Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Dec 7, 2019, 10:01 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Leprechaun
Radeon Arctic Islands

Leprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLeprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I got rid of mechanical drives a few years ago. They always slow down the desktop experience. Spinning up and what not.

Now I have an nvme for OS
nvme for installed games.
and 3x SSD for storage (1TB each)

one of the SSDs has stuff downloaded to it, extracted, etc etc. Many GBs of stuff gets overwritten so many times. Still working 5 years later.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 12:03 AM   #32
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

500 gig nvme drive and 2 1x tb sata ssds

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2019, 07:09 AM   #33
Falck
Radeon R420

Falck is still being judged by the masses

Just one 2TB HP EX950 NVMe.
Falck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 8, 2019, 11:31 AM   #34
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Plex drive is a normal drive, plus photo's and other stuff.

However I have a 500GB drive for OS, 1TB was for games but wasn't enough so I have also a 4TB SSD for games too.

a SSD is a base requirement for a PC these days imo, if you don't use a SSD even a tiny 120GB just for the OS and applications you're REALLY missing out on one of the biggest changes to PC ever.

Forget loading times, Windows just works FAR better with a SSD.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2019, 07:40 PM   #35
x-voodoo
Radeon R700

x-voodoo is still being judged by the masses

Just added a 2TB SSD, moved Forza Horizon 4 off my mechanical hard drive to the SSD and WOW!!!!!!! What used to take almost a minute to load now only takes 10-15 seconds!!!!!!!!!!

And yes Windows 10 works way better with an SSD.

I will be phasing out mechanical hard drives on my PC's (my next build will not have any)...
x-voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2019, 02:06 AM   #36
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

It seems some of you guys are barbaric to trying SSDs only in 2019.

I gots 1 NVME, 3 SSD and 4 platters. Need to nab one more NVME SSD so that can fill that putter up.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2019, 02:05 PM   #37
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmcl7 View Post
My desktop uses a 2TB SSD for games and applications but hard drives for the rest of the storage (2x4TB, a 10TB, 12TB and 14TB) because at the moment SSD's are not cost effective for high density.

My laptops are all SSD only and have been for some time.
What models are your 10TB, 12TB and 14TB?

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 860Pro 512GB/ 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
0091/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2019, 02:38 AM   #38
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Does only having external USB HDDs count as having SSDs only, since it's SSD only on the inside

If so, 1x1TiB Samsung M2 970Pro, 1x512GiB 960 and x512GiB 970's.

Rest external HDD storage as USB and external NAS box for backup and storage.
daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2019, 11:10 AM   #39
Johnmcl7
Knowledge is Power

Johnmcl7 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0091/2 View Post
What models are your 10TB, 12TB and 14TB?
The 10TB and 12TB are Seagate Ironwolf's and the 14TB is an external Western Digital Elements drive. It's really annoying that external USB drives are so much cheaper than the internal versions although I've been toying with going for a WD Duo 24TB which you can remove the WD Reds from without voiding the warranty.

"Every person has voices in their heads, whispered doubts and ambitions, dreams and nightmares. How much reality one gives them, how much you allow yourself to be controlled...that only you can decide"
Johnmcl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2019, 12:39 PM   #40
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

I have 3 SSDs (250Gb for OS, 2 x 500Gb for games) plus 1 2TB mechanical drive for backups, pictures, and random downloads.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2019, 08:02 PM   #41
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I've run with only SSDs for at least half a decade now. However, I do also have a NAS running with mirrored 8 TB drives. All my files and such go to the NAS, only applications/games are installed on my computer's SSD.

If I only had a single computer I'd probably still have a hard drive, but I have so many different machines in my house, which is also a home office, that it's easier to just have the NAS with all the files in one place, so they can be accessed from wherever.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2019, 08:20 PM   #42
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

I have a single 500GB SSD that I use for Windows and all games. More than enough for me for the past 8yrs. All movies/photos/etc are stored on a 3TB mechanical drive.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 12:31 AM   #43
Babel-17
Radeon R300

Babel-17 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyBabel-17 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Two 480 GB Mushkin Strikers, a 2 TB Crucial MX500, and a 480 GB MyDigitalSSD BPX NVMe SSD.
Babel-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2020, 09:24 PM   #44
Dengin
Rage3D Veteran

Dengin is still being judged by the masses

I have a 256GB SSD and a 1TB hard drive in my system. I just found out yesterday that 1TB SSD drives went down in price to about $139.- and 2TB SSDs can be had for under $200. So long, HDs.
Dengin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2020, 08:30 AM   #45
Jet Black
Radeon Sea Islands

Jet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird sings

All my 'operational' drives are SSD (games, OS, etc.) but I have a 3TB HDD drive in there for Shadowplay, cloud services like Google Drive and MS OneDrive, etc.
Jet Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2020, 03:27 PM   #46
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

4TB of SSHD in RAID for Steam and what not, while the boot and main apps drive is NVMe.

That's my main system.

Every other system I have under my care is basically SATA SSD or NVME.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengin View Post
I have a 256GB SSD and a 1TB hard drive in my system. I just found out yesterday that 1TB SSD drives went down in price to about $139.- and 2TB SSDs can be had for under $200. So long, HDs.
Sadly up here we are still looking at $200 for 1TB and $400 for 2TB of TLC drives. You can get cheaper if you go QLC but that's rust slow and the reliability is ehhhh

Heatware

Last edited by gamefoo21 : Jan 5, 2020 at 03:33 PM.
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2020, 11:00 PM   #47
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 once held a door open for a complete strangerCrawdaddy79 once held a door open for a complete strangerCrawdaddy79 once held a door open for a complete strangerCrawdaddy79 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Two 500 GB SSDs. However, I have a 4 TB platter for the things that don't need to load fast.
Crawdaddy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:53 AM   #48
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefoo21 View Post
4TB of SSHD in RAID for Steam and what not, while the boot and main apps drive is NVMe.

That's my main system.

Every other system I have under my care is basically SATA SSD or NVME.

Sadly up here we are still looking at $200 for 1TB and $400 for 2TB of TLC drives. You can get cheaper if you go QLC but that's rust slow and the reliability is ehhhh
My 4TB QLC is no slower than any of my other SSD's when it comes to games. It's only when you're transferring large files in one go does it slow down, which if it's a game drive is very rare/almost never, as Downloading games doesn't download in one go unless you're downloading gigabyte's a second.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:

Last edited by SirBaron : Jan 6, 2020 at 11:59 AM.
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote