Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Sep 10, 2009, 11:53 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Scott
I like my backyard

Scott is still being judged by the masses

Default Do you use Google Android?

I got an HTC Dream last week and have just been getting used to it. Got some cool free aps installed but my carrier Rogers (Canada) has limited access to the Android Market to free-only aps. Suspect they're trying to figure a way to jam their fingers into paid aps for a cut and until they can do that we get none.

The firmware version I've got is 1.5 which should make this cupcake. Apparently this phone will be limited to that and won't be upgradeable past 1.5.

Battery-life is the biggest drawback so far. If I enable 3G then I'll need to recharge at the end of the day with moderate online and only minimal calling. 2G really helps with the standby time but of course that's normal.

I've only had one ap "SnapTell" (uses cam to take barcode or label pics to look up products) go wrong and it was a graphic corruption after taking a snap of one product then going back to view to take a second.

Haven't spent the time to check out the camera yet but nice that it's 3.2MP and can take video.

What's the experience of other users, tips/tricks 'n the like?

I got a pair of tweezers, a can of air, and some bacardi :\

-
sittal
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2009, 04:30 AM   #2
Aneska
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Aneska kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAneska kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAneska kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAneska kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAneska kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAneska kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAneska kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAneska kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAneska kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAneska kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I have the g1 phone. My battery normally lasts about a day even with 3g which I'm fine with. There are tons of free apps, I don't even really care about the pay ones. The camera is pretty awesome for a phone camera.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 09:19 AM   #3
Tizen
Custom User Title

Tizen is still being judged by the masses

Got a Galaxy. Love it, great phone. The battery life though

As for the paid apps thing... ... ...

Until they enable payed apps here that is. I need only 2 or 3 great apps for battery management.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 11, 2009, 10:06 AM   #4
Waqas
lurker

Waqas is still being judged by the masses

Market enabler will let you get paid applications.

http://code.google.com/p/market-enabler/
Waqas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2009, 11:33 AM   #5
EMunEeE
Formerly MrEMan4K

EMunEeE is still being judged by the masses

I want to get a HTC Hero but it doesn't have AT&T's 3G bands (AT&T!). My next phone will be Android based however.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 11:37 AM   #6
WFTW
Banned

WFTW is still being judged by the masses

I have a Touch Pro that I've set up with Windows Mobile 6.5, but I've also installed Android on it, which allows me to dual boot in a matter of speaking.

In all honesty, I really don't think much of it at this point.
It's somewhat interesting to play around with, but doesn't seem that special.
WFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2009, 12:06 PM   #7
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFTW View Post
I have a Touch Pro that I've set up with Windows Mobile 6.5, but I've also installed Android on it, which allows me to dual boot in a matter of speaking.

In all honesty, I really don't think much of it at this point.
It's somewhat interesting to play around with, but doesn't seem that special.
It can't be worse than WM6.5
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2009, 12:30 PM   #8
WFTW
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
I doubt you've used WM 6.5, at least any of the recent builds, say 23016 and upwards, with or without TF3D (especially the newer Touch Flo 3D's, those being 2.1, 2.5, and 2.6)

WM 6.5 230xx Titanium interface + TF3D 2.x makes for one super slick device.

Of all the Mobile OS's, WM is still the most feature-complete, customizable, and flexible (works on the widest range of devices, from Touch to non-touch screens, from lowly Ti-Omap processors to Snapdragons and now Tegras).

GPS navigation : second to none
Multit-tasking: equals the Pre, at least
Voice control: second to none
Business applications: second to none
Device support: second to none
The ability and variety of ways to tether, email, sms, mms, capture video and audio: second to none
Skinning & customizing: second to none

WinMo's greatest strength is also its greatest weakness, it does too much, and it can be confusing for WinMo newbies.

When you can start out with a UI out of the box that looks like this:

And then turn it into something that looks like this:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=471649

That's when you really begin to appreciate the limitless ways of exploiting WM's flexibility.

There's already a Pre UI, as well as iPhone UI, Android UI, etc made for WM too.

Last edited by WFTW : Sep 11, 2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 12:34 PM   #9
EMunEeE
Formerly MrEMan4K

Quote:

Actually it can be, especially if your device wasn't designed for Android by the manufacturer.

Which reminds me, can you record videos yet? LOLz
Old Sep 11, 2009, 12:42 PM   #10
NYHecK
Bad motha-shut yo mouth!™

NYHecK is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

I have a g1 as well and to be honest Android is pretty plain, simple and boring. On the g1 at least. The htc hero's sence ui and the new motorola phone that was announced yesterday look really nice and impressive. Just a drawback of getting first generation gear.

