Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Legacy ATI Discussion and Technical Support » AIW / Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AIW / Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support Discussion and support forum for all of the All-In-Wonder Radeon cards, the TV-Wonder, Remote Wonder I and II, the new HDTV Wonder, and basically anything with VIVO support.

Old Jun 30, 2004, 06:48 AM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
rbV5
Crossfire enabled

rbV5 is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: HDTV Wonder Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciDoctor
HDTVGuru and rbV5 please take your discussion to PM.

This is not the place to debate semantics .

Please keep to the topic and not a constant rebuttal of each others posts ; this is not an OT thread.

Both of you have points which are valid within the context of the thread and the discussion.

Please modify your offending posts or delete them.
I disagree, but fine. I'll delete my posts and remove myself from the thread.
Gaming PC: XP MCE 2005:ATI X1800XT 512MB(x2):ASUS A8R-MVP:Sapphire Theatrix 550pro:ATI HDTV Wonder:AMD64 X2 [email protected]:2GB 3200 A-DATA Ram:NEC 3550a DVD burner:160GB Seagate SATA:200GB WD IDE:60GB Maxtor IDE:22" Mitsubishi CRT:17" analog Rosewill LCD:55" Philips RPTV:Logitech MX1000:Logitech z560:Sennheiser HD 212pro

Bedroom PC: XP MCE 2005:ATI X1800XL:MSI MS-7093 RS480M2:ATI eHome Wonder:ATI HDTV Wonder:1GB Kingmax PC3200 DDR:NEC 1300A DVD Burner:Viewsonic N2750w 27" LCD:Seagate 200.0 GB SATA:Logitech MX1000:Logitech X-530
rbV5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 11:55 AM   #32
HDTVGuru
Radeon R100

HDTVGuru is still being judged by the masses

Sci, like my pal rvb5, I disagree but I have edited my posts.

There's a lot to this HDTV issue, especially concerning PCs, DRM, and exactly what you get for your dollar. Both of us added info which will help readers determine the best mix of HDTV Wonder and other parts to make it work in their neck of the woods. Some will be plug-and-play, some will need a LOT more work.

And while some folks do have what sounds like a big success with HDTV, that is not the likely experience of most casual users who just decide to try it. Very competent and knowledgable folks over at AVSFORUM have been struggling for years to get PC HDTV to work as well as Analog now does. They continue to have trouble, even those with direct engineering support from vendors. The fact ATI decided to play in the PC HDTV arena doesn't magically sweep away all the difficulties. (and the reviews note the MMC side is still lagging in function and stability)

Rage3D tends to coddle ATI a bit much. Any time somebody criticizes them, the response seems to be furiously protective and personally hostile. This IS an ATI-Centric board after all, and one would assume ATI appreciates constructive criticism, helping them design and build new, exciting, revenue-generating products. They don't need "YES MEN". The HDTV Wonder is a perfect example why. It's far from reveloutionary, yet is greeted like it's a pioneering effort to deliver a product like nothing anybody has seen.

I am not saying the HDTVWonder isn't a perfectly good card, technically well executed (unfortunately, the software seems to be lagging...) and as good as any others on the market.

I AM saying that ATI underachieved with it and they deserve to be castigated rather than congratulated.

Compared to competitors in PC HDTV, ATI has vast resources.
ATI designs and builds HDTV tuner chips and systems
They chose the NXT2004 vs. the NXT2005 for this card
Even with extra years of development time, the HDTVW offers nothing but perhaps a slight evolution past competitor's cards.
Still no MCE compatability despite MCE "Symphony" future paradigm

It's sort of like going to the Detroit Auto Show, expecting to see the new " 'Vette", watching the crowd get worked up into a frenzy as the lights flash and the Chevrolet platform turns, music blares, the supermodel grabs the cloth covering it, rips it out of the way and there for all to see is the new.... Chevette?????? Quite a letdown.

I think both rb5 and I have discussed many of the pitfalls, assumptions, misconceptions and other irritating aspects of HDTV on the PC, including pretty much an accurate picture of what the HDTV Wonder can or cannot do.

