Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Sep 5, 2014, 04:39 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
monkeydust
Radeon Arctic Islands

monkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default T-Mobile's devices offer more battery life than AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon

This is a shocker. There are some pretty big differences between the carriers. Never considered this a possibility.

T-Mobile's devices offer more battery life than AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon

We’ve seen countless battles and advertisements over who is the best wireless provider in the United States, but it looks like recent tests have revealed that T-Mobile might offer devices with the best battery life.

This is according to Laptop Mag's findings, as they tested four identical devices on four different carriers, using the exact same testing methods. The test involved a custom app that surfs 50 popular websites, pauses for 60 seconds on each page, and continues this behavior until the battery runs out. The smartphones tested are also tested with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and NFC turned off.

In every single test, T-Mobile reigned supreme. On some of the devices, T-Mobile provided up to two more hours of use when compared to its rivals. Just to make sure that it wasn't an isolated incident with the network, the test was performed in two different locations (New York/Jersey and Chicago, Illinois) and both instances yielded similar results.

Although there isn't a definitive answer as to why T-Mobile's devices performed better, the source does think that it has something to do with the band frequency used and the efficiency of the data transmission. Another possibility is T-Mobile's lack of bloatware compared to the other carriers' devices.

In the end, there isn’t a clear cut answer as to why the devices perform better, but in the test performed, they beat out the competition, which could influence your decision when shopping around for a new carrier.
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
Samsung EVO 1TB SSD
Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX case
Dell 2408WFP 24" Widescreen LCD
Windows 8.1 64-bit
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2014, 05:54 PM   #2
t3hl33td4rg0n
env x='() { :;};

t3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled with

There are problems with this testing method... Each carrier has different software on the phones. Put them all on the same firmware then try again, the results will likely be different.
Gaming Computer: Core i7 3770k | MSI Z77 MPOWER | MSI 1080 Twin Frozr | Acer Predator X34 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 PC2100 | Antec DF-85 | Cooler Master Silent Gold Pro 800W | 512GB Samsung 860 EVO | 4TB WDC Black | 4TB HGST
Server: Core i5 4670 | MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX AC | eVGA GTX980 | 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 1866 | Lian-Li V2120X | Corsair RM750 750W | 500GB SSD | 4x 4TB WDC Red
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2014, 06:50 PM   #3
ElBerryKM13
Radeon Evergreen

ElBerryKM13 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyElBerryKM13 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hl33td4rg0n View Post
There are problems with this testing method... Each carrier has different software on the phones. Put them all on the same firmware then try again, the results will likely be different.

Same phones same android version might have slight differences but not that big to affect battery life that much. Tmobile wins with all 4 phones with 4 different carriers. Can't get more conclusive than that.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 5, 2014, 07:39 PM   #4
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
It is a rudimentary test, but when you see the same thing happen in 2 locations with 4 different devices at each site, there is something to be said.

And if each carrier has different software, clearly the other 3 need to have better software.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2014, 08:04 PM   #5
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Actually, there is no problem with the testing method. That is the whole point of the 'study'.

My theory is that Tmobile's coverage is so shitty, that it uses less battery power to maintain the connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2014, 08:17 PM   #6
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
Actually, there is no problem with the testing method. That is the whole point of the 'study'.

My theory is that Tmobile's coverage is so shitty, that it uses less battery power to maintain the connection.
Shitty connections require more power.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2014, 08:43 PM   #7
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Shitty connections require more power.
I know. There is a deadzone in my work area. My phone drops dead in 4 hours. Now I leave it plugged in at my desk

Quote:
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 08:41 AM   #8
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Each carrier using different firmware is kind of the point; however, if they are in location where t-mobile has a better connection than the other carriers, then the other phones would need more power just to stay connected. They didn't say anything about all the phones have 5 bars or anything like that, so I am suspicious.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 08:45 AM   #9
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviphysics View Post
Each carrier using different firmware is kind of the point; however, if they are in location where t-mobile has a better connection than the other carriers, then the other phones would need more power just to stay connected. They didn't say anything about all the phones have 5 bars or anything like that, so I am suspicious.
They tested in NYC and Chicago, hard to think both places would have signal problems that would skew the results.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 10:48 AM   #10
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
They tested in NYC and Chicago, hard to think both places would have signal problems that would skew the results.
I would think that would depend on the locations they chose for testing. They didn't publish their testing methodology or the signal levels, so it is kind of hard to critically exam their method and results.

edit: just noticed that they are also a division of Tom's guide, which totally explains their sloppy article with lack of data etc. Pretty much any article associated with Tom's has less than 0 credibility in my book. BTW notice how they only reported reaching out to T-mobile. Maybe reaching out to one of the other companies might have helped clear up this mess.
http://blog.laptopmag.com/tmobile-ph...r-battery-life

Last edited by aviphysics : Sep 6, 2014 at 10:55 AM.
aviphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2014, 11:32 AM   #11
DeathKnight
Radeon Arctic Islands

DeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Subscriber

Quote:
Another possibility is T-Mobile's lack of bloatware compared to the other carriers' devices.
This is probably a big part of it.
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Fractal Design Celsius S24 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | 2 x 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 (14-14-14-34) B-Die | MSI GTX 1070Ti GAMING 8G | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair MP510 480GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Samusng 850 Evo 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | WD 640GB Black | Asus BW-12B1ST 12X Blu-ray Burner | Fractal Design Define R5 case | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU | Win 10 Pro | 1920x1080 w/ 48" LCD TV
HT: Vizio E48-C2 48" LED Backlit LCD TV | Onkyo TX-SR605 A/V receiver | JBL EC35 center | 2 JBL E30's (fronts, bi-amped) | 2 JBL N24II's (rears) | Homemade Sonosub w/Dayton 12" driver (extension to 14Hz), BASH 300w amp | Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player | Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player | Xbox 360
Camera Gear: Nikon D7000 DSLR | Nikon 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 VR | Nikon 50mm F1.8 G | Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro | Slik Pro 700DX tripod legs with Cullmann Magnesit 35Nm ballhead
DeathKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2014, 01:06 PM   #12
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviphysics View Post
I would think that would depend on the locations they chose for testing. They didn't publish their testing methodology or the signal levels, so it is kind of hard to critically exam their method and results.

edit: just noticed that they are also a division of Tom's guide, which totally explains their sloppy article with lack of data etc. Pretty much any article associated with Tom's has less than 0 credibility in my book. BTW notice how they only reported reaching out to T-mobile. Maybe reaching out to one of the other companies might have helped clear up this mess.
http://blog.laptopmag.com/tmobile-ph...r-battery-life
I agree, hence why I said "study". With a wink and a nod. One would think a popular site like Toms would know how to run an experiment. At least they could have limited their claims. " Tmobile has better battery life that the others on a sunday starting at 3 pm at this gps location with stock default apps loaded at startup running the latest available OS and firmware. " the only downside would be you need a 4K monitor just to read the headline

Quote:
Old Sep 6, 2014, 02:16 PM   #13
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
I agree, hence why I said "study". With a wink and a nod. One would think a popular site like Toms would know how to run an experiment. At least they could have limited their claims. " Tmobile has better battery life that the others on a sunday starting at 3 pm at this gps location with stock default apps loaded at startup running the latest available OS and firmware. " the only downside would be you need a 4K monitor just to read the headline
I have seen so many errors in graphs and text in Tom's articles, that I would just as easily assume that someone punched the numbers in wrong.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 03:53 PM   #14
kingofslackerz
busy doing nothin

kingofslackerz is still being judged by the masses

First thought that comes to mind is Modem/Radio configuration and amount of bloatware(services) possibly being the culprits of the battery cost.

As previously stated, I'd like to see this done with the all the devices on the most similar stock 4.4 roms. I suspect you'd probably see a more similar outcome.
kingofslackerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2014, 07:34 PM   #15
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Has nothing to do with bloatware. Its the network.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 10:37 PM   #16
kingofslackerz
busy doing nothin

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Has nothing to do with bloatware.
Look into things like Carrier IQ and it's effects. You might change your tune
Old Sep 6, 2014, 11:19 PM   #17
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofslackerz View Post
Look into things like Carrier IQ and it's effects. You might change your tune
Carrier IQ can be disabled on T-Mobile handsets within the settings.

But again, the battery life differences are due to modem/network differences.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 01:10 AM   #18
kingofslackerz
busy doing nothin

Quote:
Carrier IQ can be disabled on T-Mobile handsets within the settings.

But again, the battery life differences are due to modem/network differences.
And again, your wrong... (partially, I'm not discrediting the network in any manner)

To totally discount the different ROM configurations carriers implement is beyond ignorant.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 12:12 PM   #19
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofslackerz View Post
And again, your wrong... (partially, I'm not discrediting the network in any manner)

To totally discount the different ROM configurations carriers implement is beyond ignorant.
While that could be a partial reason its not the primary reason you see such a large performance difference. It primarily is due to the network, this is why if you do not have network enabled on the device you will see closer battery performance.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 09:21 PM   #20
kingofslackerz
busy doing nothin

Quote:
While that could be a partial reason its not the primary reason you see such a large performance difference. It primarily is due to the network, this is why if you do not have network enabled on the device you will see closer battery performance.
So if your so hard set that it's the "network" and not the phone configuration(combination modem/radio, rom, bloat), how would you explain the different between ATT and T-Mobile given they are both similar GSM networks.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:26 PM   #21
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

Different frequencies which put a different level of strain on the modem, AT&T for instant uses more LTE bands then T-Mobile.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 03:04 PM   #22
monkeydust
Radeon Arctic Islands

monkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete stranger

I switched to T-Mobile on Friday for my iPhone 4s and will switch the iPhone 6 when that comes in. My 4s is usually pretty much dead by the time I'm leaving work everyday. I'll see if there is any discernible difference in battery life for the next week on my 4s to see if there is any truth to this for iPhones as well.
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
Samsung EVO 1TB SSD
Windows 8.1 64-bit
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:23 PM   #23
monkeydust
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
I switched to T-Mobile on Friday for my iPhone 4s and will switch the iPhone 6 when that comes in. My 4s is usually pretty much dead by the time I'm leaving work everyday. I'll see if there is any discernible difference in battery life for the next week on my 4s to see if there is any truth to this for iPhones as well.
My phone died about halfway through the work day today. WTH?
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
Samsung EVO 1TB SSD
Windows 8.1 64-bit
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:33 PM   #24
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Correlation?
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:46 PM   #25
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
My phone died about halfway through the work day today. WTH?
Run this:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/batt...615987910?mt=8

Find out what's eating your battery.

Fwiw I have a note 3, daughter has an S5, wife has the 5C, all on T-Mo.

My wifes is the only one that doesn't last 1.5 days or better.

Now, if I enable location and BT, that kills my battery fast.
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2014, 05:36 PM   #26
monkeydust
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcwood View Post
Run this:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/batt...615987910?mt=8

Find out what's eating your battery.

Fwiw I have a note 3, daughter has an S5, wife has the 5C, all on T-Mo.

My wifes is the only one that doesn't last 1.5 days or better.

Now, if I enable location and BT, that kills my battery fast.
Thank you. Didn't realize they had apps like that (thought it had to be built into the OS).

Installing now. Will let you know the results.

Speaking of BT, I have been using some BT headphones with it lately. That could be the culprit.
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
Samsung EVO 1TB SSD
Windows 8.1 64-bit
Old Sep 15, 2014, 05:44 PM   #27
t3hl33td4rg0n
env x='() { :;};

t3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight View Post
This is probably a big part of it.
Agreed. I would like to see fresh battery stats at 100% and 5% to see whats going on.

Each of the phones modems would play into account here, and that can be shown in the bettery stats as well.
Gaming Computer: Core i7 3770k | MSI Z77 MPOWER | MSI 1080 Twin Frozr | Acer Predator X34 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 PC2100 | Antec DF-85 | Cooler Master Silent Gold Pro 800W | 512GB Samsung 860 EVO | 4TB WDC Black | 4TB HGST
Server: Core i5 4670 | MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX AC | eVGA GTX980 | 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 1866 | Lian-Li V2120X | Corsair RM750 750W | 500GB SSD | 4x 4TB WDC Red
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote