Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Feb 2, 2018, 08:54 PM   #211
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Installed the water pump today. Was a pain because some of the bolts wouldn't go in all the way, so I made a homemade tap with my cutoff wheel and cleaned them out that way.

Then I realized I needed to put the oil pump shaft in before I bolted the oil pump on, so the pan came back off Got that installed, so now the oil system is ready for priming.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2018, 08:47 AM   #212
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

This threads need a pic of a burnout when you are done
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2018, 11:26 AM   #213
Roadhog
Sausages

Roadhog can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRoadhog can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterGoa View Post
This threads need a pic of a burnout when you are done
It's 2018, we have the technology now for videos.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 3, 2018, 01:04 PM   #214
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

There will definitely be videos

There was going to be a video series on the build... Till I realized how time consuming recording everything was. Made enough for two videos then said **** it.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 05:09 PM   #215
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Didn't have much time this weekend, but got the lower intake manifold painted.

Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:02 PM   #216
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Primed the engine with oil and put the lower intake manifold on tonight.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 08:46 PM   #217
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Took a few minutes to install the fuel injectors/fuel rails (stock rails, 42lb injectors, might need to change that but we'll see), and thermostat tonight. That's all I have time for though.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 01:20 PM   #218
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Bought a wide body kit for it. Rocket Bunny Pandem, as seen on this car:

Eventually I'll start on the actual car side of things
Old Jun 13, 2018, 09:44 PM   #219
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Started wiring today. Injector leads are wired, heat shrunk, fiberglass wrapped, and taped at the engine side. Need to run more wires for the loom, so not ready to button the injector wires up yet. Also ran the wire for the cam phase sensor, and realized I couldn't find the engine coolant temp sensor, so ordered one of those. Got some more wire on the way as well, and some assorted pieces of heat shrink so I don't have to cut so much manually.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:24 AM   #220
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Didn't get a lot done last night, but did record the resistances on my coolant temp sensor so I can plug that into Tuner Studio later on.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 09:35 PM   #221
Elysian
SCAATSJW

More wiring done today, coolant sensor and cam sensor wires are run where I want them. Also mocked up the upper intake manifold and throttlebody so I can wire the TPS and IACV. Also attached the crank sensor, need to run the wire for that. Basically got the drivers side of the engine wiring how I want it, now working on the passenger side.

I found that the upper intake manifold and the valve covers don't play nice. The vacuum fittings on the bottom of upper intake come out underneath the manifold, and those 90 degree fittings bump right into the valve covers. Need to figure out if I can just chop them or if an intake spacer is a better idea...
Old Jul 15, 2018, 03:48 PM   #222
Elysian
SCAATSJW

I was starting to do a manual swap on my 88 325i... Got the trans off, realized the oil pan was the cause of the leak, not the RMS... Took the oil pan off, the oil smells like blown head gasket. Dumped the coolant, there's oil in there.

So I said screw it, the 88 is getting the 302. I'm in the middle of that right now, should have the engine in place by tonight.

Note the Geo Metro brake booster, I'll be able to confirm by tonight whether this works or not.

And that's where I'm taking a short break. Need to hit the parts store for some bolts, and need to see if I can find a C4 trans mount locally.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:08 PM   #223
Elysian
SCAATSJW

I finally have an E30 with a V8. Now to get it running...
Old Jul 16, 2018, 09:21 AM   #224
Roadhog
Sausages

Roadhog can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRoadhog can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Needs some more freedom.

awesome job though!
Old Jul 16, 2018, 09:47 AM   #225
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Let'er rip tater chip.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 02:46 PM   #226
Roadhog
Sausages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Let'er rip tater chip.
twin turbskies are a requirement in order to go full tater chip.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:03 AM   #227
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Have a remote mount brake booster on the way, from an E34 5 series.

Old Jul 21, 2018, 06:10 PM   #228
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Hit the junkyard today, grabbed a starter and some GM LS truck coils.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 09:50 PM   #229
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Tested the starter, works fine. Installed it, also installed the trans dust cover, and put the correct motor mounts in. The engine and trans sit much better now.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 09:37 PM   #230
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Upper intake is painted.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 08:40 AM   #231
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Had time for real minor stuff yesterday. Grabbed a pair of 7/16-14 set screws, a 7/16-14 tap, and plugged the two vacuum lines that interfere with my valve covers. Didn't need them anyways, but used red Loctite, just in case I ever did need them again.

Also picked up a PCV grommet. Need to finish up the wiring on top of the motor and start putting the intake manifold on. Not sure which direction I'll be bolting the manifold on, any input is welcome.

Last edited by Elysian : Jul 25, 2018 at 08:47 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 08:36 PM   #232
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Added AT LEAST 40hp today.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 06:50 PM   #233
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Fuel rail came in, started putting it together to see if the intake fits. It doesn't, but it won't be hard to fit, the fuel rail is just barely touching the bottom of the manifold in one spot. Plenty of meat to clearance there.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 02:26 PM   #234
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Another shot, to show the clearance of the intake manifold to the valve covers. Maybe 1/8", not much but just enough. That was before I put the new fuel rails on.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 06:57 PM   #235
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Got most of the wiring done. Need to wire up the TPS and idle control, drill/tap for the idle air temp sender, and mount the alternator to include that wiring. Coming along nicely.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:00 AM   #236
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Working out what I need for the exhaust, went ahead and ordered a custom spark plug kit today, as well as a few of the exhaust components. Need 90 degree angle boots on the plug side for the GT40P heads and the BBK shorty unequal length headers, but need LS boots on the coil side. Wound up ordering a Mallory Sidewinder kit and some Taylor LS boots. Should be here by Friday, so I'll be able to build them on Saturday, maybe start it by Sunday.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 07:24 PM   #237
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
...maybe start it by Sunday.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2018, 09:43 AM   #238
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Work is about to resume Need more coffee first.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 09:37 PM   #239
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Eventful day, till I had to leave for a friends get together.

Started the morning at the junkyard, grabbed a Fox body gas pedal and throttle cable, as well as the bolts I need to install the upper intake manifold.

Then wrestled with the fuel rail, got it mounted lower which gave the intake plenty of clearance. The rail kit I bought didn't come with everything I needed, should have bought one with a regulator, but I was able to find the parts to make the regulator I have work, so the fuel rail is complete. Tomorrow I'll start by mounting the pressure regulator, then finish up the wiring work.

And just worked out the LS coil wiring, so I can wire those up easily tomorrow.

Last edited by Elysian : Aug 4, 2018 at 10:16 PM.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 05:07 PM   #240
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Started the wiring harness early this morning, almost done. Had to stop to get something at Fry's to assist the grounding, and got lunch, will be back at it soon. Hopefully I have everything set up right.