There are a ton of apps on the market but most of the are very specific and mostly useless to 95% of the people surfing the market.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 12:47 PM   #11
WFTW
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHecK View Post
I have a g1 as well and to be honest Android is pretty plain, simple and boring. On the g1 at least. The htc hero's sence ui and the new motorola phone that was announced yesterday look really nice and impressive. Just a drawback of getting first generation gear.

There are a ton of apps on the market but most of the are very specific and mostly useless to 95% of the people surfing the market.
Yeah, the Sence UI is what was much needed for Android.
It basically adds a whole new level of slickness to Android that was missing with its native UI, much like TF3D covered up for WM 6.1's lacking.

WM 6.5 on the other hand is slick as it is.

Still, have to respect HTC for sprucing up Android.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 12:57 PM   #12
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMunEeE View Post
Actually it can be, especially if your device wasn't designed for Android by the manufacturer.

Which reminds me, can you record videos yet? LOLz
Not officially, yet. People are experimenting, recording at full camera resolution at 30fps already.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 01:00 PM   #13
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
I doubt you've used WM 6.5, at least any of the recent builds, say 23016 and upwards, with or without TF3D (especially the newer Touch Flo 3D's, those being 2.1, 2.5, and 2.6)

WM 6.5 230xx Titanium interface + TF3D 2.x makes for one super slick device.

Of all the Mobile OS's, WM is still the most feature-complete, customizable, and flexible (works on the widest range of devices, from Touch to non-touch screens, from lowly Ti-Omap processors to Snapdragons and now Tegras).

GPS navigation : second to none
Multit-tasking: equals the Pre, at least
Voice control: second to none
Business applications: second to none
Device support: second to none
The ability and variety of ways to tether, email, sms, mms, capture video and audio: second to none
Skinning & customizing: second to none

WinMo's greatest strength is also its greatest weakness, it does too much, and it can be confusing for WinMo newbies.

When you can start out with a UI out of the box that looks like this:

And then turn it into something that looks like this:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=471649

That's when you really begin to appreciate the limitless ways of exploiting WM's flexibility.

There's already a Pre UI, as well as iPhone UI, Android UI, etc made for WM too.
You'd be incorrect then. Friend of mine had a WM phone running a custom 6.5 rom, and I got to use it enough to know that, even with custom rom's, its still slow as dog turds. I can't remember what model phone he had, it wasn't too old of a phone though. Funny thing is, the other day he messaged me telling me he couldn't even imagine using WM again now that he's got his 3Gs.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 01:37 PM   #14
EMunEeE
Formerly MrEMan4K

I think Android will really come into its own when Donut (Android 2.0) is released in Q4. Can't wait.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 02:31 PM   #15
WFTW
Banned

Quote:
You'd be incorrect then. Friend of mine had a WM phone running a custom 6.5 rom, and I got to use it enough to know that, even with custom rom's, its still slow as dog turds. I can't remember what model phone he had, it wasn't too old of a phone though. Funny thing is, the other day he messaged me telling me he couldn't even imagine using WM again now that he's got his 3Gs.
You'd be wrong then too, because I've used Android and I've found it to be just as slow and unresponsive on current devices.

Also, part of the reason why *CERTAIN* (key word there: CERTAIN) WinMo phones seems slow is because of a lack of 3D Drivers used to accelerate anything UI intensive in HTC models that makes use of the infamous Qualcomm MSM7201 chipset, which virtually every HTC phone has used some variant of for the last 2 Generations, INCLUDING ANDROID phones.

Like I said, the hardware on my Touch Pro is virtually identical to that of the G1, and Android doesn't feel any snappier than WM 6.5, not in the least bit. Same chip, same sh*t.

This is part of the reason why HTC was slapped with a class-action lawsuit not too long ago.

FWIW, WM phones running off of Snapdragon, or phones such as the Omnia II which have 800 MHz processors in them much like the Pre run circles around any Android device currently on the market.

Don't blame the OS, it's that crappy Qualcomm MSM 720x processor that HTC has slapped into WM phones for the last 3 years that makes them appear slow.

P.S. MS has made Tegra/Snapdragon/ARM Cortex A6/8 a requirement for WM7, so that should put to rest any complaints about responsiveness, or the lack thereof.

Edit:
Oh, and don't even get me started on the 3GS.
That has got to be the most locked down, most limiting, most unproductive OS on the market as far as "smart phones" go.
I'm reluctant to even call the iPhone OS a smartphone OS.
The damned thing can't even multi-task, it took them over 2 years to get copy/paste and basic (still basic) ways to edit/view Office documents, still can't send MMS, still can't access the file system, still limited to what types of files you can send as email attachments, still can't tether, still can't use VOIP apps via 3G, still can't use Google Voice, still limited in so many ways!
I'd shoot myself if I ever had to use one of those things for the things I do with my phones on the go.

