Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Aug 25, 2014, 04:53 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Default Android folks: Has anyone who used to root stopped?

My Z1s didn't have root for a long time, but I quickly found I didn't miss it. Android is to a point now where I just don't feel the need. When root came out for my phone before the 4.4.4 update hit I applied it, but didn't really use it, and it actually got in the way of me using ISIS Mobile Wallet, had to hide root. So when the 4.4.4 update hit and I lost root, I didn't even bother re-rooting. Don't need it.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2014, 04:58 PM   #2
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

What's your backup process like now?

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2014, 04:59 PM   #3
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Yup

Didn't have root on my personal G3 til I needed tethering which I can't do with my grandfathered unlimited plan.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 25, 2014, 05:05 PM   #4
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
What's your backup process like now?
There's nothing important on my phone that can't be backed up to Dropbox. I don't really use all that many apps beyond Google services even.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 05:07 PM   #5
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Yup

Didn't have root on my personal G3 til I needed tethering which I can't do with my grandfathered unlimited plan.
I use PDANet+ on my Z1s for USB tethering, works perfectly without needing root. Just disable the user agent on my PC so TMobile never detects the tethering.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 05:14 PM   #6
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
There's nothing important on my phone that can't be backed up to Dropbox. I don't really use all that many apps beyond Google services even.
For me, it's the time-saving in case I do need to reinstall. I don't have anything super critical on my phone either, but reinstalling everything and setting it up how I want takes forever. Having root and backup solution helps.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Aug 25, 2014, 05:15 PM   #7
Elysian
SCAATSJW

I haven't messed with custom roms since my GS4, and have had 0 issues with my Z1s needing a reinstall, so it's not something I've been concerned with at all.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 05:18 PM   #8
Zero
Sass hole

Knock on wood then.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Aug 25, 2014, 06:00 PM   #9
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
I use PDANet+ on my Z1s for USB tethering, works perfectly without needing root. Just disable the user agent on my PC so TMobile never detects the tethering.
I need WiFi Tether on the road so PDANet wouldn't work for me.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 06:08 PM   #10
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
I need WiFi Tether on the road so PDANet wouldn't work for me.
I can WiFi (and BT) tether with it, just manually disable user agent on my PC via a Chrome plugin.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 07:26 AM   #11
ViN86
Drinking your milkshake

ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I still root, mainly because it's a Nexus and it's very easy to do so, and I really like Titanium Backup Pro for my backups.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 02:48 PM   #12
night
Radeon Arctic Islands

night can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynight can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

My G2 is rooted mostly so I could bluetooth a PS3 control. Plus a couple other specialized things like "ok google" for home automation. Also put Xposed on it but i dun really think its that big a deal. Although it was a pita with the Tmo G2.

I don't understand y'alls tether thing. I've done nothing to mine and frequently use my phone as a wi-fi spot to play Hearthstone on the laptop. It does an 'account check' and turns on.

Also have two 2012 7's and those are rooted for backup to have them perfectly mirrored, the PS3 controls, and a feeble attempt to get usb otg working. (I really want docks for them too, great home automation use)
Old Aug 27, 2014, 02:53 PM   #13
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by night View Post
My G2 is rooted mostly so I could bluetooth a PS3 control. Plus a couple other specialized things like "ok google" for home automation. Also put Xposed on it but i dun really think its that big a deal. Although it was a pita with the Tmo G2.

I don't understand y'alls tether thing. I've done nothing to mine and frequently use my phone as a wi-fi spot to play Hearthstone on the laptop. It does an 'account check' and turns on.

Also have two 2012 7's and those are rooted for backup to have them perfectly mirrored, the PS3 controls, and a feeble attempt to get usb otg working. (I really want docks for them too, great home automation use)
If you have limited data you can use tether however you like. I have unlimited data...
Old Aug 27, 2014, 02:57 PM   #14
night
Radeon Arctic Islands

night can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynight can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I have their basic 1gig which is then throttled but unlimited. Got it with the G2 in Nov.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 07:54 PM   #15
t3hl33td4rg0n
env x='() { :;};

t3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled with

As I prefer AOSP ROM's, I still root, custom recovery/kernel/ROM. The ROM's that are out there are have a lot of customization that is not available on the factory ROM's. Om top of that the factory images have so much extra crap that can't be removed, so I take that route. Some of the custom TW based ROM's are really nice too though.
Gaming Computer: Core i7 3770k | MSI Z77 MPOWER | MSI 1080 Twin Frozr | Acer Predator X34 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 PC2100 | Antec DF-85 | Cooler Master Silent Gold Pro 800W | 512GB Samsung 860 EVO | 4TB WDC Black | 4TB HGST
Server: Core i5 4670 | MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX AC | eVGA GTX980 | 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 1866 | Lian-Li V2120X | Corsair RM750 750W | 500GB SSD | 4x 4TB WDC Red
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2014, 09:39 PM   #16
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hl33td4rg0n View Post
As I prefer AOSP ROM's, I still root, custom recovery/kernel/ROM. The ROM's that are out there are have a lot of customization that is not available on the factory ROM's. Om top of that the factory images have so much extra crap that can't be removed, so I take that route. Some of the custom TW based ROM's are really nice too though.
I've been spoiled by Sony's implementation of Android. It's not too customized, but highly customizable, if that makes sense. It's like a lightly customized vanilla with a lot of the user customizability that you find in roms.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 02:18 AM   #17
t3hl33td4rg0n
env x='() { :;};

t3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
I've been spoiled by Sony's implementation of Android. It's not too customized, but highly customizable, if that makes sense. It's like a lightly customized vanilla with a lot of the user customizability that you find in roms.
Yeah some vendors are better than others for sure. I used Sony's Timescape UI which wasn't too bad, HTC's sense I can live with, but I just don't like the flow of Touchwiz. The TW default settings are just retarded, everything is organized funky, and all the extra junk Samsung puts on their phones; while much of it you cant remove without using 3rd party tools.

On top of that, I don't like waiting for software upgrades. If you encounter a software bug, you will either be waiting months until an update is released or your device is arbitrarily called EOL. Even my first smartphone (sony xperia X10 mini pro) that came out in 2010 has KK available for it, which was officially only supported to 2.3, same as my 2nd smartphone (mytouch 4g slide) only got 2.3 but I could load KK on it.

It's shitty that we cant just choose what UI we want without going through a bunch of hoops and often voiding warranties. There are so many options out there.
Gaming Computer: Core i7 3770k | MSI Z77 MPOWER | MSI 1080 Twin Frozr | Acer Predator X34 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 PC2100 | Antec DF-85 | Cooler Master Silent Gold Pro 800W | 512GB Samsung 860 EVO | 4TB WDC Black | 4TB HGST
Server: Core i5 4670 | MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX AC | eVGA GTX980 | 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 1866 | Lian-Li V2120X | Corsair RM750 750W | 500GB SSD | 4x 4TB WDC Red
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2014, 02:54 PM   #18
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

somewon is still being judged by the masses

Tethering and being able to use the entire file system is more than enough reason for me to root.

Plus, there are a lot of other cool tricks and apps you can use that would otherwise be forfeited if you go without rooting.
somewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2014, 07:43 PM   #19
DigitalDemon
Flaccid Flexor

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

Roooooot

I can't live without my App Ops, AdFree, Tasker and firewall. Removing bloatware is a big plus as well, since I loathe seeing the play store update apps list for apps I never use and cannot uninstall.
DigitalDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2014, 09:06 PM   #20
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDemon View Post
Roooooot

I can't live without my App Ops, AdFree, Tasker and firewall. Removing bloatware is a big plus as well, since I loathe seeing the play store update apps list for apps I never use and cannot uninstall.
I can disable any apps I want without root.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 02:22 AM   #21
DigitalDemon
Flaccid Flexor

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

Quote:
I can disable any apps I want without root.
Yeah you can disable them, but they are still there, sitting.. waiting.. it's an ocd thing. It drives me mad when I have the stock camera app and the google camera sitting next to each other in the app drawer. I know you can hide them, but I know they are still there...
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:08 PM   #22
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
My Z1s didn't have root for a long time, but I quickly found I didn't miss it. Android is to a point now where I just don't feel the need. When root came out for my phone before the 4.4.4 update hit I applied it, but didn't really use it, and it actually got in the way of me using ISIS Mobile Wallet, had to hide root. So when the 4.4.4 update hit and I lost root, I didn't even bother re-rooting. Don't need it.
Yes, I was pretty big into rooting on everything HTC Evo 3D, and prior. Once I got my HTC One, that's when it stopped. There wasn't any real noticeable need for me. None that I missed anyways outside maybe better battery life. Note, 2, and Note 3, I did not as well. However. Now with the nexus 5, I am considering it. But after a few quick dives in, I'm quickly seeing there isn't much point.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2014, 07:31 AM   #23
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
Yes, I was pretty big into rooting on everything HTC Evo 3D, and prior. Once I got my HTC One, that's when it stopped. There wasn't any real noticeable need for me. None that I missed anyways outside maybe better battery life. Note, 2, and Note 3, I did not as well. However. Now with the nexus 5, I am considering it. But after a few quick dives in, I'm quickly seeing there isn't much point.
I don't understand how you stand all the factory installed bullshit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2014, 09:35 AM   #24
Idle Wild
Up and away!

Idle Wild can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyIdle Wild can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

and here's me thinking the Z1 is the worst android phone I've ever owned.

The white balance is totally off, their applications have been riddled with bugs. The whole concept of being able to take a photograph almost instantly using the camera button stopped working once 4.3 was introduced.

The phone is generally laggy when waking from locked screen and I often have to reboot it for one reason or another.

Within six months; The charger cover fell off, the bezel around the power button came away, the gauze over the speaker at the base of the phone fell off and the hands free/headphone port only gives audio output on a single channel.

If I try to use it on my shoulder without any hands, the proximity sensor usually fails to deactivate the screen and I hang up on people _all_ the time.

Would not buy Sony again.
Idle Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2014, 02:18 PM   #25
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
I don't understand how you stand all the factory installed bullshit.
Some of it i like. Like for data or account usage. And most of the other stuff at least for Samsung can be disabled. The nexus however does not have any of it.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2014, 02:43 PM   #26
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
Some of it i like. Like for data or account usage. And most of the other stuff at least for Samsung can be disabled. The nexus however does not have any of it.
wy would you consider rooting the nexus though?
If anything you'd root the others to get rid of the bloatware that the nexus doesn't have.....
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2014, 12:20 AM   #27
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle Wild View Post
and here's me thinking the Z1 is the worst android phone I've ever owned.

The white balance is totally off, their applications have been riddled with bugs. The whole concept of being able to take a photograph almost instantly using the camera button stopped working once 4.3 was introduced.

The phone is generally laggy when waking from locked screen and I often have to reboot it for one reason or another.

Within six months; The charger cover fell off, the bezel around the power button came away, the gauze over the speaker at the base of the phone fell off and the hands free/headphone port only gives audio output on a single channel.

If I try to use it on my shoulder without any hands, the proximity sensor usually fails to deactivate the screen and I hang up on people _all_ the time.

Would not buy Sony again.
The Z1 does have a bad screen. The Z1s is a different screen. I have no lag issues at all, and my camera button has worked perfectly since I got the phone. Currently on 4.4.4 and couldn't be happier. All my covers are still in tact. It's honestly the best Android phone I've ever owned.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 02:12 AM   #28
DigitalDemon
Flaccid Flexor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
wy would you consider rooting the nexus though?
If anything you'd root the others to get rid of the bloatware that the nexus doesn't have.....
Customization. I hated the light theme dialer/contacts with the kitkat update. A simple flash and I am back to a dark theme, without having another dialer and contact app. There is also some advanced automation that requires root to do stuff.

Privacy. I would really like to use some apps, but some of their permission requests are unreasonable. I would like to use Facebook without it being able to harvest absolutely everything on my phone. App Ops takes care of that, it also takes care of the multiple apps needlessly trying to wake my device constantly. My battery life is phenomenal. It's great when my 2 year old Note II is at 85% battery at 11pm as I type this.

Ads. I hate ads. It's kind of a dick move to free app devs, but when paid apps still pull this ****, you gotta put your foot down.

Firewall. Many apps have no business connecting to the internet, especially when it's sole purpose is to transmit harvested data. A firewall basically lets me simulate airplane mode on a per app basis.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 03:42 PM   #29
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I rooted my Droid X.

Didn't bother with my GS3
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2014, 04:14 PM   #30
Tyler582
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Tyler582 is still being judged by the masses

I had my GS3 rooted as my first android phone but it had issues with bogging down and I needed to kill apps and whatnot. Note3 and GS5 were my next phones. Both fast and great battery so I see no need. Plus, I'm lazy. That ad blocking app I miss from time to time.
ASUS UL30-VT A1 13.3" Notebook w/64GB SSD
Tyler582 is offline   Reply With Quote