Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Legacy ATI Discussion and Technical Support » AIW / Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AIW / Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support Discussion and support forum for all of the All-In-Wonder Radeon cards, the TV-Wonder, Remote Wonder I and II, the new HDTV Wonder, and basically anything with VIVO support.

Old Aug 19, 2004, 07:20 PM   #211
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Peanut-Butter
Radeon R100

Peanut-Butter is still being judged by the masses

BBQGrill, you can find them on ATI's website. maybe this link will work for you:
Click here
Peanut-Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2004, 07:21 PM   #212
EMunEeE
Formerly MrEMan4K

EMunEeE is still being judged by the masses

My In-Depth HDTV Impressions

Installation (5/10)
Installation and configuration was one of the only downsides to the HDTV Wonder. The hardware installation went as planned. However, installing the software was a bit different. I put the CD in and chose the install option. The software chose to install older CATALYST drivers over the 4.8s. Additionally, for some reason I could not install the MMC using the CD menu. So I cleaned out the botched installation and install each MMC component manually. It all went well after that. Took me 45 minutes to 1 hour to finish a 15 minute process.

Stability (8/10)
To my surprise, MMC is very stable. I only experience random crashes (happened twice). All the different MMC components worked flawlessly for me.

Features (9.9/10)
This is where the HDTV Wonder shines. It is feature rich. It has a very capable analog and HDTV tuner. Not only that, but the easylook idea is ingenious and I find myself using it all the time. The file player also plays every single media format that I know of which is a welcomed addition. The only knock is that it will not let me choose to play music files from the easylook program..no biggie though. ThruView where you can make the video transparent is kick ass.

Performance (9/10)
Performance is very good on my system. I have been watching 1920x1080 broadcasts and the processor usage is never above 50%.... At times though, the interface can be a bit sluggish.

Image Quality (10/10)
Pictures speak volumes

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~eghalley/hdtv1.jpg
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~eghalley/hdtv2.jpg

Overall (9.5/10)
The HDTV Wonder is definately a great purchase. I did not even mention the VIVO and remote wonder which perform flawlessly. Worth every dollar I paid for it...
Old Aug 19, 2004, 07:43 PM   #213
grog
No longer on Rage3d

grog is still being judged by the masses

The new 9.02 release and updated HDTV driver is much better. One thing I did not care for in the initial release was that DVD's created or DVD-HQ MPG video exports were no longer Wide-Screen. This has been addressed.

If you record 1080i or 720p content and export it from DTV to DVD-HQ in the MMC Library you should notice a difference, a big one.

1080i and 720p converted to DVD format are now "WIDE-SCREEN"!!
The content looks just like it did when recorded with less quality of course. But the converted video great.

Next you can try "Create Media Layout" and burn the DVD-HQ to DVD format.
Don't even try to skip the step of DTV->DVD-HQ, it just hangs, well it did for me. If you convert the DTV content to DVD-HQ then use "Create Media Layout" you can create great DVD's that play in Wide-Screen on your home DVD player.

One problem though, 1080i content works great going to physical DVD. 720p format does not, audio is slow. The 720p DVD-HQ MPG is fine, it is just the burn process that has an issue for me. DVD creator and MyDVD will burn the 720p MPG DVD-HQ image just fine, but not in Wide-Screen.

I look forward to 720p working with the ATI "Create Media Layout" to DVD program, but for now 1080i is all I can count on with this method.

I am going to go back and re-burn the OLYMPICS opening to DVD again so I will have it in Wide-Screen!!!

Great release and I look forward to the next one

Greg
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 19, 2004, 08:08 PM   #214
BBQGrill

BBQGrill is still being judged by the masses

Default HTV Wonder Drivers

Peanut-Butter,

Thanks for the link to the drivers.

Installed the drivers and reboot the machine.

It updated these devices from version 3.0.83.2008 to version 3.0.83.2012
under Sound, Video and Game controllers in Device Manager:

ATI DTV Wonder Analog Audio Capture Device
ATI DTV Wonder Analog AV Capture Device
ATI DTV Wonder Analog AV Crossbar Device
ATI DTV Wonder Digital And Analog Tuner Device
ATI DTV Wonder Digital BDA Capture Device
BBQGrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2004, 10:47 PM   #215
PGHammer
This Olde (AGP) PC

PGHammer is still being judged by the masses

ATI Technologies Playing It Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQGrill
Peanut-Butter,

Thanks for the link to the drivers.

Installed the drivers and reboot the machine.

It updated these devices from version 3.0.83.2008 to version 3.0.83.2012
under Sound, Video and Game controllers in Device Manager:

ATI DTV Wonder Analog Audio Capture Device
ATI DTV Wonder Analog AV Capture Device
ATI DTV Wonder Analog AV Crossbar Device
ATI DTV Wonder Digital And Analog Tuner Device
ATI DTV Wonder Digital BDA Capture Device
I saved the new drivers (along with the complete set of MMC update .EXEs) for when I get *my* HDTV Wonder (and I'll see if I can do a straight install using *just* the new drivers and the MMC updaters, along with my existing Catalyst 4.8s).

I did get some good news over the weekend: I got my severence pay, finally (more than enough to do *all* my wish list upgrades).

Here's what's getting added and upgraded:

1 GB DDR400 (or better) SDRAM (Corsair XMS Pro Series) (upgrade from 512 MB DDR333 underclocked to DDR320)
ATI HDTV Wonder
160 GB (or larger) Western Digital SE SATA HD

I'll be copying all data from the existing 80 GB PATA SE to the new drive, which will be my boot drive.

I will *not* need adapter cables, since my mobo supports SATA natively.

I already have SP2 installed.

With this setup, are there any *other* upgrades worth considering?
2 GB DDR2-800 (1 GB Corsair CL5 x2)
200 GB MAXTOR DiamondMax SATA
ATI Radeon HD 3450 PCIe
ATI HDTV Wonder (still going strong)
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Windows 7 x64
openSuSE 11.1

Last edited by PGHammer : Aug 22, 2004 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Additions/Planning/Tactics During The Upgrade
PGHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 01:51 AM   #216
nortus

nortus is still being judged by the masses

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaVinci42
I have more info about that zoomed in ABC channel. Apparently it will only show ANYTHING if the previous channel was 480i. If it was 1080i I only get the sound. For some reason the software is attempting to use the settings for the channel that was tuned just before changing to ABC. My card just doesn't seem to want to tune in 720p or 480p channels. I wish I could manually choose what resolution certain channels tried to diplay at.
Yep. It looks like that was the issue. So I tuned into FOX (that I can tune into without problems) which is in 720p; then I tune to ABC and it detects 720p!

Though the upcoverted 720p from FOX and ABC is not that great in picture quality IMO.

I hope ATI fixes this in the near future.
nortus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 02:33 AM   #217
nortus

Default New HDTV Drivers Etc

Did not notice much of a difference with new HDTV drivers. Maybe a slight improvement with fast motion scenes.... or maybe I think it is better

With fast motion scenes like when in Olympic swimming the camera zooms into a swimmer and the splashing water is very blocky/pixelated.

I get smooth video and audio with under 45% CPU utilization - on an nvidia card... MMC 9.02 got rid of the intermittent video skipping.

Did anyone try the registry settings?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ATI Technologies\Multimedia\CyberLink\PowerDTV

EnableVMR9 (1) - I'm guessing if set to 0 uses overlay? Can't tell the difference.
RenderCloneMode (2) - Not sure what it does, if I up the value AV skips....
UIUseHVA (1) - Use Hardware Video Acceleration?

Anybody got ideas or other registry keys that can be added?

Last edited by nortus : Aug 20, 2004 at 09:15 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 03:19 AM   #218
DaVinci42
Radeon R300

DaVinci42 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortus
Yep. It looks like that was the issue. So I tuned into FOX (that I can tune into without problems) which is in 720p; then I tune to ABC and it detects 720p!

Though the upcoverted 720p from FOX and ABC is not that great in picture quality IMO.

I hope ATI fixes this in the near future.
Make sure to write ATI & let them know of the problem. The more people complain, the quicker it'll get fixed.

Unfortunately for me, I can't receive FOX either even though it has a strong signal.
DaVinci42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 07:26 AM   #219
magius
Radeon R200

magius is still being judged by the masses

I'm going to write to ATI right now.

As for some of the guys having problems with reception, buy a pre-amp. They can be found at good prices and they will help you a lot. Also, buy a longer cable and move that antenna closer to a window and as high as you can. that helped me get 5-10% more signal. Another thing I did (which I read in another forum) is to combine antennas. I bought an amplified UHF antenna, took a splitter and connected both the ATI and amp anttenna, then connected the other end to the HDTV Wonder. It worked like a charm. Signals went up around 10% across all stations (NBC went from the middle 70s to the high 80s). No luck getting UPN though, not even a blip. I live 20-30 miles from all transmitters.
magius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 01:42 PM   #220
DaVinci42
Radeon R300

DaVinci42 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by magius
I'm going to write to ATI right now.

As for some of the guys having problems with reception, buy a pre-amp. They can be found at good prices and they will help you a lot. Also, buy a longer cable and move that antenna closer to a window and as high as you can. that helped me get 5-10% more signal. Another thing I did (which I read in another forum) is to combine antennas. I bought an amplified UHF antenna, took a splitter and connected both the ATI and amp anttenna, then connected the other end to the HDTV Wonder. It worked like a charm. Signals went up around 10% across all stations (NBC went from the middle 70s to the high 80s). No luck getting UPN though, not even a blip. I live 20-30 miles from all transmitters.
What I'm pissed off about is that I'm not getting stations that have strong signals. I mean I'm 1.1 miles from the central San Francisco transmitter (regular TV is crystal clear). I live on the top floor of a 4 story building with zero obstructions except my own walls & ceiling. It CAN'T be a reception problem (for me at least), it has to be a software problem. I mean some of the stations I'm not receiving have over a 90% signal!!!

Is that splitter you're talking about just one of the cheap line splitters? Which pre-amp do you have & how much did it cost? Thanks.
DaVinci42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 01:57 PM   #221
magius
Radeon R200

that's pretty weird... unless you live in a mega-multipath area and that is killing your reception. Also, your building's construction can deteriorate a signal fast, specially those that use metal mesh or similar on the walls and/or roofs. I'm no expert, but if you are so close it should work. Maybe your HDTV Wonder tuner is having problems and all you need is an exchange?

Anyway, yeah, I used one of the better quality cheap ones. The antenna I bought is an RCA three-stage amp antenna. Can't say it is the best, in fact, reception is on par with ATIs, except when I pulled it close to the window. It picked three more channels right off the bat. Radio Shack seems to have a good line of indoor antennas and amps. Ive heard people on other forums talking about them. Prices for the indoor antennas go from $10-20 (non-amp) to $25-60 (amplified). Chack around Radio Shack's site, Amazon's, or Buy.com.

The product is really cool, but I do hope ATI works out the kinks fast. I need my analog TV too.

Hey Stephen, can expect a merged DTV/TV app in the future? Or at least have a software switch to make the whole process easier?
Old Aug 20, 2004, 03:46 PM   #222
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

What should I get first??? THe HD wonder or a new monitor? my current monitor is a...

Quote:
Compaq MV540 Monitor

Full Specifications

Specifications
Monitor Type CRT Monitor

Diagonal Size 15 in

Viewable Size 13.8 in

Display Technology CRT

Resolution 1024 x 768

Pitch 0.28 mm

Color Support Color

Refresh Rate at Max Resolution 60 Hz

Aspect Ratio 4:3

System Type PC

General Product Information
Color White

Connector(s) Required 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15), Mini-phone mono 3.5 mm , Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm

Front Controls Power on/off, Adjust +/- , Select, Menu

Resolution Modes Multiscan

Mounting Included

Included Software Drivers & Utilities

On-Screen Controls Contrast, Brightness, H/V-position, H/V-size, Pincushion distortion, Degauss, Trapezoid, Parallelogram, Reset settings, Exit
How does the signal transition work? would I be able to view the max resolution of high definition? Will it be resized like a 4987x3245 jpeg fit to screen????

I notice with my digital camera taking the 2056x****(?) resolution then resizing it to 1024x768 has much better quality then taking a picture at 1024x768.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 04:26 PM   #223
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Just found out...

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...569&pfp=BROWSE

Compusa has the HD Wonder.

Edit: nearest Compusa is 40 miles
still waiting on best buy or circuit city to have this in stock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.

Last edited by Hyrax : Aug 20, 2004 at 04:29 PM.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 06:12 PM   #224
magius
Radeon R200

Ok, found a couple of things. The HDTV Wonder N E E D S fastwrites ON. No other option, unless you like it taking 80% of your CPU, leave fastwrites on. I just enabled it, went down from 80ish to 30-40% utilization. No more jumps for me. Also, make sure that you have 32bit data transfers enabled on your MoBo. Asus, for example, default is disabled for some weird reason. After updating my BIOS it was disabled, go figure.

Update: That 35-50% is with 1080i. Channels transmiting 720p use 20-35%!!!

Update deux: After a while and for no reason at all CPU went back again into the 80s. Im not sure if it is time related, but it went back to normal after I changed channels.

Last edited by magius : Aug 20, 2004 at 06:37 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 07:55 PM   #225
grog
No longer on Rage3d

I seem to always be in the low to mid 20's at 1080i with my AIW 9700 PRO and I have fast-writes disabled!

Greg
Old Aug 21, 2004, 06:20 PM   #226
magius
Radeon R200

Hmmm, weird... I'll change it back, just to see what happens. Maybe it wasn't that and it was related to the MoBo 32bit transfer setting. Don't know. Ah well!
Old Aug 22, 2004, 12:09 AM   #227
taz101

taz101 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaVinci42
What I'm pissed off about is that I'm not getting stations that have strong signals. I mean I'm 1.1 miles from the central San Francisco transmitter (regular TV is crystal clear). I live on the top floor of a 4 story building with zero obstructions except my own walls & ceiling. It CAN'T be a reception problem (for me at least), it has to be a software problem. I mean some of the stations I'm not receiving have over a 90% signal!!!

Is that splitter you're talking about just one of the cheap line splitters? Which pre-amp do you have & how much did it cost? Thanks.

Believe it our not, it is possible for signals to be too strong. You may need to purchase a 10dB attenuator. It's a little device you put between the input of your tuner and the coax from the attenae.

See here for more info on attenuators.

"What is an Attenuator?
An attenuator is a passive, in-line device that decreases the amount of signal strength by a specified amount (usually expressed in dB). For instance, Channel Vision's model 3000-3 attenuates or reduces the incoming signal strength by 3dB. Attenuators are normally used after an amplifier in an RF system to decrease the signal to televisions located on short coax runs."
taz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2004, 12:43 PM   #228
skinsfan39

skinsfan39 is still being judged by the masses

Hi, I recently purchased the HDTV Wonder from CompUSA and love it for the most part. I am having a few issues though.

First, with the drivers it came with it looked great but it would pause every few seconds. Although the latest drivers seem to fix that, I'm not sure the quality is as good. I'm not totally sure it's completely gone because with the initial set of drivers, it would come and go. Every time I thought I had it solved, it would reappear. So far it hasn't happened with the lastest driver but I just installed it last night and haven't used it a lot yet.

Second (this is the one that concerns me the most), I've mainly been trying to watch the Olympics with it and it looks great while everyone is standing around but as soon as there is a lot of action, the picture becomes pixelated (blocky). I remember seeing a friend's DirectTV picture when it first came out and it was the same way. Is that just a "feature" of having a digital picture or is there some solution for that.

Third, I can't seem to figure out how to make it display TV in realtime. It seems to always be recording and I'd prefer that it just be live. I never use pausing live TV type functionality so it seems like an unneeded strain on my system to have it always recording.

The signal strength is about 91%, if that matters. Running it paired with a X800 Pro (4.8s), the latest suite of drivers/software for the HDTV, and with a XP 3200+ cpu (nforce2 motherboard), 512M of memory.

Final note, is there any other software that works with it or is the supplied software the only solution?
skinsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2004, 02:17 PM   #229
grog
No longer on Rage3d

A lot of questions there. I will take a few of them.

1.) Pauses
========

Pauses are caused by several factors. I think this covers you questions #1 and #2.

a.) Antenna position
Since the antenna is directional you can get reflections if the antenna is not pointed in the driection of the transmitter station.

b.) Distance from transmitter station
Check signal strength. Above 65% should be good. For 1080i content a higher signal strength would be even better. I am currently at 82% on NBC-HD.

c.) Feed to transmitter
Sometimes the content we receive is not good in the first place. I was watching a game that had problems and the problems were are seen on DISH at the same time. Garbage in garbage out.

d.) CPU usage.
I see about 20% usage with 1080i. If you are seeing 100% CPU usage this could also explain the problem. Another factor could be other programs running that are taking a lot of CPU time when the effect occurs. With your setup I don't think this is a problem!

e.) Disk
Your disk should be a fast one if possible. If the disk is highly fragmented this too could cause the problem.

2.) Real-Time Live TV (TV-ON-DEMAND)

Not possible. You have to understand why it is always recording to know why it is not possible not to record.

HDTV is digital. When you receive the signal it is a MPG stream. So when the data gets to your computer the MPG data is stored then processed for display. Since the need to store the MPG stream is required we are always recording. There is no MPG encoding in real-time taking place only moving the MPG data which is large.

TV-ON-DEMAND with analog TV "MMC/TV+" takes about 60% of my CPU here while DTV playing and recording is less than half that about.

In 1080i each frame is 1920x1080. So a lot of data is moved for full 1080i viewing.

Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan39
Hi, I recently purchased the HDTV Wonder from CompUSA and love it for the most part. I am having a few issues though.

First, with the drivers it came with it looked great but it would pause every few seconds. Although the latest drivers seem to fix that, I'm not sure the quality is as good. I'm not totally sure it's completely gone because with the initial set of drivers, it would come and go. Every time I thought I had it solved, it would reappear. So far it hasn't happened with the lastest driver but I just installed it last night and haven't used it a lot yet.

Second (this is the one that concerns me the most), I've mainly been trying to watch the Olympics with it and it looks great while everyone is standing around but as soon as there is a lot of action, the picture becomes pixelated (blocky). I remember seeing a friend's DirectTV picture when it first came out and it was the same way. Is that just a "feature" of having a digital picture or is there some solution for that.

Third, I can't seem to figure out how to make it display TV in realtime. It seems to always be recording and I'd prefer that it just be live. I never use pausing live TV type functionality so it seems like an unneeded strain on my system to have it always recording.

The signal strength is about 91%, if that matters. Running it paired with a X800 Pro (4.8s), the latest suite of drivers/software for the HDTV, and with a XP 3200+ cpu (nforce2 motherboard), 512M of memory.

Final note, is there any other software that works with it or is the supplied software the only solution?
Old Aug 22, 2004, 04:15 PM   #230
skinsfan39

Thanks for the reply grog. I figured some of it was probably me not knowing how the digital stuff is working.

If you don't mind, can you take a look at these pics? I just want to make sure what I have is normal so I don't spend a lot of time trying to "fix" something that is just normal for digital TV.

Nice still pic: http://img19.exs.cx/img19/7885/Image357.jpg

Different race...

More pixelated and blurry: http://img19.exs.cx/img19/3554/Image359.jpg
Completely blurry/pixelated: http://img19.exs.cx/img19/6950/Image360.jpg

The diving event seems to be the most distracting. It'll be really nice and clear but once they're in motion (and especially once they reach the water) the picture breaks down into a very blocky display. For now I've just started watching all of it in a very small window since it's a lot less noticeable that way. Again, I'm just basically looking for some sort of confirmation that this is either normal with digital TV or it's not so if it's not, I can track down what I've got wrong. I had an AIW in the system at one point so I'm afraid something left over could be messing things up. Thanks.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 05:32 PM   #231
vhold
Radeon R100

vhold is still being judged by the masses

Question

The new drivers improved things for me fairly considerably in terms of chopiness but I'm still not particularly satisfied since I can't touch anything whatsoever while it is running. I have an AMD Athlon 3000+, nforce2 mobo, gig of ram, freshly defragged SATA drivers, and the thing runs at 66% cpu and is very easy to get it to chop up. It does seem to be capable of running 100% smooth now though if I just don't touch it. I'm afraid to even change channels because it seems to sometime slip up and freak out and require a restart, audio becomes unsynced, etc.

I really have to wonder what the weird X factor is.

I guess I don't regret buying the HDTV wonder. It's a trip to be able to check out all the strange different HD commentators for sports and the bizarre off handed ways the local stations are using different HD channels for. This weird awkward period where stations just kind of throw HD content out there with partial advertising, etc, isn't going to last too long so in a cheesy way it kinda feels historic to have access to it now.
vhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2004, 08:38 PM   #232
PGHammer
This Olde (AGP) PC

PGHammer is still being judged by the masses

ATI Technologies *Which* CompUSA did you buy from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan39
Thanks for the reply grog. I figured some of it was probably me not knowing how the digital stuff is working.

If you don't mind, can you take a look at these pics? I just want to make sure what I have is normal so I don't spend a lot of time trying to "fix" something that is just normal for digital TV.

Nice still pic: http://img19.exs.cx/img19/7885/Image357.jpg

Different race...

More pixelated and blurry: http://img19.exs.cx/img19/3554/Image359.jpg
Completely blurry/pixelated: http://img19.exs.cx/img19/6950/Image360.jpg

The diving event seems to be the most distracting. It'll be really nice and clear but once they're in motion (and especially once they reach the water) the picture breaks down into a very blocky display. For now I've just started watching all of it in a very small window since it's a lot less noticeable that way. Again, I'm just basically looking for some sort of confirmation that this is either normal with digital TV or it's not so if it's not, I can track down what I've got wrong. I had an AIW in the system at one point so I'm afraid something left over could be messing things up. Thanks.

Which CompUSA did you buy from?

And which NBC station is your source?

There is WBAL-DT Baltimore (Hearst-Argyle) and WRC-DT Washington, DC (NBC O&O). If you are north of DC in Montgomery or Howard Counties, you might be able to pick up *both* stations. If you can, check which one has the cleaner signal.

I'll be picking up my HDTV Wonder this week, and I'm twenty miles due south of WRC-DT's transmitter (4001 Nebraska Avenue, NW, across from AU). The other major HD station, WUSA-DT (Gannett-owned CBS affiliate), is in the same line-of-sight, but two miles further north (4100 Wisconsin Avenue NW, across from the Tenleytown-AU Metro station).

Also, I'm looking for a place to hang some small (720p) capture-clips post-install. (Yes, there will be *more* than just the Olympics...I'm thinking about doing some local news captures, maybe some JAG, etc.)
2 GB DDR2-800 (1 GB Corsair CL5 x2)
200 GB MAXTOR DiamondMax SATA
ATI Radeon HD 3450 PCIe
ATI HDTV Wonder (still going strong)
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Windows 7 x64
openSuSE 11.1
PGHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2004, 09:35 PM   #233
Quick40

Quick40 is still being judged by the masses

Question Where is multview

After trying to order an hdtv wonder from buy.com a week ago and having the sent to warehouse message appear on my screen for 4 days, I cancelled my order and found 1 at Compusa. After 3 hours of trying to install the software I finally got it to work by changing pci slots. for some reason windows knew the card was there but could not install the drivers until I moved the card. I have pretty good reception. Western NY only has a few high def channels but Im receiving them fairly well with the included antennae. Some channels signals fluctuate more than others but NBC HD and CBS HD come in strong as well as PBS. I have it paired with an aiw 9800 pro on a Pentium 2.8 ghz with 1 gig of ram and a Abit ic7 mb. Right now my problem is finding the multview setup. Its not in the initilization wizard. I just installed the latest mmc and drivers and I cant find it. Setup seems to bypass this option. The system sees both cards and tuners.If anyones got this working could you please tell me how you did it.
Quick40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2004, 02:32 PM   #234
skinsfan39