If your thought is that we got too spirited, I apologize. Sometimes people do their best thinking when they get motivated!
HDTVGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 09:15 PM   #33
Pongo
Custom User Title

Pongo is still being judged by the masses

Question HDTV Wonder Combo

Does anybody have any idea as to when to expect the HDTV card + AIW combo ATI stated in the press release a LONG time ago? Guess this is all speculation but are they waiting for thier X800 variant w/ PCIe for real time HDTV editing?

Also, a question about receiving HD signals. Now I know this card recieves regular analog signals from what I understand. If say UPN (DC station) is broadcasting Enterprise in HD format but I can only recieve the signal over cable due to being ~ 100 miles from DC can I enjoy the higher res?
Pongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 6, 2004, 11:51 PM   #34
HDTVGuru
Radeon R100

HDTVGuru is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: HDTV Wonder Combo

Most of us thought we'd see the card by now. I'm guessing August.

The HDTV Wonder doesn't have any kind of input to take your HD Cable image and pipe it into the PC. All Svideo and Composite signals are Analog. In your case, probably nice Analog. But Analog.

If your STB has a FireWire port, see if it is activated and connect it to your PC. (need FireWire on the PC too, of course) Right now, this is about the only way to get Digital TV into your PC in Digital format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongo
Does anybody have any idea as to when to expect the HDTV card + AIW combo ATI stated in the press release a LONG time ago? Guess this is all speculation but are they waiting for thier X800 variant w/ PCIe for real time HDTV editing?

Also, a question about receiving HD signals. Now I know this card recieves regular analog signals from what I understand. If say UPN (DC station) is broadcasting Enterprise in HD format but I can only recieve the signal over cable due to being ~ 100 miles from DC can I enjoy the higher res?
HDTVGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2004, 09:00 AM   #35
ShiningArcanine
Radeon R520

ShiningArcanine is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock-n-Awe
200 bucks is higher than i expected it to be.
I agree. The price is too high. I'd was expecting this to replace the TV Wonder while maintaining the TV Wonder's price point.
ShiningArcanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 02:30 AM   #36
AIWNow
Radeon R200

AIWNow is still being judged by the masses

Default Orderable at Buy.com

This may or may not mean anything about availability but, you can order the HDTV wonder at buy.com now.
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...953&dcaid=1688
AIWNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 01:53 PM   #37
jgs9455
Radeon R200

jgs9455 is still being judged by the masses

I wonder if the $174 will be a good price when it comes out offically?
jgs9455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 09:22 AM   #38
pNoc
Radeon R200

pNoc is still being judged by the masses

1. I can't believe none of you are complaining that the HDTV wonder isn't coming with the Remote Wonder 2. I'm personally very disappointed in Ati's decision on this matter.

Last edited by pNoc : Jul 14, 2004 at 09:26 AM.
pNoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 01:36 PM   #39
Peanut-Butter
Radeon R100

Peanut-Butter is still being judged by the masses

Well i just pre-order one from buy.com (sure hope it's released within the next 3-4 weeks). All the reviews i read said it ships with MMC 9.0, does anybody know if the current version of MMC (9.1) supports the HDTV Wonder?
Peanut-Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 05:51 PM   #40
magius
Radeon R200

magius is still being judged by the masses

I am glad to finally see some people talking objectively about ATI's offering. My question is, how does this card compares to other offerings out there. I mean, besides the obvious price and "support" difference. Anyone here knows how they compare in features, software, etc.?

I'm frankly getting tired of MMC, in fact I think it time for ATI to dump most of it and redesign from scratch. Real support for multimonitors, be it real or just an easier way to pull the mirror feature (besides going to te videocard properties everytime). (If there is an easier way let me know.)
magius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 08:46 PM   #41
Peanut-Butter
Radeon R100

i completely agree that ATI needs to dump MMC and develop new software. The MMC interface is stale, boring and UGLY. ATI makes excellent hardware that is held back by their software. As the owner of a AIW 9800pro i have found capturing video to be more of a hassle than is should be. ATI needs a new exciting and FUN to use interface.

