Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Dec 12, 2017, 03:06 PM   #1261
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
CyanBlues
Radeon Northern Islands

CyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

fallout 4 vr is pretty damn nice, I'm so glad I haven't touched fall out 4 at all. Looks like a lot of mods are working too.

Last edited by CyanBlues : Dec 13, 2017 at 08:58 AM.
CyanBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2017, 06:46 PM   #1262
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanBlues View Post
fallout 4 vr is pretty damn nice, I'm so glad I haven't touched fall out 4 at all. Looks like a lot of mods are working too.
how is it working with oculus ?
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2017, 04:04 PM   #1263
CyanBlues
Radeon Northern Islands

CyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
how is it working with oculus ?
no idea since i have a vive, but so far the touch controller isn't supported well.
There's a thread on reddit for a semi fix
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comm...fix_for_fo4vr/
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 14, 2017, 04:41 PM   #1264
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

t0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I know I really want to play FO4VR, and the Vive is actually at a decent price, $599 with a $100 gift card, but man those controlelrs look like such a downgrade from the Rift touch controllers I cant bring myself to hit buy. I think I will wait for a rift patch or for knuckles.
t0adp1p3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:08 AM   #1265
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I stupidly bought an Oculus Rift like 4 months ago to see how it compared to the Vive, but never had a chance to set it up (stupidly because I could have got it cheaper on a Black Friday sale if I'd realized I wouldn't get around to using it until now).

First impression is that it seems lighter than the Vive with DAS, but sort of feels more flimsy. The face seal seems kind of uncomfortable compared to the Vive (it has strangely sharp edges in the foam instead of being more rounded or cushioned). If I decide to keep it, I might need to look into getting a better foam/gasket for it, as I find the stock Rift one digs into my face in an uncomfortable way. Maybe I'll end up getting used to it though.

The cord on the rift is also definitely slimmer and lighter than the Vive, since it doesn't need the extra power cord. Of course the trade-off is it's shorter and doesn't include the breakout box which makes it less good for use in a larger room. Since I'm using it at my main computer right now, I don't need a whole lot of cord length.

The strap system for the Rift clearly is better than the stock Vive (non-DAS), which sucked. I think the attachment system of the DAS might be better (twist knob in back), but then again you're paying a lot more for it. Even with DAS the Rift is still lighter, which is more comfortable in some respects. Prior to installing my TPCast battery as a counterweight the Vive pushed downward on my nose a lot, and that doesn't happen with the Rift.

In terms of the HMD, FOV is clearly narrower than Vive. SDE might be slightly less than Vive but that could be my imagination--I'd need to do more of a one to one comparison to tell. I'd say they're pretty close to identical in terms of overall image quality, with just slight tweaks either way.

I can see things both ways with the cameras vs the lighthouses. On the one hand, setting up the cameras is kind of more obnoxious with having to run a USB cable to all of them. On the other hand, not having to attach them to the wall, but just placing them on the desk is a bit less troublesome. It feels like a good system for a small play area, like in front of a computer desk. The third camera could still be a problem in that case, but the two front cameras shouldn't be. In a large room if you have to run a 20-40 foot USB cable (if you have to run around the edge of the room), I'd have to give the edge to the lighthouses in terms of setup. I think lighthouses are a bit more of an elegant system, but the cameras do work.

Room setup was definitely worse with the Oculus system compared to Steam VR. It wasn't that hard, but I still "failed" a couple of times. I don't know if that's due to the technology of the Rift or just a poorer software implementation.

Touch controllers I am sort of ambivalent about. I think their capabilities are pretty awesome, but the problem is they're really too small for my hands. If I hold them naturally my index finger reaches all the way around and touches the outer ring of the controller. I can shift it around in my palm, but then my thumb is almost sticking off the top of the controller, so I can't really use it in that position. Even the controller handle feels oddly short in my hand. While it still more or less works for me, it's awkward and if my hands were even slightly larger it wouldn't work at all. I wish they had made the controllers a bit larger than they did.

Overall just based on my short test I think I'd give the slight edge to the Vive, especially with the DAS. The system is just a bit more elegant. The problem is the Vive costs $150 more stock (including third sensor for the Rift) and $250 more if you include the DAS--and I feel like the DAS is almost mandatory. Unless you're planning to have a really large play space, it's hard for me to say the Vive is worth so much extra money. At a minimum, I think HTC needs to include the DAS with the Vive in order to make it a better value.

