Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Oct 12, 2018, 10:34 PM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
KAC
KAC

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Looks like it can be a great movie like Drive.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:47 AM   #92
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyxCLAVEx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyxCLAVEx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I haven't seen it so I have no idea if it's any good or not, but it seems the movie bombed in opening weekend. Only pulled in 16 mil and came in 3rd place to two movies that have already been out a week.

Critics loved it, audience is "meh" on it.

That's not good.

"Be careful what you say, not everybody is open minded"
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:26 PM   #93
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCLAVEx View Post
I haven't seen it so I have no idea if it's any good or not, but it seems the movie bombed in opening weekend. Only pulled in 16 mil and came in 3rd place to two movies that have already been out a week.

Critics loved it, audience is "meh" on it.

That's not good.
I really wanted to go see it this past weekend but just couldn't make it. I was already reluctantly going to see another movie with my wife, and then had other obligations that filled up the weekend. I will be going next weekend for sure though.

Honestly I do not care how commercially successful this movie is. If its good I'll enjoy it when I eventually get a chance to watch it.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 16, 2018, 04:11 PM   #94
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I booked my tickets to see it this Friday in IMAX with Laser.
Intel Core i7-3930K | Corsair Hydro Series H100 with 2 x Scythe GentleTyphoon 1850 rpm fans | GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3 | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133 MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD | Crucial m4 256 GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | Pioneer BDR-206DBK | Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 | Corsair Obsidian Series 650D | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | 2 x JBL LSR305 + 1 x JBL LSR310S | Microsoft SideWinder X4 | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | SteelSeries QcK mini | Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2018, 09:16 PM   #95
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Saw it tonight, felt a little stale. 7 / 10

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2018, 09:09 AM   #96
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Enjoyed it. Worth seeing if you're a space buff and are interested in seeing things from Armstrong's point of view... perhaps not if jingoism is your thing.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 09:23 AM   #97
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bass View Post
Enjoyed it. Worth seeing if you're a space buff and are interested in seeing things from Armstrong's point of view...
Agreed, just thought it could have been better.

yoz
Old Oct 17, 2018, 09:41 AM   #98
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Agreed, just thought it could have been better.
Can you elaborate on the things you didn't like about it?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:23 PM   #99
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
Can you elaborate on the things you didn't like about it?
Take this with a grain of salt as maybe I was having a bad day (or perhaps my expectations were too high) but the movie felt disjointed and stiff. I though Ryan did his usual steely face (which is all he really knows how to do) but this is no Apollo 13.

I will see this again when it hits Redbox or will buy outright.

yoz
Old Oct 17, 2018, 01:15 PM   #100
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Take this with a grain of salt as maybe I was having a bad day (or perhaps my expectations were too high) but the movie felt disjointed and stiff. I though Ryan did his usual steely face (which is all he really knows how to do) but this is no Apollo 13.

I will see this again when it hits Redbox or will buy outright.
I'm not really going into this movie with any intention to compare it to Apollo 13. To me that movie was mainly about showing how NASA overcame a big catastrophic adversity during the mission. I'm thinking First Man is more of a Neil Armstrong biopic. Did you not know that beforehand?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:26 AM   #101
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
I'm thinking First Man is more of a Neil Armstrong biopic. Did you not know that beforehand?
I did and it is.

yoz
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:26 PM   #102
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

IMO, the film missed Armstrong's more light-hearted aspects, and portrayed him as more robotic than he was in real life.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 01:00 PM   #103
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
IMO, the film missed Armstrong's more light-hearted aspects, and portrayed him as more robotic than he was in real life.
Agreed, Gossling's performance is usually that anyways so it was perfectly cast.

yoz
Old Oct 30, 2018, 08:51 PM   #104
JZL
Starship Trooper

JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I finally saw this. Gosling was pretty good, playing a largely visibly unemotional man who's undercurrents occasionally rise to the surface.

Using children's death or illness is a lame trope, but it's true in Armstrong's case, so a pass there.

Claire Foy as Janet Armstrong nearly stole the show, but the real star is The Mission.

The problem with a movie like this is that the story is so well known, even if the man wasn't, it has to walk the line between drama and documentary. In the end there's something unavoidably lacking because it can't be "in two places at once." I'm not sure how, but Apollo 13 pulled off the tightrope act better. It's a more dramatic story because sh1t went horribly wrong and it had the added despair of Jim Lovell being so close yet so far away to walking on the "lost moon."
Old Feb 18, 2019, 09:37 AM   #105
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

I picked up the Blu-Ray over the weekend so finally got to watch it. I thought it was a good movie, despite not being the typical historical NASA film. I wasn't aware of a lot of Neil Armstrong's family background so it was a pleasant surprise when I found out it was a biopic on him, rather than just about the mission.

I really didn't see it as a movie just about the Apollo 11 mission, but rather the mission takes a backseat to Neil Armstrong's life story from the early days of him as a daring test pilot in the 1960's who also started a family that experienced great loss. To me, the fact he was able to still muster such stoic unflappable resolve of commanding the Apollo 11 mission while also dealing with the loss of a child is what the film is really about. To be able to live and manage life in such different extremes is just amazing to me and to be honest gives me great hope that people are capable of accomplishing great feats even when life has beaten them down in the most horrible way.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 02:44 PM   #106
JZL
Starship Trooper

JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
I really didn't see it as a movie just about the Apollo 11 mission, but rather the mission takes a backseat to Neil Armstrong's life story from the early days of him as a daring test pilot in the 1960's who also started a family that experienced great loss. To me, the fact he was able to still muster such stoic unflappable resolve of commanding the Apollo 11 mission while also dealing with the loss of a child is what the film is really about.
Yes, but . . . wasn't a theme of the movie him using the mission to avoid dealing with the loss? I guess at some point he does actually process it and deal with it. I can't recall where in the story this happens.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 03:08 PM   #107
Ne0Griever
Radeon Arctic Islands