I'm south of DC (about 3 or so hours) and picked it up at a local CompUSA. They didn't have them on the shelves but after checking the website it listed the HDTV Wonder as available in limited quantities. So, I went right back to the store I had just been to earlier in the day and just asked for it. Sure enough, they had them in a room and not on the shelves (probably due to the size of the box -- it's pretty large since it includes the antenna). Another CompUSA in the general area (about 45 minutes away) listed them as in stock instead of limited quantities so I assume that means they have more than a few. So, if you're having trouble finding them that'll probably change soon.

I'm picking up 3 NBC stations with one of them listed as HD, one listed as SD and one is local weather in SD. Most of the channels seem to be that way. I have no idea which NBC station is the source. How do I find out that info? Actually, I think I saw a link somewhere that would check on the HDTV content for the area. Is that what I need to check?
Old Aug 23, 2004, 04:01 PM   #235
Peanut-Butter
Radeon R100

Peanut-Butter is still being judged by the masses

skinsfan39, you can goto antennaweb.org

Click the "choose as antenna" button, type in your address and get a list of all stations in your area. It will even tell you how far each station is from you. If you have a compass, you can use the "Compass Orientation" numbers to help you adjust your antenna.
Peanut-Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2004, 04:09 PM   #236
skinsfan39

Thanks Peanut-Butter, that site is great!
Old Aug 23, 2004, 08:31 PM   #237
magius
Radeon R200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick40
After trying to order an hdtv wonder from buy.com a week ago and having the sent to warehouse message appear on my screen for 4 days, I cancelled my order and found 1 at Compusa.

That's my story. I finally ordered at Amazon.com ($185), coughed up enough for second day shipping and, believe it or not, it arrived the next day. The package shipped from Pennsylvannia that same afternoon and arrived by 4:00pm sharp the next day. They won me over after that.

Now, if only ATI fixed (or told me how to fix) the Analog TV problem (it doesn't want to install!!!), I would be wery, wery happy indeed.

BTW, turning to what I posted earlier about antennas. Did a little more research. It is preferably if the antennas are the same and aligned. I can't seem to find the page right now, if I do I'll post it. Anyway, ATI's antenna seems to be the best choice for my area, I added a stand alone amplifier (bought at Radio Shack after returning the amp antenna to Best Buy) and it rocks.

Go google for the Silver Sensor antenna, you'll notice it is the same design as ATI's. You'll also find how many people are raving about it. Seems like ATI gave us a very good choice of an antenna.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 12:33 AM   #238
nortus

Default Another way to improve signal

I tried getting a amplified UHF antenna, but didn't do much better than the ATI antenna. So that was returned. But I changed the cable from the antenna to the card and signals improved for all 5 networks. (66-85%)

I replaced it with RG-6 cable, I believe the one ATI provides is RG-59.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 09:25 AM   #239
skinsfan39

Okay, I was reading that the pixelated/blockiness problem with action in the Olympics could be due to NBC's use of multicasting which decreases their bandwidth (apparently -- I'm very new to this if you couldn't tell so I'm throwing around terms without really knowing what they mean). I watched part of the football game last night and it seemed a little better. It still breaks down into a pixelated display during heavy action but not nearly as bad as the Olympics. The signal for ABC was slightly less at 88% while the olympics were at 91%. I used the antenna site to get a listing but haven't used a compass to tune my direction yet. I'll do that as soon as I find my compass or buy a new one.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 02:42 PM   #240
peterli
HDTV Wanderer

peterli is still being judged by the masses

I have updated to the latest hdtv drivers, cat 4.8, and mmc 9.02
but is still getting stutter/choppy/jumping/pixelation. CPU usage
hover around 20-30%, occassionally jumping to 80-90+%. While it
is better than the original driver set from the CD, it seems to have
more motion artifacts. I am wonder if ATI is dropping B or P frames
to keep up the with data throughput and audio sync in the newer
driver ? It would look smoother, but more pixelated...
peterli is offline   Reply With Quote