Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Nov 15, 2019, 04:29 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Athena
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Athena once held a door open for a complete strangerAthena once held a door open for a complete strangerAthena once held a door open for a complete stranger

Monitor Duel screen Win10 bug

So I have a couple boxes at the bank that have started this strange thing when they go to sleep they shuffle all the windows and apps that had been on the 2nd screen back o the 1st. I tried a few things and after looking it up on the MS support and finding this is a Win10 bug of old that MS seems to have no plans on fixing people must have found was around it.

So this plagues PCs when the main screen is on VGA and the 2nd on HDMI or Display Port or the other way around. It can be fine for months or for ever, but once it goes bad there seems to be no way of fixing it other than re-installing the OS from scratch. (The option I am trying to avoid as that seems silly)

I have seen people online selling hacks that make it so the 2nd screen never sleeps when the PC locks. Or I saw one guy had hit and miss success buying video cards and installing them. (This seems to mainly hit PCs with MOBO based graphics running multiple screens according to the MS support page)

Anyway the box is a HP mini PC so putting a video card in it will be costly so hardly worth it for running 2d.

Seems with all the hardware brains around here someone might have seen this and hacked their way around it.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 10:48 PM   #2
QEFX
AIW Rage Pro Turbo

QEFX can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyQEFX can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Well if two screens are fighting then you have to expect to have some issues ... Duel very punny.

Now 3 of our office computers with multi screens had this issue on reboot (2 win 10 & 1 Win 7). The win 7 one we fixed with some software workaround ... and then the SDD died 2 weeks later.

The Win 10s we tried everything short of buying UPS to make sure they only rebooted 2 times per year for patches. Finally gave up and got some cheap AMD & NVidia add in cards ($100 CDN or so) and the problem did go away once we had all monitors on the new cards.

One on the card and one on the Asus / Intel MB had weird lag issues moving between screens so we ended up just going on the discreet card. We didn't last long enough with the mixed set-up to verify if this fixed the issue. Nor did we verify if we just add in the card but not use it worked as a fix.

The upside is we now have 2 machines that can run 5 monitors ... though we top out at 3.
GOG: ITHAQUACDN
Battle.Net: <Account is dead ... for now>
Marvel FF: ITHAQUACDN
QEFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2019, 05:22 AM   #3
atomBomb
Diamond Stealth 2mb VRAM

atomBomb is still being judged by the masses

How about something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Gra...=fsclp_pl_dp_3

A quick dirty hack for the problem.

pc-masterrace
atomBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 23, 2019, 12:28 AM   #4
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I’ve had multiple issues where dam windows refuses to detect the second monitor when the monitor is identical, change to a different model and it detects no problem. and it had been working without issue for months.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2019, 03:39 PM   #5
Athena
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Athena once held a door open for a complete strangerAthena once held a door open for a complete strangerAthena once held a door open for a complete stranger

Started with the USB to VGA device then went to a display-port to HDMI adapter. Last I tried was buying a half height video card and still no go. That last one was the suggestion right off the MS support page as the actual fix. (Tried many other hacks and changes but you get the idea)

Now I am looking at making an exception in Group Policy were the PC will lock but never actually go to sleep and see if that will stop this madness.

The problem with that is the FDIC does not like exceptions when they do reviews and we have a review every few years a a bank. So if that works I will then have to write up a exception and explain myself every two to three years. Fun stuff.