Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jan 11, 2007, 07:50 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Zarfilg
Radeon 4870

Zarfilg is still being judged by the masses

Default Retiring my old DVD Burner, what to get?

Seems like me old DVD'r has flaked off, its an old single layer burner. I am wondering what's the burner to get right now. Looking at a cheap solution, although I'd love to hear what the best bang for the buck is out there right now, regardless of price.
Zarfilg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 08:22 PM   #2
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Not on sale right now, but this is a very nice burner. SATA and LightScribe.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827151141
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 09:45 AM   #3
Auldian
PC enthusiast

Auldian is still being judged by the masses

I'm curious if these SATA ODD are bootable. I'm building a new box and leaving E-IDE behind if possible. I will be using an Intel M/B, DG965WH, for the near future.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 12, 2007, 10:00 AM   #4
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auldian View Post
I'm curious if these SATA ODD are bootable. I'm building a new box and leaving E-IDE behind if possible. I will be using an Intel M/B, DG965WH, for the near future.
My Plextor SATA burners are bootable on my home machines. Plextor maintains a compatibility list of mobos that support the drives (incompatibles are at the bottom). Not sure if the other brands maintain similar lists or if Plextor's list is representative of what to expect for SATA burners in general. YMMV.

http://www.plextor.com/english/suppo...%20listing.htm
Old Jan 12, 2007, 09:58 PM   #5
Auldian
PC enthusiast

Auldian is still being judged by the masses

Thank ya
Old Jan 14, 2007, 02:51 AM   #6
seeker010
chaotic evil

seeker010 is still being judged by the masses

liteon dvdrw + rosewill ata->sata converter is what I use.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 04:00 AM   #7
cmar
Radeon Sea Islands

cmar is still being judged by the masses

Yes you can't go wrong with Liteon. Also Pioneer / Asus very good, and NEC.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 11:23 PM   #8
The Pig
Banned

The Pig is still being judged by the masses

Here's what I picked up recently:

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16827106046

Only $36 and it's SATA. Does everything I need it to do. Fast, but not so quiet at full spin.. but for the price you can't go wrong.

I bought it to replace my other Lite-On DVD burner which was IDE. So far it's been good with Lite-On.
The Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 08:10 PM   #9
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I'm buying a DVD-RW drive for my POS Dell this weekend just so I can clear some of my keyboard drivers off the HD.

Any other recommendations? Doesn't have to be from the Egg, I'll buy from any other reputable non-Ebay seller.

Would like SATA but not a necessity. Prefer Plextor, NEC, Pioneer, but am open to other brands.
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 08:52 PM   #10
Lupine
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran View Post
I'm buying a DVD-RW drive for my POS Dell this weekend just so I can clear some of my keyboard drivers off the HD.

Any other recommendations? Doesn't have to be from the Egg, I'll buy from any other reputable non-Ebay seller.

Would like SATA but not a necessity. Prefer Plextor, NEC, Pioneer, but am open to other brands.
Price range? I still like that Samsung I linked above. And, despite my signature, I'm about done w/ Plextor. Decent units but way overpriced.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 07:01 PM   #11
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I was going to get a 760A from Zipzoom tomorrow because I had to go SATA anyway (well, not *had* to but might as well).

CDR info seemed to like the 755/760 drives a lot, especially with good media like verbatim or taiyo yuden.

Unless you know of another drive that's definitely better than the Plextor for no more than $100, I'm getting the 760A.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 07:51 PM   #12
Lupine
Administrator

Quote:
Unless you know of another drive that's definitely better than the Plextor for no more than $100, I'm getting the 760A.
It has been some time since I've found Plextor to be superior to other brands and, considering that IMHO you can get equally good performance out of units costing half as much, I simply don't see the point in going w/ Plextor. Additionally, their warranty (and service) doesn't appear to be superior and even their functionality lacks at times (retail bundles being cut back, my 755SA doesn't support Lightscribe).

Obviously YMMV and you set your own preferences. But for me, Plextor simply doesn't have the edge it once did (I've been using them almost exclusively since my first caddy-style SCSI unit lol), certainly not enough to justify the additional cost factor.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 08:03 PM   #13
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
It has been some time since I've found Plextor to be superior to other brands and, considering that IMHO you can get equally good performance out of units costing half as much, I simply don't see the point in going w/ Plextor. Additionally, their warranty (and service) doesn't appear to be superior and even their functionality lacks at times (retail bundles being cut back, my 755SA doesn't support Lightscribe).