Ne0Griever once held a door open for a complete strangerNe0Griever once held a door open for a complete strangerNe0Griever once held a door open for a complete strangerNe0Griever once held a door open for a complete stranger

One thing I felt this movie did well over Apollo 13 was it emphasizes how dangerous these missions were and the risks these astronauts faced:

To give the astronauts practice piloting the LM on its descent, NASA commissioned Bell Aircraft to build two Lunar Landing Research Vehicles (LLRV), later augmented with three Lunar Landing Training Vehicles (LLTV). Nicknamed the "Flying Bedsteads", they simulated the Moon's one-sixth gravity using a turbofan engine to support five-sixths of the craft's weight. On May 6, 1968, 100 feet (30 m) above the ground, Armstrong's controls started to degrade and the LLRV began rolling.[93] He ejected safely before the vehicle struck the ground and burst into flames. Later analysis suggested that if he had ejected half a second later, his parachute would not have opened in time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Armstrong

The Apollo 11 scenes also felt he was in a flimsy metal spacecraft in comparison to Apollo 13 which felt that they were in a plastic kids toy. And the two missions only took place less than a year from each other.
Ne0Griever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2019, 04:19 PM   #108
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZL View Post
Yes, but . . . wasn't a theme of the movie him using the mission to avoid dealing with the loss? I guess at some point he does actually process it and deal with it. I can't recall where in the story this happens.
It might be a matter of perspective of the viewer, because I didn't pick up on that theme. I can see how someone would get that though.

To me he just seemed portrayed as cold, calculated and 100% focused on the mission despite the loss of his daughter. But all the while still was dealing with his feelings bottled up tight although determined to not let them interfere. For example the fact the other characters mention he never talks about her, even though they try to get him to. It all culminates at the end of the film when he's standing on the rim of the crater and finally "let's go."
Old Feb 18, 2019, 05:39 PM   #109
globalist
Rage3D Veteran

globalist is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
It might be a matter of perspective of the viewer, because I didn't pick up on that theme. I can see how someone would get that though.

To me he just seemed portrayed as cold, calculated and 100% focused on the mission despite the loss of his daughter. But all the while still was dealing with his feelings bottled up tight although determined to not let them interfere. For example the fact the other characters mention he never talks about her, even though they try to get him to. It all culminates at the end of the film when he's standing on the rim of the crater and finally "let's go."
I wondered, did Neil Armstrong really throw a necklace into a crater or was that just artistic license?
globalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2019, 07:27 PM   #110
KAC
KAC

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Yes he was carrying a necklace all the while because it was more important than him keeping tabs on his oxygen gauge. Also these suits now come with pockets to keep so whenever you want you can pull out necklace, donuts or a flashlight when you are in space.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 07:44 PM   #111
JZL
Starship Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalist View Post
I wondered, did Neil Armstrong really throw a necklace into a crater or was that just artistic license?
Unknown but very doubtful (from what I've read).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Yes he was carrying a necklace all the while because it was more important than him keeping tabs on his oxygen gauge. Also these suits now come with pockets to keep so whenever you want you can pull out necklace, donuts or a flashlight when you are in space.
It was very common for astronauts to sneak personal items and future memorabilia onto the missions, including Armstrong.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:30 PM   #112
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Yes the astronauts did bring personal items on the Apollo missions and was allowed by NASA as long as they met certain safety and weight requirements. Look up "NASA personal preference kit" if you want to learn more.

As for his daughter's necklace/bracelet, most likely was just creative interpretation of what might have happened to make for a better story ending. Who knows though.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:48 PM   #113
Capt. Picard
Radeon Northern Islands

Capt. Picard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Capt. Picard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Capt. Picard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Capt. Picard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Capt. Picard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Capt. Picard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZL View Post
"HERE MEN FROM THE PLANET EARTH
FIRST SET FOOT UPON THE MOON
JULY 1969, A.D.
WE CAME IN PEACE FOR ALL MANKIND"

/s/ Armstrong, Collins, Aldrin, and Nixon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
No no no, the quote was:

"'MURIKA!
**** YEAH!"
/s/ Armstrong, Collins, Aldrin, and Nixon

Fixed
Old Feb 19, 2019, 02:10 AM   #114
globalist
Rage3D Veteran

globalist is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
You alright dude?
globalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2019, 02:19 AM   #115
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

Can't recall the source, but I seem to recall someone close to Armstrong stating that the throwing of the necklace almost certainly never happened.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 05:37 AM   #116
KAC
KAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalist View Post
You alright dude?
No I meant to say flesh light not flashlight.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 06:33 PM   #117
JZL
Starship Trooper

Quote:
Can't recall the source, but I seem to recall someone close to Armstrong stating that the throwing of the necklace almost certainly never happened.
Probably his wife. She said something like he took some jewelry up for her but nothing for the two boys, about which she was mildly upset. I think it was this comment that gave the writer the idea for the necklace. There was a NY Times or Washington Post article about it when the movie was released.
I've never been the first man on the moon so who knows, but it's hard to figure a dad would have thrown off such a necklace anywhere or any time.
In any case, it was a powerful scene and probably brought a tear to all who saw it, except KAC, who no doubt snuck in his fleshlight so he could "wax the rocket" in the dark.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 05:19 AM   #118
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

The necklace thing was made up but it's a symbol for Neil being a very private man who wouldn't tell anybody if he did that anyway. His grief, his way.

I thought the movie was quite boring, considering the actual subject matter.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote