Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Dec 22, 2008, 10:16 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Bires
50 lb lap dog ;)

Bires knows why the caged bird singsBires knows why the caged bird singsBires knows why the caged bird singsBires knows why the caged bird singsBires knows why the caged bird singsBires knows why the caged bird sings

Thumbs down PC Power and Cooling are good power supplies? No. They're not.

FYI, my story...

So I read A LOT of reviews about PCP&C power supplies before I bought one (at a considerable price premium). I bought a 750W "Silencer" a couple months ago. What a joke.

I was replacing a 500W NeoHE that hissed when my new 260 GTX played games.

Guess what?!?

The "SILENCER" now hisses much, much worse than the Antec ever did.

So, I went back and re-read reviews about this PSU. Nowhere in the reviews do they talk about capacitor hiss, just fan noise. It's true; the fan is inaudible. But damn, when I play NWN2: Storm of Zehir it RINGS LIKE A MUFFLED SMOKE DETECTOR!

It has always hissed a little, especially in 3DMark, but when playing NWN2...I can't ever play the game since my "best power supply" makes so much irritating noise.

I'm going to give their service center a call to see if this is normal behavior, but if I RMA the thing, I can't play games for weeks until a replacement arrives.
Bires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 10:23 AM   #2
DivotMaker
Radeon Caribbean Islands

DivotMaker is still being judged by the masses

You have a bad PSU....while mine is certainly not "inaudible", I never notice mine making any noise other than the fan noises coming from my computer closure. I have the Quad 750 and it is easily the best PSU I have ever owned....
DivotMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 10:35 AM   #3
Bires
50 lb lap dog ;)

Bires knows why the caged bird singsBires knows why the caged bird singsBires knows why the caged bird singsBires knows why the caged bird singsBires knows why the caged bird singsBires knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker View Post
You have a bad PSU...
I figured...but guess what? They want me to pay for shipping BOTH WAYS and don't cross ship.

I'm going to call again and ask for a supervisor. If they play ball, I'll edit this thread. Until they do, this power supply and OCZ gets a
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 22, 2008, 10:38 AM   #4
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

sorry dude

There's no reason you should have to pay shipping for the new one back to you, though. I can see them asking for a deposit on a cross-ship or advanced RMA, but shipping both ways? One way is bad enough.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 12:07 PM   #5
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Damn. I almost went PCP&C on my last PSU purchase. Picked a Corsair instead. Thank god I did because it sounds like PCP&C has crap warranty support now.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 12:16 PM   #6
Cally
Radeon R700

Cally is still being judged by the masses

I bought a Corsair 750W when I did my rebuild. I am glad I did It is extremely quiet and gets the job done.
Cally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 12:27 PM   #7
Bires
50 lb lap dog ;)

UPDATE!

Chatting with Alan @ PCP&C...it turns out the ringing is a know problem with these units and certain video card combinations. He advised turning on VSYNC, which I did and the unit is back to a steady buzz and hiss, no more ringing.

Still far from silent, but at least I can play without the nails-on-a-chalkboard sound.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 12:36 PM   #8
Bires
50 lb lap dog ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker View Post
You have a bad PSU....while mine is certainly not "inaudible", I never notice mine making any noise other than the fan noises coming from my computer closure. I have the Quad 750 and it is easily the best PSU I have ever owned....
OK...so when your PSU is working hard, do you hear a buzzing from the PSU, or is it the fan you hear?

I need more information before I undertake a very inconvienant RMA process.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 02:13 PM   #9
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bires View Post
UPDATE!

Chatting with Alan @ PCP&C...it turns out the ringing is a know problem with these units and certain video card combinations. He advised turning on VSYNC, which I did and the unit is back to a steady buzz and hiss, no more ringing.

Still far from silent, but at least I can play without the nails-on-a-chalkboard sound.
If it is a design issue they should pay shipping both ways. There is a reason you pay a premium for a power supply, well at least there should be.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 02:36 PM   #10
seeker010
chaotic evil

seeker010 is still being judged by the masses

wow that doesn't sound like the pcp&c that I know. when I had trouble, they paid for shipping both ways. I've always wondered what OCZ's takeover would do to them. guess we just found out.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 02:59 PM   #11
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Hmm.. I have an electronic type ringing when I play some games, and have a PCP&C supply and 8800GTS 512, I always thought it was my card. I'll have to pay more attention next time. I tune it out most times though.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 04:53 PM   #12
greasyhands
Vega 64

greasyhands is still being judged by the masses

My Silencer 750 in my wifes rig blew up 2 weeks into operation. My replacement has been flawless, but when it blew, it scared the crap out of me and my kids, filled the entire office with smoke! The big yellow cap inside blew its top off.
greasyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 05:25 PM   #13
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

nomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
I figured...but guess what? They want me to pay for shipping BOTH WAYS and don't cross ship.

I'm going to call again and ask for a supervisor. If they play ball, I'll edit this thread. Until they do, this power supply and OCZ gets a
I am confused about why OCZ got a ...
I have a OCZ power supply and it is very quiet and I am very very happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H001iGAN View Post
no matter how you look at it, it's still better on PC
nomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 05:56 PM   #14
seeker010
chaotic evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore View Post
OCZ bought PCP&C. from the looks of it PCP&C legendary status has been falling into the gutter since.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 08:59 PM   #15
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore View Post
A lot of other people have OCZ powersupplies that not behaving nicely like yours. You know what happens, people who have no problems don't post about it on the intarwebs.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 09:51 PM   #16
Cowzrul
Dazed and Confused

Cowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I've never understood how people could bitch so much about noise from components. First, whatever game you're playing, or movie your watching, or whatever is most likely going to drown it out, and second, you ought to just be able to tune it out and get over it. Hell, I have a massive air purifier sitting right next to mine that makes 20x as much noise as a computer ever could, and it doesn't bother me one bit.
Cowzrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 10:24 PM   #17
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Different strokes for different folks, y'know. Kinda like how some people can tolerate the thought of people liking different things from them, and others go on rampages on the internet against it.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 10:47 PM   #18
Perky McGiggles
I see what you did there

Perky McGiggles is still being judged by the masses

^
name, so sayeth the Lord.
- Penguins 22, chapter 3, verse 8
Perky McGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 11:26 PM   #19
seeker010
chaotic evil

well for me, it's not as much the noise as the pretty unreasonable support policy that the OP ran into.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 11:29 PM   #20
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

nomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker010 View Post
OCZ bought PCP&C. from the looks of it PCP&C legendary status has been falling into the gutter since.
I see.
I never went through OCZ customer service or contacted them so I don't have any experience in that department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
A lot of other people have OCZ powersupplies that not behaving nicely like yours. You know what happens, people who have no problems don't post about it on the intarwebs.
should people with no problems post when there are people with problems to rub it in?

heck, I don't write reviews at amazon.com if I am happy with something but if I am disappointed I write a review right away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H001iGAN View Post
no matter how you look at it, it's still better on PC
nomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 11:48 PM   #21
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Exactly. That's why you have to take online reviews with a grain of salt - very few take the time to say 'yay! perfect!'
Old Dec 23, 2008, 12:25 PM   #22
Dragex
Pwned and Boned

Dragex is still being judged by the masses

If it counts for anything, my last OCZ PSU died in a year.

Fallout3, Mirror's Edge, HL2:Ep2, Braid, CoD4, Crysis WH.

Upcoming games I'm going to play:

FF7 PSOneEmulator, FarCry2, NWN2, BioShockPc, Finish Assassin's Creed,
SW:Force Unleashed, Trine, The Witcher, Finish Doom3.
Dragex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2008, 12:42 PM   #23
erek
Banned

erek is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
Hmm.. I have an electronic type ringing when I play some games, and have a PCP&C supply and 8800GTS 512, I always thought it was my card. I'll have to pay more attention next time. I tune it out most times though.
still could be your card... i had a GeForce FX 5900 that made noise... it was actually sort of neat to think that the IC was doing so much work electrically to make noise, heh
erek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2008, 12:22 PM   #24
jima13
Retired

jima13 is still being judged by the masses

PCP&C were pretty good when they were selling rebadged Zippy/EMAX & FSP power supplies...don't know what OCZ is using?
jima13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2008, 01:15 PM   #25
seeker010
chaotic evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima13 View Post
PCP&C were pretty good when they were selling rebadged Zippy/EMAX & FSP power supplies...don't know what OCZ is using?
afaik seasonic (for silencer) and zippy (for turbo cool)
Old Dec 24, 2008, 02:14 PM   #26
Leprechaun
Radeon Arctic Islands

Leprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLeprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

it's the GTX260 that makes the noise n hiss, etc!
I know I just bought one.
It happens most of the time in games or places (menus, etc) where you get ridicilously high framerates.... Turning on Vsync as you were told sometimes helps
Old Dec 24, 2008, 03:53 PM   #27
Bires
50 lb lap dog ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leprechaun View Post
it's the GTX260 that makes the noise n hiss, etc!
I know I just bought one.
It happens most of the time in games or places (menus, etc) where you get ridicilously high framerates.... Turning on Vsync as you were told sometimes helps
This is partially true. The tech I talked to said this was a known problem...but only with certain power supplies.

Does this happen with Corsair's PSUs?
Also, anytime the power sup works hard it hisses.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 04:09 PM   #28
Hordsak
Radeon Sea Islands

Hordsak is still being judged by the masses

I'm still rocking my old Seasonic S12 from 4 years ago. I'm building my new PC on christmas day, and I decided on the Corsair 750. Should be a good PS.
Secondly, it would be more amicable to omit 'OFN' and like phrases which appear to carry some sort of inter-pragmatic content designed to be offensive, jarring, chastising, or otherwise infelicitous in a manner contextually relevant. If it's just that it's old or old news to you, go find something else to read.
Any Violators of Filburts rule will be reported by me.
Hordsak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2008, 04:55 PM   #29
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
Does this happen with Corsair's PSUs?
Never had any noise from my VX-550, even with an overclocked B3 intel quad, 4x1gb of ram, 6 HD's and a HD2900XT or 3870 or 4850.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 05:06 PM   #30
Lifestealer
Radeon R520

Lifestealer is still being judged by the masses

Just buy a frickin Enermax. They are not glamorous psu but they always do the job. I atill got my 465 watts enermax that I got 6 years ago and my voltages are still all over(3.4 12.3 ect)
Lifestealer is offline   Reply With Quote