Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Oct 9, 2007, 03:00 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Pr3tty F1y
Radeon Arctic Islands

Pr3tty F1y can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyPr3tty F1y can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyPr3tty F1y can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default How the heck do multi-rail power supplies distribute the power?

Does each 12v yellow wire coming out of my power supply get the benefit of being fed by each of the 3 rails combined or is it more along the lines of one group of connectors is fed by one rail, another group is fed by another rail, etc...?

You're dead.
Your friends are dead.
Your family's dead.
Your f**king pets are being skinned alive.
Your mom's a f**king whore.
You suck at life.
The whole world hates you.
You're going to hell.
Live with it.

GAME OVER
Pr3tty F1y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 03:01 PM   #2
Supra_Freak
I did this to your momma!

Supra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3tty F1y View Post
How the heck do multi-rail power supplies distribute the power?
Very carefully

Actually im also interested in knowing the answer, haha.

Supra_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 03:05 PM   #3
Pr3tty F1y
Radeon Arctic Islands

Pr3tty F1y can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyPr3tty F1y can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyPr3tty F1y can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra_Freak View Post
Very carefully
Unless you open them up and prod around, then they distribute it very painfully.

You're dead.
Your friends are dead.
Your family's dead.
You suck at life.
You're going to hell.
Live with it.

GAME OVER
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 9, 2007, 03:23 PM   #4
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGreasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGreasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGreasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGreasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGreasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGreasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGreasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGreasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGreasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGreasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3tty F1y View Post
Unless you open them up and prod around, then they distribute it very painfully.
I would rep you for that, but I must spread some around before reping you again.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 03:29 PM   #5
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Each 'Rail' is a seperate feed from the transformer (where I am glossing over the existance of smoothing/OCP/OCS) and so is seperate from the other rails as loads applied to the them do not apply to another.
These feeds are stepped into 12/5/3.3 etc voltages and bundled. Now here's where it gets interesting - each manufacturer splits these bundles differently. And often, they claim seperate rails where there is only actually one. This is a good thing, and a bad thing. Bad in that the claims are inaccurate, good in that the power can then be used where it's needed. Commonly seperate rails would be used for different devices, such as cpu & mainboard power, 4pin molexes, 6pin PCIe, 8pin EPS 12v connectors.

To answer the OP question, No. Each 12v wire is not feed a combination of the rails (if the rails are indeed seperate), they are grouped together, sometimes marked as 12v1, 12v2, 12v3 etc. You PSU manual should have the definitions of which connectors are used from which rail. However, like I said, it is often a single rail PSU.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 03:41 PM   #6
Pr3tty F1y
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Each 'Rail' is a seperate feed from the transformer (where I am glossing over the existance of smoothing/OCP/OCS) and so is seperate from the other rails as loads applied to the them do not apply to another.
These feeds are stepped into 12/5/3.3 etc voltages and bundled. Now here's where it gets interesting - each manufacturer splits these bundles differently. And often, they claim seperate rails where there is only actually one. This is a good thing, and a bad thing. Bad in that the claims are inaccurate, good in that the power can then be used where it's needed. Commonly seperate rails would be used for different devices, such as cpu & mainboard power, 4pin molexes, 6pin PCIe, 8pin EPS 12v connectors.

To answer the OP question, No. Each 12v wire is not feed a combination of the rails (if the rails are indeed seperate), they are grouped together, sometimes marked as 12v1, 12v2, 12v3 etc. You PSU manual should have the definitions of which connectors are used from which rail. However, like I said, it is often a single rail PSU.
Cool. +rep

I was basically wondering about my Antec TruePower 2.0 Trio for the fact that I have an x1950Pro, but it's AGP so I'm not using the PCIe connectors. The molex connectors I'm using on it are completely separate coming out of the power supply, but I know that means nothing as far as if they are fed from different sources. Basically I just want to make sure I'm not stressing the power supply, trying to suck all the juice from one rail.

As of right now I have no stability probs, but I know over time, stressing the PSU definitely will degrade it.

It's also interesting talking about the stepping of the 12v down to 5v and 3.3v however, if I remember from way back in 2002-03 when I was looking for PSU's for my last rig, Antec's original "TruePower" premise was that there was no stepping from 12v to lower voltages, they were handled separately. Now I don't know if that is true of TruePower 2.0 (I only bought it because it was the best BestBuy had for the price and I had $125 in giftcards ).

I'll check the manual then

Edit: and of course the Antec manual says nothing about it... typical... and the wires were not grouped or labeled any particular way coming out of the PSU...

You're dead.
Your friends are dead.
Your family's dead.
You suck at life.
You're going to hell.
Live with it.

GAME OVER

Last edited by Pr3tty F1y : Oct 9, 2007 at 03:47 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 03:49 PM   #7
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

AFAIK the TP 2.0 is single rail.

For clarification, the stepping to 5 / 3.3 is not from the 12v source, but from the common source of the rail (which becomes 12v, 5v, 3.3v etc).

It is interesting to see the marketing going on for PSUs. My favourite is the Quad Rail for Quad Core

I managed to resist buying one.

QuadQUADQUADZROROZOZZ!!!
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 03:54 PM   #8
Pr3tty F1y
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
AFAIK the TP 2.0 is single rail.

For clarification, the stepping to 5 / 3.3 is not from the 12v source, but from the common source of the rail (which becomes 12v, 5v, 3.3v etc).

It is interesting to see the marketing going on for PSUs. My favourite is the Quad Rail for Quad Core

I managed to resist buying one.

QuadQUADQUADZROROZOZZ!!!
OK. Because I remember about reading up on cheaper PSU's that derive their lower voltage rails from a 12V source that leads to major problems when the PSU was under stress. I forget where I read it, but thanks for clearing up the issues.

Oh, and if you need a quad rail for quadcore, you might want to get the Voodoo5 6000 external power brick just as a backup as it looks quite quad-ish itself

You're dead.
Your friends are dead.
Your family's dead.
You suck at life.
You're going to hell.
Live with it.

GAME OVER

Last edited by Pr3tty F1y : Oct 9, 2007 at 03:57 PM.