Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Mar 6, 2011, 08:27 AM   #451
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by fellix_bg View Post
I think the shadow issue was ATi's fault. Their hardware at the time wasn't capable to do bilinear filtering on FP textures -- the shadow maps used in BF2 were in FP32 or FP24 format.
I remember people being all pissy about it, but I can't really remember the finer details

*edit* little google-ing bringa back memories. "Shadow Buffers" aw how people went on and on about that one

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib -
4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(Yes, darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2011, 09:58 AM   #452
jolle
Hipster Dufus

jolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

It all goes back to Pre-DX10 and so called "Cap bits" where they had their own implementations for stuff, and you could query the HW for support for different features.
In this case NV and ATi had different implementations.

as I understand it that stuff isnt allowed post DX10, you gotta stick to the API so everything works on everything.
So you dont have to query for support, cause if it´s DX10 it WILL have it, and if there´s anything beyond the API, it´s not supported. (ex some GPUs might have additional features that could then be exposed in OpenGL with the extention system they use)
Old Mar 6, 2011, 02:11 PM   #453
Auric
Bananad

Auric is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by fellix_bg View Post
I think the shadow issue was ATi's fault. Their hardware at the time wasn't capable to do bilinear filtering on FP textures -- the shadow maps used in BF2 were in FP32 or FP24 format.
BF2 dynamic shadows are blocky with Nvidia GPU as well and current AMD GPU makes no difference. It's a game flaw.

I defy anyone to find or produce a screenshot showing otherwise (excluding post-process filtering of course).
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 6, 2011, 03:03 PM   #454
Tork64
Radeon Arctic Islands

Tork64 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
DICE has mostly been focusing on giving out information about single player, but finally they have confirmed some details about multiplayer. Mulitplayer is a big part of the Battlefield series because before Battlefield Bad Company, there was no single player. Battlefield Bad Company 2 is one of my favorite shooters and reading through some of the details about Battlefield 3 there seem to be heading in the right direct, fixing things that needed to be fixed and keeping the things that have worked well in the past.

Confirmed

- Players: 64 players on PC, 24 players on Xbox 360/PS3.
- No Commander: Commander feature won’t be included, as DICE will focus on “lowering the threshold” for players.
- 4 classes: Just like in Bad Company 2. DICE feels this is the sweet spot for the game.
- Battlefield 2 maps: Several BF2 maps will return in a DLC called “Back to Karkand”. The maps are: Strike at Karkand, Gulf of Oman, Wake Island and Sharqi Peninsula.
- New squad features: DICE plans to take the squad system to the next level, offering new features. According to the Game Informer interview, DICE says, “We have some really cool things that we’ll show later when it comes to dictating how you play with friends“.
- Weapons and unlocks: BF3 will have more weapons and unlocks than in Bad Company 2, which itself had the most weapons and unlocks of any Battlefield game to date.
- Deeper persistence, rankings: One of the issues with Bad Company 2 was that most of the weapons were unlocked before reaching half of the ranks. Says DICE in the GI interview, “we’re also making sure that there is a reason for you to reach the top rank. It doesn’t just end. There will be a lot of focus on persistence and how we present stuff to the player.”
- Jets will return: So far only the US F18 and Russian Mig 29 have been spotted in various trailers.
- Prone will return: DICE will counter prone will killcam, bullet traces and other ways in order to balance the gameplay.
- Killcam: Killcam will be back and it will be a feature that can be turned on/off on server to server basis.
- DICE will have more focus on post-release content (DLC)
- Co-op for the single player campaign
- No mod tools at release.

Unconfirmed, but likely

- In-game movie recording is technically possible, but DICE is looking into how to incorporate it into the final product.
- 3 war-theaters: New York, Paris, Tehran, although it is unsure whether this is for the singleplayer campaign, multiplayer, or both.
http://wethegamerz.com/2011/03/06/ba...confirmations/
Tork64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2011, 03:08 PM   #455
H001iGAN
Orzysz

H001iGAN is still being judged by the masses

everything sounds good except prone, how can they counter it with killcam, when any real servers are going to have it off anyway.
H001iGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2011, 03:13 PM   #456
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

t0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I hope they just make prone kind of a slow animation or something, If people are dolphin diving, or hopping around like retards it's gonna make me angry.
t0adp1p3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2011, 03:49 PM   #457
Auric
Bananad

Auric is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by H001iGAN View Post
everything sounds good except prone, how can they counter it with killcam, when any real servers are going to have it off anyway.
'Cause there will be silly tracers for small arms.

It's backwards when people refer to basic things such as prone and jets (or fixed-wing aircraft) returning since the games where those were missing (BC) were not a continuation of the BF series but rather an offshoot. Ergo, the fact is that BF3 is going to be dumbed-down somewhat with stuff like small-arms tracers.

Those and kill-cam and the like (especially disabled friendly fire) should be restricted to a distinct novice mode. There should not be any server option beyond the modes. Otherwise renters (particularly clans) exploit the easy settings to achieve rank and unlocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0adp1p3 View Post
I hope they just make prone kind of a slow animation or something, If people are dolphin diving, or hopping around like retards it's gonna make me angry.
Jump shouldn't even be a function. But if they can't be arsed to design the game without such a kludge then it should at least be restricted to use overcoming obstacles.

The other way is to allow the player to do whatever they want within reason but have consequences. So if they jump more than once or jump and fire then they fall to the ground incapacitated with injuries and crying for their mommy.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 04:31 PM   #458
acidosmosis
Mispacio Rodriguez

acidosmosis is still being judged by the masses

Solution: Make going to prone slow and clunky.

People while think twice and will HAVE to use it strategically.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 06:05 PM   #459
Cordl3ssPen
nareteV D3egaR

Cordl3ssPen is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auric View Post
Jump shouldn't even be a function. But if they can't be arsed to design the game without such a kludge then it should at least be restricted to use overcoming obstacles.

The other way is to allow the player to do whatever they want within reason but have consequences. So if they jump more than once or jump and fire then they fall to the ground incapacitated with injuries and crying for their mommy.

Cordl3ssPen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2011, 09:04 PM   #460
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auric View Post

There are very simple, very old method and completely effective ways for dealing with jumping being abused. Your movement slows after one/two jumps and your aim goes to hell if you try & jump n' shoot. Problem solved.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib -
4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(Yes, darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2011, 09:59 PM   #461
acidosmosis
Mispacio Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
There are very simple, very old method and completely effective ways for dealing with jumping being abused. Your movement slows after one/two jumps and your aim goes to hell if you try & jump n' shoot. Problem solved.

Works for me.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 05:18 PM   #462
Hippo
Radeon HD 5850

Hippo is still being judged by the masses

http://publications.dice.se/
GDC talks ahave been uploaded, the one i was most interested in was DX11 rendering in BF3.

Also my earlier comment about ATI helping with frostbite 1.5(or 1) was because of an earlier GDC talk about rendering in Frostbite, and the AMD/ATI logo with a guy from AMD was all over the slides. (ill try and find the presentation.)

Frostbite Rendering Architecture and Real-time Procedural Shading Texturing Techniques at the bottom of: http://publications.dice.se/publicat...gory=Rendering

Last edited by Hippo : Mar 9, 2011 at 05:21 PM.
Hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 05:21 AM   #463
Jaws of Life
Radeon Evergreen

Jaws of Life is still being judged by the masses

How is the BF2 online community like these days? I had BF2 installed on my old rig but I am feeling nostalgic now.
Mobo: Asus P8Z68-M Pro| CPU: Intel i5-2500 @ 3.3ghz : 8gb DDR3 Kingston RAM| VGA: Nvidia Gigabyte 896mb GTX260 | HDD: 2x640gb WE SATAII | Case: Thermaltake ARMOR | PSU: Coolmaster Silent Pro M700 | Sound: SB X-FI Xtreme | OS: Vista x64 SP2 Home Premium | Monitor: Black Widscreen LG 24" LCD
Jaws of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 09:23 AM   #464
yoz
The Garbage Man

yoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete stranger

^ Still a ton of people play.
  • Play the classics
  • Vista/XP Compatible
yoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 09:32 AM   #465
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Danny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDanny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

new trailer, looks very cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBu_tH8muq0
ASUS PG279Q | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC 2025MHz/12.2GHz | Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | Fractal Design R4 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | SteelSeries Rival 310 | Qpad MK-50 | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + 840 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 10 Professional

iPhone 8 Plus
Danny Nissan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 09:36 AM   #466
Chubz
Doomer

Chubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird sings

I just cannot be impressed by this scripted stuff. Because the way they want you to play is how you will play, and nothing you do will change the outcome of anything. I really hate this style of gameplay, and I can't figure out for the life of me why so many people are impressed. The graphics do look incredible, but we need a developer who can really do something special with single-player and break us away from this on-rails bull****.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:23 AM   #467
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Danny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDanny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Crysis 1 let you have the freedom to do what you want, and how you wanted, but people called it a techdemo with no gameplay so this is what we will get in terms of singleplayer games from now on.
ASUS PG279Q | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC 2025MHz/12.2GHz | Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | Fractal Design R4 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | SteelSeries Rival 310 | Qpad MK-50 | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + 840 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 10 Professional

iPhone 8 Plus
Danny Nissan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:26 AM   #468
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

spindoctor is still being judged by the masses

good thing most of us don't play battlefield for the sp right? why can't they show mp footage already?
spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:27 AM   #469
Chubz
Doomer

Chubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Nissan View Post
Crysis 1 let you have the freedom to do what you want, and how you wanted, but people called it a techdemo with no gameplay so this is what we will get in terms of singleplayer games from now on.
You do make a great point. It's hilarious that Crysis 1 had such deep gameplay and was dubbed a tech demo when games like this have almost no true gameplay and everyone goes nuts over 'em.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 01:47 PM   #470
{0}Salamander{0}
Radeon Man Returneth

{0}Salamander{0} is still being judged by the masses

If earthquakes and tremors are a big part of the singleplayer campaign is that going to cause issues what with Japan having their disaster with over 4000 dead as I type? Thoughts?
Old Mar 16, 2011, 02:04 PM   #471
Perky McGiggles
I see what you did there

Perky McGiggles is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by {0}Salamander{0} View Post
If earthquakes and tremors are a big part of the singleplayer campaign is that going to cause issues what with Japan having their disaster with over 4000 dead as I type? Thoughts?
Just... no.
name, so sayeth the Lord.
- Penguins 22, chapter 3, verse 8
Perky McGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 02:17 PM   #472
Ego
I can't take this

Ego can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEgo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by {0}Salamander{0} View Post
That's stupid, and I hope you're trolling.
I HATE HATE HATE this: if a person is fat everyone else must do things differently (as in, not call him fat) because there's a possibility to hurt his feelings.
If a nation suffers some sort of horrible disaster (earthquake, tsunami, floods, tornados, terrorism, you name it) everyone else must suddenly transform this subject in some sort of religious tabu; God forbid we'll offend some tabloid reading moron.
Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 06:57 PM   #473
RSViper
Radeon R520

RSViper is still being judged by the masses

Some new video.

Good Effect on Target

http://www.ea.com/battlefield3/video...line-episode-2
RSViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 07:46 PM   #474
eNforcer
Radeon Northern Islands

eNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSViper View Post
Some new video.

Good Effect on Target

http://www.ea.com/battlefield3/video...line-episode-2
Uh, I hate that in single player modes these days. He got shot like 10 times and didn't die because it's part of the 'sequence' that forces you to move forward in the game.

I would rather have more cover and the chance to die then to feel like I have god mode on.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 07:50 PM   #475
shrike126
Roxen. You are missed.

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNforcer View Post
Uh, I hate that in single player modes these days. He got shot like 10 times and didn't die because it's part of the 'sequence' that forces you to move forward in the game.

I would rather have more cover and the chance to die then to feel like I have god mode on.
I didn't think he got hit, I thought it was just rounds going off right around him.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 08:55 PM   #476
Rifle_shot
Radeon R600

Rifle_shot is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
I didn't think he got hit, I thought it was just rounds going off right around him.
shrike126 is correct, these are supposed to be effects from the bullets flying by you so close. Bad Company 2 has a similar effect if a sniper just missed you.
Dual 1gb ATI HD 4850's CrossfireX
Realtek HD Audio
17 in 1920x1200 screen
500 gb + 320 gb SATA hard drives
Vista Ultimate x64 + Windows 7 upgrade

Desktop System :
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ @ 2.7 ghz
2.0 GB G.skill DDR 400 memory
Evga 9800 GT 512mb
Creative Sound Blaster Live
22" Insignia HDTV/LCD @ 1680x1050
160 gb Western Digital SATA hard drive
Windows XP MCE 2005

007 Nightfire
007 Quantum of Solace
007 Bloodstone
Assassin's Creed
Assassin's Creed II
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Battlefield 1942
Battlefield 2 + SF
Battlefield Bad Company 2
Bioshock
Bioshock II
Call of Duty 2
Call of Duty 4: MW
Call of Duty 5: WaW
Call of Duty 6: MW2
Call of Duty 7: BO
Call of Juarez
Crysis
Crysis Warhead
Dead Rising II
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Fallout: 3
Fallout: NV
Far Cry
Far Cry II
F.E.A.R.
F.E.A.R. II
Gears of War
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter II
Grand Theft Auto IV
GRID
Half-Life
Half-Life: Blue Shift
Half-Life: Opposing Force
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2: Ep1
Half-Life 2: Ep2
Halo
Halo 2
HAWX
Hitman: Blood Money
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead II
Madden 2008
Mass Effect
Mass Effect II
Medal of Honor: Airborne
Medal of Honor 2010
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Need for Speed: Shift
Need for Speed: Undercover
Need for Speed: Underground
Need for Speed: Underground II
Portal
Prototype
Rainbow Six: Vegas
Rainbow Six: Vegas II
Resident Evil 5
RollerCoaster Tycoon
RollerCoaster Tycoon II
Sims 2
Sims 3
Splinter-Cell
Splinter-Cell: Double Agent
Splinter-Cell: Conviction
Spider-man 3
Spider-man: Shattered Dimensions
Spider-man: Web of Shadows
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Tony Hawk''s American Wasteland
Wolfenstein
Worms: Reloaded
Rifle_shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 09:21 PM   #477
Cordl3ssPen
nareteV D3egaR

Cordl3ssPen is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifle_shot View Post
shrike126 is correct, these are supposed to be effects from the bullets flying by you so close. Bad Company 2 has a similar effect if a sniper just missed you.
Yeah you can see the bullets hitting the scenery and cover around the player when it give off that effect.
Cordl3ssPen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:17 AM   #478
acidosmosis
Mispacio Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws of Life View Post
How is the BF2 online community like these days? I had BF2 installed on my old rig but I am feeling nostalgic now.
Still a lot of cheaters. Punkbuster is still absolutely worthless and not even worth having. It bans more legit players than anyone else and almost never still recognizes a cheater.

Also, I've noticed that on some servers people in helicopters have an incredible advantage and are killing people from a mile away accurately. They have to be cheating. Or have a setting somewhere set where they can see way too far with no fog.

One of those things about Battlefield 2 that prevent it from being an incredibly fun FPS.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:29 AM   #479
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifle_shot View Post
Yup, there was also a little blurb somewhere that the designers enhanced this in BF3. Usually its kind of boring to just sit there and wait for the cover fire to end, so they added this to make it feel more chaotic and drastic. I just hope its not over done. Also, im still skeptical about these game play videos. It just feels off for some reason.

If true im super impressed on how well its performing and looking at this stage.
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 01:27 AM   #480
Progression
Radeon Arctic Islands

Progression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Every video they release I'm blown away by their animations, well done. The destruction is also pretty damn good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
If you must listen to country [music], play it backwards. You get your woman back, the dog comes back to life, Momma pops out from under the train, and it stops raining. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bete View Post
I'd bet it would be fun to do him up the ass.
Progression is offline   Reply With Quote