Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Radeon Tweaking, Modding, and Overclocking
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Tweaking, Modding, and Overclocking Discuss Radeon tweaking, modding, and overclocking practices. Want to post your benchmarks scores? This is the place!

Old May 18, 2011, 01:54 PM   #121
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
shadow001
Captain thread derail....

shadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog_ View Post
Yeah, thats the only way you can test the stability of DDR5 is to overclock and then see if performance drops. Though the gt580 has ddr5 rated at 5000mhz, who knows if its supplied enough voltage to run at that speed.

That's not the point anyhow....The point is that my score increased 600 points just by a driver change when everything else at the hardware level was exactly the same and running at the same clocks, that's the point..

You and Mospit were going on and on about a possible problem at the hardware level or configuration of the system a few posts ago and that my score was too low, and here i am knocking at 17k's door just from a video card driver change...
Old May 18, 2011, 01:55 PM   #122
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
You and Mospit were going on and on about a possible problem at the hardware level or configuration of the system a few posts ago and that my score was too low, and here i am knocking at 17k's door just from a video card driver change...
Proving we were right, you WERE low for score. We just assumed you were already smart enough to have tested drivers before posting scores. Our mistake

Our bad was assuming you wouldn't make such an inexperienced mistake as posting scores on drivers that were sub-standard
Old May 18, 2011, 01:59 PM   #123
Roadhog
Sausages

Roadhog can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRoadhog can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
That's not the point anyhow....The point is that my score increased 600 points just by a driver change when everything else at the hardware level was exactly the same and running at the same clocks, that's the point..

Not really, you posted results for a low score. We said it was a hardware issue since that is the most logical guess with the info given. Then you posted a new score with your memory at a different clock speed. So I assumed you found that was the problem and didn't know how to overclock DDR5. Then you posted your final result with apples to apples with just a driver change, and your score is still low for your system...
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 18, 2011, 02:03 PM   #124
shadow001

shadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
Proving we were right, you WERE low for score. We just assumed you were already smart enough to have tested drivers before posting scores. Our mistake
These are the latest betas released just a couple of days ago, so i used the most recent approved drivers as far as futuremark is concerned, wich were released about a month ago....

I'm sure Demowhc will also experience an increase in performance, maybe break into the 17k club once he uses these same beta drivers, does that also mean he didn't test drivers too, he used the last official ones too afterall just like i did...

The other thing that was proven is that video card memory speed doesn't matter at the performance setting in 3Dmark 11....
Old May 18, 2011, 02:05 PM   #125
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Not really, you posted results for a low score. We said it was a hardware issue since that is the most logical guess with the info given.
Totally agreed. We wrongly assumed you'd have already TESTED several drivers before beginning posting results for the best one, or at least stated you were on an outdated or otherwise untested driver. Our bad for thinking you knew what you were doing, Mr. Shadow

Sorry, had to call ya Mr. Shadow. Just watched 5th Element
Old May 18, 2011, 02:09 PM   #126
shadow001

Quote:
Not really, you posted results for a low score. We said it was a hardware issue since that is the most logical guess with the info given. Then you posted a new score with your memory at a different clock speed. So I assumed you found that was the problem and didn't know how to overclock DDR5. Then you posted your final result with apples to apples with just a driver change, and your score is still low for your system...

Roadhog... You're full of ****.

You automatically assume a hardware problem right off the bat, and what info did i give to suggest that....That's right, nothing.

I showed just now that GPU memory speed makes no difference at the performance setting, and you went off on another tangent completely, stating about maximum attainable speed with DDR5...

And according to 3Dmarks database, wich has a few thousand entries already, i'm right in line with where i should be given the clocks i'm running and they have several SR-2 entries in the database, so i know this will come as a shock to you, but i believe them more than i do you...
Old May 18, 2011, 02:14 PM   #127
Roadhog
Sausages

Roadhog can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRoadhog can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Roadhog... You're full of ****.

You automatically assume a hardware problem right off the bat, and what info did i give to suggest that....That's right, nothing.
I assumed a hardware problem because I assumed that you had the software/driver side down. But guess not.

Quote:
I showed just now that GPU memory speed makes no difference at the performance setting, and you went off on another tangent completely, stating about maximum attainable speed with DDR5...
That you did. But I was just giving info on overclocking DDR5 as a lot of people don't know about the ECC it has. No need to get butthurt. Was just trying to help

Quote:
And according to 3Dmarks database, wich has a few thousand entries already, i'm right in line with where i should be given the clocks i'm running and they have several SR-2 entries in the database, so i know this will come as a shock to you, but i believe them more than i do you...
Sure, I believe them too, but you are also getting beat by single processor systems with lower clocked gpus. If it were me I would be going wtf.
Old May 18, 2011, 02:16 PM   #128
shadow001

Quote:
Totally agreed. We wrongly assumed you'd have already TESTED several drivers before beginning posting results for the best one, or at least stated you were on an outdated or otherwise untested driver. Our bad for thinking you knew what you were doing, Mr. Shadow

Sorry, had to call ya Mr. Shadow. Just watched 5th Element

They were the latest Nvidia WHQL drivers and approved by futuremark....You gotta do better than that moshpit.

And here's another kicker, once i use the same clocks as demowhc on the GPU's, i'll also be in the 17K club...
Old May 18, 2011, 02:19 PM   #129
shadow001

Quote:
I assumed a hardware problem because I assumed that you had the software/driver side down. But guess not.

Demowhc used the same drivers and i didn't see you ragging on his ass...

Quote:
Sure, I believe them too, but you are also getting beat by single processor systems with lower clocked gpus. If it were me I would be going wtf.

And you also forget that they're all running at higher clocks than me, not lower....Show me one, please?
Old May 18, 2011, 02:22 PM   #130
Roadhog
Sausages

Quote:
Demowhc used the same drivers and i didn't see you ragging on his ass...

And you also forget that they're all running at higher clocks than me, not lower....Show me one, please?
http://3dmark.com/3dm11/1222238
Old May 18, 2011, 02:31 PM   #131
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
Significantly lower clocks, in fact. 850mhz.
Old May 18, 2011, 02:32 PM   #132
shadow001

Quote:

I'm 600 points higher, and he's still using his CPU clocked 200Mhz faster?...Wich matters a lot at the performance setting

I don't know why he's clocking his memory to 2200Mhz, but his cards are clocked lower on the GPU side by 50Mhz?

What were you proving again?...
Old May 18, 2011, 02:33 PM   #133
Roadhog
Sausages

Quote:
I'm 600 points higher, and he's still using his CPU clocked 200Mhz faster?

I don't know why he's clocking his memory to 2200Mhz, but his cards are clocked lower on the GPU side by 50Mhz?

My point is that your score is coming from the PHYSICS benchmarks. But in the GRAPHICS benchmarks, yours is really slow imo.
Old May 18, 2011, 02:35 PM   #134
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
I'm 600 points higher, and he's still using his CPU clocked 200Mhz faster?...Wich matters a lot at the performance setting

Just curious, what was that second socket for again?
Old May 18, 2011, 02:37 PM   #135
shadow001

Quote:
My point is that your score is coming from the PHYSICS benchmarks. But in the GRAPHICS benchmarks, yours is really slow imo.

Horse****....I gained several hundred points just by moving my CPU from 3.8 to 4.0 Ghz in the first 4 graphic test runs....They don't use all the cores, but still very sensitive to clock speeds just the same.
Old May 18, 2011, 02:38 PM   #136
Roadhog
Sausages

Quote:
Horse****....I gained several hundred points just by moving my CPU from 3.8 to 4.0 Ghz in the first 4 graphic test runs....
lets see it?
Old May 18, 2011, 02:39 PM   #137
shadow001

Quote:
Just curious, what was that second socket for again?

If the benchmark used all the cores in all the tests, including the graphics tests, it would be game over for any single socket setup and you know it...
Old May 18, 2011, 02:39 PM   #138
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

I think "really slow" is an exaggeration. He's about 1000 points off the average for graphics. That's not really slow. That's a little slow in my book, but possibly chipset driver related for as minor of a problem as it seems.
Old May 18, 2011, 02:40 PM   #139
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
If the benchmark used all the cores in all the tests, including the graphics tests, it would be game over for any single socket setup and you know it...
That's my whole point. "If" doesn't even count in horseshoes or hand grenades.

Edit: Keep in mind, horseshoes and hand grenades are very tolerant of not hitting the mark.
Old May 18, 2011, 02:40 PM   #140
Roadhog
Sausages

Quote:
I think "really slow" is an exaggeration. He's about 1000 points off the average for graphics. That's not really slow. That's a little slow in my book, but possibly chipset driver related for as minor of a problem as it seems.
for graphics score though. Gaining a few fps on those is a huge difference.
Old May 18, 2011, 02:42 PM   #141
shadow001

Quote:
lets see it?

This one is at 3.7 Ghz but you get an idea just the same:

Last edited by shadow001 : May 18, 2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old May 18, 2011, 02:43 PM   #142
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
for graphics score though. Gaining a few fps on those is a huge difference.
True. But I've seen a bit of play from one chipset to the next, and this isn't technically an X58 system, it's a server chipset. Intel may not have optimized the PCIe controller in the same way, more for stability then speed (another HUGE reason to avoid dual socket rigs for a home machine).
Old May 18, 2011, 02:44 PM   #143
shadow001

Quote:

I'm matched with demowhc pretty much in that last run, and he's running 30Mhz faster on the GPU's and using a CPU clocked 600Mhz faster.....

Last edited by shadow001 : May 18, 2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old May 18, 2011, 02:45 PM   #144
Roadhog
Sausages

Quote:
This one is at 3.7 Ghz but you get an idea just the same:

http://s765.photobucket.com/albums/x...37ghzpart1.png
isnt that on the broken drivers? I do lose fps from 3.7 to 4ghz, but same fps from 4ghz to 4.5ghz.
Old May 18, 2011, 02:46 PM   #145
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
I'm matched with demowhc pretty much in that last run
Are ya? Then seems like "a little low" was more accurate, as I thought. You're not having any problems that cannot be easily blown off as chipset driver level optimizations. Minor stuff, and obviously easy enough to offset.
Old May 18, 2011, 02:52 PM   #146
shadow001

Quote:
isnt that on the broken drivers? I do lose fps from 3.7 to 4ghz, but same fps from 4ghz to 4.5ghz.

They're the official WHQL release from Nvidia....The 270.61 release.

Make another excuse please....
Old May 18, 2011, 02:54 PM   #147
Roadhog
Sausages

Quote:
They're the official WHQL release from Nvidia....The 270.61 release.

Make another excuse please....
facts are not excuses.
Old May 18, 2011, 02:54 PM   #148
shadow001

Quote:
Are ya? Then seems like "a little low" was more accurate, as I thought. You're not having any problems that cannot be easily blown off as chipset driver level optimizations. Minor stuff, and obviously easy enough to offset.

More like going into the 17k club simply by matching his GPU clocks ...
Old May 18, 2011, 02:55 PM   #149
shadow001

Quote:
facts are not excuses.

Then go bust Nvidia's balls as to why a beta driver is much faster than their latest WHQL driver set, not mine....
Old May 18, 2011, 02:55 PM   #150
Roadhog
Sausages

Quote:
Then go bust Nvidia's balls as to why a beta driver is much faster than their latest WHQL driver set, not mine....
i will.