Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Jan 11, 2019, 01:54 AM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
MNB4800
Radeon Sea Islands

MNB4800 knows why the caged bird singsMNB4800 knows why the caged bird singsMNB4800 knows why the caged bird singsMNB4800 knows why the caged bird singsMNB4800 knows why the caged bird sings

Hope for a positive and speedy outcome and recovery for your son.
Steam ID: Vayne4800, Origin: Vayne4800, Battletag: Vayne#2528
MNB4800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:12 AM   #62
Sundance Kid V2
Rage3D Spammer

Sundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Prayers from this side of the world.

Cancer can be beaten!
Sundance Kid V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2019, 03:20 PM   #63
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by traitoR View Post
A friend i work with had testicular cancer at a young age, he also had chemo, don't know if they removed anything though, for some reason i think they might have, i do know they told him he wouldn't be having children, well he's had 5 now, the oldest a teenager, so it was a long time ago now, still healthy so i'd say caught early enough and treated there is a very high probability of 100 percent recovery.

So sorry your family is being tested, stay strong.
in most cases there's only one testicle affected, so they only need to remove one which leads to no problems with having kids. And yes, only chemo without and operation is no option. The chemo does not remove the cancer, it just stops the growing and kills most of the rampant cells, they still need to remove it though. (very simplified explanation, but i guess you get the idea)

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Another definition of a hero is someone who is concerned about other people's well-being, and will go out of his or her way to help them -- even if there is no chance of a reward. That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero."

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 11, 2019, 05:19 PM   #64
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

Great big snowy hugs Munkus... It will end well though.
Taking action early is key and it looks like it happened.

Any idea on a possible cause?
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2019, 06:51 PM   #65
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterGoa View Post

I think the usual cause is 'cancer does what it wants'. There are some types that are very encouraged by behaviors or substances, but at 17 I don't think there's enough time for most of them, even with an obvious potential cause.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64

HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:08 PM   #66
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterGoa View Post
Great big snowy hugs Munkus... It will end well though.
Taking action early is key and it looks like it happened.

I have a suspicion about the cause, but there's no way to prove it. When we lived in San Jose, CA our house was about 1/2 mile away from where the IBM/Hitachi hard drive plant used to be. They demolished the buildings about 10 years ago but couldn't build anything for a long time due to chemical waste levels in the soil. It was a toxic mess. Finally, about 5 years ago, they built a shopping center and a crapton of apartments on the site. Digging up all that toxic soil and dust caused a huge spike in animal cancers in the area. According to our vet, he saw about 60 dogs die from cancer that year, including my Aussie Bodi. There's no proof of any wrong-doing, just anecdotal evidence that the construction stirred up a shitstorm that made animals sick. Less than 2 years after we moved away, my son gets cancer. Coincidence? Maybe, but it's a damn fishy one. I'm tempted to contact the local news station and ask them to do some research on cancer rates in that neighborhood in the years after the construction.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2019, 04:14 PM   #67
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Sorry to hear but hoping everything turns out OK.
Intel Core i7-3930K | Corsair Hydro Series H100 with 2 x Scythe GentleTyphoon 1850 rpm fans | GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3 | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133 MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD | Crucial m4 256 GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | Pioneer BDR-206DBK | Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 | Corsair Obsidian Series 650D | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | 2 x JBL LSR305 + 1 x JBL LSR310S | Microsoft SideWinder X4 | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | SteelSeries QcK mini | Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2019, 05:35 PM   #68
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Best wishes to you and your family Munkus
Old Jan 13, 2019, 02:50 PM   #69
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide is still being judged by the masses

Sorry to see this. Good luck and I hope he has a speedy recovery.
Sapphire Radeon VII
Samsung 960 EVO 1TB
Riptide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2019, 08:01 AM   #70
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Thanks again everyone.

We're supposed to get the pathologist's report today. I'll keep you posted.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 08:01 AM   #71
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Praying for good news
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2019, 09:01 AM   #72
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Praying for good news
+1

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2019, 02:16 PM   #73
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

The pathology report came back as Stage 2b. Not surprising. We knew it had spread to a lymph node, which had grown to about 3cm. The oncology board in Denver is discussing my son's treatment plan today. The oncologist thinks he's going to need 3 rounds of chemo, 5 days each round, and he'll need to be hospitalized during each round. That's surprising to me, since everyone I know who has had chemo has done it as an out-patient. The costs just skyrocketed by $45K-$50K since it includes hospital stays. FML

At least he'll likely be cured at the end. I'll be bankrupt, but my son will be alive. That's all I care about right now.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 02:30 PM   #74
bob saget
Stage 5 ultra-athiest

bob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

holy f*ck man. my stomach literally starts turning every time i open this thread. what a nightmare.
Too predictable.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2019, 03:36 PM   #75
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
I'll be bankrupt, but my son will be alive.
What a wonderful ****ing country we live in.

Financials should be the last thing on anyone's mind at a time like this but instead its at the forefront. I hate this about our messed up healthcare system.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2019, 03:49 PM   #76
Android1
Radeon Tahiti PRO2

Android1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Munkus, have you looked into the Cancer Financial Assistance Coalition (CFAC)? Their website is supposed to help people with cancer find sources of financial assistance. I am not sure what options you would be eligible for, but it might be worth a look.