Obviously YMMV and you set your own preferences. But for me, Plextor simply doesn't have the edge it once did (I've been using them almost exclusively since my first caddy-style SCSI unit lol), certainly not enough to justify the additional cost factor.
Again, what out there is *better*? I want the best reasonably-priced SATA DVD-RW drive (i.e. less than $100) out there, and so far I have yet to see anything better than the 760A.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 08:14 PM   #14
Lupine
Administrator

Quote:
Again, what out there is *better*? I want the best reasonably-priced SATA DVD-RW drive (i.e. less than $100) out there, and so far I have yet to see anything better than the 760A.
I already posted on above - the samsung.

Here are the SATA models listed at newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ubCateg ory=5

Better? I'd say they're all somewhat equal, leaving price variance the main differentiator. Well, unless you want Lightscribe which Plextor apparently still doesn't support.

The 760A, on sale for $70 right now at the Egg, is still double what you're paying for some DVD burners, and still significantly more than the Samsung.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 08:21 PM   #15
Lupine
Administrator

Here's a great deal on a Lite-On at the Egg right now. Not SATA though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827106055
Old Jan 18, 2007, 08:53 PM   #16
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

I've already gone through all my options at the egg and zipzoom, basically it comes down to the 760A or Pioneer's 111D drive (non-SATA, but a competitor to Plextor's high-end DVD-RW drives).

I don't want to buy another Lite-on drive again, TBH, and that Samsung drive is basically a Lite-on drive with the Samsung logo on it anyway so I'm not interested in it either.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 08:54 PM   #17
Lupine
Administrator

What does the 760A bring to the table that you're not seeing in other drives?

EDIT: Frankly, I've been disappointed with my PX-755SA units, with read performance on both units being spotty when backing up DVDs (my older 716A is consistently faster at this). The only advantage I see in them is the SATA interface, and that isn't hard to find now for a much lower price point. Add the lack of Lightscribe and its even less appealing (didn't realize I'd want it when I bought them, but I've done several family DVD projects that I would have used Lightscribe on if I'd had it).

Last edited by Lupine : Jan 18, 2007 at 08:57 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 09:02 PM   #18
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ok, forget about SATA, there's no need for it yet. I'll hold off on the SATA interface until it's necessary for an HD or Blu-ray drive.

What's the best ATA drive on the market for < $100 that has a decent name behind it?

Anything better than the Pioneer 111D?
Old Jan 18, 2007, 09:08 PM   #19
Lupine
Administrator

Well, other than being oh so nice to disable the IDE ports yes, SATA burners are probably not a necessity yet.

I'm still not clear what specs you're after here SH. What are the differentiating factors you're seeking (other than it not being Lite-On)?
Old Jan 18, 2007, 09:12 PM   #20
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
Well, other than being oh so nice to disable the IDE ports yes, SATA burners are probably not a necessity yet.

I'm still not clear what specs you're after here SH. What are the differentiating factors you're seeking (other than it not being Lite-On)?
Burn quality is ultimate priority. I have an extensive library that's always growing. I want the drive that will give me the best burn quality of any drive on the market for $100 or less. Speed is nice, but reliable burns above 16x (peak, 12x avg. speed observed) are only attainable with the best media out there. As far as features go - the bigger the cache, the better. Other than that I'm not too concerned. There isn't a DL drive on the market that doesn't support all the formats I want to burn (usually just DVD-R and +R, with the occasional DL disk thrown in).
Old Jan 18, 2007, 09:32 PM   #21
Lupine
Administrator

K. Thanks for the additional info. I always valued cache highly as well, and remember being surprised when Plextor went from a 4mb cache w/ my CDRW drives to the 2mb cache w/ my DVD/RW drives. Still don't understand that one.

Anyway, that Pioneer unit appears to be a solid bet.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 07:01 AM   #22
seeker010
chaotic evil

Quote:
I've already gone through all my options at the egg and zipzoom, basically it comes down to the 760A or Pioneer's 111D drive (non-SATA, but a competitor to Plextor's high-end DVD-RW drives).
Plextors are overpriced. I don't know where you read they had good quality, but they've been far overshadowed. I'd take a liteon over them any day of the week. the 111D would be a far superior buy over a 760a. BTW 760A is ATA, not SATA. the 760SA is SATA, and it's not sold in the US.

Quote:
I don't want to buy another Lite-on drive again, TBH, and that Samsung drive is basically a Lite-on drive with the Samsung logo on it anyway so I'm not interested in it either.
whoever told you that needs to be shot and castrated on the spot. They both use the mediatek chipset, but their eeproms and puhs are quite different. Pioneer uses the NEC chipset but you never hear of anyone saying it's basically a NEC with a Pioneer logo Plus I don't know where you got the anti liteon rant from, but since the 5s series + test smartburn + c0deking's patches over at cdfreaks makes it more or less equivalent to just about any other drive out there, in the same generation. Yes, it suffers from early generation firmware bugs, but so does Plextor, and hell at least it doesn't cost you $100 and makes you wait a year before it's useable. The only thing Liteon burners get knocked for is poort CD burning quality, and if you do burn CDs and they're not TY, I'd go with the 111D.

Quote:
Burn quality is ultimate priority. I have an extensive library that's always growing. I want the drive that will give me the best burn quality of any drive on the market for $100 or less. Speed is nice, but reliable burns above 16x (peak, 12x avg. speed observed) are only attainable with the best media out there. As far as features go - the bigger the cache, the better. Other than that I'm not too concerned. There isn't a DL drive on the market that doesn't support all the formats I want to burn (usually just DVD-R and +R, with the occasional DL disk thrown in).
There isn't one drive out there that will give you 100% compatibility with all the media you can get your hands on. If you stick with Yuden or MCC media there isn't a drive in existence that will screw them up. However if you buy your media from retail shops like BB or CC, then you're better off buying two or three burners ~$35 each than 1 plextor.

Last edited by seeker010 : Jan 19, 2007 at 07:11 AM.
seeker010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 07:59 AM   #23
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker010 View Post
Plextors are overpriced. I don't know where you read they had good quality, but they've been far overshadowed.
It's not that I read it somewhere on teh intarweb, this is from personal experience, and second-hand experience related through techie friends that have a preference towards Plextor. I dislike Liteon after my last couple drives. Burn quality was an issue, even with good media. As for my personal preference of Pioneer, I used to own a DVR-106 back in the day, the first DVD drive with DL support (before DL was even released) and it was far and away the best drive I've ever owned or used.

Quote:
I'd take a liteon over them any day of the week. the 111D would be a far superior buy over a 760a. BTW 760A is ATA, not SATA. the 760SA is SATA, and it's not sold in the US.

whoever told you that needs to be shot and castrated on the spot. They both use the mediatek chipset, but their eeproms and puhs are quite different. Pioneer uses the NEC chipset but you never hear of anyone saying it's basically a NEC with a Pioneer logo Plus I don't know where you got the anti liteon rant from, but since the 5s series + test smartburn + c0deking's patches over at cdfreaks makes it more or less equivalent to just about any other drive out there, in the same generation. Yes, it suffers from early generation firmware bugs, but so does Plextor, and hell at least it doesn't cost you $100 and makes you wait a year before it's useable. The only thing Liteon burners get knocked for is poort CD burning quality, and if you do burn CDs and they're not TY, I'd go with the 111D.

There isn't one drive out there that will give you 100% compatibility with all the media you can get your hands on. If you stick with Yuden or MCC media there isn't a drive in existence that will screw them up. However if you buy your media from retail shops like BB or CC, then you're better off buying two or three burners ~$35 each than 1 plextor.
Well that was quite the rant I do burn audio and data CDs from time to time, so that is an issue for me as well (my primary complaint about my last Liteon burner, the 1673S or some such). For DVDs I try to stick to TY media or if I can't find TY, I'll go with whatever Verbatim or Memorex are using at the time (although I don't think I'll use Memorex as much anymore, Verbatim seems to be higher quality for about the same price, however once I got lucky and got a hundred stack of TY 16x discs for $40 buying Memorex though, so it's hard to stay away altogether).