One uncertainty is how well the TPCast will attach to the RIFT and what that does to comfort. The TPCast isn't really too noticeable with the DAS, and the battery can be attached to the back of the headset, which actually improves the comfort since it serves as a counterweight. However, on the RIFT the weighting is different and that might not work as well. Also the top strap on the RIFT is very slim and doesn't have any padding, so the TPCast unit might dig into the top of your head uncomfortably.

At this point in time I'd say that if you're going for a large room setup, or money is no object and you want the absolute best setup, then the Vive + DAS + TPCast is the way to go. But if you're setting up in even a standard (bedroom size) room then it's hard to argue with the lower cost of the Rift, which also includes a decent strap/headphones straight out of the box. Although I would suggest the third sensor for full room scale games. (If you have large hands you might want to also try out the Touch controllers before buying. I'm not sure the controllers would be a deal breaker for me, but they're definitely smaller than is ideal for me.)
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2017, 08:37 AM   #1266
Nagorak

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

After playing around a bit more I'd say that the Touch controllers are better than the Vive wands, despite being a bit too small for me.

However, front facing only setup is garbage. It's just totally awkward, even in games that try to account for it, like Robo Recall. I'm definitely going to order the third camera. I might even try four cameras in my normal 3x4m VR space to see how it compares to the Vive.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 08:39 AM   #1267
Omega53
Rage veteran

Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
After playing around a bit more I'd say that the Touch controllers are better than the Vive wands, despite being a bit too small for me.

However, front facing only setup is garbage. It's just totally awkward, even in games that try to account for it, like Robo Recall. I'm definitely going to order the third camera. I might even try four cameras in my normal 3x4m VR space to see how it compares to the Vive.
I have 4 cameras and its amazing. No loss of coverage at all
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2017, 02:49 PM   #1268
CyanBlues
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0adp1p3 View Post
I know I really want to play FO4VR, and the Vive is actually at a decent price, $599 with a $100 gift card, but man those controlelrs look like such a downgrade from the Rift touch controllers I cant bring myself to hit buy. I think I will wait for a rift patch or for knuckles.
since you already have a rift, no point in buying a vive since they're pretty close, just wait for a patch
Old Dec 15, 2017, 04:35 PM   #1269
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

t0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanBlues View Post
since you already have a rift, no point in buying a vive since they're pretty close, just wait for a patch
Yeah you are right. It is kind of a waste to buy another one right now. I'll just wait til next gen. Just hard to see all the vive exclusive games right now.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 07:25 PM   #1270
Nagorak

Yeah they're honestly pretty close. I was just curious to try the Rift, but having done so I feel they're pretty much functionally identical. Even where one is better than the other, it's only a small difference, not something that makes or breaks the system. If you already own one or the other, there's no real point buying the competing HMD unless you have money to burn.

I know I already wrote a long post above, but here's a shorter summary of how I'd describe the differences between the HMDs:

Tracking System: Slight edge to Vive.
Lighthouses is a better system, and it was clearly designed for room scale from the start. The Oculus camera system can do it, but it's less optimal, requiring a lot more cameras/wires. However, it seems to me that the camera system could be improved by using cameras with larger FOVs and greater resolution, so that each camera had greater coverage. Two upgraded cameras in each corner of a room might be able to work as well as the lighthouses--it's hard to say. (I do think it's unfortunate that Oculus is pushing for a front facing only setup though, because that really is not intuitive in VR. Once you're standing and using motion controls it's natural to want to turn around.)

Motion Controllers: Slight edge to Rift.
The Touch controllers are capable of more things, like detecting finger position, and their grip buttons are way better than the ones on the Vive wands. Also after using the Touch controllers the Vive wands feel kind of ridiculously big and bulky. But in the end, functionally they do basically the same thing.

HMD Display: Slight edge to Vive.
Personal preference probably plays a role in this, but I like the greater FOV of the Vive and the less prominent godrays. It's not a huge difference, but it's enough to throw it slightly to the Vive in my opinion.