However, most of the other HDTV cards out there have issues as well. My biggest fear is anything worth recording may soon be flagged so it can't be recorded. Why is ATI including an antenna in the box. Any indoor antenna will be useless for anybody more than 25 miles from their stations. They could cut the price some by ditching it.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 10:04 PM   #42
Conundrum
Radeon R100

Conundrum is still being judged by the masses

Do we know for sure if HDTV wonder can or cannot record flagged program?
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 01:31 PM   #43
virent

virent is still being judged by the masses

Default Work in conjunction with existing all-in-wonder?

I have an existing All-in-Wonder 9600 Pro. Will the HDTV wonder work in conjunction with this card if I connect all my inputs(RF-in, S-Video,RCA) to the HDTV wonder card? Will the MMC be confused as to which tuner to use?
Is there a way to disable the tuner on the existing AIW card?
virent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 01:37 PM   #44
Liuke
Fuzzy Bunnies go BOIIING!

Liuke is still being judged by the masses

Hmm, that's a good ques. that I don't know the answer to. I do know right now that if you pair an AIW w/ one of ATI's TV Wonder cards and have inputs properly connected to both, you can watch two channels on TV at once in PIP mode and stuff. Perhaps you will be able to do something similar if you pair an HDTV Wonder w/ an existing AIW except that you would be able to watch one channel in HD potentially.

Since ATI is going to release some AIW packages that simply bundle in an HDTV Wonder along w/ the AIW, I assume they have already thought about and addressed this issue. Anyone know what ATI's official word on this is?
A64 X2 3800+ | Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe | 2 x 512 MB Crucial Ballistix PC3200 | 2 x BFG 6800 GT OC | BFG 550W PSU | WD Raptor 74GB | WD 160GB SE | Lite-On 52x32x52 CD-RW + 16X DVD-ROM | Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 | Logitech Z-680 5.1 Speakers | Logitech G15 | G5 | MX1000 | Ideazon Zboard | 3DMark03 = 20963 | 3DMark05 = 9645

P4 2.8C | Asus P4P800 Deluxe | 2x256MB Kingston HyperX PC3500 and 2x512MB Corsair Value DDR400 | ATI X800 XL | Antec TrueBlue 480W | WD 40GB | Saitek Eclipse KB | Razer Diamondback Plasma LE

Athlon XP-M 2500+ | Abit NF7-S | 2 x 256MB Corsair Value PC3200 and 1 x 512MB Simpletech Nitro PC3500 | AIW 9600 Pro | Enermax Noisetaker 470W PSU | WD 100GB SE | WD 80GB | WD 40GB | Lite-On 40x12x48 CD-RW | Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 1 | Logitech Cordless MX Duo + MX518
Liuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 02:32 PM   #45
MMC Oracle
Radeon R200

MMC Oracle is still being judged by the masses

When you use the SVideo or Composite inputs on the HDTV WONDER, you get a TV Player specifically for the NTSC portion of the tuner, and through the standard desktop connector selector button you can change your input.

The initial release of the HDTV WONDER does not support HDTV playback in MULTVIEW. In a future release, the NTSC tuner on the HDTV WONDER could be a MULTVIEW source with an ALL-IN-WONDER in the same system.
MMC Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 07:12 AM   #46
jgs9455
Radeon R200

ATI Technologies

I'm thinking that a X800Pro VIVO and the HDTV Wonder would be a interesting combo, especially bundled together for $500.
Old Jul 18, 2004, 09:02 AM   #47
Riktar

Riktar is still being judged by the masses

I am presently using my AIW9000 as the vid card in my HTPC which directly feeds my CRT PJ from the VGA port. The TV out is going to my plain old TV in another room.

I also have an 9000 Pro Radeon laying around that I would like to use as the Primary card so I could use the dual VGA output capabilities. However then I lose my TV tuner capability as well as video input.

Is it possible to simply add the HDTV Wonder to the 9000 Pro Radeon and still take advantage of the dual VGA outputs in overlay mode for feeding the fullscreen output to the CRT PJ while doing the controlling on a seperate primary monitor?

Another thought is to simply add a PCI Radeon card to my computer. Would this allow me to use the PCI card as the 2nd monitor (Overlay mode) output to my PJ?
Riktar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2004, 11:45 AM   #48
mjclifford

mjclifford is still being judged by the masses

Default New Post? Does the 8500 DV work the HDTV AIW?

First time not lurking on this board and could not find any FAQ for posting a new thread, so pressed Reply. Here goes..

Spent 70 minutes on ATI web site looking for info on the AIW HDTV Wonder card, if it worked with the 8500 DV. Heard that the 8500 may not have enough horsepower and/or not support a new video standard.

Can anybody help? Thanks in advance.

mjclifford
mjclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 12:30 AM   #49
fanbanlo
Radeon Evergreen

fanbanlo is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclifford
First time not lurking on this board and could not find any FAQ for posting a new thread, so pressed Reply. Here goes..

Spent 70 minutes on ATI web site looking for info on the AIW HDTV Wonder card, if it worked with the 8500 DV. Heard that the 8500 may not have enough horsepower and/or not support a new video standard.

Can anybody help? Thanks in advance.

mjclifford
9500+ required.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 07:44 PM   #50
Dimahnbloe
Radeon R100

Dimahnbloe is still being judged by the masses

Default HDTV Wonder Already Shipping!!!

Guys and gals, it looks like the HDTV Wonder is already shipping. The evidence is as follows:

1. This website use to say pre-order, but now states it is currently shipping in 4-6 days
Link:
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/def...spx?edc=662778

2. Their is a thread in the AVS forum from a guy who stated that he received his yesterday and is working on a review
Link:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=422845
Dimahnbloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 10:34 PM   #51
jgs9455
Radeon R200

From ATi's website there is a link
http://shop.ati.com/product.asp?sku=2546404

EXPECTED SHIP DATE 7/28/2004
Old Jul 25, 2004, 08:02 AM   #52
Dude 007

Dude 007 is still being judged by the masses

The guy in question is: nintari. He said

"it is aprequalification sample for review. I am trying to get in contact with ATI with some questions I have right now." So it was not a retail purchase.

I'm trying to decide whether I'm better off ordering from buy.com at $165, or is there a benefit by going directly to ATI @ $199? (Better ship date, etc).

Last edited by Dude 007 : Jul 25, 2004 at 08:14 AM.
Dude 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2004, 12:01 PM   #53
Dude 007

I think I am ready to place a preorder somewhere for this. Who's done so? Has the delivery date been steady or has it slipped (particularly for ATI website preorders)? Thanks.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 09:21 AM   #54
jgs9455
Radeon R200

7/28/2004 is the first time ATi has released a ship date.
I preordered from Buy.com at $184 (with shipping)
Old Jul 26, 2004, 02:10 PM   #55
Peanut-Butter
Radeon R100

ATI now list the HDTV Wonder as in stock, also they now have the manual available for download here:

http://www.ati.com/support/manualpdf...12&submit=GO%2
Old Jul 26, 2004, 02:18 PM   #56
Dude 007

I went ahead and ordered directly from ATI--hopefully I'll have it in 3-5 days!
Old Jul 27, 2004, 07:26 AM   #57
jgs9455
Radeon R200

On ati.com it is listed as "in-stock" but still "pre-order"
Old Jul 27, 2004, 12:21 PM   #58
Maxwel
Radeon R200

Maxwel is still being judged by the masses

Apparently it's just for XP!
Maxwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 12:56 PM   #59
Dude 007

?
Old Jul 28, 2004, 10:31 AM   #60
jgs9455
Radeon R200

Hello jgs9455,

We are still working on shipping the following item(s) from order
#xxxxxxxx.

You will not be billed until your product actually ships.

Order #xxxxxxxx

sku - 10375953 : description - ATI - HDTV Wonder PCI TV Turner w/
Remote Control

If you wish to cancel your order for this item, or if you have any
questions, please
contact customer support at http://www.buy.com/support.

Sincerely,
Customer Support Team

Anyone have any updates on ati orders that have shipped?