and cross platform games run just as well (or in some cases better) on the Xbox360.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:06 PM   #21
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
I like Forza more than GT. Not really into First person shooters...Tales of vesperia, Blue Dragon interest me. I enjoyed castle crashers *alot* I was told by some that Little Big Planet on PS3 would be similar, I didn't find it to be nearly as fun. I thought Saints row was a pretty decent game.

Other than that that also explains why I don't have an Xbox360 either =) Although the 360 has quite a nice range of RPGs that i'd enjoy.

Although the PS3 also has games that interest me...there's less...and it costs much more, and cross platform games run just as well (or in some cases better) on the Xbox360.

OMG, u are telling me castle crashers is alot like LBP....
i don't own caslte crasher, but do have LBP.

i think there is nothing like LBP out there on the market at this point. NO mario , No NES game. its not like that

even the graphic on LBP is unique

Last edited by wc326 : Dec 29, 2008 at 11:13 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:17 PM   #22
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

and don't get me started on the multiplatform games or shooter games.

yes, FragFX version1 for PS3 makes shooter games on consoles better.
probably version2 will be even better but still PC is the correct address for shooter games.
heck, even on Gametrailers forums console gamers were suggesting Bioshock should be played on the PC.

yes some multiplatform games look better on the xbox , some of them look better on the PS3.
in some of them they are exactly same.
but who zooms 300% and makes a comparison like GT?
GTs initial PS3/xbox360 comparisons were messed up even their own forum members posted screenshots and etc to prove them wrong.
the idiots at GT can't even adjust their PCs correct, how the heck did they think they can do a comparison between consoles?

regardless how little some multiplatform games look better on the xbox360 compared to PS3, Mirror's edge looks like s*** on both systems and consoles need lots of AA and that is the same case with other games.
I hope with PC version we can turn on lots of AA or I am gonna poke my eyes out when I play this game.
Quote:

Last edited by nomore : Dec 29, 2008 at 11:21 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:19 PM   #23
Daemos
Radeon R700

Quote:
OMG, u are telling me castle crashers is alot like LBP....
i don't own caslte crasher, but do have LBP.

i think there is nothing like LBP out there on the market at this point. NO mario , No NES game. its not like that

even the graphic on LBP is unique
That's what i've been told, I played LBP and honestly, I don't really like it. It's nothing special, it's not even really that fun IMO.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:22 PM   #24
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
That's what i've been told, I played LBP and honestly, I don't really like it. It's nothing special, it's not even really that fun IMO.
do u play the game online??
its where the fun start for me

also how far are u in LBP.. the later LVL is alot better IMO.
and alot harder. u have so much more to do in later lvl ..

Last edited by wc326 : Dec 29, 2008 at 11:26 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:29 PM   #25
Daemos
Radeon R700

Quote:
do u play the game online??
its where the fun start for me

also how far are u in LBP.. the later LVL is alot better IMO.
and alot harder. u have so much more to do in later lvl ..
I don't have a PS3...I played it for a few hours with friends at a get together...it just didn't grab me. It was really boring and I really couldn't play any more =/

Although that Naruto exclusive game I found was pretty cool.

Even though we had the PS3 hooked up to a 1080p 120hz LCD...the two wiis in the basement hooked up to small regular SD tvs had way more people around it than the PS3 did. Every game that was there for the PS3 was multiplayer...
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:32 PM   #26
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
I don't have a PS3...I played it for a few hours with friends at a get together...it just didn't grab me. It was really boring and I really couldn't play any more =/

Although that Naruto exclusive game I found was pretty cool.

Even though we had the PS3 hooked up to a 1080p 120hz LCD...the two wiis in the basement hooked up to small regular SD tvs had way more people around it than the PS3 did. Every game that was there for the PS3 was multiplayer...
thats basically what i thought about the game at start.
i didn't even touch LBP after i bought it for 3weeks.
but then when i really try to get into it.
and i love it. Now i wanna get every single item for my sackboy.

of course this kind of game will not be the game for everyone. However, like i said there s nothing like this game At this point of time
not to mention this game is very fun for me atm.

Last edited by wc326 : Dec 29, 2008 at 11:35 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:36 PM   #27
Daemos
Radeon R700

Quote:
thats basically what i thought about the game at start.
i didn't even touch LBP after i bought it for 3weeks.
but then when i really try to get into it.
and i love it. Now i wanna get every single item for my sackboy.

not to mention this game is very fun for me atm.
Well if I get a chance to play it again, i'll give it more of a chance...but I don't want to fall for the old psychological trick, the more effort you put into something, and the more time you try to spend with something, your brain tries to compensate that by liking it.

Sometimes I wish I didn't do higher level psychology courses, they've made me analyze things that I wouldn't of before I took the courses =(

Although I'll be honest if the PS3 DOES drop in price I'd consider getting one, just like I would an Xbox360 once well we see if this current revision solves the common RROD.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 07:53 AM   #28
plan-9
Radeon Northern Islands

plan-9 is still being judged by the masses

I think a lot of people were expecting a pricedrop, or at least some decent bundles for the ps3 this holiday...and neither happened. I know a lot of people who want a ps3 but the fact it doest come with any games, movies or even proper cables has made them rethink the purchase. The 360 right now can be purchased for $250 for the 60 gig model that comes with component cables and 2 games... alot of places here also throw in a couple other games. The ps3 on the other hand is $399 for the 80 gig that comes with no games and composite cables. A couple places do throw in 1 game...in fact bestbuy now gives you troy bluray and rainbow 6 vegas..but this just started happening after boxing day! Places are also throwing in things with the wii even. Just dont see why these types of deals arent being offered with the ps3.

I think Sony needs to start bundling in a movie and a game again with the system as well as including at least component cables. The price would look much better if it at least came with these things.
plan-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:10 AM   #29
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

You know, when Sony Fanboys were always like, "Ha! You'll see, they'll catch up soon and be king!" I sorta believed it was possible. But no. Nevermind.
Hidavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:54 AM   #30
jimmt
Trumpification

jimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
i really dont' get this.
I recently purchased a PS3 and so far I am enjoying the hell out of it. Graphically the system just seems better. I know there is comparisons where the 360 looks better, but in my opinion and on my TV the PS3 is just killer. With that said, Xbox has a better on-line experience. Also, the 360 controller is the best controller I have ever used. Ergonomics of the controller makes it very comfortable and fits FPS much better than the Sony controller; which hasn't changed much since the PSX as far as design and feel.

Both systems are great to own and I really hope Sony can gain some ground. One of the things I like about sony when it comes to their Consoles is their longevity. The past two systems have had very long shelf life and support.
MSI Z87M Gaming|Intel i7 4770k |16GB DDR3 PC3 12800|XFX RX470 4GB | 6TB HDD |Windows 10 Pro
Laptop
Dell Inspiron 7577 | Intel i7-7700HQ |16GB DDR 4 DRAM 2400 |Nvidia 1060 6GB |3TB NVMe/SDD |Windows 10 Pro
VR
HPWMR / PSVR
Consoles
Switch|WiiU|Wii|Gamecube|New 3DS XL|DS|GBA|N64|SNES|NES|XBOX|XBOX360|XBONEX|PS1|PS2|PS3|PS4|Vita|PSP|DreamCast|Genesis
Classical Liberalism: A political ideology and a branch of liberalism which advocates civil liberties, private property, and political freedom with representative democracy under the rule of law. Strong emphasizes economic freedom and the individual over the collective.
jimmt is offline   Reply With Quote