Comfort: Slight edge to Rift.
The Rift weighs slightly less than the Vive and is less front heavy. It stays stable on your head even when looking down, something that I had major problems with the stock Vive (the thing nearly fell off my head, and I had to keep readjusting it). I found the Rift foam uncomfortable at first, but it seems to be getting better now that I'm getting used to it. With the DAS, the Vive's attachment system becomes better than the Rift, but it remains more front heavy. Also, even if you were to give the edge to the Vive + DAS the fact that you have to pay $100 more for the ****ing DAS still gives the edge to the Rift.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:23 PM   #1271
Nagorak

Just a heads up, the Vive is on sale for $500 at the Microsoft Store, and the TP Cast is $250.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 09:14 AM   #1272
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

It was $500 with the better headphone thingy and a $100 gift card the other day on amazon.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:55 AM   #1273
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

EVE Valkyrie or Elite D. Which is the better game for space combat in the VR space? I don't want to be running around, just sitting and killing shite.

Tell me what it is. MP is fine as well.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2017, 09:34 AM   #1274
CyanBlues
Radeon Northern Islands

Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:58 PM   #1275
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Default Oculus Rift + Touch $379

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2017, 01:16 PM   #1276
delirium121
Radeon Southern Islands

delirium121 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydelirium121 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
EVE Valkyrie or Elite D. Which is the better game for space combat in the VR space? I don't want to be running around, just sitting and killing shite.

Tell me what it is. MP is fine as well.
Eve is space combat, with multiple enemies an excellent maps, doesn't include Newtonian physics

Elite is space sim, in the rare event you face multiple enemies, your life expectancy will be seconds.

Eve gets my thumbs up, due to having sunk a lot of hours into game.
(not to mention its cross platform & cross reality & the user base are actually pretty good, mics are normally off).
BEWARE!.. the lemon wheels
delirium121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2017, 04:56 PM   #1277
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Yeah I want an arcade fighter so I may pick up EVE as it is only 15.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2017, 10:50 AM   #1278
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Rift under the tree. I have adr1ft already and will pick up the star trek vr game on sale.

yoz
Old Dec 23, 2017, 12:52 PM   #1279
CyanBlues
Radeon Northern Islands

https://clips.twitch.tv/CrackyDullLemurCurseLit

Mirelurk Boxing League in Fall Out 4 VR
Old Dec 23, 2017, 01:43 PM   #1280
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Fallout 4 VR and Skyrim VR makes buying a vr headset mighty tempting.

Can you play those with a regular controller too or are they one of those fancy room-scale motion control games?

And yes, I know skyrim vr is currently ps4 only, but I imagine that won't be the case for long.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2017, 02:47 PM   #1281
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Rift under the tree. I have adr1ft already and will pick up the star trek vr game on sale.
Lone Echo son! grats btw, VR is awesome.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 03:55 PM   #1282
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Lone Echo son! grats btw, VR is awesome.
That may be next on list. Keep suggestions coming.

yoz
Old Dec 23, 2017, 07:17 PM   #1283
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Well first thing you want to do after setting it all up is get oculus tray tool. It will allow you to tweak things like super sampling, disable USB suspend, start and stop the oculus service, etc... It really is a must.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/communit...s-hopefully/p1

Some good VR experiences are:

First do not sleep on Robo Recall, it's legit and free with the touch controllers.

In fact try all the Free stuff, a lot of it is pretty cool.

non free:

Lone Echo: light puzzles, walking simulator, some shooting all set on a space station/in space with the best use of the touch controllers yet. The most AAA built from the ground up VR game so far, production values (graphics/voice acting) and controls are top notch.

Mages Tale: A lite RPG/Old school dungeon puzzler/crawler . Its pretty sweet. It's by the guys who did torment, wasteland 2, Bards Tale. Heavy on puzzles that give you that holy crap I'm in one of those old school dungeon games moments.

Art1kA1: a decent shooter where you have node based movement. People knock it because it doesnt have full locomotion, but it really does have some good shooting in it, and it has some decent production values. Plus with node based movement you wont get sick. It's by the Metro Devs, but not at that level of production value. Like jjayb says below me, it is good, probably one of the better VR shooters. I know I just finished it, and enjoyed it alot. The guns feel bad ass.

Superhot: its superhot, its pretty darn cool,and really, really fun but really short.

Arizona Sunshine: Free movement zombie FPS, a little janky, but still fun. Actually a lot janky.

Talos Principle: Have you played this in 2D? If not its good in VR. They really give you a wealth of VR options, it isn't just tacked on, but if you already solved the puzzles, I am not sure how youd feel about doing them again.

Eleven Table Tennis: If you like ping pong, well its a spot on version of it. Pick it up when it is cheap, its fun.

If you have Doom BFG, well get the Doom 3 Fully Possessed Mod, you can play the game in VR with really not many compromises. You can put guns in holsters or on your back, use voice commands, etc... Its actually better than some of the paid for VR. Info here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Cgwes2c_KK4

Also if your stomach is strong, get MotherVR Alien Isolation VR mod. ITs pretty incredible, but man you have to have VR legs. Might actually be worth getting sick for a bit just to experience that ship lol.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comm...lation_vr_mod/

Dead Effect 2 VR is decent as a janky FPS. If you find it on sale on steam pick it up.

I didn't like Killing Floor Incursion: controls were super bad imo. Some people like it though. Its a FPS.

Serious Sam games are done decently in VR, but they are pretty muich just serious sam games just like you remember. The last hope one is a wave shooter though.

Onward is pretty much CS if you are into competitive MP, I'd recommend getting some kind of homemade gunstock to be decent at it. There is Pavlov also. I have both, but honestly havent played much of either.

Elite Dangerous:The VR implementation is super good, but man you have to be into this sort of game. Pair it with Voice attack and a HCS voice pack and it legit feels like you are playing something from the future.

X Rebirth VR Edition: its another space simulator, if you are into these things. The NPC's look pretty wack, and the inside of the ship is not as impressive as Elite, but it seems more accessible to me.

Last edited by t0adp1p3 : Dec 23, 2017 at 07:32 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 07:21 PM   #1284
jjjayb
Rage3D Veteran

jjjayb can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjjjayb can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Arktika.1 Easily my favorite shooter in VR.
Intel i7 7700k @ 5.0Ghz, ASUS Z270-Extreme4, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2, 16GB EVGA DDR4-3200 Ram, Asus VG278 120hz monitor x 3, Corsair Hydro H60 water cooler, Creative SoundBlaster ZX, 2 x 500gb Samsung Evo 960 M.2 SSD, OCZ ZT 750W PSU, Cooler Master Maker 5 Case, Windows 10
jjjayb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2017, 09:03 PM   #1285
Nagorak

Robo Recall was good, but in a way it left me feeling disappointed because I felt it could have been so much more. It was a good base for a game, but it was asking for some more depth and length. Also, no co-op... Wtf?!! The game was practically begging for a co-op mode!

Other than what's been mentioned so far, I'd suggest:

The Assembly: Basically sort of a puzzle/story game, but I thought it was pretty interesting. About 5 hours long or so.

Space Pirate Trainer: It's nothing but a wave shooter, but it's a ****ing blast. The guys behind it really hit on some great mechanics that keep you coming back to blast more droids. It's kind of like being in a Star Wars shooting range.

Raw Data: Game play is sort of a wave shooter, but later levels they managed to move away from just being stuck in one area. In a way, I feel like the game hasn't aged that well (at one time it was among the best VR games available), but still I think it's worth playing.

Also Artika.1 is on sale right now in the Oculus store.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 07:16 AM   #1286
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

From Other Suns, is 50% off on amazon (so $19.99) supposed to be a really good game.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 09:50 AM   #1287
Nagorak

Quote:
From Other Suns, is 50% off on amazon (so $19.99) supposed to be a really good game.

I was waiting for this one!

But, this is one of those times when Oculus exclusives really piss me off. I'd like to play with friends but they're all on Vives. So it's hoping that Revive works with it. Just lame.

The whole exclusives thing really sucks ass for players. And that goes for SteamVR games (Doom, FO4) that aren't properly tweaked for Touch controllers too.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 10:24 AM   #1288
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
I was waiting for this one!

But, this is one of those times when Oculus exclusives really piss me off. I'd like to play with friends but they're all on Vives. So it's hoping that Revive works with it. Just lame.

