Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Home Theaters and Photography
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Home Theaters and Photography Discussion forum for Home Theater enthusiasts and newbies. Also the place to discuss and post your photography ventures and queries.

Old Dec 7, 2015, 04:11 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Default OLED TV vs. projector

Which would you say provides better picture quality? The best OLED TV or one of the better/premium projectors?
Intel Core i7-3930K | Corsair Hydro Series H100i PRO | GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3 | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133 MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD | Crucial m4 256 GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | Pioneer BDR-206DBK | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 | Corsair Obsidian Series 650D | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | 2 x JBL LSR305 + 1 x JBL LSR310S | Microsoft SideWinder X4 | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | SteelSeries QcK mini | Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2015, 04:18 PM   #2
MyTMouse
Console Forumas Modamus

MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

I would say OLED for sure
MyTMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2015, 05:22 PM   #3
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

OzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English Channel

OLED.
OzzieBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 7, 2015, 08:53 PM   #4
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Premium projector with an off white curved screen with a 0.8 Gain.

I own both a Samsung 4K OLED and my Epson 5030UB. I prefer the projector.
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS14, EVGA FTW3 2080Ti Sixtuple SLI, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2015, 01:02 AM   #5
DigitalDemon
Flaccid Flexor

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
Premium projector with an off white curved screen with a 0.8 Gain.

I own both a Samsung 4K OLED and my Epson 5030UB. I prefer the projector.
You might want to have a word with the salesman that sold you the Samsung tv, as Samsung does not sell an OLED tv...
DigitalDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2015, 05:46 AM   #6
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDemon View Post
You might want to have a word with the salesman that sold you the Samsung tv, as Samsung does not sell an OLED tv...
Samsung KN55S9C is the one I have, my bad not 4K.
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS14, EVGA FTW3 2080Ti Sixtuple SLI, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Old Dec 8, 2015, 07:06 AM   #7
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Ouch, those first Samsung OLED's were priced ridiculous and then they got out of the game. Ill stick with my $1250 OLED LG 55EG9100.
Nascar24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2015, 07:10 AM   #8
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

I am giving it to my parents because their old Sony is on its last legs. I just don't use it anymore. Projector is so much better. Now when they come out with decent priced 4K projectors that have awesome Frame Interpolation then I just don't want to spend $24000 on one right now
Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:50 AM   #9
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

While I'm admittedly not familiar with projectors, I have a tough time believing that DLP is in any way better than OLED - other than screen size
Old Dec 8, 2015, 11:15 AM   #10
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by curio View Post
While I'm admittedly not familiar with projectors, I have a tough time believing that DLP is in any way better than OLED - other than screen size
5030UB is not DLP.

http://www.epson.ca/cgi-bin/ceStore/...&UseCookie=yes

Its an awesome projector. I will get their 4K once its around $4000-$5000.

The issue right now is I can't use Super Resolution with Frame Interpolation. You can only use one or the other so I use Frame Interpolation set to Fast. Its like 240Hz, Very Fast is 480Hz but it looks and feels weird.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 11:17 AM   #11
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Quote:
5030UB is not DLP.

http://www.epson.ca/cgi-bin/ceStore/...&UseCookie=yes

Its an awesome projector. I will get their 4K once its around $4000-$5000.

The issue right now is I can't use Super Resolution with Frame Interpolation. You can only use one or the other so I use Frame Interpolation set to Fast. Its like 240Hz, Very Fast is 480Hz but it looks and feels weird.
ahhhhhh; my bad. I was under the assumption that projectors were still 1 or 3 chip DLP's; didn't realize they have 3 chip LCD's now
Old Dec 8, 2015, 12:20 PM   #12
MyTMouse
Console Forumas Modamus

MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

I have trouble believing that any projector beyond the most insanely amazing available in the most perfect room setting could compete with OLED.
MyTMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2015, 01:16 PM   #13
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTMouse View Post
I have trouble believing that any projector beyond the most insanely amazing available in the most perfect room setting could compete with OLED.
It does come down to room setup.

For those of us who want IQ, a dark room with little to no ambient light, with an off white/grey screen with a 0.8 Gain for perfect blacks and whites with a throw distance of 12' - 15' throw distance.

For those that want comfort and ease with a room with normal ambient light you are looking at a screen that is WHITE and I mean white like Switch. With a 1.0 - 2.0 Gain. This allows for a brighter picture in a room with ambient light. The blacks won't be true but will probably be a little grey.

The screen does matter. Stay away from manual pull downs and mechanical screens. Reason for this is overtime the screen will stretch and produce sag lines. It shows up in your picture and looks horrible. Go with a fixed frame, these keep their shape overtime and are great even if you upgrade your projector. The downside to fixed frame is stupid children who want to run up and touch Pixar's latest and greatest on a 135" screen...

Projectors do matter, only look at Epson, Panasonic or JVC. They have the best quality out there. BenQ if you want to save money. Sony stinks.

I'll post some more pics when I get home.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 01:56 PM   #14
DigitalDemon
Flaccid Flexor

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Samsung KN55S9C is the one I have, my bad not 4K.
Weird, I have never encountered this tv before. Still, I don't know how any projector could beat a modern OLED, unless your desire is to go 65+ inches, in which then projectors are the only way to go without getting a 3rd mortgage
DigitalDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2015, 05:52 PM   #15
Nascar24

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDemon View Post
Weird, I have never encountered this tv before. Still, I don't know how any projector could beat a modern OLED, unless your desire is to go 65+ inches, in which then projectors are the only way to go without getting a 3rd mortgage

Yea, I would only see it as a size thing as well, not saying it doesn't look good but to me it seems it would be washed out comparatively.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 01:11 AM   #16
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

OLED unless you want greater size. The Black depth and contrast ratio is going to be higher on an OLED set. But, projectors can look more than stunning enough and can get... well theatre big. So the trade off is more than worth it if you can get a room setup for it.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi XtremeMusic(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2015, 09:08 PM   #17
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Unless you get a theatre projector, or a laser projector, go recent gen OLED 4K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2015, 12:58 PM   #18
Nascar24

Definitely go 4k OLED if price isn't an issue. I wont spend $3K for a 55" 4K OLED at this point, it was either 65" 4K LED or 55" 1080P OLED for me, I believe the benefits of a 1080P OLED was much better then the benefits of a 4K LED. Or there is always the 65" 4K OLED for $5k.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 09:09 PM   #19
GravY
Rage3D Spammer

GravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

The enjoyment of a projector and screen size cannot be beat. If you have the space for it I highly recommend it.
"Yes, but God has the right to get away with anything. Shoot animals, make ugly women, allow the existence of religious nuts, and watch liederhosen-wearing midget poodle-licking pornography. God's a sick bastard." - OzzieBloke

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)
GravY is offline   Reply With Quote