Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Legacy ATI Discussion and Technical Support » AIW / Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AIW / Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support Discussion and support forum for all of the All-In-Wonder Radeon cards, the TV-Wonder, Remote Wonder I and II, the new HDTV Wonder, and basically anything with VIVO support.

Old Jul 28, 2004, 12:11 PM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Dude 007

Dude 007 is still being judged by the masses

Default Mine's on the way from ATI apparently...

========================================================
Thank you for shopping at ShopATI.

The following product/s which you ordered have been shipped on 7/27/2004
from Carrollton, TX US 75006:

Order Information:
Order ID#: ...
Order Date: 7/26/2004
Shipped Item/s:

Shipped 1 HDTV WONDER (SKU# 2546404)

Package Tracking Information:
========================================================
Dude 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 03:58 PM   #62
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwel
Apparently it's just for XP!
If it is just for XP....

Nah, Nah...That's suicide for ATI. They would not do that to me... THe minimum requirements dont mention XP only.....

O god, It does..... I guess I am going to have to get XP, or a tuner that does support WIN2000....

No for microsoft!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 08:35 PM   #63
tristancarton
Radeon Sea Islands

tristancarton is still being judged by the masses

I run Windows Server 2003 and Windows 2000 and I plan on buying the hdtv wonder within the next month or two. Due to the lack of support for server 2003 I have found out that a lot of xp drivers and programs work under 2003. My guess is that ati only "officially" supports this card for windows xp however it will prob work on both of these nt kernel operating systems.

note: It better work under those operating systems or else ati is going to get some nice email from me. Honestly aren't 2000, xp , and server so closely related that drivers/software should be the same. (I have been waiting for this to come out ever since I took my wintv-d out of my computer)

Off to view hdtv wonder reviews to see if anyone tested with a windows 2000 setup.
Primary: dfi ut250gb / a64 mobile 3400 62w clawhammer / 3x512mb pdp xbl tccd / WD 120Gb 7200 8Mb x2, RAID0 / 250Gb WD 7200 8Mb external / Sound Blaster 2 ZS Plat. / HDTV Wonder / 2xTheater 550 pro / Pioneer dvr105 / Pioneer dvd115 / Visiontek x800xt / Antec 550w Truepower / Logitech z680 / IBM p260 21" FD Trinitron x2 / Windows XP-MCE2005, Legal Version

Secondary: dell xps m170 / 2.0 Ghz pentium-m / 1024mb / 120Gb 5400rpm / 7800 gtx go / 1920x1200 trubrite
tristancarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 28, 2004, 10:15 PM   #64
pxl2566s
Radeon R520

pxl2566s is still being judged by the masses

So let's say I have a MSI Radeon 9800 Pro and a KDS XF-9b 19inch and I buy that HDTV Wonder do I have to buy something else to get it to work?

Thermaltake Xaser III (Silver)
Thermaltake Pure Power 420Watts PSU
AMD Athlon 64-bit 3400+ 1MB Cache Socket 754
Gigabyte K8NS Pro nForce3 250 Chipset
Mushkin PC3200 2x512MB 2.5-4-4-7
MSI Radeon 9800XT 128MB 256-bit
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
36.7GB Raptor
WD1600BB
pxl2566s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 10:39 PM   #65
tristancarton
Radeon Sea Islands

tristancarton is still being judged by the masses

I believe the hdtv wonder comes with an antenna. So as long as you are close enough to a digital tv station and have windows xp (or maybe windows 2000 or server 2003) you should be okay.
Primary: dfi ut250gb / a64 mobile 3400 62w clawhammer / 3x512mb pdp xbl tccd / WD 120Gb 7200 8Mb x2, RAID0 / 250Gb WD 7200 8Mb external / Sound Blaster 2 ZS Plat. / HDTV Wonder / 2xTheater 550 pro / Pioneer dvr105 / Pioneer dvd115 / Visiontek x800xt / Antec 550w Truepower / Logitech z680 / IBM p260 21" FD Trinitron x2 / Windows XP-MCE2005, Legal Version

Secondary: dell xps m170 / 2.0 Ghz pentium-m / 1024mb / 120Gb 5400rpm / 7800 gtx go / 1920x1200 trubrite
tristancarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 03:33 PM   #66
dwellen
Radeon R100

dwellen is still being judged by the masses

Default Has anyone received the HDTV borad from buy.com

Ordered one a few days ago and was wondering if anyone has
received thiers yet?

Thanks,
Dana
dwellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 06:38 PM   #67
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Does anybody know or can anybody find out for certain that HDTV will work with something other than XP, like 2000? I am fervently awaiting an answer to this...

From what I hear. It cant decode cable signals? I have a dorm cable connection. I doubt they are subscribed to any HDTV packages anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 06:50 PM   #68
Maxwel
Radeon R200

Maxwel is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax
Does anybody know or can anybody find out for certain that HDTV will work with something other than XP, like 2000? I am fervently awaiting an answer to this...

From what I hear. It cant decode cable signals? I have a dorm cable connection. I doubt they are subscribed to any HDTV packages anyway...
The ATI site does not have MMC for Win2K & the HDTV Wonder.
Maxwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2004, 01:45 PM   #69
Grimister
Radeon R100

Grimister is still being judged by the masses

Ok, I have had my HDTV card since thursday last week, I had one on pre-order. Here are my system specs then some pro's and cons that I see with the new card.

Pentium 4 3.0 ghz 800 mhz front side bus
1 gig ram
Intel 865 perl motherboard
2 sata 120 gig drives raid
1 80 gig maxtor
1 60 seagate
1 memorex 8x dvd burner
1 AIW 9700 pro
1 HDTV pci card

Now I know I already have a capture card with the AIW but I wanted something to capture the free HDTV signal. By the way, they do work together.

CONS:

drivers for the analog capture are very flaky
the mmc ap capturing from ANALOG tuner on HDTV card locks up 95% of time after a few minutes

the HDTV app only captues the stream using the on demand function, you then have to run the file through the library app to get it to a working mpeg file

the mpeg conversion software in the libray app sucks, If you leave it full quality it's ok but if you use the library app to go down to SVCD or VCD then the mpeg has been compressed with what looks to be a low quality mpeg encoding software program.

PRO'S

No more audio cable going from an audio out to the audio in on my sound card, I want to point out to ATI this is a very good thing. I have no audio glitches to work though on this new card

there are 2 antanna inputs on back of card, one for CATV the other for over the air HDTV

there is the standard small blue breakout box for RCA and SVID inputs into the HDTV card

The ANALOG capture using this new card is way better then the ANALOG capture from my AIW, the AIW use's the theater 200 chip this new HDTV card is using something else, it's under a sticker that I don't want to remove since this may unvalidate my waranty

Well that's all I can think of for now if anyone else has anything else to add please feel free to reply. I have been using AIW cards ever since the first AIW rage. And I think if ATI can get some of the software bugs fixed quickly I will keep this card for all capturing and then be free to by one of the high quality x800 cards for my 3d gaming
Grimister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2004, 04:11 PM   #70
vgame64
Radeon R100

vgame64 is still being judged by the masses

Processor

well i finally got tired of waiting for buy.com a my status kept seying on order.....so i scooted over to ati.com and into there store and saw that they have limited quantities so I didn't wait and used the $10 off promo and now they are going to ship my card tom for $201 after shipping instead of buy.com's $18x dollars. The price to pay for the impatient like me.
vgame64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 06:45 AM   #71
AcuraTLSFan

AcuraTLSFan is still being judged by the masses

I have a question about the antenna inputs, there are 2, one for Analog, and one for HDTV. Aren't most of the rooftop antennas capable of recieving analog and hdtv signal, or do you have to use the antenna that is supplied for HDTV signal?
AcuraTLSFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 07:58 AM   #72
jgs9455
Radeon R200

jgs9455 is still being judged by the masses

Technically ANY antenna can be used for HDTV reception. There is no such thing as a HDTV antenna, they are just the same UHF/VHF antennas that have been around forever. Most HDTV channels are on UHF, and only a few are on VHF. The antenna supplied with the HDTV Wonder appears to be the Silver Sensor, which is a very good directional indoor antenna. It is the industry standard. Usually any quality outdoor antenna will out perform a indoor one.

I myself had a amplified Terk TV55 that was just OK, and then bought a Silver Sensor (half the price), put the amp on it, and that is way better. By the way, I live in an apartment that faces north, the opposite direction of the broadcast antennas in the south. The only reception I get is reflected/bounced signal, and I still do pretty good - 70%. When I buy my house, I'm putting a antenna on the roof facing south, hoping to get 95%.

On a different note, I still have not heard anything from my Buy.com preorder. I hope it will be a good match with my 9800 Pro with video out, since the HDTV Wonder has both analog + HD tuners with video in. I couldn't wait or find a X800. Plus the 9800 Pro was on sale for $179 and I had $140 in gift cards
jgs9455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 02:06 PM   #73
Grimister
Radeon R100

Grimister is still being judged by the masses

I live in an apartment complex also, I face the east with most of my channels to the east, south east, I am 40 to 50 miles away from from most of my channels and I could only get the major channels without a line amp. I got ABC, CBS, and NBC channels which was ok but I wanted UPN and PBS HD so I had a friend that still had one of his old line amps laying around from before he got DISH it was a simple in/out VHF/UHF 50-850mhz amp that boosted around 12-15db and I now get with the same included antenna all the HD channels that are broadcast in my area. Since I live in an apartment the signal was way better outside so I have taken one of the $20 camera tripods from walmart and made it my antenna mount, when I want to watch HDTV I pull it out to my patio, plug in the amp and point it east south east and she works like a charm. My apartment complex does not alow mounting of external antenna's.
Grimister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 09:33 PM   #74
df13

df13 is still being judged by the masses

I have it and it works in W2K....but I've also found out you have to an ATI videocard for it to work properly...
df13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 08:32 AM   #75
Maxwel
Radeon R200

Quote:
Originally Posted by df13
I have it and it works in W2K....but I've also found out you have to an ATI videocard for it to work properly...
What works in W2K?
Old Aug 3, 2004, 09:00 PM   #76
df13

df13 is still being judged by the masses

the HDTV Wonder card according to ATI's website it's only suppose to work with XP...
df13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 09:07 PM   #77
Dude 007

Dude 007 is still being judged by the masses

Well I have mine. Normal TV tuning works now. I have a funky "can't my mouse pointer thing happening in Guideplus" but I'm sure there's some fix for that. The HDTV tuning stutters for some reason. Looking for a fox for that. (Originally I got an error coming out of the initialization wizard, now no error, just chop). What are folks doing for the cable HD channels in the 700's or so? Using the set top box to feed those to the HDTV?
Dude 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2004, 01:21 AM   #78
subferno
Radeon R100

subferno is still being judged by the masses

So will a new AIW version with HDTV support come out soon?

I currently have an AIW 9700 Pro and plan on upgrading my vid card to a X800XT PE and was hoping that the HDTV Wonder would be tagged along as the AIW version.
subferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2004, 12:57 AM   #79
AcuraTLSFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by subferno
So will a new AIW version with HDTV support come out soon?

I currently have an AIW 9700 Pro and plan on upgrading my vid card to a X800XT PE and was hoping that the HDTV Wonder would be tagged along as the AIW version.
I don't think that they will pair up the two cards into one anytime soon. Before when they annouced it, the AIW HTDV was two cards, The AGP video card boxed with the PCI HDTV. Either way, I think it's better two have 2 seperate cards, so when you upgrade, you can still have a TV card instead of nothing.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 01:00 AM   #80
AcuraTLSFan

Any of you guys have a recommendation on a good pre-amp to use with this?
Old Aug 5, 2004, 08:49 AM   #81
Agustus
Rage3D Veteran

Agustus is still being judged by the masses

So the HDTV Wonder supposedly needs WinXP,……

Anyone know if it works with WinXP MCE 2004!?!

Inquiring minds want to know!
Agustus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2004, 09:47 AM   #82
jgs9455
Radeon R200

Thumbs up Looks like HDTV Wonder buy.com preorders are now shipping....

Yeah, yea - you guys that ordered from ati.com already have yours - but you paid a little more!!

----------------------------------
Hello jgs9455,

Just wanted to let you know that the item(s) listed below from your
order #xxxxxxxx have shipped and are on the way to your door.

If you have any questions regarding this or any other order, please
feel free to contactus at any time by using our email form at http://www.buy.com/support.

We built Buy.com with one thing in mind - enabling you and all our
customers to buy products better - that means offering you top brands, superstore selection, low prices, and outstanding service.

Once again, thank you for your order. We look forward to earning your
business as we set out to be the "best place to buy on the Internet."

Sincerely,
Customer Support Team

Order #xxxxxxxx

sku: 10375953
description: HDTV WONDER PCI TV TUNER RCE NA NTSC REMOTE CONTROL
EDITION
qty: 1
ship date: 8/4/2004
--------------------------------------------------------

And when I track the order on FedEx it says est delivery Aug 6th!!
Old Aug 5, 2004, 10:23 AM   #83
Maxwel
Radeon R200

Quote:
Originally Posted by df13
the HDTV Wonder card according to ATI's website it's only suppose to work with XP...
Well, the web site doesn't have MMC for Win2K and the HDTV Wonder. Now with the AIW, you can capture with 3rd party products (Vdub, AVI_IO) as long as the display driver package(which includes the capture drivers) is installed. What about the TV Wonder? Does MMC install the necessary drivers for the capture device?
Old Aug 6, 2004, 12:23 AM   #84
grog
No longer on Rage3d

grog is still being judged by the masses

For the ATI HDTV WONDER S-VIDEO and Composite the direct-show filters are used in the same way prior AIW products do.

For example; you can use the amcap program from Microsoft DX-SDK to play and capture from the S-VIDEO and Composite lines of the ATI HDTV WONDER card fine.

\DXSDK\Samples\C++\DirectShow\Capture\AMCap\amcap.exe

InterVideo WinDVD Creator also is able to capture and play video from the S-VIDEO and Composite lines of the ATI HDTV WONDER card.

Now the DTV section is a whole different ball game. I am not sure what ATI is using as far as API level but it works darn well.

Here are some specs that floored me when I did them.
Note: Watching HDTV does require a lot of CPU cycles when compared to SD or even DVD, both of which are much lower quality then HDTV broadcasts.

What really is interesting is how well the ATI components fair when playing HDTV content.

Ch: 30-1 ABC Digital 720P
12:00 PM (180 Minutes)
DTV Program

Watching
--------
% Interrupt Time 0.243
% Processor Time 19.479
% Interrupts/sec 1294.755

Recording
---------
% Interrupt Time 0.158
% Processor Time 20.186
% Interrupts/sec 1292.026

Playing (.vcr format from media Library)
----------------------------------------
% Interrupt Time 0.056
% Processor Time 17.801
% Interrupts/sec 1266.233

Playing (exported HD MPEG2(native format) ATI Media player
----------------------------------------------------------
% Interrupt Time 0.300
% Processor Time 20.913
% Interrupts/sec 1262.699

Playing (exported HD MPEG2(native format)Windows Media Player 9
---------------------------------------------------------------
% Interrupt Time 0.167
% Processor Time 97.879
% Interrupts/sec 1258.071

Playing (exported HD MPEG2(native format)WinDVD version 4.0 DXVA
(Hardware acceleration enabled)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
% Interrupt Time 1.221
% Processor Time 96.045
% Interrupts/sec 1499.669

As you can see the ATI HDTV software uses about 20% worst case with 720p content on my system.

Once the HDTV MPEG NATIVE format was exported ATI software was able to play the content at 20.9% while both Windows Media 9 and WinDVD were near 100% with a lot of dropped frames, they just can't keep up with this rate. WinDVD is using hardware acceleration!

When you think about 720p as 1280x720x24BPP for each frame shown you can see that are moving a lot of data quickly.

With DVD players in the past many went for features, now with HDTV you have to go for speed and ATI has it.

I recorded a PBS Nature series special on Birds which was broadcast 720p format. I burned it to DVD using NERO in UDF format.

The created movie played great on my wife's computer using ATI MMC Player.
She has a Athlon Socket A at 1Ghz and a ATI 8500DV card.

So for right now, today you can use 3rd party products including Virtual Dub and AVI_IO with the S-VIDEO and Composite inputs on the ATI HDTV WONDER card but for DTV you better stick with ATI software. It will take a while for any 3rd Party software to get the performace already including for free with the ATI HDTV card.

Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwel
Well, the web site doesn't have MMC for Win2K and the HDTV Wonder. Now with the AIW, you can capture with 3rd party products (Vdub, AVI_IO) as long as the display driver package(which includes the capture drivers) is installed. What about the TV Wonder? Does MMC install the necessary drivers for the capture device?
Old Aug 6, 2004, 07:31 AM   #85
EMunEeE
Formerly MrEMan4K

EMunEeE is still being judged by the masses

How is the remote with the HDTV Wonder?
Old Aug 6, 2004, 07:35 AM   #86
jgs9455
Radeon R200

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEMan4k
It is the original Remote Wonder, not the newer Remote Wonder 2
Old Aug 6, 2004, 07:38 AM   #87
EMunEeE
Formerly MrEMan4K

EMunEeE is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgs9455
It is the original Remote Wonder, not the newer Remote Wonder 2
Old Aug 6, 2004, 07:56 AM   #88
jgs9455
Radeon R200

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog
Once the HDTV MPEG NATIVE format was exported ATI software was able to play the content at 20.9% while both Windows Media 9 and WinDVD were near 100% with a lot of dropped frames, they just can't keep up with this rate. WinDVD is using hardware acceleration!
Greg
This is a great discovery!! People have been quick to bash this card - and it's hardly out yet. Look how long people have been playing with different versions of the MyHD and Fusion cards. Those cards have had many hardware and software revisions and still have issues. I'm not saying the HDTV Wonder is perfect, but it can only get better.

Any new HDTV cards on the scene could be good for all of us. When others start to notice that ATi's cards/software use 20% of resourses, while WinMediaPlayer9 & WinDVD uses >90% - we win. Why? Because maybe they will improve their stuff now that someone else has done it better. Example -
I remember having to originally install a Hollywood Magic Plus mpeg2 card just to watch DVDs some years ago. Now (along with faster processors) computers better support DVDs - with software and graphics cards that can handle mpeg decoding.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 07:58 AM   #89
jgs9455
Radeon R200

Does anyone know how this card handles the broadcast flag?
I get mine today
Old Aug 6, 2004, 12:54 PM   #90
jgs9455
Radeon R200

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEMan4k
I'll post how the Remote Wonder I works with the HDTV Wonder, but with my current AIW it works pretty good. Buttons are placed funny, but you get used to it.

Remote Wonder II was supposed to be better, but I haven't tried it. And some people reported issues with it.