The whole exclusives thing really sucks ass for players. And that goes for SteamVR games (Doom, FO4) that aren't properly tweaked for Touch controllers too.

i agree man, the exclusives are really dumb. I don't understand it, but I guess that is why I am not a tech billionaire.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 12:45 PM   #1289
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Well first thing you want to do after setting it all up is get oculus tray tool. It will allow you to tweak things like super sampling, disable USB suspend, start and stop the oculus service, etc... It really is a must.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/communit...s-hopefully/p1

Some good VR experiences are:

First do not sleep on Robo Recall, it's legit and free with the touch controllers.

In fact try all the Free stuff, a lot of it is pretty cool.

non free:

Lone Echo: light puzzles, walking simulator, some shooting all set on a space station/in space with the best use of the touch controllers yet. The most AAA built from the ground up VR game so far, production values (graphics/voice acting) and controls are top notch.

Mages Tale: A lite RPG/Old school dungeon puzzler/crawler . Its pretty sweet. It's by the guys who did torment, wasteland 2, Bards Tale. Heavy on puzzles that give you that holy crap I'm in one of those old school dungeon games moments.

Art1kA1: a decent shooter where you have node based movement. People knock it because it doesnt have full locomotion, but it really does have some good shooting in it, and it has some decent production values. Plus with node based movement you wont get sick. It's by the Metro Devs, but not at that level of production value. Like jjayb says below me, it is good, probably one of the better VR shooters. I know I just finished it, and enjoyed it alot. The guns feel bad ass.

Superhot: its superhot, its pretty darn cool,and really, really fun but really short.

Arizona Sunshine: Free movement zombie FPS, a little janky, but still fun. Actually a lot janky.

Talos Principle: Have you played this in 2D? If not its good in VR. They really give you a wealth of VR options, it isn't just tacked on, but if you already solved the puzzles, I am not sure how youd feel about doing them again.

Eleven Table Tennis: If you like ping pong, well its a spot on version of it. Pick it up when it is cheap, its fun.

If you have Doom BFG, well get the Doom 3 Fully Possessed Mod, you can play the game in VR with really not many compromises. You can put guns in holsters or on your back, use voice commands, etc... Its actually better than some of the paid for VR. Info here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Cgwes2c_KK4

Also if your stomach is strong, get MotherVR Alien Isolation VR mod. ITs pretty incredible, but man you have to have VR legs. Might actually be worth getting sick for a bit just to experience that ship lol.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comm...lation_vr_mod/

Dead Effect 2 VR is decent as a janky FPS. If you find it on sale on steam pick it up.

I didn't like Killing Floor Incursion: controls were super bad imo. Some people like it though. Its a FPS.

Serious Sam games are done decently in VR, but they are pretty muich just serious sam games just like you remember. The last hope one is a wave shooter though.

Onward is pretty much CS if you are into competitive MP, I'd recommend getting some kind of homemade gunstock to be decent at it. There is Pavlov also. I have both, but honestly havent played much of either.

Elite Dangerous:The VR implementation is super good, but man you have to be into this sort of game. Pair it with Voice attack and a HCS voice pack and it legit feels like you are playing something from the future.

X Rebirth VR Edition: its another space simulator, if you are into these things. The NPC's look pretty wack, and the inside of the ship is not as impressive as Elite, but it seems more accessible to me.
Quote:
Robo Recall was good, but in a way it left me feeling disappointed because I felt it could have been so much more. It was a good base for a game, but it was asking for some more depth and length. Also, no co-op... Wtf?!! The game was practically begging for a co-op mode!

Other than what's been mentioned so far, I'd suggest:

The Assembly: Basically sort of a puzzle/story game, but I thought it was pretty interesting. About 5 hours long or so.

Space Pirate Trainer: It's nothing but a wave shooter, but it's a ****ing blast. The guys behind it really hit on some great mechanics that keep you coming back to blast more droids. It's kind of like being in a Star Wars shooting range.

Raw Data: Game play is sort of a wave shooter, but later levels they managed to move away from just being stuck in one area. In a way, I feel like the game hasn't aged that well (at one time it was among the best VR games available), but still I think it's worth playing.

Also Artika.1 is on sale right now in the Oculus store.
Thanks for the tips/suggestions. +rep

yoz
Old Dec 24, 2017, 05:31 PM   #1290
delirium121
Radeon Southern Islands

delirium121 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydelirium121 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
lone echo is free to rift user at the moment, just saying.
& from other suns is currently on a flash sale on the oculus store.
BEWARE!.. the lemon wheels
delirium121 is offline   Reply With Quote