I am truly sorry that you and your family are suffering through such an ordeal.
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:57 PM   #77
huskylord
Individual 2

huskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

I'm so sorry Munkus.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:25 PM   #78
dodger
Doggy

dodger is still being judged by the masses

Is there any way to get a second opinion? I thought chemo for that stuff was also outpatient as well. Do they know he has no insurance?
dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2019, 06:23 AM   #79
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Why isn’t insurance covering this?
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2019, 06:49 AM   #80
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
Is there any way to get a second opinion? I thought chemo for that stuff was also outpatient as well. Do they know he has no insurance?
The oncology board will decide the treatment plan. We have a meeting with the oncologist this afternoon. I'll be asking lots of questions. As for insurance, they don't care that he has none. They are more interested in saving his life, which I appreciate.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 06:53 AM   #81
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Why isn’t insurance covering this?
Our "insurance" really is more of a health cost sharing plan. Because I'm self-employed, I couldn't afford a good insurance plan from the exchange. Covering 4 people with a medium-high deductible is still $1500+ per month. We took a gamble and opted for a cheaper option, but the major downside is a 12 month waiting period before cancer coverage kicks in. The 12 months is up in April. We honestly didn't think that would be a problem when we signed up. If my son could've waited 3 months to get diagnosed, we'd be covered. We gambled and we lost.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 07:21 AM   #82
globalist
Rage3D Veteran

globalist is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankan View Post
Just curious about this. Could he not see the enlarged lymph node and needed a CT scan? Did he not notice something wrong with the testicle? I always wonder how people don't notice these things earlier until its spread.
Could be he was too embarrassed or scared to bring it up?
globalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2019, 08:34 AM   #83
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Munkus, keep looking into options for treatments and payment. I'm sure there are some (cancer) communities around which you might be able to find some people who have been in a similar situation and see what they did..

However, the main silver lining is that it appears treatable and sounds like he will have a full recovery. At the end of the day as a parent, that's what we hope for!

We'll keep your family in our prayers.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2019, 08:47 AM   #84
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalist View Post
Could be he was too embarrassed or scared to bring it up?
He noticed the lump in his testicle back in early December. However, he was in the middle of finals and college applications, so he didn't think much of it and the pain went away. A couple weeks ago the pain got worse and the lump was bigger, so he realized it was time to see a doc.

As for the enlarged lymph node, it's in a cluster of nodes deep in the groin area so there's no way he would notice it.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 09:12 AM   #85
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Our "insurance" really is more of a health cost sharing plan. Because I'm self-employed, I couldn't afford a good insurance plan from the exchange. Covering 4 people with a medium-high deductible is still $1500+ per month. We took a gamble and opted for a cheaper option, but the major downside is a 12 month waiting period before cancer coverage kicks in. The 12 months is up in April. We honestly didn't think that would be a problem when we signed up. If my son could've waited 3 months to get diagnosed, we'd be covered. We gambled and we lost.
Start a go-fund me page and all of Rage will contribute, I know I will.

yoz
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:28 AM   #86
Athena
Radeon Sea Islands

Athena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAthena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Good plan but do not pull the money till after you go bankrupt or the judge will just take the money for part of that settlement. Better yet one of us at Rage should start the page. So the financials will not be connected as part of your bankruptcy.

File the type that clears the debt as a one time sweep then the Go Fund me can pay out with no risk of it being stolen away from you. You will need all you can get to recover from this on the flip side.

My Sister-In-Law had a lump in her stomach and they had a ll fund and the hospital took it all the family saw nothing and still went bankrupt in the end.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:33 AM   #87
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
Good plan but do not pull the money till after you go bankrupt or the judge will just take the money for part of that settlement. Better yet one of us at Rage should start the page. So the financials will not be connected as part of your bankruptcy.

File the type that clears the debt as a one time sweep then the Go Fund me can pay out with no risk of it being stolen away from you. You will need all you can get to recover from this on the flip side.

My Sister-In-Law had a lump in her stomach and they had a ll fund and the hospital took it all the family saw nothing and still went bankrupt in the end.
Thank you guys. Great ideas! I should probably wait until I know how much I have to raise. The bills have only just started to come in.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:37 AM   #88
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Thank you guys. Great ideas! I should probably wait until I know how much I have to raise. The bills have only just started to come in.

yoz
Old Jan 16, 2019, 07:03 PM   #89
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

so sorry to hear that, munkus. If we had a medical system like yours i'd be dead, that's for sure. I really hope you find a way to get the payments covered.

As for the treatment, well i dunno how it's handled in the states, but here only people with radioation treatment can go back home after, a real chemo means in almost every case that you have to stay in hospital, for good reasons.

Again, we're sending tons of good thoughts and best wishes around the globe.

"Another definition of a hero is someone who is concerned about other people's well-being, and will go out of his or her way to help them -- even if there is no chance of a reward. That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero."

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2019, 02:19 PM   #90
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Thanks again everyone. You guys are amazing.

Another update:
We saw the oncologist yesterday. My son starts chemo tomorrow (Friday). He will be in the hospital for 5 days during each round of chemo (3 rounds total). They want to keep him because he'll be needing a lot of IV fluids and to control any nausea and infections. So 15 nights total in the hospital x $5K per night + chemo drugs + surgery + a million tests = horry sheet.

Rough estimate so far is between $150k-$175K when it's all done.

Anyone know where I can sell a kidney? Half a liver?

GoFundMe, here I come....