Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Sep 29, 2003, 04:42 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
windycityguy
Radeon R700

windycityguy is still being judged by the masses

Default Holiday sales crucial for future of Microsoft Xbox

The upcoming holiday season may be the last chance for Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox to gain significant market share in the video-game console market.

With a library of more than 300 games and 9.4 million Xbox units shipped as of the end of the fiscal quarter ended June 30, the console has hit critical mass.

Some industry watchers think gamers will start looking to the next generation of consoles starting in 2004, which could curtail Xbox sales.

"I think this holiday season is even more critical than last year's," said Matt Rosoff, an analyst with Kirkland market-research firm Directions on Microsoft Inc. "It's the third and final big season for Xbox. By this time next year, most gamers will look at it as an older console."

Evidence of that trend is already apparent with the two other consoles on the market -- Nintendo Ltd.'s GameCube and Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 2.

Earlier this summer, Nintendo announced it had stopped manufacturing new GameCubes due to decreased sales. Sales of the PlayStation 2 have slowed considerably since its launch in 1999.

Redmond-based Microsoft hopes to ship another 7 million Xbox consoles by the end of fiscal year 2004. To do that, the company continues to push its hit online- gaming service, called Xbox Live.

Xbox Live enables gamers to communicate and compete with one another over a broadband Internet connection.

Rosoff said this holiday season is critical to the service's continued success.

"This is the first season where Xbox Live is available in all the major retail outlets throughout the world," he said. "Microsoft has to show continued momentum and get more people signed up for the service."

Earlier this week, Microsoft announced a new Xbox Live bundle -- a free two-month trial subscription to the service and two games, LucasArt's "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" and THQ Inc.'s "Tetris World Live."

Gamers won't need the Xbox Live headset, which allows them to communicate with one another over a broadband connection during games and in a central portal area, called LiveNow.

Instead, Microsoft has made it possible for gamers to communicate through the speakers on their consoles on a limited number of Xbox Live titles.

"Without the headset, it's hard to get the full experience," said Scott Henson, director of platform strategies in the Xbox group at Microsoft. "At the same time, we still want to give people a chance to dip their toes into the water, which is why we included voice-through-speaker capabilities on some of the new Live titles."

Henson declined to say how many Xbox live subscribers Microsoft can realistically expect to add by the end of 2004.

In addition to the new Xbox Live bundle, the company will also make a wireless network adapter available for Xbox owners on Oct. 5. The adapter will let users connect to wireless adapters over a high-speed 802.11g, or WiFi, connection.

Directions on Microsoft's Rosoff said the wireless adapter, designed to facilitate massive multiplayer scenarios, is a niche product.

"It's not something most Xbox owners will buy unless they already have a pretty comprehensive home network installed," he said. "It's very tech-y."

Warren Gouk, an analyst with Seattle boutique investment bank Cascadia Capital LLC, said products like the wireless adapter are important for maintaining the loyalty of hard-core gamers.

"They're the ones who are going to go out and buy this stuff," Gouk said. "So, it's important for Microsoft to continue targeting them with network upgrades."

Despite the online gaming bundles and wireless connectivity the company has provided, Gouk is concerned with the financial health of the Xbox initiative as a whole.

According to filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, Microsoft's Home and Entertainment group, where the Xbox resides, lost $924 million last fiscal year, up from an $874 million loss the previous year.

"They've lost billions on this product," Gouk said. "I know the company has said it's in it for the long term, but I have to wonder how long (CEO) Steve Ballmer will put up with these kinds of losses."

Gouk said the massive losses indicate the Xbox isn't eroding Sony's hold on the living room the way Microsoft had hoped.

"If Microsoft can't get a critical installed base in the gaming world, they're not going to be able to leverage the Xbox as this massive multimedia device for the living room," he said.

Competition from Nintendo and Sony will only get tougher down the road.

Frank O'Connor, executive editor at The Official Xbox Magazine in San Francisco, predicts Microsoft won't benefit from the Xbox's current hardware advantages over the competition once the next generation of consoles are released.

"On the one hand, Microsoft will hit the ground running when Xbox 2 comes out in 2005 or 2006," O'Connor said. "But there's no doubt in my mind that all three consoles will be using roughly the same graphics engines."

O'Connor is convinced Sony and Nintendo will also build online gaming capability and hard drives into their next consoles, too.

"They'd be crazy not to," he said. "The wildcard here is Sony, because they make their own proprietary software and hardware and they didn't include enough texture memory in the PlayStation 2 last time around."

link: http://seattle.bizjournals.com/seatt...22/story7.html
windycityguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2003, 04:44 AM   #2
windycityguy
Radeon R700

"On the one hand, Microsoft will hit the ground running when Xbox 2 comes out in 2005 or 2006," O'Connor said. "But there's no doubt in my mind that all three consoles will be using roughly the same graphics engines

Yeah.

Sony, ATI, ATI

or

Sony-ATI, ATI, ATI

or

Sony-Nvidia, ATI, ATI

or

Sony-Nvidia-ATI, ATI, ATI

any way you look at it, ATI is a big winner
Old Sep 29, 2003, 06:52 AM   #3
Ralph
Radeon Northern Islands

Ralph is still being judged by the masses

Well, to put things into perspective. Xbox is ahead of Gamecube in both North America and Europe (two huge markets). Also, all three are in the same position as far as future outlook concerning sales. They're all expected to have a next generation console out at about the same time. So, if people start looking forward to one next gen console, it goes without saying that people will start looking forward to them for all. All of them will decline in sales especially if their future titles aren't convincing enough not to wait. Will Xbox be successful this Holiday season. I believe they will due to some huge titles that are coming, namely Crimson Skies, PGR2, Ninja Gaiden, Top Spin, and Rainbow Six 3.

I believe Xbox was a success given that it was a non-player just about 3 years ago and they've beat a well known company in two out of three big markets and have cut into the leaders market share. They've established themselves as a viable competitor with their best titles ahead of them and have built their network infrastructure globally for their gaming service which is of very good quality all in the first generation of their console. Not easy achievements by a competitor let alone a "new" competitor.

If they have backwards compatibility in the next Xbox with at least equivalent hardware to Sony/Nintendo then I believe they "could" be setup better than Sony or Nintendo for the next generation. Just given the Xbox Live service that is now global plus they have established some very compelling franchises (Halo, PGR, Brute Force, Amped, DOA, MechAssault, Panzer Dragoon, Steel Battalion, Otogi, with some yet to come, i.e. Fable, Ninja Gaiden, Crimson Skies, Perfect Dark, Kameo, Conker, True Fantasy Live, Sudeki, Jade Empire) that have found or will find a niche in the market. In any case, the last 3 years have proven that three consoles can exist only because they've each been feeling out their niche in the market since they've arrived and each one of the approaches are appealing for any gamer.
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 29, 2003, 08:23 AM   #4
TheMonkeyBoyz
Banned

TheMonkeyBoyz is still being judged by the masses

As much as I don't like the Xbox, Microsoft has so much money that if they want to tough it out, they can and I think will.

They have poured BILLIONS into the Xbox already - why stop now? I just don't see it happening. Walking away from an investment this huge would be a disaster.

Xbox is probably here to stay, at least in some form, at least that is my thinking on it.
TheMonkeyBoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2003, 10:47 AM   #5
TigerPrawn
Banned

TigerPrawn is still being judged by the masses

I'm gonna have to agree with Monkey. I'm not really an Xbox fan besides a very small amount of games on the console, but I do believe they are here to stay, even if they're losing. It's just not beneficial o drop something so big and if they did drop it there would be more reprecussions than just losing Xbox. Investers would then look at MS at a whole different way as well.
TigerPrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2003, 11:24 AM   #6
Draco [BDS]
Radeon Evergreen

Draco [BDS] is still being judged by the masses

I dont understand this? The Xbox will be considered an older console in 2004?

Quote:
Some industry watchers think gamers will start looking to the next generation of consoles starting in 2004, which could curtail Xbox sales.
What next generation consoles are coming out in 2004!?!?!??! I thought the next gen consoles were scheduled for late 2005 or 2006.
2GB OCZ XTC PC2-8500 RAM
750GB WD SATAII 16MB Cache
120GB WD SATA 8MB Cache
Samsung SH-S203B
Antec Trupower 450w PSU
Draco [BDS] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2003, 11:58 AM   #7
Ralph
Radeon Northern Islands

What is the deal with the Xbox hate? It's just a console people. Do you take your eating habits as serious as you do your gaming? Cause I would think with all the artery clogging fat and anitbiotics they pump into you every time you eat at a fast food restaurant that you would have a pretty strong opinion on that, you know, cause it actually affects "your health"! Although, I'll attempt to understand that sometimes pride and dignity are your primary concerns.

Last edited by Ralph : Sep 29, 2003 at 12:01 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 12:44 PM   #8
Draco [BDS]
Radeon Evergreen

Draco [BDS] is still being judged by the masses

Hmmmm two people said they werent fans of the Xbox which is far from the "Xbox Hate" you are referring to..... although it sounds like you are an Xbox owner and you have made your post out of "pride and dignity" .
2GB OCZ XTC PC2-8500 RAM
750GB WD SATAII 16MB Cache
120GB WD SATA 8MB Cache
Samsung SH-S203B
Antec Trupower 450w PSU
Draco [BDS] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2003, 01:50 PM   #9
Christberg
Hmmmm... Death.

Christberg is still being judged by the masses

So they've lost 2.6 billion dollars on the Xbox now eh? Wow, that's a LOT of cash.

Anyhow, Microsoft may be ahead of Nintendo in a couple markets by a bit, but I have to wonder about whether or not their continued heavy subsidization of the Xbox is really going to pay off for them in the long run. When you think about how much money they're spending just to get one person to buy an Xbox, you have to wonder about the legitimacy of the whole thing. I mean... 10 million users/2.6 billion... they're basically paying you 260 dollars to buy and use an Xbox. What if they match Nintendo's pricedrop? What if they don't?

This isn't the cell phone industry where every owner is paying monthly subscription fees and has contracts, thusly making heavily subsidizing the product like this actually viable and somehow I don't think that making Xbox Live a necessity for players is going to pay off any time soon.

This holiday will be very interesting saleswise.
'When it comes to Nintendo strategy, it's not that we want to make games for kids. It's that we want to make them creative while appealing to a wider audience. Obviously we see games as entertainment, and what we want to do is find the best way to make the gameplay experience entertaining for everyone."-Shigeru Miyamoto

Proud owner of way too many pieces of consumer electronics, including GBA,DS,GC, and PS2.

My computer specs:
Asus A78N Deluxe, Athlon XP 2700+,1.2gb PC2700 DDR, 280GB HD, 6600 GT 512mb, other stuff.
Christberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2003, 01:53 PM   #10
Decado
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Decado is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralph
Will Xbox be successful this Holiday season. I believe they will due to some huge titles that are coming, namely Crimson Skies, PGR2, Ninja Gaiden, Top Spin, and Rainbow Six 3.
Depends on what you mean by "successful". I think (of those games) only Ninja Gaiden will really push the Xbox. A sequel, a PC port, a tennis game and a version of a PC franchises that was cool but not terribly successful isn't going to work wonders.

Quote:
If they have backwards compatibility in the next Xbox with at least equivalent hardware to Sony/Nintendo then I believe they "could" be setup better than Sony or Nintendo for the next generation.
Maybe Nintendo...but Sony? No-way no-how. Not even close. M$ has a few established franchises while Sony has a whole ton of them (and I wouldn't expect another Panzer game on the Xbox 1/2), a HUGE establish fan-base and the best from the major developers. There are more games coming out on all systems...but only time will tell if they're any good or how they're received.

Nintendo really missed an opportunity this generation to put M$ in the ground for good (Sony certainly did all they could). Damned annoying...3 consoles is 1 too many and M$ should go back to the PC, IMO.
768 MB DDR PC2700 RAM
40 Gig Maxtor 7200 RPM HD
SBVive! Value
NEC DVD-R/RW
Ricoh CD-R/RW
Win. XP HE
Decado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2003, 02:16 PM   #11
TigerPrawn
Banned

TigerPrawn is still being judged by the masses

As stated above, I mentioned not being a fan of Xbox and I even admitted to liking a few titles, but not enough to get me to buy one.

I'm gonna agree with Decado on this one. Sony is just way, way, way ahead right now. The real battle is between Xbox and GC for the next gen consoles. Although, I do think Nintendo will prevail not because I've read analyst reports or sales charts, but because I'm a big fan and have faith in my favorite gaming company.

