Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Other Discussions » [GenHardware] Networking [Archived]
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

[GenHardware] Networking [Archived] NICs, routers, switches, hubs, software and hardware firewalls, servers, server Operating Systems, wired or wireless LANs WANs and WiFi. If it's used to communicate between multiple computers or devices, it goes in here.

Old Feb 22, 2009, 05:57 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
sumpwa
Radeon Sea Islands

sumpwa is still being judged by the masses

Default How do I connect Windows Server 2008 to my existing Windows NT4 domain?

Reposting this for my dad. He still watches betamax tapes and build vacuum tube guitar amps, so don't laugh at me.

"Since the mid 90s I've had a network domain running first under Windows NT Server 3.51 and now under Windows NT Server 4.0. In that time I have routinely added workstations to this domain running NT Workstation 4.0, Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP Professional without a single problem.

This week I installed an evaluation copy of Windows Server 2008 I got from Microsofts web site on an available PC. Although I can ping my NT 4 Primary Domain Controller from the Windows 2008 PC (which is in the same room), every time I try to move the 2008 Server from the default WORKGROUP to my exisiting NT4 DOMAIN, I get a message saying something like "invalid ID or password".

I have tried creating new Admin IDs on my PDC and then using them on the 2008 machine to make the 2008 computer a member of the domain, and still no luck. All the while the 2008 computer can still ping the NT4 PDC, so this can't be a disconnected cable issue."
Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:15 PM   #2
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Probably has to do with the authentication protocols used, open up the local security policy manager (Adminstrative Tools - Local Security Policy) and look under Local Policies - Security Options and change the Network Security: LAN Manager Authentication Level to 'Send LM & NTLM - use NTLM v2. session if negotiated'.

I had to set this option on my Vista machines so they can talk to my Buffalo Terastation NAS.