Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Sep 13, 2018, 02:57 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Jet Black
Radeon Sea Islands

Jet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird sings

Default Recommend a 34" 21:9 Gaming Monitor

Been toying with the thought of switching to 21:9. Currently have a 16:9 27" and don't want to go any smaller horizontally so need at least a 34" ultrawide. Seems there are a lot of pros and cons between the different monitors available:

For resolution, 2560x1080 I have read is less clear than a standard 1080p and that 3440x1440 is the lowest I should even consider.

For panel, IPS looks to be the clear winner on most parts, but I cannot find a review that says ghosting isn't a problem in some games. I've had only TN panels thus far, so would like something with better colours but not at the expense of speed.

Then there is all the refresh rate and freesync/gsync stuff (I have an nVidia card so assume I wouldn't want freesync).

I'm looking for an affordable monitor: Doesn't have to be cheap, but I don't want to be paying ridiculous amounts. It doesn't need any extra BS like ports or speakers etc (though multiple HDMI would be nice). And should have some level of quality so it will last me several years.

Thanks!
Jet Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2018, 04:51 PM   #2
andino
Radeon Caribbean Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I got the Alienware one. Can't complain one single bit. It's worth every dime.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/alie...or-accessories

Last edited by andino : Sep 13, 2018 at 05:12 PM.
andino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2018, 09:03 PM   #3
Jet Black
Radeon Sea Islands

Jet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird sings

The AW3418DW? Sorry I couldn't use your link - viglink kept redirecting me through their BS portal. I hadn't heard of this one, thanks! Still a bit pricey but another top-of-the-line one to add to my list with the Acer X34 Predator.

Before I shell out over $1000, wouldn't mind seeing if there are monitors that are 'nearly' as good as these, but lots cheaper.

Edit: This just seems like a huge money pit! If I get the UW 1440p monitor, I'll need to upgrade my graphics card as well. If I get the AW3418HW at 2560x1080 I'll be able to push it harder with my current hardware, but am I selling my future short with fewer pixels?

I guess the question is would I be better off with a 16:9 1440p monitor or a 21:9 1080p monitor.

Last edited by Jet Black : Sep 13, 2018 at 09:58 PM.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 14, 2018, 12:06 AM   #4
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
I got the Alienware one. Can't complain one single bit. It's worth every dime.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/alie...or-accessories
I want to know what this guy is doing playing whatever space type combat looking game is with a wheel.

I would also like to know what he did with the cord for his Vive and why he is using it with an Oculus Rift sensor.

Old Sep 14, 2018, 01:02 AM   #5
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Sea Islands

NWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird singsNWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird singsNWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird singsNWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird singsNWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird singsNWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviphysics View Post
I want to know what this guy is doing playing whatever space type combat looking game is with a wheel.

I would also like to know what he did with the cord for his Vive and why he is using it with an Oculus Rift sensor.

I am pretty sure that is not an Oculus Rift Sensor, as the base on them is half the diameter of what ever is in the picture, and it looks like what ever is on the top of the one in the picture is round or sphere shaped, not tubular like the Rift.

~I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability. ~ Ron White
~You can't fix Stupid! ~ Ron White
~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad
~Live everyday as though it is your last, it can all end at any moment!
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2018, 05:20 AM   #6
Falck
Radeon R420

Falck is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
The AW3418DW? Sorry I couldn't use your link - viglink kept redirecting me through their BS portal. I hadn't heard of this one, thanks! Still a bit pricey but another top-of-the-line one to add to my list with the Acer X34 Predator.

Before I shell out over $1000, wouldn't mind seeing if there are monitors that are 'nearly' as good as these, but lots cheaper.

Edit: This just seems like a huge money pit! If I get the UW 1440p monitor, I'll need to upgrade my graphics card as well. If I get the AW3418HW at 2560x1080 I'll be able to push it harder with my current hardware, but am I selling my future short with fewer pixels?

I guess the question is would I be better off with a 16:9 1440p monitor or a 21:9 1080p monitor.
I went with an 3440 x 1440 with my Fury X, had to turn stuff off/down (especially in Deus Ex Mankind Divided.) But now that I have upgraded my GFX I don't regret shelling out extra for that resolution at all.
Falck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2018, 06:11 PM   #7
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falck View Post
I went with an 3440 x 1440 with my Fury X, had to turn stuff off/down (especially in Deus Ex Mankind Divided.) But now that I have upgraded my GFX I don't regret shelling out extra for that resolution at all.
I think you are underestimating the size of the base, and the spherical appearance is an artifact of the camera angle and only seeing a tiny clip of the bottom of the sensor.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 08:17 AM   #8
Higgy10

Higgy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

jet black im biased towards towards 3440x1440, but be prepared to pay ~1600 or so cdn for a gsync one
CFX 290
Acer Predator x34 21:9
Intel x25-m 80gb ssd and 500gb SSD
2x1tb WD Black in raid0
Higgy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2018, 09:15 AM   #9
Falck
Radeon R420

Falck is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviphysics View Post
I think you are underestimating the size of the base, and the spherical appearance is an artifact of the camera angle and only seeing a tiny clip of the bottom of the sensor.
I think you misquoted here
Falck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2018, 01:12 AM   #10
Jet Black
Radeon Sea Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy10 View Post
jet black im biased towards towards 3440x1440, but be prepared to pay ~1600 or so cdn for a gsync one
Yeah. I think I'll probably get one of the Alienware ones since they are both G-Sync and are rated better than the Acer Predators. There are LG versions of both I believe, but they don't seem to be any cheaper.

Considered getting a Freesync model with high refresh and just use it like I use my 120hz now, but I think G-Sync is probably worth it. Will probably wait a bit before buying, though ... maybe something cheaper will come out
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:31 AM   #11
KAC
Lets talk stupid

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Asus PG348Q
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:58 PM   #12
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Not sure why the Predator is rated poorly. My X34 Predator was awesome, zero stuck/dead pixels, minimal bleed, and held 100Hz no problem. It was one of the first gen X34s though, I wonder if quality dropped

I’ve heard really good things about the Alienware though. Is it using the same panel as the Asus and Acer monitors?
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2018, 05:05 PM   #13
Athena
Radeon Southern Islands

Athena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAthena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

AOC Agon AG352UCG6 Black Edition I am amazed at the dark blacks and the color reproduction.
They rated 3 on their list I upgraded from a 10 bit 5 year old 1080p Samsung and I have not looked back. I have my powerhouse in the DP port running G-sync and the my older PC in the HDMI and that still looks amazing.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:07 PM   #14
Jet Black
Radeon Sea Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
AOC Agon AG352UCG6 Black Edition I am amazed at the dark blacks and the color reproduction.
They rated 3 on their list I upgraded from a 10 bit 5 year old 1080p Samsung and I have not looked back. I have my powerhouse in the DP port running G-sync and the my older PC in the HDMI and that still looks amazing.
I looked at that and can get one of them locally, but it seems expensive for a VA panel when I can get an ISP panel for nearly the same price.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 01:27 PM   #15
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

If the panel has a curve, the normal slight off axis shift you can get with LCD tech is more heavily mitigated. IPS or VA. I wouldn't wave off VA as worse than IPS either. It's not like the difference between TN and IPS.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib -
4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(Yes, darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2018, 09:52 AM   #16
Jet Black
Radeon Sea Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
If the panel has a curve, the normal slight off axis shift you can get with LCD tech is more heavily mitigated. IPS or VA. I wouldn't wave off VA as worse than IPS either. It's not like the difference between TN and IPS.
Ok, good to know. That said, if dollar-for-dollar they are the same, both have G-Sync and high refresh, I assume you would go with IPS?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 04:52 PM   #17
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

I like VA because I love having really deep blacks and a high static contrast ratio. So if given a choice, I'll go VA if it offers that. But allot of people, prefer having the usually 1ms pixel response time of IPS vs the usually 4ms of VA.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib -
4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(Yes, darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2018, 04:55 PM   #18
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

While IPS has crushed blacks that 1ms response time is a lot better for FPS than VA’s typical 4+.

However I’d still go VA over IPS. Color production looks better imo.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2018, 04:58 PM   #19
Higgy10

Higgy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Not sure why the Predator is rated poorly. My X34 Predator was awesome, zero stuck/dead pixels, minimal bleed, and held 100Hz no problem. It was one of the first gen X34s though, I wonder if quality dropped

I’ve heard really good things about the Alienware though. Is it using the same panel as the Asus and Acer monitors?
nah the freesync version is awesome is well. No stuck pixels, cant notice the bleed and overclocks to 86hz
CFX 290
Acer Predator x34 21:9
Intel x25-m 80gb ssd and 500gb SSD
2x1tb WD Black in raid0
Higgy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2018, 04:36 PM   #20
Jet Black
Radeon Sea Islands

Okay, so I guess I suck. I couldn't resist a Black Friday sale at Newegg and bought myself the LG 34UC89G. It is only 2560x1080 but actually has a better PPI than my last monitor, and I'm going from a shitty TN panel to an IPS, so I still notice a huge improvement visually.

I just couldn't justify going to a 1440p Ultrawide because my graphics card just couldn't push the FPS I wanted. Enjoying it very much so far! Cheapest Ultrawide G-Sync I could find (has 166 Mhz refresh too).

Last edited by Jet Black : Nov 30, 2018 at 04:44 PM.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:16 AM   #21
train2win
Radeon Southern Islands

train2win is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
Okay, so I guess I suck. I couldn't resist a Black Friday sale at Newegg and bought myself the LG 34UC89G. It is only 2560x1080 but actually has a better PPI than my last monitor, and I'm going from a shitty TN panel to an IPS, so I still notice a huge improvement visually.

I just couldn't justify going to a 1440p Ultrawide because my graphics card just couldn't push the FPS I wanted. Enjoying it very much so far! Cheapest Ultrawide G-Sync I could find (has 166 Mhz refresh too).
I was in the same boat and couldn't justify 1440p as I am not gaming as much and using it more for work. The only game I have been playing is Forza Horizon 4 and it's locked on 75Hz Freesync and I'm very happy with it. It is an LG 34" Ultrawide FHD 5ms GTG IPS LED Monitor (34WK500) and I couldn't pass it up as it was on sale for $349(Cdn) down from $499.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 03:46 PM   #22
jolle
Hipster Dufus

jolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by train2win View Post
I was in the same boat and couldn't justify 1440p as I am not gaming as much and using it more for work.
Feels like higher res is more beneficial for work, more real estate. While it's just puts a lot more strain on the gpu for gaming, for fairly negligible gain.
Depending in dpi and distance obviously.
But I'd put framerate over resolution if I had to, for games.