Also, it's interesting to note, we can all agree right now that GB-GBA series is the most dominant handheld and hasn't really been rivaled by any other handheld, having an extensive library and fanbase itself, yet PSP and N-Gage are supposedly going to give Nintendo a run for their money. I guess the same concept can be applied to the consoles. PS2 has barely been challenged, and has been at the top for quite sometime, but what happens when Nintendo or MS come up with some new feature/gimmick that blows everyone away (Or blows in general for that matter). I guess we're all gonna have to wait and see, but I'm happy as it is due to the fact Nintendo is still fighting.
TigerPrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2003, 05:19 PM   #12
TheMonkeyBoyz
Banned

Quote:
What is the deal with the Xbox hate? It's just a console people. Do you take your eating habits as serious as you do your gaming? Cause I would think with all the artery clogging fat and anitbiotics they pump into you every time you eat at a fast food restaurant that you would have a pretty strong opinion on that, you know, cause it actually affects "your health"! Although, I'll attempt to understand that sometimes pride and dignity are your primary concerns.
Part of the anger comes with the fact that this is Microsoft trying to dominate yet another market sector. As you probably know, Microsoft is hated because of a lot of its own actions, and that baggage we need not go into here, right? I mean, admitting that Microsoft brings a lot of baggage to the table from the get go, so anything they do will be scrutinized.

That said, there is the matter of the way MS did this. They buddied up to Sega and the Dreamcast - got them to use Windows CE as the OS for the console, worked with them in what was touted as an attempt to help further the platform - and then screwed them over by creating their own platform behind their backs and putting the screws to Sega.

Microsoft had done this a lot of times before - with Stacker and the Drivespace/Doublespace thing, with IBM on the OS2/Win NT thing, with Apple on the Mac OS GUI and Windows and other times.

Some people just don't like that kind of behavior and have a long, long held grudge against Microsoft. Some just don't want ANYTHING MS does outside of OS's and Apps to succeed, and I guess that is just the way things are.

While the XBOX is huge (Xbrick) and the original controller sucked (New Controller S is good), it works great for some and they love it. So, we'll all just have to see what happens.

I would personally like to see MS fail in consoles and focus on publishing great PC Games. Then again, I would have liked it if MS had not undermined the Sega Dreamcast as a platform and that the big 3 was Sony PS2, Nintendo Game Cube and Sega Dreamcast, but that's just my wishful thinking.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 06:07 PM   #13
_leech_
Banned

_leech_ is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by windycityguy
Yeah.

Sony, ATI, ATI

or

Sony-ATI, ATI, ATI

or

Sony-Nvidia, ATI, ATI

or

Sony-Nvidia-ATI, ATI, ATI

any way you look at it, ATI is a big winner
_leech_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2003, 06:11 PM   #14
EMunEeE
Formerly MrEMan4K

EMunEeE is still being judged by the masses

Maybe everyone should just buy s playstation 2 instead of an XBox
Old Sep 29, 2003, 06:18 PM   #15
TheMonkeyBoyz
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by mreman4k
Maybe everyone should just buy s playstation 2 instead of an XBox
That's what I did.

I was lucky in that the price drop to $199 had already happened and the internal hardware was set to work with the full-function SONY Remote so I did not need to update the software and fill up a memory stick with it.

There are TONS of great titles for the PS2 and many of them in the $20 range, thanks to Classics. Ratchet and Clank is $20, I think Tony Hawks 4 just went down to $20, Virtua Fighter 4 EVO is $20, Splashdown, Jak & Daxter and a whole lot more.

I've started re-playing Mortal Kombat DA this week - oh man - what a cool game. I had forgotten how rockin' it actually is.

PS2 is where it's at for me...
Old Sep 29, 2003, 07:29 PM   #16
windycityguy
Radeon R700

Quote:
What next generation consoles are coming out in 2004!?!?!??! I thought the next gen consoles were scheduled for late 2005 or 2006.

No next-generation consoles are coming out in 2004, unless you count PSP, which isnt a console anyway.

What the article was saying, is that starting in 2004, gamers & consumers will start looking forward to the next generation of consoles that will be coming out in 2005 or 2006.

This time next year ( Sept 2004) the next gen consoles will be 12-24 months away. whereas now, they are 24-36 months away.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 08:01 PM   #17
Killdozer
Banned

Killdozer is still being judged by the masses

It's trying to say that this winter is probably going to be the last big huraha! before it slows down when people are waiting for the new ones.
Killdozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2003, 05:43 AM   #18
Ralph
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
Originally posted by Draco [BDS] Hmmmm two people said they werent fans of the Xbox which is far from the "Xbox Hate" you are referring to.....
Actually what was said was:

"As much as I don't like the Xbox," then

"I'm gonna have to agree with Monkey."

Now, was my generalizing term "Xbox hate" too extreme of an assessment for "As much as I don't like the Xbox"? Well, let's just say not as extreme as you'd like to make it out to be.

Quote:
although it sounds like you are an Xbox owner and you have made your post out of "pride and dignity" .
And I own a PS2 and a computer and my son owns a Gamecube. So, what was your point again?

Just cause I give an assessment about a companies outlook doesn't mean I'm a fanboy. I definitely don't like some of the tactics MS employs but the thing people need to keep in perspective is that *all* companies have their best interests in mind and if that means they have to f*** somebody over to do it, they will.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 06:15 AM   #19
Ralph
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
Originally posted by Decado Depends on what you mean by "successful". I think (of those games) only Ninja Gaiden will really push the Xbox. A sequel, a PC port, a tennis game and a version of a PC franchises that was cool but not terribly successful isn't going to work wonders.
I understand you don't keep up with Xbox stuff. You'll be surprised when these titles hit the review sites. Remember Kotor, eh, you'd probably like to forget.

Quote:
Maybe Nintendo...but Sony? No-way no-how. Not even close.
What does Sony have that compares to Xbox Live on a global scale? I'm not trying to sing the fight song for MS here but having an established global gaming network with as many features as they have is a great foundation to work off of. Given the future of broadband their subscriber base is only going to go up. And given their commitment to including Live features in many games is going to make people finally give in at some point. There are two such titles that are already coming out this fall that will increase Live subscriptions. Crimson Skies and Rainbow Six 3. Just wait for the Xbox Live reviews of both of these games and I'll guarantee you that they're going to give them stellar praise.

Quote:
M$ has a few established franchises while Sony has a whole ton of them (and I wouldn't expect another Panzer game on the Xbox 1/2), a HUGE establish fan-base and the best from the major developers.
Nintendo had a huge established fan base as well. Let me ask you something. What if the PS2 launched alongside Gamecube and Xbox? Would it be as successful as it is today? I think we all know the answer to that. Granted, if they were to maintain their software library they would be successful just not *as* successful if they launched at the same time. They will all be on equal footing when they launch. The main advantage I was giving MS was Xbox Live.

Quote:
There are more games coming out on all systems...but only time will tell if they're any good or how they're received.
Yes, the only real test will be on the final product. Although, some games you can feel pretty good about either through interviews, trailers, or tidbits of info. I think we can all agree on that.

Quote:
Nintendo really missed an opportunity this generation to put M$ in the ground for good (Sony certainly did all they could). Damned annoying...3 consoles is 1 too many and M$ should go back to the PC, IMO.
What is it that Nintendo *didn't* do to put MS in the ground?! Nintendo came out swinging with their franchises and some innovative games to boot. In fact, I believe they've had more "AAA" titles than Sony since it launched, no? So, I *certainly* wouldn't give Sony more kudos for their particular effort over Nintendo. MS has established a niche and that is their network gaming service as well as their efforts to bring their own unique style of games to their platform. They have a pretty sound plan with really interesting titles in the not so distant future. As I said before, Xbox's best has yet to come. Where as with Nintendo and Sony, they already had established franchises and are feeding off of those with every ounce that they can milk them for. I'm definitely not saying Nintendo and Sony have nothing left cause they certainly do. All I'm trying to get across is that MS's style of gaming is still being defined and given time, their best titles are ahead of them, not behind them.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 01:20 PM   #20
Decado
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Decado is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
I understand you don't keep up with Xbox stuff.
I keep up with all consoles. There have been some pretty impressive Xbox games that have turned out to be mediocre. Like with PS2 games, I don't hold too much faith in upcoming releases.

Quote:
Remember Kotor, eh, you'd probably like to forget.
Sure I do...it's coming to the PC

Quote:
What does Sony have that compares to Xbox Live on a global scale?
I dunno. All I know is that they have more subscribers to their online service. I honestly don't know if it as good and don't really care. Online gaming won't win anything. You're also appear to be assuming it won't be improved. BTW, experts predict that the "future" of broadband won't be coming as quickly as previously expected.

Quote:
There are two such titles that are already coming out this fall that will increase Live subscriptions. Crimson Skies and Rainbow Six 3.
A PC game and another PC franchise. Hello, I think M$ is approaching the limit for tapping PC gamers

Quote:
Nintendo had a huge established fan base as well. Let me ask you something. What if the PS2 launched alongside Gamecube and Xbox? Would it be as successful as it is today?
Probably. Not only that but I think either M$ or Nintendo would be gone. The ONLY thing M$ has over Sony is the hardware. If they were released at the same time chances are that the technical difference would be nill. Sony didn't make Nintendo's mistakes and it doesn't look like they're going to.

Quote:
Although, some games you can feel pretty good about either through interviews, trailers, or tidbits of info. I think we can all agree on that.
The games I feel good about depend entirely on the developer (and in some cases the publisher). Interviews and previews are interesting but not terribly useful when it comes to determining quality or polish.

Quote:
What is it that Nintendo *didn't* do to put MS in the ground?! Nintendo came out swinging with their franchises and some innovative games to boot.
They didn't get support from the technical wannabees like M$ did (and they probably could have). They sold Rare to M$ (like the US selling an bomb to Iraq). Oh yeah, that's right, they came out swinging with *their* franchises and not a whole lot else.

Quote:
All I'm trying to get across is that MS's style of gaming is still being defined and given time, their best titles are ahead of them, not behind them.
M$'s style of gaming is decades old. It is called "PC gaming". Sony's and Nintendo's best games are still to come, as well. Sony has a whole HELL of lot more promising upcoming titles than M$.

Don't get me wrong...I've very interested in some of the ambitious games coming out on the Xbox. I'm just not about to assume they're going to be great. The Xbox isn't immune to disappointment.
768 MB DDR PC2700 RAM
40 Gig Maxtor 7200 RPM HD
SBVive! Value
NEC DVD-R/RW
Ricoh CD-R/RW
Win. XP HE
Decado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2003, 04:24 PM   #21
adam cool dude
Payne To The Max

Location: United Kingdom, Buckingham Palace for weekend parties
adam cool dude is still being judged by the masses

I think the xbox will enter the next generation but wont get anywhere without loosing a incredible amount of money to sell it. It might sell a little better for the beginning than it did last time but it will still be microsoft and nintendo duking it out, i seriously doubt both companies will overtake sony next generation but will be a lot closer this time, just from looking at companies who have been far ahead at the top of their thing that they do for a long while then get too slacky and end up messing up and loosing their dominance completely, for example nvidea comes to mind and i think sony will go the same way if they don't release a good hardware next time round and a decent starting lineup (lets face it the PS2's was pap compared to the gamecubes and especially the xbox's). Anyway back on topic, next generation i will be buying the next generation nintendo console for the nintendo titles and exclusive third party jap support, but depending on how well the "xbox next" does and if the console package has a bit more thought into it than last time, i might consider purchasing one although the hype of a lot of really potentially good games that turn out mediocre puts me off because its beginning to be a pattern in a lot of xbox exclusive titles recently, plus i want more console games rather than PC ports, thats what i bought a PC for!!!!

PC:MSI K8N Neo Plat ,AMD 64 [email protected],Asus Star ice cooler, 1024mb OCZ 3700 EB 245mhz 2-5-2-2, Western Digital Raptor 74GB HD, Safire X800 Pro vivo(16 pipes)@XT-PE, Hercules Fortisimo III 7.1 Antec Case + True Power 431 watt, Logitech MX700 + Logitech wireless keyboard, 2x17" monitors, Logitech 5.1 speakers, Win XP Corp.

Second Hand PC parts:P4 1.6ghz [email protected] 3.6ghz(No hyper-threading), Zalman Ultra Cooler, Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, 1024mb Corsair TwinX PC4400 @300mhz, Volt modded Asus Radeon 9800 XT 450/500, 120GB Generic HD, Onboard Sound, Cheapy Speakers, 19" Generic Silver Monitor, Generic Keyboard + Logitech MX510, Win XP Corp.
adam cool dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2003, 04:45 PM   #22
ViCyniC
Radeon Arctic Islands

ViCyniC is still being judged by the masses

X......B....OX...? Are we still talking about that thing? Isn't it dead, or was I just dreaming of it?
ViCyniC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2003, 05:00 PM   #23
The Destroyer
Radeon R300

The Destroyer is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Miester_V
X......B....OX...? Are we still talking about that thing? Isn't it dead, or was I just dreaming of it?
No, the fanboys are helping it to hang in there...for now.
The Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2003, 05:06 AM   #24
GBZeuS
Radeon R600

GBZeuS is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Christberg
So they've lost 2.6 billion dollars on the Xbox now eh? Wow, that's a LOT of cash.

Anyhow, Microsoft may be ahead of Nintendo in a couple markets by a bit, but I have to wonder about whether or not their continued heavy subsidization of the Xbox is really going to pay off for them in the long run. When you think about how much money they're spending just to get one person to buy an Xbox, you have to wonder about the legitimacy of the whole thing. I mean... 10 million users/2.6 billion... they're basically paying you 260 dollars to buy and use an Xbox. What if they match Nintendo's pricedrop? What if they don't?

This isn't the cell phone industry where every owner is paying monthly subscription fees and has contracts, thusly making heavily subsidizing the product like this actually viable and somehow I don't think that making Xbox Live a necessity for players is going to pay off any time soon.

This holiday will be very interesting saleswise.
You still haven't caught on have you with the M$ losing money thing.

I thought everyone had by now...

M$ have stated OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER that they will not win this round of the console war.

They want to create a decent platform to step from for the next generation of consoles.

They now have a large console user base and should be able to go on very well in the next round... They have forced Nintendo into no longer being the no.2 player in the market, they have pretty much equalled a console making giant in their first entry into the console wars and they have taken a big chunk of Sony's market as well.
GBZeuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2003, 09:42 AM   #25
Audi2Honda
Rage3D Veteran

Audi2Honda is still being judged by the masses

didn't they say the same thing last year about xbox and holiday sales? It's still around
Asus Top HD4850
Corsair 650TX

Team Rage 3D Folding My STATS
Audi2Honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2003, 10:00 AM   #26
Ralph
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
Originally posted by Audi2Honda
didn't they say the same thing last year about xbox and holiday sales? It's still around
Yeah, especially after they totally crushed Nintendo in North American sales in December. That was even when they had the vaunted Metroid Prime. I believe Xbox sales this year will be just as good given the number of great titles coming out this fall. Although, I believe GC sales will actually increase from last years disappointing holiday season. Only a couple more months to go.
Old Oct 1, 2003, 10:25 AM   #27
TheMonkeyBoyz
Banned

Microsoft has all the money they need to keep pumping up this Xbox thing if they want.

Frankly, I think they should cut their losses on the hardware and focus on making games for the PC and other consoles and extending their Xbox Live service into a more general Online Gaming service that is multi-platform. The Xbox is a boat anchor and money loser - but they could rake in lots of money from a "Microsoft Live" Gaming Service and a great set of multi-platform game releases.
Old Oct 1, 2003, 10:39 AM   #28
Ralph
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
Originally posted by TheMonkeyBoyz
Microsoft has all the money they need to keep pumping up this Xbox thing if they want.

Frankly, I think they should cut their losses on the hardware and focus on making games for the PC and other consoles and extending their Xbox Live service into a more general Online Gaming service that is multi-platform. The Xbox is a boat anchor and money loser - but they could rake in lots of money from a "Microsoft Live" Gaming Service and a great set of multi-platform game releases.
So, take away everything good about the console and split it up between the other two sharks? Because you're worried MS is losing too much money? Ok, sorry for the sarcasm but I just find it funny that you care. By the way, given history, isn't hardware typically a money loser in the beginning?
Old Oct 1, 2003, 11:48 AM   #29
FluxCap
G36C Land

FluxCap is still being judged by the masses

Damn, the PS2 fanboys are in full force.
FluxCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2003, 11:53 AM   #30
Audi2Honda
Rage3D Veteran

Audi2Honda is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by FluxCap
Damn, the PS2 fanboys are in full force.
I just got a 9600pro. Anyone want to buy my PS2?
Asus Top HD4850
Corsair 650TX

Team Rage 3D Folding My STATS
Audi2Honda is offline   Reply With Quote