Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:15 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Lightbulb Alliance of American Football (2019)

https://aaf.com/

I had heard about this a while back (about a year or so ago), but had completely forgotten about it. Seems like they have some notable names leading things:

https://aaf.com/leadership

Anyone checking this out? The highlights video, for me, leaves a lot to be desired. Looked like a live-action Madden 19 game...
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:33 AM   #2
DeathKnight
Radeon Arctic Islands

DeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Subscriber

That highlight video is from a small fry channel that sounds like it's run by some kid.

Here are better ones:

Intel Core i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz | Corsair H50 | ASRock P67 Pro3 | 4 x 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3 1866 (9-10-9-28) | MSI GTX 1070Ti GAMING 8G | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Samusng 850 Evo 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | WD 640GB Black | Asus BW-12B1ST 12X Blu-ray Burner | Fractal Design Define R5 case | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU | Win 7 Pro | 1920x1080 w/ 48" LCD TV
HT: Vizio E48-C2 48" LED Backlit LCD TV | Onkyo TX-SR605 A/V receiver | JBL EC35 center | 2 JBL E30's (fronts, bi-amped) | 2 JBL N24II's (rears) | Homemade Sonosub w/Dayton 12" driver (extension to 14Hz), BASH 300w amp | Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player | Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player | Xbox 360
Camera Gear: Nikon D7000 DSLR | Nikon 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 VR | Nikon 50mm F1.8 G | Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro | Slik Pro 700DX tripod legs with Cullmann Magnesit 35Nm ballhead
DeathKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2019, 02:22 PM   #3
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight View Post
That highlight video is from a small fry channel that sounds like it's run by some kid.
I rarely, if ever, have the sound on so I'm not commenting on the quality of commenting but more of the actual football action. Different clips doesn't really change what I'm seeing as far as quality of football play.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 10, 2019, 02:33 PM   #4
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

The QB play was extremely suspect but it looks like it can have a niche. There was a QB getting blown up, helmet popped and all .. that would never happen in the NFL lol, some type of flag would have been thrown.

It will need a couple years to get some talent in there but I can see it being fun to watch.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2019, 02:37 PM   #5
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

If it runs from March to July it might get some views. Broadcast looks pro already though.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2019, 02:51 PM   #6
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
There was a QB getting blown up, helmet popped and all .. that would never happen in the NFL lol, some type of flag would have been thrown.
True dat...

That was the one highlight I saw of the series so far.. That would have definitely been a penalty in the NFL.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 03:00 PM   #7
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Older video, but it does give a quick 5 minute overview of the league.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 03:01 PM   #8
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
If it runs from March to July it might get some views. Broadcast looks pro already though.
Looks like the first season will finish up in April (so Feb-April). They only have 8 teams so it will be a pretty short season for the first year.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 04:43 PM   #9
jimmyboy
Walk it off!

jimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badges

If they took away the hard helmets and pads, and gave them old school leather pads, then I'd watch. That would fundamentally change strategy and how they played. That would make it interesting. As it is, I don't even watch NFL games.
jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2019, 04:56 PM   #10
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyboy View Post
If they took away the hard helmets and pads, and gave them old school leather pads, then I'd watch. That would fundamentally change strategy and how they played. That would make it interesting. As it is, I don't even watch NFL games.

Wut? Lol

Old Feb 10, 2019, 05:58 PM   #11
jimmyboy
Walk it off!

jimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Wut? Lol
Think about it. Not only would the game be somewhat different, but it might actually reduce serious injuries, and may prolong players' careers.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 08:41 PM   #12
Vanz_007
Not 100% a dick

Vanz_007 knows why the caged bird singsVanz_007 knows why the caged bird singsVanz_007 knows why the caged bird singsVanz_007 knows why the caged bird singsVanz_007 knows why the caged bird singsVanz_007 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Think about it. Not only would the game be somewhat different, but it might actually reduce serious injuries, and may prolong players' careers.
or they'd all crash heads and die on the first play...
Vanz_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:31 PM   #13
jimmyboy
Walk it off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanz_007 View Post
This way, it would make them stop going in head first so much. It would make them change the way they tackle and run their plays. I'd be really curious to see it played like this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 05:40 AM   #14
wabbitslayer
Elmer J. Fudd, Esq.

wabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
This way, it would make them stop going in head first so much. It would make them change the way they tackle and run their plays. I'd be really curious to see it played like this.
Well, after they've played 4 years in high school and 3-4 years in college with pads and hard helmets.....watching the real-time adaptation would be interesting.

Might need to go to 120 man rosters, though.

Games I saw reminded me of watching a MAC or MWC conference college game. It's football, but you can just tell it isn't quite the "big time" game. I found myself wondering what those teams would do if they played Clemson or Alabama.

Also....they tried not to show the stadiums....but I hope they are gettting a lot of TV revenue, because the stadiums themselves looked almost empty.
I wonder how much tickets are...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Does it really matter that much to you? Holy ****. It's almost like some of you want to argue about the most mundane, irrelevant, insensible **** just to argue about something.
wabbitslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2019, 09:13 AM   #15
logical
What is my purpose?

Quote:
Nah

Quote:
Yeah.

I think you underestimate how much people will do to be better than anyone else. Moving at fast speeds is almost impossible to not ram into guys head first. Guys will be willing to risk injury to get an advantage. I guarantee you if the NFL instated a rule that there were no helmets allowed today 75% would still play and we'd have no shortage of people willing to fill the 25% that walked off.

Old Feb 11, 2019, 09:43 AM   #16
huskylord
Individual 2

huskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

hmmmm...there is a thing called "rugby"........
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:12 AM   #17
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

I watched some more highlights last night and I do think this series has some promise. They have removed a lot of the BS of football. What they appear to really be lacking currently is good coaches. I don't think they have been able to attract some of the better coaching staffs as of yet which shows with some of the defensive schemes being run (or trying to be run).
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:45 AM   #18
logical
What is my purpose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskylord View Post
hmmmm...there is a thing called "rugby"........
Different sport with different rules that make the game play out completely different.

Old Feb 11, 2019, 02:45 PM   #19
jimmyboy
Walk it off!

Quote:
I think you underestimate how much people will do to be better than anyone else. Moving at fast speeds is almost impossible to not ram into guys head first. Guys will be willing to risk injury to get an advantage. I guarantee you if the NFL instated a rule that there were no helmets allowed today 75% would still play and we'd have no shortage of people willing to fill the 25% that walked off.
You're right about that. But that's what I'm saying; because of that tendency, they'll change or adjust the rules accordingly. For example, now, you can't hit the kicker or QB after they've released the ball. Those rules exist for the very reasons you stated. Similarly, they'll adjust rules to prevent the behavior you mentioned.

Quote:
Different sport with different rules that make the game play out completely different.
Exactly. I'd like to see American "rugby" (football) played with some modified rules.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 05:20 PM   #20
logical
What is my purpose?

If you want to see Rugby, you should just watch Rugby.

Rugby is fundamentally different. Its more like a full contact soccer. Its continuous so its never explosive as it can be cause guys tire over time. American football is played in like 10 second spurts where everyone on the field is going 100% for that full time over and over again. Not only that guys are continuously cycled in and out between these 10 second spurts of play to make sure everything can be played as fast and as hard as possible on the next play.

Now I dont know much about the rules of rugby but they dont play like american football. Those guys seem to be built for endurance and some strength rather than quick bursts of everything you got.

Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:32 AM   #21
logical
What is my purpose?

QBs can eat it.

Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:50 AM   #22
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

As expected, some opposition has started to the "violence":

Quote:
More to the point, those attempts must bypass the easiest path toward drawing hardcore, possibly disgruntled football fans: a return to the wanton violence that many of us grew up watching in the NFL.