Last edited by WFTW : Sep 11, 2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 02:36 PM   #16
vitocorleone
Radeon Arctic Islands

vitocorleone is still being judged by the masses

Played with the G1 for awhile long ago. Am having work order me a mytouch 3g in the next week or so to have around (I need a phone with each major OS for my job). Android SEEMS to have a lot of potential yet to be realized.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 02:48 PM   #17
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
You'd be wrong then too, because I've used Android and I've found it to be just as slow and unresponsive on current devices.

Also, part of the reason why *CERTAIN* (key word there: CERTAIN) WinMo phones seems slow is because of a lack of 3D Drivers used to accelerate anything UI intensive in HTC models that makes use of the infamous Qualcomm MSM7201 chipset, which virtually every HTC phone has used some variant of for the last 2 Generations, INCLUDING ANDROID phones.

Like I said, the hardware on my Touch Pro is virtually identical to that of the G1, and Android doesn't feel any snappier than WM 6.5, not in the least bit. Same chip, same sh*t.

This is part of the reason why HTC was slapped with a class-action lawsuit not too long ago.

FWIW, WM phones running off of Snapdragon, or phones such as the Omnia II which have 800 MHz processors in them much like the Pre run circles around any Android device currently on the market.

Don't blame the OS, it's that crappy Qualcomm MSM 720x processor that HTC has slapped into WM phones for the last 3 years that makes them appear slow.

P.S. MS has made Tegra/Snapdragon/ARM Cortex A6/8 a requirement for WM7, so that should put to rest any complaints about responsiveness, or the lack thereof.

Edit:
Oh, and don't even get me started on the 3GS.
That has got to be the most locked down, most limiting, most unproductive OS on the market as far as "smart phones" go.
I'm reluctant to even call the iPhone OS a smartphone OS.
The damned thing can't even multi-task, it took them over 2 years to get copy/paste and basic (still basic) ways to edit/view Office documents, still can't send MMS, still can't access the file system, still limited to what types of files you can send as email attachments, still can't tether, still can't use VOIP apps via 3G, still can't use Google Voice, still limited in so many ways!
I'd shoot myself if I ever had to use one of those things for the things I do with my phones on the go.
Not going to disagree about the 3Gs points you made, it's also not for me. My friend's is jailbroken, and he worships it, I've used it, and I honestly found it a bit confusing, the interface didn't make any sense to me, completely unintuitive. I also agree on that 528mhz chip. HTC just whores it all over the place, its a bad strategy. Thing is, you said you want the TP2, its based on the same chip
Old Sep 11, 2009, 02:57 PM   #18
WFTW
Banned

Quote:
Not going to disagree about the 3Gs points you made, it's also not for me. My friend's is jailbroken, and he worships it, I've used it, and I honestly found it a bit confusing, the interface didn't make any sense to me, completely unintuitive. I also agree on that 528mhz chip. HTC just whores it all over the place, its a bad strategy. Thing is, you said you want the TP2, its based on the same chip
That I know. But it also has a nice 3.6" screen with WVGA resolution, oh and it titlts. The chip is also a "refined" MSM 72xx chip, not that that's saying much, but all reports thus far indicate that it's snappier than the Touch Pro 1.

Still, I'd prefer to get my hands on something like the Omnia II or the Toshiba TG01, but they are incompatible with Sprints CDMA network, and lack the 3G (EVDO Rev-A) bands Sprint uses.

So, I have to "settle", and I certainly wouldn't mind trading up to a TP2 if I could get one for up to $100 in addition to whatever my TP1 sells for. Anything more than that and it's simply not worth it to me, larger screen and resolution be damned.

What MS REALLY needs to do however is just throw a Radio (no, not HD Radio) inside the Zune HD and just call it a phone already.
That's what I really want, a Zune HD-esque phone with Tegra
Seems like I have to wait for WM7 for that to happen, or at least until 6.5.1 is official.

Last edited by WFTW : Sep 11, 2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 05:49 PM   #19
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
That I know. But it also has a nice 3.6" screen with WVGA resolution, oh and it titlts. The chip is also a "refined" MSM 72xx chip, not that that's saying much, but all reports thus far indicate that it's snappier than the Touch Pro 1.

Still, I'd prefer to get my hands on something like the Omnia II or the Toshiba TG01, but they are incompatible with Sprints CDMA network, and lack the 3G (EVDO Rev-A) bands Sprint uses.

So, I have to "settle", and I certainly wouldn't mind trading up to a TP2 if I could get one for up to $100 in addition to whatever my TP1 sells for. Anything more than that and it's simply not worth it to me, larger screen and resolution be damned.

What MS REALLY needs to do however is just throw a Radio (no, not HD Radio) inside the Zune HD and just call it a phone already.
That's what I really want, a Zune HD-esque phone with Tegra
Seems like I have to wait for WM7 for that to happen, or at least until 6.5.1 is official.
The Zune HD as a phone would be just epic. Though I'd want to run Palm's webOS on it