Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

View Poll Results: nVidia or AMD
RTX 30 series 24 66.67%
AMD 6000 series 7 19.44%
Previous gen nVidia with no plans to upgrade 0 0%
Previous gen AMD with no plans to upgrade 3 8.33%
Not interested in this gen and waiting for new gen 2 5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 20, 2020, 05:34 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Default nVidia vs AMD. Which brand did you/are you going to choose?

Simple question. Post reasons for why you prefer a brand. No need to go in circular arguments.

For me personally here are the reasons for choosing nVidia.

1) mature drivers / day one drivers
2) availability and first to market
3) great price (unlike 2000 series) and only 50-100 more expensive (depending on AIB)
4) gsync range
5) RTX performance
6) larger group of games that support nVidia branding
7) free games with cards

Reason for not choosing AMD would be opposite of above. Let’s keep it civil in here. Zealots can already talk about whatever garbage circular reasoning they want to talk about in dedicated threads.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2020, 05:48 AM   #2
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

GSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird sings

I'm buying the first available 3070Ti, 3080, 6800 or 6800xt at MSRP.
If magically all become available simultaneously I'd go nVidia. I think puzzle games(Portal3, Talos2) are going to be glorious with [email protected] Ampere looks to be slightly better @4K and far superior with RT.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 06:22 AM   #3
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Might be better asking this question in a couple of months as current availabilty makes it rather pointless. I think most people interested in upgrading will buy the first brand available which doesn't necessarily mean its the one they really wanted.
Ryzen 7 2700, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, Sapphire Pulse 5700XT, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, Acer XF270HU freesync monitor at 1440p and 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 20, 2020, 07:21 AM   #4
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

AMD has a winning product with Radeon 6000 series but I'm a graphics whore and RT is a good part of that. For that reason and DLSS, which AMD will get, I went nV 3080.

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2020, 02:03 PM   #5
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

I think the extra features of the 30 series gives it the edge at this point in time.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2020, 02:49 PM   #6
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

I was game for whichever I could get to checkout first.
RTX 3070 won. Which is OK, because their DLSS is getting support faster.

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
:heart: I took a few weeks off, but Rage is like a home away from home.
A2597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2020, 04:12 PM   #7
the_sextein
Radeon Northern Islands

the_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird sings

I'm locked into Nvidia cards because of IRAY and cuda support for 3D rendering, animation and video editing.

Another main reason for me would be that it came out first and the time between card launches is more than double what I'm used to.

I also figured that Nvidia would be ahead in real time raytracing because they jumped into it first and have spent more time and money on it. RTX is pretty much light and shadow quality which make up a huge portion of the realism in modern games.

Other reasons would be reliable drivers weather I'm using daz studio or using SLI on the latest games the stability and support seems to have been a cut above anything ATI or AMD have done up to now.

Nvidia is usually the one that goes out of their way to innovate first with features like Gsync, hairworks, physX ect. I'd rather have any features that improve the gaming experience as soon as they are available.

My original estimate was that AMD's best card would be 5% faster than a 3080 with half the RTX performance and no DLSS alternative. Looks like I was pretty close on that estimate so no regrets or surprises really.
the_sextein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2020, 04:22 PM   #8
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
I think the extra features of the 30 series gives it the edge at this point in time.
At this point in time...... RDNA 3 is gonna be massive.

yoz
Old Nov 20, 2020, 04:24 PM   #9
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sextein View Post
I'm locked into Nvidia cards because of IRAY and cuda support for 3D rendering, animation and video editing.

Another main reason for me would be that it came out first and the time between card launches is more than double what I'm used to.

I also figured that Nvidia would be ahead in real time raytracing because they jumped into it first and have spent more time and money on it. RTX is pretty much light and shadow quality which make up a huge portion of the realism in modern games.

Other reasons would be reliable drivers weather I'm using daz studio or using SLI on the latest games the stability and support seems to have been a cut above anything ATI or AMD have done up to now.

Nvidia is usually the one that goes out of their way to innovate first with features like Gsync, hairworks, physX ect. I'd rather have any features that improve the gaming experience as soon as they are available.

My original estimate was that AMD's best card would be 5% faster than a 3080 with half the RTX performance and no DLSS alternative. Looks like I was pretty close on that estimate so no regrets or surprises really.
I'm not linked into either now Nvidia support freesync. I'll be honest and say my preferred choice would be Sapphire Pulse 6800XT. If I can't get one then a Palit 3080 any model. I don't need to upgrade but I want to so it's basically an impulse buy. I'll keep it a couple of years and then see what's around.
Ryzen 7 2700, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, Sapphire Pulse 5700XT, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, Acer XF270HU freesync monitor at 1440p and 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
Old Nov 20, 2020, 04:28 PM   #10
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
I'll be honest and say my preferred choice would be Sapphire Pulse 6800XT.
NITRO+ looks dead sexy.

yoz
Old Nov 20, 2020, 04:30 PM   #11
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
NITRO+ looks dead sexy.
More than I want to pay for not much more performance. The pulse cards tend to hit the sweet spot of bang for buck. I have a closed case so not interested in what they look like
Old Nov 20, 2020, 04:32 PM   #12
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
More than I want to pay for not much more performance. The pulse cards tend to hit the sweet spot of bang for buck. I have a closed case so not interested in what they look like
How much? I have not seen any US pricing yet.

yoz
Old Nov 20, 2020, 04:37 PM   #13
the_sextein
Radeon Northern Islands

the_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
I'm not linked into either now Nvidia support freesync. I'll be honest and say my preferred choice would be Sapphire Pulse 6800XT. If I can't get one then a Palit 3080 any model. I don't need to upgrade but I want to so it's basically an impulse buy. I'll keep it a couple of years and then see what's around.
It's good that it's an impulse buy. Cards are hard to come by at the moment and being caught in this crap when you really need a card sucks. I got lucky and even then I paid more than MSRP for mine.
the_sextein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2020, 04:45 PM   #14
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
How much? I have not seen any US pricing yet.
There's no pricing anywhere worldwide

Basically we'll know on Wednesday and it all depends on supply. Reasonable supply £749 upwards depending on card and bad supply £799 upwards. I'll decide on the day if any are available. If above £779 I'm going 3080 as several cards were on sale last Wednesday for that amount. I'm in no hurry but seriously frustrated with the crap inventory of both sets of cards.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 04:47 PM   #15
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
There's no pricing anywhere worldwide
Ah, ok, I thought I missed it.

yoz
Old Nov 20, 2020, 05:21 PM   #16
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

3080 at $50 more gets you DLSS, RTX, and drivers that you know works.

I think it's kinda a no brainer, TBH.

That being said you can't go wrong with either, get what you can.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2020, 05:23 PM   #17
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

My subjective tastes are the quality of the pixel within a dynamic environment, quality of features, proactive leadership on innovating pc gaming, flexible gaming tools to offer fidelity to improve immersion based on subjective tastes and tolerances. Tools are essential based on all games and gamers are not the same. Performance and latency for the tougher areas, worse case examples.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 05:30 PM   #18
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
3080 at $50 more gets you DLSS, RTX, and drivers that you know works.

I think it's kinda a no brainer, TBH.

That being said you can't go wrong with either, get what you can.
Absolutely agree about 3080. Hope it happens.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 05:32 PM   #19
Roadhog
Sausages

Roadhog can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRoadhog can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Y'all that complain about amd drivers the last amd card you probably owned was a 9700pro. I've had just as many driver issues on nvidia as I have AMD, and it's not many at all.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2020, 05:38 PM   #20
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
Y'all that complain about amd drivers the last amd card you probably owned was a 9700pro. I've had just as many driver issues on nvidia as I have AMD, and it's not many at all.
I've owned the Fury pro, Vega64 and 5700XT and you're trying to lecture me on AMD drivers? Really? I'm a masochist so I'm trying to buy a 6800XT. Do I expect drivers in first three months to be great, absolutely not. That's how it is. Jeez.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 05:42 PM   #21
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

nVidia

Seriously considered AMD this gen (first time since 5800 series) and my displays can support Freesync/Gsync, but went with Nv because:

4k performance - no contest here

RT performance - Some good games are starting to roll out with decent implementations beyond a couple reflections. Global Illumination and RT AO are game changers for IQ IMHO. The performance gap here is huge and I don't want to have to turn settings off/down on my new video card.

RT quality - I was a bit spooked when I read about poor[er] RT quality on AMD [denoiser] but I suppose this can be improved by driver updates as time goes on.

DLSS - After playing DS with DLSS 2.0 looking better than native, I'm converted. This is fantastic tech. I'm not convinced AMD will produce tech that is up to par without AI 64xSSAA algorithms. They'll likely use some sort of cheaper and easier to implement alternative, like checkerboarding as seen on consoles.

Nv feature set - Don't really care for streaming and productivity options and that sort of thing, but rather IQ tweakability, enhancements etc. I'm also more familiar with and prefer Nv's ecosystem.

Driver support - I feel Nv support is more robust in a variety of ways. AMD's AF issues are not good either, I'm pretty anal about filtering quality.

Nv will also roll out their version of SAM for [small] performance uplifts, so that evens out the playing field in that regard.

Availability - I wanted something now, in time for Xmas holidays and Cyberpunk with full RT, not next year.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 05:51 PM   #22
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
Seriously considered AMD this gen (first time since 5800 series) and my displays can support Freesync/Gsync, but went with Nv because:

4k performance - no contest here

RT performance - Some good games are starting to roll out with decent implementations beyond a couple reflections. Global Illumination and RT AO are game changers for IQ IMHO. The performance gap here is huge and I don't want to have to turn settings off/down on my new video card.

RT quality - I was a bit spooked when I read about poor[er] RT quality on AMD [denoiser] but I suppose this can be improved by driver updates as time goes on.

DLSS - After playing DS with DLSS 2.0 looking better than native, I'm converted. This is fantastic tech. I'm not convinced AMD will produce tech that is up to par without AI 64xSSAA algorithms. They'll likely use some sort of cheaper and easier to implement alternative, like checkerboarding as seen on consoles.

Nv feature set - Don't really care for streaming and productivity options and that sort of thing, but rather IQ tweakability, enhancements etc. I'm also more familiar with and prefer Nv's ecosystem.

Driver support - I feel Nv support is more robust in a variety of ways. AMD's AF issues are not good either, I'm pretty anal about filtering quality.

Nv will also roll out their version of SAM for [small] performance uplifts, so that evens out the playing field in that regard.

Availability - I wanted something now, in time for Xmas holidays and Cyberpunk with full RT, not next year.
Only comments I can think are,

Not interested in 4K performance.

Never had RT so can't say.

Apart from that I'm in if one is available
Old Nov 20, 2020, 06:00 PM   #23
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

But you may be down the track, especially if your GPU can handle it. Hi refresh 4k monitors in 2021 will be more affordable and IMHO take the place of 1440p Hi refresh monitors for [semi]enthusiasts like us.

It doesn't necessarily have to be 4k either, but also Ultrawide resolutions, and even DSR resolutions. If buying a video card now, I'd be looking at Hi-res performance for the future anyway. Just my opinion.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 06:05 PM   #24
demo
space cadet

I should have also added this to my list:

I can get an all AMD machine in the form of PS5/Xbox anyway. Nv for PC.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 06:11 PM   #25
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I realize it was a performance hit, but it was welcomed that Nvidia offered a more software raytracing support for most Pascal owners.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 10:14 PM   #26
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Waiting on a 3080ti hybrid or water block edition.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 02:15 AM   #27
alitayyab
EGS is the future

alitayyab once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'alitayyab once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'alitayyab once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'alitayyab once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'alitayyab once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'alitayyab once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Coming from a 1080Ti, my reasons for upgrading was Ray Tracing. I could do okay with raster only games with very few exception

So far I have played Metro Exodus, Control, Quake II RTX and CoD Blops CW. I can appreciate the difference between raster and RT versions and its definitely worth the upgrade (to 3090).

And since I wanted good/ best RT performance, there is really no choice but Nvidia.
Ali#1317
ali_tayyab
Game Endings
Core i7-9700K @5.0GHz + Noctua NH-D15S || Asus Z390-H || 16 GB RAM || Zotac GTX 1080Ti Amp Extreme Core Ed || Antec HCP-1000 PSU || Corsair AIR 540
Core i5-6700K || AsRock H110M-itx || 16 GB RAM || Integrated Audio/Video || Corsair CX430 || Cooler Master Elite 120
alitayyab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2020, 03:33 AM   #28
clerick
tfw

clerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwards

I don't imagine cyberpunk is gonna run well with RT on 6000 cards at 1440p without DLSS, so went with a 3080 card.
clerick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2020, 04:14 AM   #29
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Yes playing that game without RT would be a disservice to vision of the developers. Good call. It is also why I bought it on PC.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2020, 08:42 AM   #30
CyanBlues
Radeon Southern Islands

CyanBlues once held a door open for a complete strangerCyanBlues once held a door open for a complete strangerCyanBlues once held a door open for a complete strangerCyanBlues once held a door open for a complete stranger

which ever higher end is available - will prob wait to see what 6900xt and 3080ti (or what ever they call it) brings to the table