Anyway, no Liteon for me, thank you very much. Looks like I'll be picking up that 111D today.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 08:58 AM   #24
seeker010
chaotic evil

Quote:
It's not that I read it somewhere on teh intarweb, this is from personal experience, and second-hand experience related through techie friends that have a preference towards Plextor. I dislike Liteon after my last couple drives. Burn quality was an issue, even with good media. As for my personal preference of Pioneer, I used to own a DVR-106 back in the day, the first DVD drive with DL support (before DL was even released) and it was far and away the best drive I've ever owned or used.
suit yourself, but you're missing out on some neat features that liteon has that the 111d doesn't do well, like ta, reflectivity, jitter, beta, pie, pif testing

Quote:
Well that was quite the rant I do burn audio and data CDs from time to time, so that is an issue for me as well (my primary complaint about my last Liteon burner, the 1673S or some such). For DVDs I try to stick to TY media or if I can't find TY, I'll go with whatever Verbatim or Memorex are using at the time (although I don't think I'll use Memorex as much anymore, Verbatim seems to be higher quality for about the same price, however once I got lucky and got a hundred stack of TY 16x discs for $40 buying Memorex though, so it's hard to stay away altogether).

Anyway, no Liteon for me, thank you very much. Looks like I'll be picking up that 111D today.
tip for you, look on the cakebox for Made in Japan. they have the highest chance of being TY; even if not, I've found MIJ media to perform far better than any other origin.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 09:00 AM   #25
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
suit yourself, but you're missing out on some neat features that liteon has that the 111d doesn't do well, like ta, reflectivity, jitter, beta, pie, pif testing

tip for you, look on the cakebox for Made in Japan. they have the highest chance of being TY; even if not, I've found MIJ media to perform far better than any other origin.
I'll pick up a 100 pack of TY 16x DVD-R's from the Egg when I get the 111D.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 03:46 PM   #26
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

About to pull the trigger on the 111D, but having second thoughts and leaning towards this NEC drive with DVD-RAM write capability (which I actually would use). Any thoughts? Last second recommendations?
Old Jan 19, 2007, 04:34 PM   #27
seeker010
chaotic evil

Quote:
About to pull the trigger on the 111D, but having second thoughts and leaning towards this NEC drive with DVD-RAM write capability (which I actually would use). Any thoughts? Last second recommendations?
crossflash the 111d to buffalo 8.29 111l fw to gain dvd-ram support and auto bitset. nec has been anal about crossflashing so that's major minus points from me.

Last edited by seeker010 : Jan 19, 2007 at 04:51 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 06:48 PM   #28
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
crossflash the 111d to buffalo 8.29 111l fw to gain dvd-ram support and auto bitset. nec has been anal about crossflashing so that's major minus points from me.
by "gain dvd-ram support" do you mean the ability to write? because my understanding is that the drive has 5x dvd-ram read capability already so adding dvd-ram write support would be a big plus.

major props to you if this is the case.
Old Jan 20, 2007, 06:51 AM   #29
T1Cybernetic
I am a meat popsicle.

Location: United Kingdom Wakefield, West Yorkshire, Uk, Nr Earth
T1Cybernetic is still being judged by the masses

Im going to be building a new computer some time in the near future and the only thing i hav not chosen is what dvd and hdd drives are going into my tower.
But if it helps anyone i always found this place helps when choosing what burner to get, http://www.cdfreaks.com/ or the forums @ http://club.cdfreaks.com/

I've been using LiteOn drives since the dawn of time and i will probably do the same again, i cant fault them!
Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend. (Bruce Lee)
T1Cybernetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 09:10 AM   #30
seeker010
chaotic evil

Quote:
by "gain dvd-ram support" do you mean the ability to write? because my understanding is that the drive has 5x dvd-ram read capability already so adding dvd-ram write support would be a big plus.

major props to you if this is the case.
111, 111d, 111l and a11xl are the save drive sold with different firmware. I personally use the buffalo firmware because it supports auto bittsetting, but the pioneer firmware doesn't support +R bitsetting at all. that said there's a good chance one might screw up the flashing and brick one's unit; in which case you're SOL, so if you are the unlucky type it's best to get something with functionality you want out of the box.

Last edited by seeker010 : Jan 20, 2007 at 09:38 AM.