But let’s be honest: Allowing wide receivers to get blown up over the middle and QBs to be leveled with shots to the chin is almost certainly a viable short-term business approach.
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/02/aaf...ssions-cte-nfl

Last edited by Mahjik : Feb 12, 2019 at 11:55 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:14 PM   #23
logical
What is my purpose?

I havent watched any games just some highlights but the NFL press is in full force trying to downplay the AAF. Most major sports places arent covering it that much either.

I grew up on hits like that and its what drew me in as a young kid. I know these days the NFL is trying to push safe play but the NFL game is violent in nature. There are always risks but thats what you sign up for. Its no different than any other job that has life threatening risks. They risk a lot and get paid handsomely for it.

No one is forcing young kids to go and play in the NFL or football at all. Thats a choice parents and kids make on their own. If they are so scared to get hurt than they shouldnt be playing the game. There are multitudes of other sports that kids can play where they wont have as high a risk getting hurt. I say let the hits stay.

People can say all they want about big hits causing problems but everyone knows thats what they want to see. Most people just dont want to admit it in this soft world we live in now. When was the last time you turned the tv off because of a great hit cause you couldnt stomach it? Its the same reason we watch dudes get pummeled in MMA and people get knocked out in boxing. Why is there not as much talk about boxing/mma long term affects like the NFL?

Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:27 PM   #24
Chubz
Doomer

Chubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird sings

Man, this league has massive potential. I really hope it kicks ass this year and ends up being around for a long time.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:30 AM   #25
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
I grew up on hits like that and its what drew me in as a young kid. I know these days the NFL is trying to push safe play but the NFL game is violent in nature. There are always risks but thats what you sign up for. Its no different than any other job that has life threatening risks. They risk a lot and get paid handsomely for it.
The more I read the rules of AAF, the more it seems unlikely to continue to see QB's get blown up like that. That seems like it will be pretty rare as they have rules about how many people can rush the QB on a given play (and how many defensive personnel can be on the line of scrimmage).

They seem to have structured the league to be more offensive focused so the games should probably be mostly all higher scoring than the NFL once things get moving.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 03:23 PM   #26
logical
What is my purpose?

Yeah I saw a few rules about how many men can be on the line and all. But blowing up the QB when you get the opportunity still looks like a go.

Old Feb 14, 2019, 07:28 PM   #27
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird sings

Missed watching last week, will give it a watch this weekend. Not into Basketball other then March madness, so maybe this will be some decent filler.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2019, 09:41 AM   #28
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

I actually watched a complete game from Saturday. I didn't watch it live, had it recorded and watched it later in the evening but it wasn't bad at all. It's a quicker pace than an NFL game which is nice. The actual football play wasn't as bad as I expected. I don't know if that's because I watched a full game rather than internet highlights, or if it's because it's "Week 2" in the league and they are improving.

The studio (not the game booth) commentary leaves a little to be desired but it's not terrible. I think the league has promise to be like the minor league for NFL (similar to what baseball has).

I do think the hitting rules will need to be adjusted to something closer to the NFL. Many players leading with their heads. I'm also trying to figure out the rules as what I thought I heard them say before the season seems to have changed (like the catch rules).
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:10 AM   #29
Vanz_007
Not 100% a dick

Vanz_007 knows why the caged bird singsVanz_007 knows why the caged bird singsVanz_007 knows why the caged bird singsVanz_007 knows why the caged bird singsVanz_007 knows why the caged bird singsVanz_007 knows why the caged bird sings

how is it a quicker pace, is the play clock less?
Vanz_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:19 AM   #30
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
how is it a quicker pace, is the play clock less?
Yes. Instead of 40 seconds for the NFL, they use 35 seconds. It doesn't seem like much of a change, but it's actually a pretty big change. They also have slight different rules for what stops the clock and what doesn't which makes the game go quicker.